Wedding Woes

Monday

How was the weekend?

Sports are OVER kinda.  Down to baseball, 1 soccer practice, and soccer tryouts.

The birthday party was interesting.  Good news is I got to hang with the SIL I like.  She makes me laugh my ass off so YAY!  SIL I don't care as much for said I "looked good for over 40."  Bitch.

DH is off today to work in the yard and he's messing with my routine. 

School gets out at 1something tomorrow.  Ack, but the current weather shows 85 Saturday which means possible swimming!!!

Re: Monday

• Well my whirlwind weeks continue. 

Friday we celebrated our anniversary (which is actually tomorrow) with dinner & drinks at places we went our first dates. Saturday was running, relaxing, and grading. Sunday was a lovely baby shower (with tacos and margaritas) and morning running. The race is officially less than a week away!

And phone interview Friday. It was just with a recruiter and I didn't terribly (as in actually did really poorly), but the hiring manager and his boss want to see me anyway and I have an interview scheduled for Wednesday. Here's hoping I can actually get prepped and ready in time. 
  • Ugh, 6, what an asshole! How did you not say, "Hmmm, can't say the same for you!"?

I had a great weekend. Just what I needed. Now back to work, which is really frustrating lately. Trying to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Weekend was kind of a blur.  Friday night, we picked up dinner and then I talked on the phone a lot to some friends of mine. 

Saturday, I could not get out of freaking bed.  DH went to work.  Once I got up and moving, I got ready to go see my mom with my sister and DefConn.  We had lunch and hung out with her for a couple hours.  My dad took DefConn back to his house so my sister and I could spend some time with her alone.  My older sister and nephew showed up after awhile as well.  Saturday evening, we went to a party way out in the boonies at a friend of DH's.  

Sunday, another lazy morning in bed.  We got up and went back to the hospital when we got word my mom was going to be in another day or two.  After that we went to the store and then came home to just get shit done that we've neglected in the last week or so.  My mom made a huge amount of progress yesterday and was actually sent home.  

Last night I was struggling with sleep.  I need to figure something out or else I'm going to reach permanently exhausted pigeon status. 
  • Whoa 6!

I'm coming into an intense work week AND I have oral surgery tomorrow.   If any of you have tips for dealing with a gum graft I'd love to hear them.

Friday night I had a phone call from my boss that was a bit of a hand slap.   I'm not in trouble but a general manager made a call and basically I was told that I'm empowered to yell louder than I did.  I'm taking that as a coaching moment but my personality is much of one that feels guilty when I get anything less than good feedback.  It's not a good flaw and I STFU and move on but yeah - not a fan of feeling like I could have done something better.   I just need to shake it off.

Good news - new opportunities this week make for excitement in the work space.    
  • wow, who says that? @6fsn, I mean...besides your SIL? 
    GL on that interview @charlotte989875.  Happy (early) anniversary
    @mrsconn23, have I ever recommended melatonin?  You may want to try pharmaceutical grade...? 
    @banana468, so wait, they want you to yell louder?

Weekend was great for me too.  Saturday I got up and went to a chiropractor for the first time.  She beat me UP! Also told me I "didn't have the best of postures".  OK.  Tell me something I don't know?  Hopefully her work can help that since my lower back needs work too.
    H and I had a double date with some friends and we saw DP2 and went out for a really good dinner.  It was a great night.
    And then Sunday was a bit of cooking for me, and we went and saw "breaking in" which was OK.  I wanted to try my peanut butter maker but we had to spend the majority of the day driving around, so I didn't get to it.  Maybe this Saturday.

• @CharmedPam basically a decision was made for one of my clients that my boss' boss did not agree with.   It was made without my input and I wasn't even in my office at the time it was made (was in transit from one facility back to my home office).   So the deal is that basically if something isn't passing my smell test to push back and do it quickly.

I heard it loud and clear. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh and I did screw up the water. Guest count was 100. Water came in 40 packs so I got 3 packs. I brought 2.5 packs home. 
  • I went to a seminar on Sat. about investing in storage unit facilities.  I was glad I went, but it was more focused on doing "big" deals.  Which, if I devoted a lot of time and effort, could possibly do.  But I just don't feel motivated or confident enough to be there yet.  Still, it was interesting to learn more about a field of investment that I've had an interest in.  I'm still more focused on getting a small/medium apartment complex under my belt in a few years and there were at least some very valuable lessons I learned about commercial real estate that would also translate to apartments.

Uuuugghhh, I was so excited about the 4-plex I went to look at on Fri.  I had thrown together some rough numbers that it would take $135K in rehab.  Which to me is a LOT and I thought I was including just about everything redone.  After seeing it, it would be more like $200K.  The purchase price is listed at $99K.  I cannot even imagine what that seller is thinking.  I would maybe pay $10K and even that would be after delving even deeper into more specific rehab numbers.  Someone more experienced than myself might offer a little more ($20K-$30K).  Or might go running for the hills even faster than I did, lol.

Some highlights of the tour?  A single dresser drawer sitting on the floor...with cat litter and feces in it.  Keep in mind, no one has lived in this home for at least a few years.  A bedroom with a teal chair rail.  Dark purple below the chair rail and jet black above it.  What is wrong with people, lol? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @6fsn, donate the unused packs to a food bank?

• @6fsn That was a really shitty thing to say. FI’s older sister is like that too. 

@charlotte989875 good vibes for the upcoming interview! 

This weekend was rough. 36 hours of it was filled with nonstop screaming and hitting. Work also changed my schedule around and I didn’t know about it so Thursday they called me asking why I wasn’t coming in and I had to rush over. Then I saw that not only had they changed this schedule, but also next schedule, and they had given me two holidays when I only have to work one. So then I had to fight that. It was exhausting. 

Clinic today, then homework. I’m taking tomorrow to study but I’m feeling overwhelmed. This semester is insane. On the bright side, I set some self-health goals and I’m excited to meet them. 

• 6fsn said:
    Oh and I did screw up the water. Guest count was 100. Water came in 40 packs so I got 3 packs. I brought 2.5 packs home. 

Wow!  I don't think you screwed up, that sounds more like not many water drinkers at the event.  I'm really surprised.

@charlotte989875 and @Jen4948, good luck on the interviews!

@banana468, do you mind sharing the price you were quoted for your gum graft?  I was given a quote, for all four quadrants, of $6K-$8K and I've been terrified ever since.  Plus I was told I would need to get my gums scaled 2x/year after that.  I just don't think I could do better than 1x/year.  Any choice is a bad one :(.  I might be able to cover it under my normal medical insurance, though it has a high deductible anyway, because the whole/majority of the problem is a complication of my diabetes.  But we all know how "wonderful and ready to help" medical insurance is//s.  I suspect that would be a long, uphill and probably pointless battle.  Good luck with your gum graft and I hope it isn't as bad as you are thinking.  I believe @kimmiinthemitten had that work fairly recently.

@CharmedPam, you simply must tell me what a peanut butter maker is, lol.  I have never heard of one.  Is it sort of like a coffee grinder?  Except for nuts and turns them into a paste? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    mrsconn23 said:
    @6fsn, donate the unused packs to a food bank?

Not a bad idea. It was cheap, but probably a 2 yr supply for us. I was thinking about adding a little Hawaiian Punch sugar thingy for when we have baseball snack, but that’s only 8 kids. 
  • 6fsn said:

Wow!  I don't think you screwed up, that sounds more like not many water drinkers at the event.  I'm really surprised.

@charlotte989875 and @Jen4948, good luck on the interviews!

@banana468, do you mind sharing the price you were quoted for your gum graft?  I was given a quote, for all four quadrants, of $6K-$8K and I've been terrified ever since.  Plus I was told I would need to get my gums scaled 2x/year after that.  I just don't think I could do better than 1x/year.  Any choice is a bad one :(.  I might be able to cover it under my normal medical insurance, though it has a high deductible anyway, because the whole/majority of the problem is a complication of my diabetes.  But we all know how "wonderful and ready to help" medical insurance is//s.  I suspect that would be a long, uphill and probably pointless battle.  Good luck with your gum graft and I hope it isn't as bad as you are thinking.  I believe @kimmiinthemitten had that work fairly recently.

@CharmedPam, you simply must tell me what a peanut butter maker is, lol.  I have never heard of one.  Is it sort of like a coffee grinder?  Except for nuts and turns them into a paste? 

I guess? I haven't opened mine.  This is what I bought (I think?):

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2903058/nostalgia-electrics-professional-peanut-butter-maker.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=SMALL ELECTRICS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=55822799&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835012&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3InYBRCLARIsAG6bfMQs_UhmXTQevju3DiJPhYsVnXYc2ngCdCj42EH3OgSPfjb_G7wDUGMaAicyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJ2lvJqOl9sCFYbqZAodlQYKPA

I also want to make a sugar free nutella with cocoa and hazelnuts and a high quality sugar substitute (that most manufactures won't use because of the expense..but they do have a sugar free nutella out there)

• @CharmedPam, interesting!  Let us know how it works out.  I'm already picturing a creation that tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup spread, but with Splenda instead of sugar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam, interesting!  Let us know how it works out.  I'm already picturing a creation that tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup spread, but with Splenda instead of sugar.
    I do have bakers chocolate too! To make my own reese's!...however, nothing tastes as good as the real thing.

I do have bakers chocolate too! To make my own reese's!...however, nothing tastes as good as the real thing.
    Did we all make the mistake as children of "sneaking" some baker's chocolate out of the pantry.  And our punishment was how bad chocolate tastes without sugar, lol?  ((Raises hand))
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2018
    @banana468 s+s is right; I had my first about 6 months ago. Honestly, consult Dr Google. I wish I had before because my Dr played it down big time and I was underprepared.  He said it was like a bad pizza burn; yeah if you put your mouth on the pizza oven! However, I’m very sensitive to oral pain so maybe it’s just me because he seemed surprised by my response.  It was hard to eat, and you can only eat soft food for like two weeks. If you get anxiety, ask for the gas, it’s worth it IMO.   Good luck!  Oh yeah, and expect follow ups every couple weeks for a while. 

Weekend was all work but good. Yesterday I worked from 6a-2p and fully expected to nap when I got home. Instead I grabbed the pup, a glass of rose and went to work in the yard. 

Boss/Bestie also has the day off today so I’m hopping in the shower and headed to her house for a Monday Funday!  Hopefully we can catch lunch on a patio before the rain starts. 

Oh yeah, I’m being a lazy deck person. We left the cushions out all winter (oops) and since it’s supposed to be a hard rain tonight, I have all the cushions sitting upright and I sprayed them with a water/dish detergent combo and am going to let the rain work it. Lol. 

Edited because TK wouldn’t let me spell check the first time!

• I'm no stranger to oral surgeries and orthodontia.   I had all 4 wisdom teeth yanked at 20 and ate steak the next day and tomorrow's graft is in one small portion in the lower left.

Hopefully I'm not downplaying this but I've had other things going on and I am going to try to Advil my way out of it. 
  • 6 - Your SIL can fuck off!  And I would either return or donate the extra water! 

Jen & Charlotte - Good luck on your interviews!

Banana - I had a gum graft close to 20 years ago.  My wisdom teeth removal was more painful.  The worst part was when they took the gum graft from the roof of my mouth, but they apparently don't do that anymore.  I know my periodontist told me he now keeps the gums in the mini fridge in his office!  Cold stuff was best for eating, so I would do ice cream.  But any soft food will work.  You also can't use straws for a while.  I feel like since your mouth is a naturally moist place, it helps with the healing.  I remember the stitches tickled when they removed them.

As for follow up care, more towards S+S, I have had to have my gums scaled once or twice since I've had the surgery 20 years ago.  It may be different since you are Diabetic, but generally I have 3 teeth cleanings a year and alternate between my regular dentist and periodontist for the cleanings.  My dental covers it because its essential.  The periodonitst cleaning is different than the standard dental cleaning.  Most dental insurances won't even cover a scaling a year, so get a 2nd opinion on that front.  It also seems weird that you need the gum grafts everywhere.  At that cost, it may be better to just slowly get teeth implants in the areas where your gums are failing - if you can afford them.  My gums receded at the bottom front teeth and my roots were exposed.  That is why I got my graft.  I am actually at the "end of life" for gum grafts, but my periodontist said he thinks I will have it for life, it has grafted in so well.  My plan was for implants when gum graft failed, but I'm glad that my doctor thinks it will last my lifetime!

Weekend was great!  Saturday it rained the whole drive up the NJ Turnpike to my friend's mom's house.  That was a sucky ride.  But the baby sprinkle was fun and it was nice spending time with my friends.  Sunday I got to sleep in and H made me breakfast in bed!  I did the dishes and did some shopping.  The sun FINALLY came out!  So we cleaned the gutters we could reach of the helicopter things and mowed the front lawn.  It was a bear since it was so wet, but H and I switched back and forth.  The weed whacker batteries weren't charged yet, so that still needs to be done.  We also got our box AC unit installed in our bedroom.  H made my birthday dinner of chicken fried steak!  Yum yum!

Lots of work to do.  I'm out of the office tomorrow and this is my last week before vacation!

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @short+sassy not with bakers chocolate pieces but with the baking cocoa and I tried to make chocolate milk and kept adding more and more since it didn't taste chocolatey
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    My weekend was good but tiring. Garage sale Fri/Sat went pretty well. I didn't know what to expect. Got lots of compliments that it was well organized, unfortunately that didn't always lead to sales but oh well. When I was inside with baby B some lady bought a tennis dress (still had tags on) for $5 and said she was going to go home and try it on and if it didn't fit she would bring it back. Uhhh this isn't Target lady!! He was just kind of stunned and didn't know what to say. 

Having daycare drama as it seems daycare might be closing due to financial troubles but they haven't officially said it. However staff members are bailing due to uncertainty and some parents are too. Unfortunately all daycares by me are anywhere from $50-100 more per week than what I pay so this really sucks. Plus the location is great and he loves it. I'm trying to find somewhere else for him to go but they have waitlists and of course I'd rather him stay if they don't actually close.
  • 6 - Your SIL can fuck off!  And I would either return or donate the extra water! 

Jen & Charlotte - Good luck on your interviews!

Banana - I had a gum graft close to 20 years ago.  My wisdom teeth removal was more painful.  The worst part was when they took the gum graft from the roof of my mouth, but they apparently don't do that anymore.  I know my periodontist told me he now keeps the gums in the mini fridge in his office!  Cold stuff was best for eating, so I would do ice cream.  But any soft food will work.  You also can't use straws for a while.  I feel like since your mouth is a naturally moist place, it helps with the healing.  I remember the stitches tickled when they removed them.

As for follow up care, more towards S+S, I have had to have my gums scaled once or twice since I've had the surgery 20 years ago.  It may be different since you are Diabetic, but generally I have 3 teeth cleanings a year and alternate between my regular dentist and periodontist for the cleanings.  My dental covers it because its essential.  The periodonitst cleaning is different than the standard dental cleaning.  Most dental insurances won't even cover a scaling a year, so get a 2nd opinion on that front.  It also seems weird that you need the gum grafts everywhere.  At that cost, it may be better to just slowly get teeth implants in the areas where your gums are failing - if you can afford them.  My gums receded at the bottom front teeth and my roots were exposed.  That is why I got my graft.  I am actually at the "end of life" for gum grafts, but my periodontist said he thinks I will have it for life, it has grafted in so well.  My plan was for implants when gum graft failed, but I'm glad that my doctor thinks it will last my lifetime!

SITB. 

It depends on the doctor and procedure. They took gum from the roof of my mouth and put it on my bottom jawline. The roof of the mouth hurt more than the graft. 

I ended up doing a couple days of half prescription pain pills. Wisdom teeth were definitely worse, but I was also 30 and they’re supposed to hurt more the older you are. 

• kvruns said:
    My weekend was good but tiring. Garage sale Fri/Sat went pretty well. I didn't know what to expect. Got lots of compliments that it was well organized, unfortunately that didn't always lead to sales but oh well. When I was inside with baby B some lady bought a tennis dress (still had tags on) for $5 and said she was going to go home and try it on and if it didn't fit she would bring it back. Uhhh this isn't Target lady!! He was just kind of stunned and didn't know what to say. 

Having daycare drama as it seems daycare might be closing due to financial troubles but they haven't officially said it. However staff members are bailing due to uncertainty and some parents are too. Unfortunately all daycares by me are anywhere from $50-100 more per week than what I pay so this really sucks. Plus the location is great and he loves it. I'm trying to find somewhere else for him to go but they have waitlists and of course I'd rather him stay if they don't actually close.
    say what? and why can't you try it on there?  Unless they weren't for her....but still.
    LOL at your chocolate milk story. 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018

@OliveOilsMom, thanks for the info on gum grafting!  My gums are really bad and have been bad for years.  I should have done more for them, but I really hate even the scalings.  And, yeah!, dental insurance only covers 50% of the cost...with an annual overall cap of $1K...and I (think) they only allow a scaling every two years.  I should get a 2nd opinion.  I was even thinking about seeing a peri in MS or more rural Louisiana, where the COL is lower and I'm (hoping) the same holds true for dental work, lol.  FWIW, I have a friend who is a dental assistant in Biloxi and she was shocked at my $6K-$8K quote.

I asked the same friend about dental implants, but she seemed to think they wouldn't really help my problem either, if I don't have enough gums (in some areas) to hold them in place.  However, it is a good question to ask the next peri.  Because that was my other concern with the gum grafting is the peri I spoke to made it sound like it would only help me for about 10 years...and that was 10 years with doing two scalings/year.

I was not aware they had stopped taking the gum graft from the roof of the mouth!  I wonder if that is universally true?  When I saw the peri who gave me the quote, it was only about a year ago and that was what they still do.  She made it sound like some awesome thing, but I thought it sounded horrible and feared that more than the gum surgery itself.

Edited: just saw @kimmiinthemitten's post about her experience with the roof of the mouth gum graft.  Good to know.  I had my wisdom teeth pulled and didn't think it was that bad.  But I was a lot younger (19) when I had it done.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, @short+sassy I did not get a quote that high but I'm having a graft on one tooth tomorrow.   

Their belief is that 3 years of braces is what contributed to my gum recession in some key places both due to how I brushed but more so due to what moving teeth does to gums. 

At this point I think they quoted me an estimated $1500 for the area with an anticipated payment of about $800.   And of that, we're lucky that we can cover it based on what we've contributed from DH's paycheck.   That said, if it was more invasive and detailed that would be a MUCH larger amount to contend with. 
  • @banana468 good luck with your graft!!

I am resurfacing. Last week sucked. Huge deadline - long hours at work and then took work home with me. Plus Babypants was out of school for 3 days with conjunctivitis so H & I alternated WFH with her. Poor thing was extra snuggly because she wasn't feeling well. 

I have no motivation today. After last week - and a weekend filled with washing and rewashing everything over and over and over I need a second weekend. 

• levioosa said:

(Sigh) I saw that also.  Because people are always complaining about how those poor multi-million/billion dollar companies are SO DEFENSELESS when they do the wrong thing, against their workers' class-action lawsuits//s.

I was actually part of a class action lawsuit once, against an employer (restaurant).  It was a few years after I had worked there, but I'd been an employee during the time frame.  I personally wasn't "up in arms" about their transgressions.  But the complaints were true.  At least in the restaurant I had worked in, ie not giving a paid 15-minute break over a 4-hour shift.  So I filled out the short form I'd received in the mail and sent it back to the attorney's office.   I got a $500 check a couple months later.

But, there ya go.  That's the whole point of why this decision is so awful.  No one or even a few employees were going to take the company to court for a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars.

Wedding Countdown Ticker