Wedding Woes

Prudie Day!

Today is a practice in not burning bridges. 

Things at the nonprofit have gone from dysfunctional and chaotic to outright ridiculous. LSS: we have a grant report due, the work isn't done (because no one here would push to do it) and now I'm being asked to finish everything in the last few days I'm here.

Was actually just told to "Just do it because we're not losing out on $10,000; it doesn't have to be perfect, or good, it just has to be done". Awesome. This is WEEKS (or longer) of work. I'm taking my damn time on it because this place is insane. 

Please tell me there is a good Prudie today!

Re: Prudie Day!

• Aw, man, Charlotte that sounds like a complete shit show!

SSDD for me. Trying to decide if I can make it though the next several months here or not. This job (or lack thereof) is sucking the life right out of me. One of my agents had a meeting with Boss and he was promised a resolution by Friday. I wasn't in on the meeting so I don't know what was discussed regarding me, but I'd be willing to bet money that I still won't have my job outlined. H and I have some big decisions in the next several weeks!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Aw, man, Charlotte that sounds like a complete shit show!

SSDD for me. Trying to decide if I can make it though the next several months here or not. This job (or lack thereof) is sucking the life right out of me. One of my agents had a meeting with Boss and he was promised a resolution by Friday. I wasn't in on the meeting so I don't know what was discussed regarding me, but I'd be willing to bet money that I still won't have my job outlined. H and I have some big decisions in the next several weeks!

This is the most accurate way to describe this place. 

I'm sorry your job sucks. If you looked for something new would in be in your current area (geographically) or would this push you guys to make plans on moving? 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

That's messed up Charlotte. 

Sorry the job sucks Shessocold.

Nothing much here.  I have OFFICIALLY lost 30 pounds!! 

6let's baseball team has sucked all season.  I mean AWFUL.  We started tournaments Monday night and I'll be damned they won.  Last night was semifinals and they won again!  I hate baseball and just want this season over.   In total mom mode- I keep looking at the white baseball pants going "I don't have to worry about the stains, it's the last game." But the games keep coming!!!  Last game is Saturday no matter what.

DH is trying to plan a couple of day trips with the family and I'm all "good luck with that.  Our schedule is full until August."  I think he's mad I filled the calendar, but I'm not spending 2 months with 3 kids and 0 plans.

• 30 pounds is AWESOME, 6! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • That's awesome @6fsn, 30 pounds is amazing!!!
  • @charlotte989875 that place sounds insane - so happy for you that you'll be done soon!

@6fsn Congratulations on the weight loss! 

SSDD here as well. Things are still slow work-wise but should start picking up soon. In the meantime, I'm sitting at my desk attempting to look busy and stretch out the little work I have to do. I'm also trying to register H and I for our second half marathon of the year and I'm waiting for him to email me back that he definitely wants to do it. I'm not wasting $75 on him if he's not serious about doing it. 
  • This is the most accurate way to describe this place. 

I'm sorry your job sucks. If you looked for something new would in be in your current area (geographically) or would this push you guys to make plans on moving? 

That's where we're torn. We were planning on getting the moving ball rolling in the spring. But we've gotten like 1,000 signs telling us to go now, including the crazy coincidence that a family friend who owns a business has a partner and office in the exact town we want to move to and they have a job opening.

But we need to get our house ready to sell, not to mention actually selling it. And I paid for and committed to football season and I would really screw my sister if I bailed on that.

• @6fsn, wtg! That's great
    @charlotte989875, oh man, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! Nice integrity on their part
    @shessocold, I agree with starmoon - I think she would understand if you had to take the opportunity now.  Could you sell your tickets to someone she knows so she's not out of a buddy to go with?

SSDD for me.  Just waiting for the weekend to get here.

• LOL, that's not how I was looking at it but you're right - delaying life over football does sound completely ridiculous! Especially Bears football!

I doubt we could find someone to take all 8 games, or even a combo of people to go to all 8. But that doesn't mean she couldn't sell the pair, either to our aunt and uncle or someone else.

A lot to think about! I'm starting to worry that all these reason we have right now to wait until the spring are cop-outs. We have very little going on this weekend so we'll have time to really discuss. I'm starting a pro/con list now. Yay lists!

I know selling the house would be a major factor.  You would want to put it up on the market before Christmas, I think summer is a great time because families would want to move before the school year starts so it's A LOT to think about in a short period of time.  

• LOL, that's not how I was looking at it but you're right - delaying life over football does sound completely ridiculous! Especially Bears football!

I doubt we could find someone to take all 8 games, or even a combo of people to go to all 8. But that doesn't mean she couldn't sell the pair, either to our aunt and uncle or someone else.

A lot to think about! I'm starting to worry that all these reason we have right now to wait until the spring are cop-outs. We have very little going on this weekend so we'll have time to really discuss. I'm starting a pro/con list now. Yay lists!

This is exactly what I did when I first started thinking about leaving academia last year. I had to work out some of my thoughts/feelings on it before H and I discussed it. 

Could you rent your house in the near future instead of trying to sell right away? 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    This is the most accurate way to describe this place. 

That's where we're torn. We were planning on getting the moving ball rolling in the spring. But we've gotten like 1,000 signs telling us to go now, including the crazy coincidence that a family friend who owns a business has a partner and office in the exact town we want to move to and they have a job opening.

But we need to get our house ready to sell, not to mention actually selling it. And I paid for and committed to football season and I would really screw my sister if I bailed on that.

I'm not sure if this means a job for you or your H but, unless that person is in a field where jobs will be fairly easy to come by, this is a potential big hurdle to a move that would vanish.

You CAN get a house ready to sell this fast.  It just might be a lot of work and running around, depending on how much it needs.  Speak to a real estate agent about the market you are in.  If it's a hot one for sellers, it might only be 2 months max. to sell.  And I mean being at the closing table within 2 months.  If it's so-so, you all might have to sell for a bit less than comps to speed up the process.

You probably know this, but you also don't literally have to be back in Illinois to close.  You can typically sign whatever you need to in front of a notary and e-mail/fax it over to the title company.

Edited to add:  You probably don't want to mess with getting a tenant, unless you plan on keeping the house for at least a year.  Though, if AirBnB is an option for the area, that is short-term by nature.  However, you'll have to account for property management fees for either one of those scenarios.  Roughly 10% of the gross income.

If you all are thinking about either one of these routes, feel free to PM me.  I have a program I use to analyze rental property numbers and a subscription to a service (unlimited searches) that will pinpoint market rent for any particular address.  I'd be happy to help you all out with the number crunching to see how up or down you all would be on monthly cash flow for a rental.    

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I'm not sure if this means a job for you or your H but, unless that person is in a field where jobs will be fairly easy to come by, this is a potential big hurdle to a move that would vanish.

You CAN get a house ready to sell this fast.  Speak to a real estate agent about the market you are in.  If it's a hot one for sellers, it might only be 2 months max. to sell.  And I mean being at the closing table within 2 months.  If it's so-so, you all might have to sell for a bit less than comps to speed up the process.

You probably know this, but you also don't literally have to be back in Illinois to close.  You can typically sign whatever you need to in front of a notary and e-mail/fax it over to the title company.

We have yet to be physically present to close on a house. Buying or selling. We'll have to this time around, but we haven't yet. 
  • We have yet to be physically present to close on a house. Buying or selling. We'll have to this time around, but we haven't yet. 

Yes, haha!  I've bought 4 properties.  Two of them didn't have the seller at closing.

And one of those I bought through an auction site, so even the title company was not local.  I was literally going to meet the notary at the Wendy's across the street from where I work, lol.  But then my real estate agent offered us her office to use, which was a better option.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • U2 was good last night.  Not great, but good.  They did a lot of their current album, which I bought in March, but my technological issues have not allowed me to listen to!  So that part was a bit slow for me.  They also closed the encore with songs that were slow and I just thought they were weird songs to close out a rock concert with! 

I also want to complain about the Wells Fargo Center!  They are renovating.  Redoing all the seats and concessions, etc.  So now the seats have cup holders in the arms of the chairs instead of on the floor by your feet.  I'm not skinny, but generally I fit fine into seats.  I had to pull my hips forward out straight before I could stand up.  The cup holders were literally blocking me from just sitting down normal!  I saw it happen to a skinny person in front of me too, so I didn't feel so bad about myself.  Also, the cup holders are not comfortable to lean your arm against.  I'm not a fan of these new seats and I hope there aren't many reasons for me to go back!

Not much tonight.  I have a crock pot meal in this morning.  We have mountains of clean clothes to fold, so that will probably be our evening.

• Congrats @6fsn! That’s amazing!

@charlotte989875, that is so frustrating. How do they think grants work? Do they think it’s like that one episode of Grey’s Anatomy where Meredith decides last minute to apply for a grant and she finishes it in one night? 

Studying today. There’s a chance I might go on a hike and dinner later with my FSILs, but it’s kind of hot and I don’t know if I want older FSIL making judgy comments/making everything about her. if I don’t hike I’ll try to gym. 

• U2 was good last night.  Not great, but good.  They did a lot of their current album, which I bought in March, but my technological issues have not allowed me to listen to!  So that part was a bit slow for me.  They also closed the encore with songs that were slow and I just thought they were weird songs to close out a rock concert with! 

I also want to complain about the Wells Fargo Center!  They are renovating.  Redoing all the seats and concessions, etc.  So now the seats have cup holders in the arms of the chairs instead of on the floor by your feet.  I'm not skinny, but generally I fit fine into seats.  I had to pull my hips forward out straight before I could stand up.  The cup holders were literally blocking me from just sitting down normal!  I saw it happen to a skinny person in front of me too, so I didn't feel so bad about myself.  Also, the cup holders are not comfortable to lean your arm against.  I'm not a fan of these new seats and I hope there aren't many reasons for me to go back!

Not much tonight.  I have a crock pot meal in this morning.  We have mountains of clean clothes to fold, so that will probably be our evening.

cc most of the venues I go to!  I feel like they're trying to cram more seats in as possible (understand) but ontop of small seats to begin with, lets take more room away and put a round cup holder in that hurts you when getting in and out of it.

cc most of the venues I go to!  I feel like they're trying to cram more seats in as possible (understand) but ontop of small seats to begin with, lets take more room away and put a round cup holder in that hurts you when getting in and out of it.

So many parking lots do the same thing!!  No, it's not enough that a car can barely fit into the parking lines.  You need to be able to OPEN the doors also, smh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We have a huge as hill behind our house. It’s designed to keep noise levels from a box store at a minimum. The box store is responsible for mowing it. 

They have mowed it twice all year. The first time to repeated phone calls and the grass was over my knee. The second time they drove commercial equipment through my neighbor’s yard. The haven’t mowed in 3 weeks and the grass is over my knees again.  Kids don’t like nerf gun battles back there now because the loose all of their darts. I’m worried about ticks and other animals. 

I called the box store again today and got the “we’ve put in a call. Sorry for the inconvenience. “
    I’m past the minor annoyance state so sent a message to my friend who is also a township trustee. I simply asked if there were rules and what they might be. She just forwarded me a notice of violation that they are issuing to the box store. 

It wssnt exactly the escalation I wanted but if it means we can use our yard and not waste time calling them then happy day!
  • Lots going on in my life.

Update on my car.  I actually got a call yesterday around 3:30 that my car was ready and explanation on everything.  Cutting it close to the end of their day!  So I quickly sent an e-mail to the powers that be at my work that I'd be leaving at 4:15 to pick it up.  Seems to be running fine.

Long story short, they replaced two parts.  They only charged me for the parts themselves because they said they can get my extended warranty company to cover the labor (my coverage technically doesn't start for about 2-3 more weeks).

But, OMG, just the parts were $1,000.  That's a big chunk of change to unexpectedly be flying out the window.  Oh well.  That's why I save for a rainy day.  They didn't even tell me what the labor was.  Just that it was "a lot".

------------------------------------

I just got a verbal lashing from the Doc Control manager.  She's the coworker who sets me on edge, even on a good day.  Yes, it was a mistake I made, but it was one typo on a drawing number.  Our drawing numbers are 19 characters long, ffs. Plus the revision number.  On this particular task I'm currently on, I've processed dozens of transmittals which encompasses like 200 drawings.  All of which were entered and sent out perfectly (the drawings).  There were a couple other more minor things she was annoyed about, as well.  I'm trying to shake it off, because I have a lot more to do by tomorrow.

-------------------------------------

I talked to my mom last night and, in a nutshell, she narrowed down the timeframe she really wants us to come out for a visit on.  Basically sometime in the first two weeks of August (which should be fine, on my end).  Old family friends are going to be in Germany for a month.  And they told her my H and I could stay in their guest room, while they're gone.  They didn't want any money, but my mom insisted.  She's giving them about half of what a hotel would be.  They live walking distance to her and my stepdad's home, so it would be super convenient.   In light of this, it's actually great that I've procrastinated and haven't booked the flights yet, lol.  But now I need to stop procrastinating and do that!

She can be so cute and funny and "mom", lol.  I told her that was sweet of them to open up their home to me.  And that I will give them a host/ess gift and a card and with a personalized little letter to them.  She immediately jumps in that she was thinking the same thing but, it's okay, she'll buy the card and the gift and we'll just pretend it is from me.  I smiled and laughed and told her it was fine, it was nbd for me to get them.  It's like she logically knows that I'm an adult in my 40s and am not living on a shoestring.  But, emotionally, I think I'll always be her little girl with pigtails that she tries to make life smoother for. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm alive!

Last week was legit insane, and this week I'm making a ton of mistakes.  To say this new career change is humbling, a challenge and a real opportunity for professional and personal growth is an understatement. But all of last week's clients are happy, I had two days off this week and next week we're back to crazy.  Not as bad schedule-wise as the previous week, but we do have another all-day event, this time for a very high end, luxury car brand and the client is very specific.  I'm actually happy my mistake booted me from the lead on the job because this lady would have eaten me alive!  I'm not strong enough to take this event on my own yet!

Hubs sprained his elbow in a bad fall while running today.  Poor guy - he also has a huge fundraiser tonight, so it happened with bad timing too.  But on the flip side, he's been endorsed by the state's three largest unions so that's huge!

Also, yesterday was our one year anniversary with the pups - or as we called it.  The Posdaversary (Because Posda is a perfectly natural nickname for Roosevelt).
    Glad you made it through the crazy week. Was the super-big-important client happy? How long has it been since you switched jobs? I feel like you're still in the learning phase and mistakes are expected. 

Happy adoption week to Rosie! 

How's the campaigning going? Hoping his elbow is better soon. 

You CAN get a house ready to sell this fast.  It just might be a lot of work and running around, depending on how much it needs.  Speak to a real estate agent about the market you are in.  If it's a hot one for sellers, it might only be 2 months max. to sell.  And I mean being at the closing table within 2 months.  If it's so-so, you all might have to sell for a bit less than comps to speed up the process.

Edited to add:  You probably don't want to mess with getting a tenant, unless you plan on keeping the house for at least a year.  Though, if AirBnB is an option for the area, that is short-term by nature.  However, you'll have to account for property management fees for either one of those scenarios.  Roughly 10% of the gross income.

If you all are thinking about either one of these routes, feel free to PM me.  I have a program I use to analyze rental property numbers and a subscription to a service (unlimited searches) that will pinpoint market rent for any particular address.  I'd be happy to help you all out with the number crunching to see how up or down you all would be on monthly cash flow for a rental.    

Thank you! Yeah, I think finding a tenant (and someone to work as my property manager) would be more trouble than it's worth. 

The job is for me, but I actually found a perfect job for H too. Stars are aligning! 

So many parking lots do the same thing!!  No, it's not enough that a car can barely fit into the parking lines.  You need to be able to OPEN the doors also, smh.
    yaaaas, and I'm 6'0.  I need door swing room to get out!