Wedding Woes

Always the initiator

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been happily married for nearly 10 years. We have three kids and full-time jobs. Even back when we were dating, my now-spouse never really initiated sex. Since the first kid came along, we have less alone time, unless we have an overnight getaway and hire sitters. At some point, I realized that we only have sex when I initiate it. We’ve talked about it a dozen times over the last few years, again at my initiation. I’ve explained that I don’t mind initiating sometimes, but I don’t want to do it all the time because it makes me feel that I’m not desired. He says he doesn’t want to risk “pressuring” me. I said that’s not an issue, but nothing’s changed. The last time we spoke about it, a year ago, I said I want to see a therapist about it, but he refused and said he thought we could figure it out.

Now he waits for a signal of interest from me before initiating, which still feels like I’m effectively initiating. If I don’t get things started, we can go months without sex. (Yes, sadly, I tested that theory.) We’ve also tried the “designated nights of the week” approach, and again, if I “signaled” on those nights, we had sex; if not, he let the night pass without a word.

So I gave up. Now we have sex about once a month, because that’s about all I can muster in terms of initiating. When we do have sex, it is good, and we often joke that “we should do it more often.” But I want him to take the lead occasionally. Should I initiate yet another talk, and do it differently? I don’t know what else to do.

—Spouse Never Initiates Sex

Re: Always the initiator

• Why would you try and "test the theory" if you already know he's not initiating? Like, why deprive both of you of sex just because of who initiates. 

It's also interesting that it's the lack of initiation that is bugging LW, not the lack of sex that's happening as a result. Maybe the partner is okay with how much sex they're (not) having? Maybe it's not a big thing for them (it's not for a lot of people). Point being it's time to use your words; clearly, directly, not signaling, theory testing, or giving up. Because clearly it's not working. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
     Since the first kid came along, we have less alone time, unless we have an overnight getaway and hire sitters. 
    Um. What? Do your doors not have locks? Does the TV not work? Maybe no one has sex because you have to wait until the children are absolutely, positively not present - and come the fuck on. It will not scar your children to know about sex. 

I get the vibe that sex just isn't that important to anyone in this marriage. If you can "test it" by going months, I can't imagine it's all that important to you, either, and your partner probably just isn't aware that this is such an issue you'd write to a stranger over it. 

But I'm a big ol' slut, so I don't know. I only went "months" without because I was literally too pregnant to find a comfortable position, and then, you know, had a baby and shit. 
  • Unless they were co-sleeping, it shouldn't have been that hard to find alone time.  I feel like that is just a coping mechanism LW is using to help justify the lack of sex.

If LW still wants to do counseling, she should go.  Tell her H that she is going and wants him to join.  But she is going regardless. 

Or she can just start telling her H, as often as she wants, that tonight its sexy time. 

• Unless they were co-sleeping, it shouldn't have been that hard to find alone time.  I feel like that is just a coping mechanism LW is using to help justify the lack of sex.

If LW still wants to do counseling, she should go.  Tell her H that she is going and wants him to join.  But she is going regardless. 

Or she can just start telling her H, as often as she wants, that tonight its sexy time. 

This is what I was thinking too. LW does seem to know that "opportunity" isn't the only problem, though, since she asked her husband for therapy. 

One of the women in my mom group is self-proclaimed asexual. She's talked about it from her perspective of just never caring about sex or even thinking about it. So obviously she never initiates unless she (get this) sets an alarm in her phone to remember to initiate it with her husband. To me, this literally sounds like the saddest thing ever, but whatever.

What I take issue with in LW's letter is that her husband is still putting it all on LW and refusing to find middle ground. That's more a relationship issue than just a sex problem.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm noticing that the couple has more than one kid ..... they've found private time before to have another kid while the other exists ... did they purposefully go out?

I mean, I know this has run through M's and my head about intimate time after baby's born .... but I figure you just find time. My BFF has 4 kids and finds time with her hubby.

I want to suggest the idea of sex/couples therapy, but like PPs mentioned, it doesn't seem like either of them are too bothered when it's been awhile
  • She just needs to get over her irritation with always initiating.  It's not like he doesn't have sex with her or actively rejects her.  She also needs to recognize that humans can show desire in other ways besides physically.  She can look into coping mechanisms and therapy for that.

Unless he's turned into a really bad roommate, I think there are ways to deal with this.  If he's a really bad roommate, you figure out a way to either leave or live with it.
  • So, this letter could have been written by my H. I still get very insecure and I get very uncomfortable initiating. It's something I'm working on.

This sounds really dumb, but the "signal of interest" has somewhat worked for us. I'll let H know I'm "available" and he'll initiate. It reduces both my anxiety and his discomfort with always being the initiator.

But the key here is that we're both willing to do something about it. LW doesn't seem willing to meet in the middle here and her spouse doesn't seem willing to change much of anything, really.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever