Wedding Woes

Welcome to Monday

How was the weekend? How does the week look?

Friday I met my parents at a conservatory.  We had a blast looking at flowers and letting the kids play in the new kid garden.  Then we went to out for German lunch. 

Saturday was 2 baseball games then a night at the Crew game.  We all had a blast there.

Sunday was my race.  I overheard Max say to M2 "I bet Mom loses."  M2 made me a sign to cheer me on.  Official results had me at 26:26 and in 26th place.  Max can suck it.

The rest of the day was kind of lazy.  I spent $200 at the grocery store, did laundry, prepped meals for the week.  We got all of the fall sports schedules lined up. 

Now I'm just waiting to see which days Max has school.  Our kindergarten is stupid.  They either go M/Th every other Wed or T/F every other Wed.  Letters don't come out for another month.

Re: Welcome to Monday

• 6fsn said:

How was the weekend? How does the week look?

Friday I met my parents at a conservatory.  We had a blast looking at flowers and letting the kids play in the new kid garden.  Then we went to out for German lunch. 

Saturday was 2 baseball games then a night at the Crew game.  We all had a blast there.

Sunday was my race.  I overheard Max say to M2 "I bet Mom loses."  M2 made me a sign to cheer me on.  Official results had me at 26:26 and in 26th place.  Max can suck it.

The rest of the day was kind of lazy.  I spent $200 at the grocery store, did laundry, prepped meals for the week.  We got all of the fall sports schedules lined up. 

Now I'm just waiting to see which days Max has school.  Our kindergarten is stupid.  They either go M/Th every other Wed or T/F every other Wed.  Letters don't come out for another month.

I wish schools would just be in or out on kindergarten. Our district is either mornings or afternoons, which in reality means working moms all send their kids to private kindergarten because that is absurd. If kindergarten is clearly something the school has decided doesn’t really matter if kids go or not, let’s just skip it and not have all of us be paying for it. Or go all in and have it 5 full days a week like real school. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2018
    Good morning!

Weekend was pretty good.  DefConn and I had an extremely low-key weekend and the kiddo was gone for most of it (with friends and at FIL's house).  

Friday, we got redbox movies and brought home McAlister's.  

Saturday, he let me sleep in until 10am.  It was glorious.  We spent most of the day relaxing and then went to my parent's for dinner.  He hung out with my mom while I went to the David Byrne (lead singer of Talking Heads) concert.  

The concert was pretty good.  Definitely not my normal speed, but it was visually interesting and his band was am-a-zing.  He basically had an entire drumline along with guitarists and a bassist.  Lots of choreography, especially from his back-up singers.  I only knew the Talking Heads songs he sang, but I really had a great time.  The weather was perfect. 

Also, I went with my dad, his childhood friend (basically our surrogate uncle, he's my sister's godfather), and his friend's wife.  I didn't really know his wife well.  He was a lifelong bachelor, so I was an adult when they met.  I got to know her better and she's very nice and funny.  

Sunday, pretty lazy day since the weather was crap and I didn't get to bed until 2:30am.  DH got home from his camping trip.  

Oh and we watched Wonder this weekend and it was great.  All the warm-fuzzy feels.  (Yes, I cried.  The damn kids movies got me in the last week, LOL.)

Still waiting on a place for vacation.  Telling myself not to obsess, but I don't listen.  ;) 
  • Good morning!!!

I had an awesome weekend. Southern IL/Shawnee National Forest area is much cooler than I thought it would be. We had a lot of fun.

We ended up in the town of Metropolis (home of Superman, and they are proud of it!) and by sheer coincidence, it was their annual Superman festival. It was hilarious.

It feels like forever ago now but the Primus concert Wednesday was fan-fucking-tastic. We met Les Claypool, H asked him about fishing, we drank his wine. The weather was perfect and we had an awesome night.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • They had to postpone the Primus concert here last night due to weather.  It's supposed to be tonight, but IDK if it will happen.  The forecast is crap for the next few days.  :/ 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    They had to postpone the Primus concert here last night due to weather.  It's supposed to be tonight, but IDK if it will happen.  The forecast is crap for the next few days.  :/ 

I saw that!!! H and I are HUGE Primus fans and the show on Wednesday woke all that up. We were considering going from southern IL to Indy for that show and take today off. Good thing we didn't!!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Our weekend was amazing! I left Friday with my Mom and sister, and H was already down there with the dog. We had a great time. We hiked, the dog swam (it was a little cold for us), I read probably 200 pages of a book, we ate tons of food, and it as just what I needed.

Back at work and I only have a little more than a week left. I'm feeling a little bad about leaving the non-profit; they all mean well and I do believe are trying to improve, even though they don't have the tools (or drive) to really do it. I know leaving is the right thing for me, but it's feeling a little bittersweet. 
  • Good Morning!

Weekend was decent!   Saturday we went to a friend's brewery re-branding party.   KIddos were well behaved while there, I ate good BBQ and enjoyed a couple beers and we came home and restocked the fridge with cold beverages.  

Sunday I took the kids to Mass without DH and both kiddos were well behaved enough to earn their Dunkin treat.   The afternoon I went into angry mom mode a few times but did manage to change the sheets on the beds and catch up on laundry.   

AND our lawn service came!!!   Our leaf clean up isn't done but the grass is cut and looks a MILLION times better.   Now the kids can go play on the swing set and it doesn't look like a jungle to get there. 

Sunday DH helped FIL with furniture moving and he visited his grandmother who had a stroke about 6 weeks ago.   She's improved but it's still sad.   There were some updates on an aunt and uncle who are also VERY old (in their 90s) and now they need to go into nursing home care.   

MIL is super stressed about the move.   DH  filled me in that they found signs of some water heater issues at the place they're buying.   They know it's not a pipe issue because the place doesn't use metal pipes and the cold water doesn't come out brown.   MIL flipped out about it and almost backed out of the deal.   I love her but when she goes through major life events (moves, weddings, first birth of a grandchild she gets herself so worked up that sometimes her thought process makes no sense. )  DH and I talked and I really really hope that FIL puts something in writing that in the event he's not able to make decisions DH has power of attorney so MIL doesn't do something regretful.   
  • @6fsn, 200 on groceries is pretty easy to do, huh?  Is it at least 2 weeks worth?
    @shessocold, that's where we stay when we visit my brother!  For now, anyway, while my parents have free rooms at Harrah's (omg best beds ever!).  It's a cute town. You only need to visit once but a festival would be pretty cool too.

Weekend was really chill.  Our boss let us out at 3 on Friday (usually it's 4) and then on 4 Thursday so he's been in a good mood.  Friday night H and I went to see Oceans 8 and had a good dinner at a new place.

Saturday I baked cookies for H and reorganized my closest so now I can move shirts around when I'm looking for something to wear and have a better view of what i own.  I moved the late spring, summer, early fall stuff in my bedroom and the late fall, winter, early spring stuff into the spare room.  I didn't know how many shirts I have and doing the swap was kind of a chore! 

Sunday was nothing. Unless you count paining your toenails productive....if you do, then I guess I was productive too.

• Wow! It sounds like everyone had at least a pleasant weekend, if not wonderful. :)@CharmedPam I do count that as productive. 

DH and I booked our Sri Lanka trip! It will be our first real vacation together, maybe ever, definitely since we got married. We don’t count trips to visit family because that’s not a real vacation. We decided to rent a car and drive across the island. It not far, 5 hours, and we are going to stop in the middle for the night to see a temple or two. The helicopter company replied to me email saying they had canceled all flights for June due to issues with the aircraft and to check back after the 30th. Yeah, no thank you. We’ll drive. 

Other than that, SSDD. Cleaning, working, getting fat. ;)
    Me too.  I don't count the trips back "home" as vacations either! Even though sometimes they're just as costly as one.

Have fun in Sri Lanka.  We'll need to see pics.

• Wow @short+sassy that's a big, exciting weekend! I hope your offer gets accepted. I love shotgun houses! What do you mean by succession property?
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

@starmoon- kindergarten isn't required in Ohio apparently.  We are the only district that does it this way.  A neighboring one does a lottery for half day/full day that seems like a bigger PITA- you pay for full day but get no extra education and you may not get your homeschool which means no bussing.  Our system is no prize, but it seems to work for most people and the daycares/enrichment programs really cater to it. 

@mrsconn23- when do you get to hear about vacation?

@charmedpam- I did rebuild some stock pile stuff, but I'll be back by the end of the week.

• Wow @short+sassy that's a big, exciting weekend! I hope your offer gets accepted. I love shotgun houses! What do you mean by succession property?

Me too!  My own house is a shotgun double.  That style of architecture is EVERYWHERE in NOLA, lol.

A succession property is an inherited property.  From the listing description, the finished side was done right after Katrina.  It looks like the sheet-rocked side had renovations started at one point, ie it is sheet-rocked, plus there are all kinds of construction materials dotted throughout that side.  But any renovation halted at least a year ago and probably a lot longer.

Me and my realtor suspect that whoever owned it after Katrina started the second side renovation but, either due to money or time, wasn't in a hurry about it.  Then, that person died, and one or more people inherited the property.  And don't know what to do with it and/or don't want to deal with it.  This type of group are often the most motivated sellers one will find.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a duplex a few years ago that was a succession property like that, though the 4 adult children held on to it for over a decade before finally putting it up for sale.  Of course, by then, it had lost a lot of its value because they hadn't maintained it at all.  In fact, three of children were so disinterested in it that they signed away their rights to the 4th child.  In exchange for her just paying the property taxes every year.  Which she hadn't done for the last two years, lol.  Our closing was delayed by one week because they had to be brought up-to-date. 

Here's one of the funny/wacky stories with that, for those interested: 

Another child, not the seller, had been living in one of the units rent-free for 10 years.  There was no drywall on the bottom half of one of the kitchen walls.  So no cabinets or sink there.  The two bedrooms had no flooring.  It was just the concrete foundation.  OMG, that guy was a real piece of work. 

I gave him a 30-day notice to vacate, the day after I closed.  He acted like he had no idea the house was for sale.  Umm...dude...I met you twice when I was looking at the property.  I used a strategy called "cash for keys", just to make the process go more smoothly.  Basically, I promised I would give him $300 and the value of two months storage (ie another $200) on the day he moved out, if he left...like he was required to by law anyway...on the 30th day.  And all of his things were out and there was no additional damage to the unit.  He told me he would need at least 90 days.  I politely explained how and how fast the eviction process works in NOLA.  So he might as well figure out how to speed up that timeframe and take advantage of the $500 I was offering him.

He then tells me that his sister had him sign away his rights right after he'd had surgery.  And he was medicated.  And he didn't know/understand what he was signing.  So that document was not valid.

I explained the property was sold with a clear title and I couldn't have gotten a mortgage for it otherwise.  I suggested he speak to a legal aid attorney if he felt he was entitled to some of the proceeds of the sale.  But the sale was a done deal and his beef with the sister had nothing to do with me.  Mind you, he had signed this document two years earlier and I'm guessing never said one word about it.  But, nice try grasping at straws that don't even exist.

He indeed was gone after 30 days and was rewarded with $500.  Plus I bought his used appliances, on top of that.  Figured that was a win-win for both of us.  My H started changing the locks on that unit before this guy had even started backing out of the driveway, lol.  We were so glad to see him gone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ILoveBeachMusic - yay babies!  Hope all goes well for DD and she heals quickly!

Charlotte - Do you plan on telling the non-profit about the disorganization during an exit interview?  I would!

I have been busy playing catch up on work at the office and still have more to go!  Hoping it settles down by mid-week.

We went down the shore this weekend.  We just got back from vacation on Tuesday, so why not! LOL!  But we went to primarily help move a couch for my parents.  Weather was nice overall.  I got a free dinner from my old boss and then DD went on some rides with her cousins at the boardwalk.  Now we are back home and need to start focusing on getting it put back together after vacation.

My mom finished radiation today!  She has been cancer free for a few months now, but she is officially finished her treatments!  She also has been growing her hair back and its currently a cute short pixie!  Thank you to everyone who offered prayers and good thoughts for my mom.  I have been keeping all of your sick parents and other relatives in my prayers too. 

I have u2 on Wednesday in Philly, so I'm gearing up for that!  I also have H's father's day plans all set.  This week we hope to do a small project each night to get back to "normal".

• 6fsn6fsn member
    Yay for @oliveoilsmom's mom!!
  • ILoveBeachMusic - yay babies!  Hope all goes well for DD and she heals quickly!

Charlotte - Do you plan on telling the non-profit about the disorganization during an exit interview?  I would!

I have been busy playing catch up on work at the office and still have more to go!  Hoping it settles down by mid-week.

We went down the shore this weekend.  We just got back from vacation on Tuesday, so why not! LOL!  But we went to primarily help move a couch for my parents.  Weather was nice overall.  I got a free dinner from my old boss and then DD went on some rides with her cousins at the boardwalk.  Now we are back home and need to start focusing on getting it put back together after vacation.

My mom finished radiation today!  She has been cancer free for a few months now, but she is officially finished her treatments!  She also has been growing her hair back and its currently a cute short pixie!  Thank you to everyone who offered prayers and good thoughts for my mom.  I have been keeping all of your sick parents and other relatives in my prayers too. 

I have u2 on Wednesday in Philly, so I'm gearing up for that!  I also have H's father's day plans all set.  This week we hope to do a small project each night to get back to "normal".

Funny you should ask! Our "HR" is a bit of a joke here and the two people who head HR are my direct supervisor and the VP of programs I was working for. So instead of doing an actual exit interview, they just gave me the questions and asked me to write answers to them. So that's what I'm working on today. 

I am going to be as candid as possible. Nothing is going to change here unless they really commit to solving some major problems. So I'm carefully outlining my responses and then I'll send them to my supervisor. I'm hoping we can chat about them, too but who knows. 

Glad to hear about your Mom! 
  • 6fsn said:

@mrsconn23- when do you get to hear about vacation?

I'm hoping for tomorrow.  Maybe late today, but tomorrow is more likely.   I'm on her radar, so she knows what I need.  Just trying to be patient, which is a struggle for me. ;) 

• Forgot to mention my car troubles have returned (sigh).  So frustrated.

For a recap, last Monday, my car wouldn't start at all.  My battery wasn't that old, so I thought it might be something else.  They determined it was just a battery that went bad too early and put in a new one.  I also had them replace the thermostat and thermostat assembly while the car was there.  But I've been driving the car just fine for a couple years with that issue going on.  It wasn't an emergency at all.

Picked the car back up on Wed. of last week.  Drove it just fine for a few days and then, Fri., it seemed to be a little rough again.  But I thought it might be my imagination.  After we came back from looking at that house and dinner on Sat., my H started the car a few times because a light came on that something was wrong with the temperature sensor.  The first couple times it started up, but it took a little while.  Which is exactly what it was doing for a couple weeks before the battery totally died.  The third time, it didn't start up at all.

He tried starting the car yesterday.  It did come on, but took a few extra seconds again.  He turned the car immediately off.  So the car was only on for 15ish seconds.  But the fan kept running for 5 minutes.

My car started up this morning.  Had a hard time again, but it came on.  Then, when I was almost at work, my oil light came on as I made a turn.  It went right back off again.  I was only a few blocks away so I continued to work.  At lunch time, I went out to check the oil level.  It was bone dry!!!  Yikes!!!  And I know it wasn't when it left the auto shop last week.

I walked to a nearby gas station to get more oil.  So I can at least drive the car back to the repair shop.  I am so busy at work today, but am going to have to leave early to deal with this.  I am so mad.

And WTF is going on with the oil now?  I had no issues like that before I brought it to them.

As a funny aside, I couldn't initially figured out how to open the hood to check the oil.  Turns out it is off to the side and not in the middle.  But anyway.  I checked the owner's manual and couldn't find instructions anywhere in the index under "hood".  Out of desperation, I start flipping through the manual trying to find that info.  It was under "bonnet".  You British MFs!!!  I do not need your different words at this stressful moment, lol.  MINIs are totally German now, but my car was manufactured back when it was a German/British enterprise.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just tried to post something on another board and it has to be approved? Why??
  • I just tried to post something on another board and it has to be approved? Why??

No one - including TK - knows. This is going to be another thing like the constant need to log in that will never be resolved (or probably even looked into) that we just have to deal with.

No one - including TK - knows. This is going to be another thing like the constant need to log in that will never be resolved (or probably even looked into) that we just have to deal with.
    I’ve found if I hit save draft right before I post it decreases the number of tiles I get that stupid message. It also saves the post in case it does happen. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member

It seems to give me that when I try to link to the outside interwebs.

• Hey @kimmiinthemitten how did your crazy work weekend go?

• @shessocold, that's where we stay when we visit my brother!  For now, anyway, while my parents have free rooms at Harrah's (omg best beds ever!).  It's a cute town. You only need to visit once but a festival would be pretty cool too.

We had thought about staying at the casino, but we found a little cabin rental that we loved. Now H wants to buy land and build a cabin. -.-

We ate at Freight House in Paducah and LOVED. IT. H said it was the best burger and fries he's ever had and he's a burger and fries guy. If you've never been there, I recommend it.

• @shessocold, that's where we stay when we visit my brother!  For now, anyway, while my parents have free rooms at Harrah's (omg best beds ever!).  It's a cute town. You only need to visit once but a festival would be pretty cool too.

We had thought about staying at the casino, but we found a little cabin rental that we loved. Now H wants to buy land and build a cabin. -.-

We ate at Freight House in Paducah and LOVED. IT. H said it was the best burger and fries he's ever had and he's a burger and fries guy. If you've never been there, I recommend it.

we may just do that! thanks for the recommendation.  H loves his fries.  He's soooo picky about them so this could either go really really well.  Or really really bad.

Try as I might, I have NO luck at the casino's, but they do have good bands from time to time and you can drink and listen to the band and not have to drive anywhere after that, so that's good.  But a cabin sounds WAY better and more of a vacation feel.  My parents can usually get free rooms at any Harrah's but they said once they retire they'll stop gambling and getting those perks.  And man, they are GOOD perks!