Wedding Woes

Any experience with skin procedures?

So I've been looking into having something done with my facial skin, which is starting to look duller and older lately.  I've been to 2 consults, but I have no background into any of this.  

One wants to do a CO2 laser treatment, along with some minor botox around the eyes.  Repeat botox about every 3-4 months.  The other wants to do a Fractal laser treatment, with a little filler around the eyes.  It'd be a yearly top up, if I'm a 'super maintainer'.  

I can't find a lot of non-clinic/company info.  Has anyone had anything like this before?  Part of me feels weird for looking into it, as I feel it's part of aging, but the other part of me figures a lot of people get it done, so why not look better if I can?  

Re: Any experience with skin procedures?

• I've had Botox. My doctor did too much, though, IMO and I had no movement in my forehead. I'd definitely do it again.
  • I do Botox every 3 months for my migraines. The cosmetic side with no forehead wrinkles is just a nice side effect. 

My skin is more on the combination to oily side, which helps in terms of aging, but i'm also really into skincare products, and feel like that helps too.

Do you have a skincare routine that you like/have you tried any products? I'd maybe go that route before the procedure route. I love Peter Thomas Roth products - the masks are fantastic, and he has a really nice anti-aging line. There's stuff you could do at home or a spa that might work really well - a mini peel, products with retinol, hylauranic acid, glycolic acid. 

No judgement - I think it's a question of doing what makes you feel good. If you're happy with the results and can afford it, go for it. :-) 

• *Barbie* said:

I do Botox every 3 months for my migraines. The cosmetic side with no forehead wrinkles is just a nice side effect. 

My skin is more on the combination to oily side, which helps in terms of aging, but i'm also really into skincare products, and feel like that helps too.

Do you have a skincare routine that you like/have you tried any products? I'd maybe go that route before the procedure route. I love Peter Thomas Roth products - the masks are fantastic, and he has a really nice anti-aging line. There's stuff you could do at home or a spa that might work really well - a mini peel, products with retinol, hylauranic acid, glycolic acid. 

No judgement - I think it's a question of doing what makes you feel good. If you're happy with the results and can afford it, go for it. :-) 

I currently wash and moisturize morning and night, and use my clarisonic twice a week.  Other than that, I'm not huge into products and new stuff and such

And while I can afford it, I'm cheap, so the idea of spending money on a non-necessary expense each year is a little intimidating  

• Following this thread. I have been wanting to go to one of the many medi-spas but I am intimidated by all of the options. 
  • I have facials several times a year. I also use a good regime (use my clarisonic daily, moisturize eyes, face and neck, and use a retinol serum). Of course, I am considerably older than you. The retinol serum is recent addition but I've been doing the other stuff since my late 20s. I also have been blessed with good genetics. I think it might be a good idea to try products first to see what the results are. If you aren't happy with them, pursue the procedural route! I am having some dark spots lasered next week - a little nervous about that!

• edited May 2017
    I've never had work done, but I have been working on a skin care routine for the last year or so. I use all Clinique stuff because I have sensitive skin. Here's the stuff I like:

https://www.clinique.com/product/1674/37233/skin-care/de-aging/repairwear-laser-focus-smooths-restores-corrects
    http://www.clinique.com/product/1683/37235/skin-care/eye-lip-care/repairwear-laser-focus-wrinkle-correcting-eye-cream
    http://www.clinique.com/product/1676/32628/skin-care/de-aging/repair-247/repairwear-sculpting-night-cream
    http://www.cerave.com/our-products-moisturizers-moisturizing-lotion

I'm with @*Barbie*, I would try a routine before heading straight to work, but you'll decide what's right for you.

ETA: **mostly** Clinique stuff - I added Cerave, my all-over, all-purpose body lotion because it's my go-to product.
    *********************************************************************************

• also, i love your hedgehog. <3

for some recs - you can get samples from Sephora if you don't want to put out the cash for full size, or you can buy a kit and return within 30 days if you don't feel like it's working/you're not happy with it. (I love their return policy). 

Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha/Beta Peel (5 treatments/$16):
    http://www.sephora.com/alpha-beta-universal-daily-peel-P377533?skuId=1450964&om_mmc=ppc-GG_378477159_27752557839_pla-56128534817_1450964_95787538359_9027651_c&country_switch=us&lang=en&gclid=CjwKEAjw3pTJBRChgZ3e7s_YhAkSJAASG9VrDFgoVgYyJIw_YmzwFd8Uj5D2yPAYn2cUvRI9VB5UqxoCaWnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

this is really easy to use. it's 2 wipes. wipe the first one on your face/neck, wait a few minutes, wipe the 2nd one on, done. It's supposed to be gentle enough to use daily, but I would max out at 1-2x/week. I got this as a sample once and loved it so much that I bought the mega box with like 100 packets during one of their sales. I even convinced DK to try one with me, and he seemed to like it - between this and the gel mask i put on him afterwards, it really did make his skin look great. 

PTR Maskaholic: 5x 1.7 oz masks + applicator for $75:
    http://www.sephora.com/mask-a-holic-6-piece-kit-P411591?skuId=1863091&icid2=products%20grid:p411591
    This is a great way to try out the different types of masks. The pumpkin is a gread exfoliator, the mud helps to clear pores, the cucumber is soothing, the gold tightens and moisturizes, and the algae is a moisturizer. I have all of these in full sizes, but DK has bought me a variation of this kit before. You get quite a bit in each container (probably 5 or so applications, each). Fantastic for travel, too. I usually use the pumpkin followed by the algae. Skin looks awesome afterwards. 

PTR Water Drench cloud cream ($52, 1.6oz)
    http://www.sephora.com/water-drench-hyaluronic-cloud-cream-P415701?skuId=1898550&icid2=products%20grid:p415701
    super intensive moisturizer. very light on your skin, absorbs well, no greasy residue. There's a coordinating serum as well - I use the lotion at night and the serum under my makeup. 

PTR Unwrinkle Turbo Kit $88
    http://www.sephora.com/un-wrinkle-turbo-kit-P407330?skuId=1815844&icid2=products%20grid:p407330
    4 piece kit - peel pads, toner, serum, night cream.
    once again easy to use, face feels clean and fresh. peel pads - wipe on, wait for a few minutes, rinse fae, put on toner, serum, then night cream. The night cream is a little heavier - i used it more as a spot treatment rather than all over. 

PTR Rose Stem Cell line - i really like the mask and cleanser. i keep the mask in the fridge (the cucumber and algae ones work well in the fridge too) - gives a really nice cooling sensation, skin feels moisturized and fresh/bright. 
    http://www.sephora.com/rose-stem-cell-bio-repair-gel-mask-P386377?skuId=1614304&icid2=products%20grid:p386377

http://www.sephora.com/rose-stem-cell-bio-repair-cleansing-gel-P386378?skuId=1614312&icid2=products%20grid:p386378

TonyMoly Sheet masks:
     https://www.amazon.com/TONYMOLY-Real-Mask-Sheet-Pack/dp/B00SAT6GVK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495660254&sr=8-1&keywords=TONYMOLY
    Korean skincare line - their products are nice and come in fun packaging. this is a great deal (especially with Amazon Prime) because it's less than $1/mask. I bought a double pack of these and have probably used at least 2/3 of the different masks. I love their little panda eye sticks, too:
     https://www.amazon.com/TONYMOLY-Pandas-Dream-Brightening-Stick/dp/B00UB9Z27G/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495660583&sr=8-3&keywords=TONYMOLY one is for cooling/brightening (undereye bags/tired eyes) the other is a really excellent concealer/base - especially for lighter skin tones. (it's white but it blends very well.)
  • Thanks for the recommendations.  I'm not thinking about doing anything till the summer (time off my my skim to get red and peely), so it might be worth looking into over the next couple of months.  

Thanks @*Barbie*  His name was Wintson.  We had to put him down a few summers ago now due to cancer.  He was pretty awesome though

• I've had Botox in cheeks. My doctor did too much, though, IMO and I had no movement in my forehead. I'd definitely do it again.

I got it done too.
    Back when I got the botox treatment done my doctor was genuinely nice and he walked me through the entire procedure and assisted me with my queries every step of the way.
    I have been getting botox injections regularly from them ever since.
  • knottie numbers this thread is over a year old. Please start a new thread for threads over 3 months inactive. I know you are new here so probably don't know what the accepted rules are.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    But it DOES beg the question - did @WinstonsGirl ever get a procedure and would she recommend it?   :#:# 

• NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2018
    Have you tried microneedling? You can do it at home and it works wonders. It destroys the old cells and allows the serums to get past the first layer of skin because it creates tiny pinpricks and it also kickstarts collagen production. 

I microneedle and I use 100% jojoba oil to remove my make up then I rub turmeric and honey together to make a mask and I leave that on my face for about a half an hour. After I rinse that off I use a moisturizer (I get most of my skincare from Marshall's or TJ Maxx) then I add a Vitamin C Serum. 
  • I'm rather glad the post came up again. I've been debating treatments too. My problem is twofold- I'm lazy and cheap. When I looked up beauty articles about caring for 30-something skin, it was multi-step, multi-product madness. Ain't nobody got time for that. 
    I'll check into the Clear and Brilliant :) 

• So lets agree this zombie thread is OK to wake up? :)

ironically enough I just bough a groupon for a PRP facial (vampire facial).  I'm not happy with my botox results.  I am interested in the C&B laser though....

• edited June 2018
    So lets agree this zombie thread is OK to wake up? :)

ironically enough I just bough a groupon for a PRP facial (vampire facial).  I'm not happy with my botox results.  I am interested in the C&B laser though....
    Is that the one where they take your own blood from somewhere else and inject it in your face? The woman who does my waxes gets that done. She's ten years older than me and looks younger, so it must work!

ETA - I'm with you, @thisismynickname2. It's hard enough to wash my face every night. If I didn't have horrible skin and (MOTHERFUCKING STILL) acne, I probably wouldn't even bother with that.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Is that the one where they take your own blood from somewhere else and inject it in your face? The woman who does my waxes gets that done. She's ten years older than me and looks younger, so it must work!
    That's the one! Super good to know!

ETA - I'm with you, @thisismynickname2. It's hard enough to wash my face every night. If I didn't have horrible skin and (MOTHERFUCKING STILL) acne, I probably wouldn't even bother with that.
    100% me. I use a make up remover wet wipe thingy, moisturizer and eye cream as my nightly regime.  I wash my face in the shower the next morning, while water is running anyway - but I can't see myself ever doing a 5 step routine twice daily!

• Ro041Ro041 member
    I have gotten more into skincare in my 30s but I have never had a cosmetic procedure on my face.  The closest I got was a facial that left my face red and upset for a few days.  I don't know if I noticed my skin was brighter.  How does skin look brighter and how do I know if I see it??  Halp.

This leads me to another question - has anyone done Cool Sculpting or anything like that?  Like Winston last year, I can't really find any info other than what the companies want you to see (LOOK AT THESE RESULTS!!!)

• Ro041 said:
    I have gotten more into skincare in my 30s but I have never had a cosmetic procedure on my face.  The closest I got was a facial that left my face red and upset for a few days.  I don't know if I noticed my skin was brighter.  How does skin look brighter and how do I know if I see it??  Halp.

This leads me to another question - has anyone done Cool Sculpting or anything like that?  Like Winston last year, I can't really find any info other than what the companies want you to see (LOOK AT THESE RESULTS!!!)
    An old Knottie and friend of mine has a consultation for Cool Sculpting next week! I will let you know if she goes through with it and how it is!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited June 2018
    Ro041 said:

I had two cool sculpting procedures done before the wedding.  I DID notice a difference.  I did not, however, take before and afters...they did though! It was worth it for me IMO.  I did it on my chins.  Went from 2 to 1.5 :)

edit for: I don't know if I told you guys or not, but I ended up going to a random place and the person who worked on me was my boss' wife! I knew she was a "nurse" for cosmetic procedures but Chicagoland is BIG and i had no idea I was going to hers!

• Ro041Ro041 member
    @ShesSoCold - let me know!  @CharmedPam - did it last or did the .5 return?  Ha.

• Ro041 said:
    @ShesSoCold - let me know!  @CharmedPam - did it last or did the .5 return?  Ha.
    I don't think it did....but then i started dieting in February anyway for my weight loss surgery.  I went to my consult 2 months before my wedding and the doctor said i should have went 3 months before the day you want to see results because it can take that long to see them after 2 procedures.  I was still fine with what was done on me though.  I'm very glad I did it!

• Speaking of places that have "wow, the difference" commercials, I looked into Sono Bello.  Warning: no, no, no, no, NO!!!!

I thought the "worst" I'd find is reviews where people didn't see much difference.  Or didn't think it was worth the high cost, etc..

Y'all, I read HORROR stories!!!  People who were not given enough anesthesia and the procedure was excruciatingly painful.  One woman talked about she'd had the surgery many months ago and still woke up with nightmares about it.  People who were on bed rest for weeks afterward because of the pain.  Still having pain after months.  They advertise it's outpatient, you walk right out the same day, and are a little sore for a couple days.

With more research, just on liposuction in general, it's actually not supposed to be for weight loss anyway.  It can sculpt and remove small pockets of fat, but that is about it.  You sure wouldn't guess that from all the hype!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041 said:
    I don't think it did....but then i started dieting in February anyway for my weight loss surgery.  I went to my consult 2 months before my wedding and the doctor said i should have went 3 months before the day you want to see results because it can take that long to see them after 2 procedures.  I was still fine with what was done on me though.  I'm very glad I did it!
    That's really interesting you tried it. I know DH has looked into Cool Sculpting. He really hates his love handles.