Wedding Woes

We are pseudo sick free today

Little coughs, but no body fluids!!! 

6let cried for 45 minutes last night because he couldn't go to soccer practice.  On the one hand I felt awful he was so upset.  On the other it reinforced that he actually loves soccer.

I made the kids clean out drawers to see what I need to buy for summer.  Now I need to get some work done.  I promised an indoor play place this afternoon.  It's going to suck and make me want to drink.

sidenote: I did a 4.12 mile run in 38:58 last night WITH a big ass hill at the end.  Y'all I'm slowly turning into a runner.

Re: We are pseudo sick free today

• @6fsn, that's awesome! I hear people who run love it.  Hearsay of course.  Just hearsay.

Today is my Friday. yay!  I'm visiting the parental units for my mom's birthday, which thankfully fell on a long weekend anyway. I'm surprising her (and my Dad) with tickets to see "Love" when we're in Vegas next month. H and I saw it 3 years ago but I heard they re-vamped it since then.

• I'm still in a funk. Part of it is work, part of it is family drama, and part of it is I'm tired of living in a crappy apartment. I'm heading to Chicago next week so I'm looking forward to that, but the week between now and then seems impossibly long. 
  • Sounds like 6let is starting to feel better!

Babypants slept through the night last night - she still has a cough, but at least it's not waking her up anymore. 

This morning she took 20 minutes to eat breakfast (usually it takes her 7 minutes). Evvvvvveryyyyythinggggg was a distraction lol - H, the dog, her bib on the kitchen table, the lights - oh lord. So we got a late start leaving the house this morning, but traffic wasn't too terrible. And at least I got more time with her in the morning than I usually do :)

This afternoon I am getting a draft out and then I kind of want to try to sneak out a little early so Babypants and I can stop by Whole Foods to pick some things up for dinner, and then I can start cooking before H gets home. He usually does the cooking on nights when I have bedtime duty (like tonight), but he has had such a frustrating week I wanted to surprise him. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @6fsn, that's awesome! I hear people who run love it.  Hearsay of course.  Just hearsay.

My husband hates every last minute of it.  He does it because he feels he needs to, but he's never happy.  I was on my high school cross country team and hated every minute.  I even faked an injury during a race so I didn't have to finish!  I'm faster now than I was 25 years ago.
  • @6fsn, that's awesome! I hear people who run love it.  Hearsay of course.  Just hearsay.

Today is my Friday. yay!  I'm visiting the parental units for my mom's birthday, which thankfully fell on a long weekend anyway. I'm surprising her (and my Dad) with tickets to see "Love" when we're in Vegas next month. H and I saw it 3 years ago but I heard they re-vamped it since then.
    I have just now started to love running. I do ~5-6 miles every morning and long runs on the weekend. I'm slow, and it took a long while to work up to this point, but I finally feel like I enjoy it rather than feeling like it's just something I have to do. 
  • edited March 2018
    I love running when I'm done; hate it when I'm doing it.

I'm exhausted today and can't complain to H because he got 2 hours less sleep than me:).  This week has been busy but good; tomorrow is Opening Day so I'm taking the day off of work to irresponsibly day drink with the rest of Detroit:).  Yesterday, I had a tasting with a venue we want to partner with and they agreed to make us a preferred caterer so fingers crossed this brings us a lot of opportunities!  It's been so long since I had that pre-sales call adrenaline rush; it was great!

@mrsconn23 Not going to lie, I love the netipot.  I swear I can kick a cold if caught in the early stages with sleep, netipot and water for a day.  The weather here is tickling my allergies so I should have busted out my friend this morning!

And while I miss my niece (those big blues looking up at me and asking "are you coming on the plane too TeeTee" was enough to crack the hardest adult), man I don't think we're ready for parenthood.  And since I'm 38, I'm not sure it's a thing that's happening for us.  

We weren't able to attend the March for our Lives last weekend, but we did take some photos - here's a peak of what I call my two reasons for supporting sensible gun legislation; my teacher and my future student.  His shirt says March & Protest & Call & Speak Out & Vote.
    Edited to remove photo:)
  • Yay for 6let feeling better and a good run! 

I hope your day/week improves, Charlotte. 

Have fun on your trip, CharmedPam!

I have a big exam today. My friend is coming over early so we can study together. I’m kind of dreading the rest of my week. The clinical site my school placed me with is not really a great option. I went to look up something simple about the doctor and found out something horrific, so now I don’t want to go there at all. My friend’s preceptor heard about it and might be willing to take me instead. I really hope it works out. 

• Good luck on the exam @levioosa. Does this school know about the thing with the doctor? Maybe share it with them so they don't send more students there?
  • @mrsconn23 & @kimmiinthemitten H SWEARS by the netipot. I made the mistake of watching him use it once (because I had actually never heard of such a contraption) and I was so horrified I will probably definitely never use one on myself. I would rather have my sinuses removed by an amateur LOL

Re: running - I have run for years and enjoyed it! The part I have always hated the most though is talking myself into getting out the door. I'm looking forward to warmer temps (finally!) so I can get back into running (it's been over a year) and finally lose the rest of this baby weight. 
  • 6fsn said:
    @6fsn, that's awesome! I hear people who run love it.  Hearsay of course.  Just hearsay.

My husband hates every last minute of it.  He does it because he feels he needs to, but he's never happy.  I was on my high school cross country team and hated every minute.  I even faked an injury during a race so I didn't have to finish!  I'm faster now than I was 25 years ago.

I'm like your H. I elliptical, not run, but I despise every second of it. People who enjoy cardio (and really any workouts) amaze me.

I got up early again to work out today. We went to bed late so I hope I don't hit a wall later. Tonight after dinner I'm picking up groceries for Saturday when we have H's family over for Easter. That's what made me get up - I knew I'd be miserable going home, working out, making dinner and THEN going to Walmart.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @sparklepants41 perhaps this is TMI but use it in the shower - it's way more manageable there and the steam makes it easier.

• Re: running - I have run for years and enjoyed it! The part I have always hated the most though is talking myself into getting out the door. I'm looking forward to warmer temps (finally!) so I can get back into running (it's been over a year) and finally lose the rest of this baby weight. 
    This is sometimes the hardest part for me; actually getting up in the morning. Once I'm up and at the gym (or outside) I really do love it. I started laying out all my running clothes the night before so it's easier. 
  • I haaaaate running.   I wish I liked it but I never felt good at it, always thought it hurt me and wanted to stop right away.   I'm cool with other things like walking, elliptical machines, but the running is for the birds!

I do need to make workouts part of my daily routine though.   We have a 1 mi boardwalk in town and I need to get down there to start using it.  

• Charlotte - I hope things start looking up for you.  Just keep looking to Chicago for now, to get you through!

6 - Yay for no pukes!

MrsConn - Happy Birthday to DefConn (BTW - I REALLY love that nickname for him!)

Sparkle - Yay for baby sleeps!  That alone makes life so much easier!  H and I are constantly saying how much we appreciate DD sleeping through the night!

I use nasal saline spray, but never a netti pot.  I feel like I would mess it up somehow!

This morning I got a batch of bobka started, it is a sweet bread that we only make at Easter time.  Fingers crossed it comes out ok.  I went to Whole Foods yesterday and they did not have my preferred brand of yeast.  They didn't even carry golden raisins, thankfully I had a box!  Next time, I'm just going to stick with Wegmans.  I don't know if its all Whole Foods, but this one seems small and doesn't have many options for things.  I did get a Cannoli Danish, so that made things right!

Last night was nothing crazy.  Dinner, feeding DD after her nap, letting her crawl around, bath and bed.  H went to bed early since he hasn't been feeling well.  I stayed up to catch up on Will & Grace.  I got one of the best night's sleeps in a while!

Tonight is yoga after work.  Dinner at home, then dealing with the bobka more.  I will do a final rise overnight and then bake them in the morning.  I can't wait to have the deliciousness in my belly tomorrow!

• whoo hoo! I got a pampered chef order in at 1/2 the price by hosting a party for my friend (you know what? I should have asked the board if anyone wanted in on that. oops!).  Can't wait for my stuff to arrive and should be here next week.  I needed new cookware like WHOA (what am I doing with my skillets they get beaten up so bad??)

• @mrsconn23 & @kimmiinthemitten H SWEARS by the netipot. I made the mistake of watching him use it once (because I had actually never heard of such a contraption) and I was so horrified I will probably definitely never use one on myself. I would rather have my sinuses removed by an amateur LOL

Re: running - I have run for years and enjoyed it! The part I have always hated the most though is talking myself into getting out the door. I'm looking forward to warmer temps (finally!) so I can get back into running (it's been over a year) and finally lose the rest of this baby weight. 
    So gross, yet works amazingly! @sparklepants41 , they have a squeezebottle that is a little more user friendly. 

Running: I tried it, got shin splints, found out from my physio that there was nothing I could do for it, opened a bag of chips and plopped my arse on the couch. 
    We have the NeilMed squeeze bottles instead of the tea pot thing.  We get them along with a bulk supply of packets at Costco. 

I literally felt like I was drowning.  I'm sensitive about my nose, so it makes me squeamish to send things up it.  It took me forever to do saline spray. 
  • MrsConn - Happy Birthday to DefConn (BTW - I REALLY love that nickname for him!)

I can't take credit for it.  It came from Wifezzilla, a former knottie, who is one of my most favorite interwebz friends on earth.  ;) His og due date was her bday, but he came early.   She, 6, and I were all pregnant at the same time.  I think our kids were spaced out about two weeks apart each, DefConn being the latest one.  
  • After a whole lot of nothing for the last few weeks with the rental ad for my vacancy next door, there TWO great potentials that popped up yesterday.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it is entirely possible they could pan out to be nothing.

One of the potentials is a bit intriguing.  He's an attorney who lives and has his practice about an hour away, but wants a place in town for weekends and when he occasionally has business in the city.  However, he also wants the option to use the unit as an AirBnB, for when he is not using it.  I've actually rented that unit out myself on AirBnB, on occasion, if I happen to be "between tenants" when a big event is in town.  I also did it once with tenants living there, during Jazz Fest.  They found other accommodations for the days we had vacationers and we all split the profit.

Overall, my H and I enjoyed our few experiences with using it as a vacation rental.  It's fun to meet new people from all over the country.  And, if there ever happen to be sucky people, they're gone in a few days anyway, lol.

However, with this guy, it wouldn't be a splitting arrangement for when it is an AirBnB, but there is still a potential for me to turn this into additional income.  Especially since he lives an hour away, I already broached the subject that since I live next door, I'd be open to a separate arrangement where I'd handle greeting/managing his vacationers and take care of cleaning after each group.  He seemed to really like that idea also.

I love the idea of a tenant paying the normal monthly rent.  With an opportunity for some "side money" to come my way also.  He wants to come by today and see the place.  I sent him some good timeframes for me, but haven't heard back yet.  Crossing fingers it works out!  It could be a real win-win for everyone.    

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 I plan on telling them, but the jaded part of me doesn’t have much hope they’d change it. I’m like 70% sure they’d probably write it off as “it was 20 years ago” with a ton of victim blaming. 

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 I plan on telling them, but the jaded part of me doesn’t have much hope they’d change it. I’m like 70% sure they’d probably write it off as “it was 20 years ago” with a ton of victim blaming. 
    I don't know how nursing works in the States but don't you have a governing College that you can you complain to? Or a union? 
  • levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 I plan on telling them, but the jaded part of me doesn’t have much hope they’d change it. I’m like 70% sure they’d probably write it off as “it was 20 years ago” with a ton of victim blaming. 
    I don't know how nursing works in the States but don't you have a governing College that you can you complain to? Or a union? 
    Yeah, and that worked our really well in the Larry Nasser case.  *sigh*

It sounds like what you've learned is super horrible.  I'd report it; it's the right thing to do and then the onus is on the college to take it one step further.  Plus, if it's worst case scenario, like I'm imagining, it creates a paper trail if said Dr does something horrible again.
  • levioosa said:

It sounds like what you've learned is super horrible.  I'd report it; it's the right thing to do and then the onus is on the college to take it one step further.  Plus, if it's worst case scenario, like I'm imagining, it creates a paper trail if said Dr does something horrible again.
    I just know that in Ontario they have a nurses union AND a College of Nursing that governs and regulates. They protect nurses really well and have been successful in changing a lot of the employment laws regarding fair work hours and wages. I also know they go to bat against any harassment or any issues of impropriety. It's one of the reasons that a lot of people go into nursing, because it's one of the most well-protected sectors (and well paid). 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I'm sorry levioosa. I image if you found it relatively simply others already know about it
  • @levioosa, geez, I hope you can find another clinical site.

I am really side-eyeing Costco right now.  They sent me an e-mail advertising "same day" groceries delivered with a $35 minimum purchase.  I'm all excited.  I click through.  Only to discover that this "service" is actually through Instacart.  Which has a lot of crummy reviews and is notorious for charging 20-25% above store prices and doesn't honor any store specials.  On top of all their other fees.

They're super shady with how they treat both their customers and their ICs, ie the people who either do the shopping, the delivery, or both. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    Indoor play place on a raining spring break. I might have to day drink. Apparently the science center was so
    busy people were just leaving
  • levioosa said:

The doctor had his license revoked from the med board of CA because of this incident. He completed “sensitivity and boundaries” training and was granted his license back. So it’s already been reported. But I can’t believe (well, yes I can) that my school didn’t do at least the most basic of cursory searches to see if the placement was good. I mean, I wasn’t even trying to find it. I looked up his name on the CA med board site because I was missing some info for my paperwork and I saw that he’d had disciplinary action with a link to the document. And the document had every single sickening detail in it. So at this point I’m going to say something to the school and hope the other site works out. 

• UPDATE:  Just got off the phone with the potential tenant I mentioned earlier.  He is coming by around 8PM tonight.  We had SUCH a great rapport over the phone!  I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Probably the biggest thing I'm worried about is he seems to have a more high end taste.  Don't get me wrong.  My place is cute, it's nice, it's in great condition.  But it really doesn't have high end finishes.  The living areas are wood laminate as opposed to hardwoods.  The kitchen has fairly new cabinets, but they are stock Home Depot.  The kitchen is a good size, but it has some "retro" tiled walls that probably date from the '50s and '60s.  Umm, can we pretend they're so old they're cool again, lol?

(Sorry it's huge)

Wedding Countdown Ticker