Wedding Woes

Don't stay for them. They'll be fine without you.

Dear Prudence,

I have been working at my current job as a part-time legal assistant for four months with the expectation that I would be hired on as a full-time associate attorney and given a promotion after I graduated law school. (In my state, you do not need to take the bar.) I recently graduated and spoke to my boss, who indicated that I was “not ready yet” and offered to let me stay on as an assistant full time for the summer with the promise to “re-evaluate” the situation in the fall. The job I am doing is essentially the work of an attorney: I do everything my counterpart (who got the associate position) does except make court appearances, and I do it for much less money. I feel betrayed and hurt—this has been a blow to my confidence and my bank account. Everyone has encouraged me to pursue other options, but they are limited at this point, and the firm would be taking a huge hit if I left because a full-time associate is leaving soon, too. I would feel guilty for leaving my counterpart with the extra workload, but I am also concerned I wouldn’t find another job anyway. I’m afraid that continuing to work as a legal assistant when I can legally practice law as an attorney will look bad on my résumé to future employers.

—Qualified and Underpaid

Re: Don't stay for them. They'll be fine without you.

• 1) Take the bar exam for your state if other respected attorneys in your field have passed it. 

2) Document your performance.  Add it to your resume and start looking.

3) Is your expectation reasonable? Were you mislead or is this aggressive for your field? 

4) Finally, assuming that your expectations are valid, don't NOT make a career choice out of feelings you have for an employer that isn't respecting you.    Treat all as you're doing the job you're hired to do but also understand that you should leave if other opportunities to further your career present themselves. 
  • Stay on in the full time position while you study for the bar. Pass it and start looking for other opportunities. I'm assuming none of the promises they made you were put in writing? 

Maybe they will re-evaluate in the fall. Maybe you will be considered, but maybe they'll do an external search. You need to look out for your own career, not the firm. They'll find someone to take your place. 
  • @Ro041, thanks for the example of how it is in WI!  Interesting.

Are there other states like that?  It seems like you always hear the path is graduate from law school --> take the bar to become licensed.  But I guess I only know that for sure, for Louisiana.  And we are oddballs with our Napoleonic Code, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @short+sassy I looked it up because WI was the only state that I knew of and apparently New Hampshire is the only other state that currently allows graduates from their state to become licensed without a bar exam.  

I live in the Midwest and had to take a bar exam to become licensed in my state but I sure as heck wouldn't have gone through all that hell and anxiety if I didn't have to!

• Ro041 said:
    @short+sassy I looked it up because WI was the only state that I knew of and apparently New Hampshire is the only other state that currently allows graduates from their state to become licensed without a bar exam.  

I live in the Midwest and had to take a bar exam to become licensed in my state but I sure as heck wouldn't have gone through all that hell and anxiety if I didn't have to!

I can definitely understand that, lol!

I had just been originally wondering if it was like a situation I'm more familiar with.  I work in the engineering industry (I'm not an engineer).  A typical license an engineer can get is a PE (Professional Engineer).  But they don't have to.  They never have to.  They can work as an engineer just fine without one, though may not be able to advance their career as far.

The only difference is an engineer needs their PE license to stamp drawings.  However, even for jobs where an engineer would never need to stamp drawings anyway, someone with their PE will typically be paid more and they're more desirable as a candidate.  At the three companies I've worked at, only the Project Managers/Leads stamp drawings, so a PE is technically not necessary for the majority of the engineering jobs.

In fact, the last place I worked, when a current employee got their PE license, it was pretty much a guaranteed jump in salary.

Thanks for clarifying it doesn't work that way in the couple states where a law school graduate (from that state) doesn't need to pass the bar.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "If you're smart enough to graduate from Law School..." 

The reality is that the LW may not "be ready" and is still in that phase of life where they've only experienced life in academia and not prepared for what is to come with real world vs. what they taught in school (the old saying "Never let school get in the way of your education), however now that she's got the credentials that may change what they've had her doing thus far.  OTOH, LW also needs to take responsibility to get the skills if the lawyer in question made this more of a mentoring type position.  If the mentoring type situation with the position is not the case, this is what resume's are for as well as making the risk to start in private practice possibly on the side.  Nothing says "you're ready" quite like diving in!
  • People graduating from law school are still in their early 20s, so I can see where LW's experiencing some anxiety over confronting an employer.

Having said that, leave.  Don't feel sorry for an employer taking a hit, when you feel disrespected and unappreciated.  Not only that, I'm assuming student loans don't give a crap about your employer's feelings either.  I've worked in law offices a long time and if you make mistakes, the attorney you're under sure as hell tells you about it and teaches you to correct it.  This sounds like someone is being taken advantage of, more than anything.