Wedding Woes

Curiosity question

2»

Re: Curiosity question

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

She just posted "they will be hearing from my attorney."  I'm not sure if they refers to the hospital or the employer.  This the same woman that sued an uninsured motorist after a fender bender left her unable to have sex with her husband.  4 hrs in an ER over a PULLED muscle does not seem bad. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    Ironically she's a nurse. 
  • 6fsn said:
    I really hope that there's no tagging of your nephew in any status because well, it's not hard to link him to the employer and see that his mom is threatening them.   

I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've experienced her helicopter antics? 
  • 6fsn said:

This is now, officially, my favorite part of the saga.

Seriously though, I hope your nephew is doing okay and is none the worse for wear.  I know it's a minor injury, but it is still no fun to go to the ER.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't expext them to contact the emergency contact unless the person was unable to contact them themselves due to amnesia or being unconscious. Not having their phone doesn't count in my book. 
  • 6fsn said:

She just posted "they will be hearing from my attorney."  I'm not sure if they refers to the hospital or the employer.  This the same woman that sued an uninsured motorist after a fender bender left her unable to have sex with her husband.  4 hrs in an ER over a PULLED muscle does not seem bad. 

Hahahahaha 
  • 6fsn6fsn member

SIL is still ranting about it. 

She's a very odd parent.  I'm not sure I'd call her helicopter as much as bad. She has made zero effort to prepare her kids for life outside her house. Which she's ok with.  Her youngest just finished jr year of high school.  There are no ACTs or SATs scheduled, no college visits planned, no nothing.  SIL wants her to go to community college and live at home.  Niece wants to go to school in California.  There was a big fight at MIL's bday party over this.

It's a stark contrast because my sister's daughter is the exact same age.  She's been on several college visits, taken one round of ACTs and SATs, started applying for scholarships, etc.  Her younger sister is 15 and already taking steps for post high school

• From what you've told us about her, none of that is surprising.  Especially that she and her daughter have radically different ideas regarding post HS plans.  
  • 6fsn said:

She's a very odd parent.  I'm not sure I'd call her helicopter as much as bad. She has made zero effort to prepare her kids for life outside her house. Which she's ok with.  Her youngest just finished jr year of high school.  There are no ACTs or SATs scheduled, no college visits planned, no nothing.  SIL wants her to go to community college and live at home.  Niece wants to go to school in California.  There was a big fight at MIL's bday party over this.

It's a stark contrast because my sister's daughter is the exact same age.  She's been on several college visits, taken one round of ACTs and SATs, started applying for scholarships, etc.  Her younger sister is 15 and already taking steps for post high school

(Sigh) I have a friend who is like this.  She is a bit of a recluse herself and very fearful.  She's always home-schooled her daughter and plans to at least through jr. high.  Then she "might" consider having her daughter go to a high school.

(Going on a rant)

One of the reasons she home schools is to basically keep her daughter in a bubble.  She doesn't want other kids to potentially be "mean" to her.  Her daughter does socialize with other children on play dates, at the park, etc.  But mom is always there and ready to jump in the second another child says an unkind word to her daughter.  While I can understand the instinct, it's not healthy.

Obviously, I don't condone bullying of any kind.  But, ya know, humans are social creatures.  And the schoolyard at recess is where we start learning those important lessons of social interactions and communicating with others.  That's where we first interact with people from different backgrounds.  With people who may not like us and might be unfriendly/tease.  With people who might lie to take advantage of something we have.  Where we might find ourselves sometimes being the teaser/mean one.  But that's all part of the long learning process to shape and fine tune how we interact with other people.

That exposure to some of the uglier sides of human nature and to social lessons needs to start in early childhood.  Not when they're leaving the nest in their late teens/early 20s.  Talk about a recipe for disaster.

It's certainly not my place to tell my friend and her H how to raise their daughter.  I know that.  But when the subject comes up, I will mention some of what I said above.  In a conversational, non-accusatory manner. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So SIL is desperate to be needed and fights it to anyone stuck there listening.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    6fsn said:

(Sigh) I have a friend who is like this.  She is a bit of a recluse herself and very fearful.  She's always home-schooled her daughter and plans to at least through jr. high.  Then she "might" consider having her daughter go to a high school.

(Going on a rant)

One of the reasons she home schools is to basically keep her daughter in a bubble.  She doesn't want other kids to potentially be "mean" to her.  Her daughter does socialize with other children on play dates, at the park, etc.  But mom is always there and ready to jump in the second another child says an unkind word to her daughter.  While I can understand the instinct, it's not healthy.

Obviously, I don't condone bullying of any kind.  But, ya know, humans are social creatures.  And the schoolyard at recess is where we start learning those important lessons of social interactions and communicating with others.  That's where we first interact with people from different backgrounds.  With people who may not like us and might be unfriendly/tease.  With people who might lie to take advantage of something we have.  Where we might find ourselves sometimes being the teaser/mean one.  But that's all part of the long learning process to shape and fine tune how we interact with other people.

That exposure to some of the uglier sides of human nature and to social lessons needs to start in early childhood.  Not when they're leaving the nest in their late teens/early 20s.  Talk about a recipe for disaster.

It's certainly not my place to tell my friend and her H how to raise their daughter.  I know that.  But when the subject comes up, I will mention some of what I said above.  In a conversational, non-accusatory manner. 

Your description of how your friend is raising her daughter is what I picture when a new Knottie has a meltdown and accuses us of being mean when we all unanimously say that all SO’s have to be invited or that an outdoor ceremony won’t work in the Northeast in January.
  • eileenrob said:

My H has to go to the hospital from time to time for something work-related (he’s a firefighter).  The rule of thumb is if youre able to call home yourself, you do.  Hearing from the house or hosp makes it seem a lot worse.
    I want a follow-up answer to my post.

I think it a lot depends on the position and the potential for injury. I work in offices (the majority of my time). Injuries, to anyone, is uncommon and not expected. So if I was taken to the hospital it's probably an emergency and I would hope someone would call my husband. I wouldn't expect the hospital to call unless I couldn't. 

Now if the job is such that injuries are common or anticipated then maybe this does not constitute an emergency and a call isn't necessary. 
    This is just a hypothetical question and not suppose to be taken in any sort of way.

If you twisted your ankle coming down the stairs and it was policy that all injuries bigger than a paper cut had to go through the ER, would you expect them to call your H? Not a co-worker or friend but HR or your boss?
    100% no, I’d be appalled if they did.