Wedding Woes

This a lot of unpacking in 2 paragraphs

Dear Prudence,

I am a child born of rape. I didn’t find out until I was 21 and pregnant, wondering why I had a blood type that could not have come from the parents who raised me. All my mother told me at the time was that she was raped when she was 16 and became pregnant. She elected to keep me and later met my dad, who adopted me. She was hysterical while telling me, so I didn’t feel I could ask anything else. I submitted my DNA to a database hoping to receive medical information from potential relatives, without success.

My parents are homophobic, racist, passive-aggressively mean people. I don’t know if they were always like this, but it’s only gotten worse with time. I have distanced myself from them, and my son refuses to acknowledge them. I am concerned that someday they will reveal the circumstances of my birth in the form of a nasty comment directed toward me in front of my kids. I feel like I need to tell my kids before they find out from my parents, but I don’t want to burden them either. I don’t want them to wonder, as I do, what parts of me came from a rapist or whether I look like him. Do you have any advice on how to make it easier? My kids are young adults in their early 20s but still kind of naïve.

—To Tell or Not

Re: This a lot of unpacking in 2 paragraphs

• 1st - despite the outcome, points to LW's mother being able to continue the pregnancy. That couldn't have been easy.

2nd - Therapy. It doesn't sound like LW has come to terms with the situation. At least once LW comes to terms, it might be easier to either explain to their kids or consider family counseling.
  • I had to read this twice to figure out what was actually going on. 

You are free to tell your children your personal/medical/family history. It's their history, too. 

How to make it easier? Family counseling. 
  • 1st - despite the outcome, points to LW's mother being able to continue the pregnancy. That couldn't have been easy.

2nd - Therapy. It doesn't sound like LW has come to terms with the situation. At least once LW comes to terms, it might be easier to either explain to their kids or consider family counseling.
    I just really don’t like this, sorry. You don’t get “points” for continuing this pregnancy, because that implies not continuing the pregnancy would have been a less good decision, and I’m not comfortable with that judgment. 

Truth. 
  • Cut off your awful parents, and tell your kids in your own time. Boom. Done. 
  • edited March 2018
    1st - despite the outcome, points to LW's mother being able to continue the pregnancy. That couldn't have been easy.

I just really don’t like this, sorry. You don’t get “points” for continuing this pregnancy, because that implies not continuing the pregnancy would have been a less good decision, and I’m not comfortable with that judgment.
    No no, you misunderstood.
    Not everyone could continue a pregnancy, given the situation. I wasn't judging at all. I was more stating it wasn't an easy decision LW's mother opted to choose.

edit:
    Also horrible wording my part, I realize fyi
  • Based on the dates that I'm getting STARMOON44 said:
    1st - despite the outcome, points to LW's mother being able to continue the pregnancy. That couldn't have been easy.

I think her kids kids will be much less disturbed by this news than she thinks, and are probably much less naive than she thinks. I agree with you that LW will see that once she’s more at peace with it. 
    Even though the judgement is a matter of opinion I also wonder if it wasn't a choice for the mom.  

By my math if the LW was 21 when pregnant and her children are in their 20s, mom had her around 1974.   Look up the dates of Roe v. Wade.

1) I think the LW needs some serious therapy.   Regardless of how mom handled it the reality is here and now.   

2) If the LW has adult children I think in therapy she can come to talk about the reality of her life also for the sake of understanding medical history and her own psychological history.  

None of this is easy but hopefully with a trained professional she can talk about ways to understand herself and then explain that to her kids.

As for the grandparents - she can handle them how she desire to.  I wouldn't advise someone to maintain contact with toxic biological parents either.
  • banana468 said:
    Based on the dates that I'm getting STARMOON44 said: Even though the judgement is a matter of opinion I also wonder if it wasn't a choice for the mom.  

By my math if the LW was 21 when pregnant and her children are in their 20s, mom had her around 1974.   Look up the dates of Roe v. Wade.

1) I think the LW needs some serious therapy.   Regardless of how mom handled it the reality is here and now.   

2) If the LW has adult children I think in therapy she can come to talk about the reality of her life also for the sake of understanding medical history and her own psychological history.  

None of this is easy but hopefully with a trained professional she can talk about ways to understand herself and then explain that to her kids.

As for the grandparents - she can handle them how she desire to.  I wouldn't advise someone to maintain contact with toxic biological parents either.

That is a really horrible and sad truth.  She may have never wanted this child and felt forced to raise her rapist's baby.  Her baby too, of course, but that might not have been how she saw it.  Which could have played a big part in turning her into the bitter and unhappy person that she is today.

I think the LW should tell the children.  They're certainly old enough to understand and, just like it was the for the LW, it is a relevant fact for the family history.  I also think some counseling sessions would help the LW.  Both with coming to terms with this, because it seems like they haven't, and also for advice on bringing it up.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the kids are old enough to know the story.  They are adults and probably not as naïve as LW thinks.  I would hope not, but I don't think the kids would blame LW or grandma over this situation. 

LW should get counseling for being able to process this information better and to help with putting up boundaries with her parents.  LW may not be ready to sever ties with her parents, that is up to her, but finding ways to deal with her parents will go along way for LWs mental health.

• What a really horrific decision to have to make.  I'm not sure what to tell LW.  If she really thinks it's necessary, then do it.  But, I kind of feel like this is her personal history and just saying she's adopted by grandfather is enough.  It's not like if her parents blurt this out, her kids are going to think less of LW.  I'd be furious at my grandparents if I found out something like this as part of a manipulation or mean tactic.