Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Honoring Our Fathers

Both mine and my fiance's fathers passed away from kidney cancer. They passed within a year of each other and all this has happened within a year and a half of our wedding. We want to honor them both for us and for our guests who still miss them dearly. We've thought about making a donation to the Kidney Cancer Association in their honor and having a note at the card table, but looking at other threads about donations made me think this isn't a good idea. Any recommendations on how to honor them? 

Re: Honoring Our Fathers

• Options
    I’m so sorry for y’alls loss. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be.

Go ahead and make the donation, but advertising any type of charity is a crass thing to do. 

To honor them, give nods to their preferences with your menu, cake selection, flower choice, play their favorite song(s), carry something special of theirs on your bouquet/in your pocket, maybe visit a place that was special to them in the days before/after and talk to them about this milestone.

Both dads already had memorials (presumably). There’s a lot you can do to honor them without turning your wedding into a second memorial. 
    This!

• Options
    I’m so sorry for y’alls loss. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be.

Go ahead and make the donation, but advertising any type of charity is a crass thing to do. 

To honor them, give nods to their preferences with your menu, cake selection, flower choice, play their favorite song(s), carry something special of theirs on your bouquet/in your pocket, maybe visit a place that was special to them in the days before/after and talk to them about this milestone.

Both dads already had memorials (presumably). There’s a lot you can do to honor them without turning your wedding into a second memorial. 
    Agreed with this.
    I personally did bolded {sewn piece of shirt into my dress}