Wedding Woes
Options

Don't respond to anything that's not business-related.

Dear Prudence,

“Kirk” works for a company that’s a customer of my company. Before I was promoted into my current job, I worked closely with Kirk’s company, and I still maintain a friendly relationship with many people there. Kirk and I have had a friendly sports rivalry for the past few years. He regularly texts me, sometimes including others, when our two teams play. These smack-talk sessions have become increasingly rude on his part. He criticizes the place I come from and describes us as inbred. He’s called me an idiot for liking my hometown team. He calls the team captain a sissy and a girl (I’m a woman). He made disparaging remarks about a bus crash involving several players.

I don’t say much back except “Go [team]!” and reaffirming my love for my hometown. I sometimes ignore him, but he still sends me a ton of messages. Now our teams are facing off in the playoffs, so I expect a lot more of this. If my company didn’t need to have a good relationship with his, I would have blocked him by now.

—Enough Already

Re: Don't respond to anything that's not business-related.

• Options

I have questions for the LW.

The "smack talk" should ONLY be on their personal phone/e-mail.  Assuming this is the case then, yes, just block this person.

If the LW uses their personal phone/e-mail for business...ringing a bell for another letter last week, lol...then he should direct this person to the business e-mail/phone for business matters.  And then block them.

If the "smack talk" is on the LW's business phone or e-mail, I would politely and professionally request that this guy keep the personal banter off of them.

For me personally, when "smack talk" regularly disparages an entire gender, that person gets put on my "sh***y person" list.  That's not "friendly rivalry".  That's misogyny.

Wedding Countdown Ticker