Wedding Woes

FRIDAY!

Just biding my time until the end of the day and then FREEDOM.  My boss is out today and on vacation next week too.  Talk about less than zero desire to work. :) 

I ran out to get a pedicure last night and gas up the car so I didn't have to go anywhere today.  FIL came over for dinner with his dog.  Now that she's 2, she's calmed down and become the sweetest thing.  She's a herder though, so she couldn't stand that DefConn was inside while we were outside.  

My poor mama is having a lot of ups and downs right now, which is not unexpected.  She did get released to go back to work in a week and a half.  I am hoping that getting her 1st treatment next week will help her with her anxiety about the process and also, getting back to work will help her feel more settled.  Not being active or having something to do is starting to get to her.  :/ 

What's up for your weekend? 

Re: FRIDAY!

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    I am going out to dinner tonight with a friend and on Sunday morning I am volunteering at the Houston Food Bank. I also will probably be writing for a consumer advocacy site. And I'm sure I'll still be job hunting. Oh, and I'll definitely be having tech problems with this forum. :/ 

Beyond that, I don't know.
  • H & I are meeting up with some friends in NYC for pride. I'm out of work @ 12:30 today! We are taking the train and I am so terrified I'm going to get lost. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    @mrsconn23, sorry she's going through that.  Hopefully work can put her attention elsewhere.  I think you need an early out...

This morning I found out that my H's friend used MY bar of soap when he showered.  Thank god he moved it otherwise I wouldn't have known.  It's H's now.  That's his buddy.  But who does that?  And yes, we DO have liquid soap for guests! axe and caress. 

edit: words

• Jen4948 said:
    I am going out to dinner tonight with a friend and on Sunday morning I am volunteering at the Houston Food Bank. I also will probably be writing for a consumer advocacy site. And I'm sure I'll still be job hunting. Oh, and I'll definitely be having tech problems with this forum. :/ 

I'm looking too. Slim choices for traditional Marketing as a lot of the job boards bucket account managers and sales in with Marketing. It's been extremely frustrating. 
  • Does your mom have any stationary hobbies, like crafting or scrapbooking? I can imagine how hard it must be for her to take it easy.  

Well, I passed the midterm, only by the skin of my teeth. She added back some points, as she should have. We were all so angry about it. I asked her last week specifically what resources to use. She told us to use another source and not to use our book. Then right before the exam on Wednesday she told us we should have used the book, another thousand dollar app we don’t have access too (because our school won’t write us the letter to get the student discount and we don’t have a grand for an app), and an obscure website she never told us about. So thank goodness she added back ten points. 

Today is homework and gym. Later we are going to see Jurassic World with FSIL and FBIL and I’m excited. We’re going up to the cabin this weekend and it will be nice to get away for a night. 

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2018
    levioosa said:
    Does your mom have any stationary hobbies, like crafting or scrapbooking? I can imagine how hard it must be for her to take it easy.  
    She's been sewing a lot.  I brought a skirt for her to hem for me over the weekend.  ETA:  BIL has been away for his 2 week national guard requirement, so she kept my nephew a few days and they went out and did stuff.  And she took the kids to the children's museum last week.  So she's trying to keep busy. 

She had her port placement yesterday and the overeager intern said some stuff that freaked her out because it wasn't what was discussed with her other doctor and he was all, "well it's in your chart!".  She conferred with my dad and he said he didn't remember the discussion either.  I advised her to just tell her doctor and maybe it can be a teaching moment for the intern.  
  • oh, and also: 

• Happy Friday!! I’m waiting to get my hair cut and colored. I still need to find some more blouses. It’s amazing how damn hard it is to find just plain, quality blouses. At least I found a bunch of pants, skirts, and blazers. 

Also people who have personal, but unimportant, conversations in waiting areas are the worst. I want to stare annoyingly at this guy who is chatting (loudly) in the salon waiting area about someone’s birthday party this weekend. I don’t care. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    Jen4948 said:

I'm looking too. Slim choices for traditional Marketing as a lot of the job boards bucket account managers and sales in with Marketing. It's been extremely frustrating. 
    They do the same with accounting jobs. Tax, audit, oil and gas, forensic, cost accounting, and nonprofits all jumbled together. Entry-level clerks and medical billers are together with corporate controllers. Then, each link on Indeed or LinkedIn or whatever leads back to the business' own recruitment page, where you essentially have to retype your resume from scratch.
  • @Levioosa, congrats on passing the mid-term!  Even if it was frustrating the professor led you all astray.  Crazy.

Strange question for probably those of you in the medical field.  Would it be fairly easy for me to get two TB vaccine shots if I wanted them?  The findings of a 7-year study came out yesterday that people with Type I diabetes had their blood sugar levels permanently brought down to near normal, 3 years after taking two TB vaccine shots.  So now they are going to do a second study to verify their findings.  Which is all well and good, but will probably take many more years.  Since TB vaccinations have been around forever, I'd rather just take two shots now and hope for the best.  Especially since it takes about 3 years to see improvement.

In my research, it sounded like TB vaccines are pretty unusual in the U.S. because we are a low-risk country.  I kind of got the impression they are hard to get, unless you're someone in really specific circumstances.  I have an appointment with my endo in mid-August anyway and will obviously discuss it with him.  But am just trying to get a feel if he can make that happen, if he's on board.  Or, if he's not on board, hopefully I could find another doctor who would.

Y'all, I would seriously travel to another country to get these shots if I have to.  But obviously I'm hoping that would only be a worst case scenario.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Happy Friday!! I’m waiting to get my hair cut and colored. I still need to find some more blouses. It’s amazing how damn hard it is to find just plain, quality blouses. At least I found a bunch of pants, skirts, and blazers. 

Also people who have personal, but unimportant, conversations in waiting areas are the worst. I want to stare annoyingly at this guy who is chatting (loudly) in the salon waiting area about someone’s birthday party this weekend. I don’t care. 
    yeah, unless your stories have drama in them - leave that shit at home.

• Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

They do the same with accounting jobs. Tax, audit, oil and gas, forensic, cost accounting, and nonprofits all jumbled together. Entry-level clerks and medical billets are together with corporate controllers. Then, each link on Indeed or LinkedIn or whatever leads back to the business' own recruitment page, where you essentially have to retype your resume from scratch.

Same for me (raises hand)!  Most of my career has been project support/admin. asst., etc.  But my experience and education put me on the higher level end of that.

Yet, if there isn't much in the job description, it's often hard to tell if it is a more basic skills $20K/year job or a lots of experience/lots of skills over $60K/year job.

Last time I was unemployed, I found the best use of my time was to first apply to jobs that actually listed a salary range acceptable to me...but most job listings don't have a salary range (argh!).  And then apply to jobs with full job descriptions and/or a long list of qualifications that I met.  Because those were going to have a more likely chance of being higher paying. 

And don't even get me started with ridiculous companies and their long list of requirements, including a college degree, but pay the same or less than what I was making when I first got out of college 20 years ago, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

@mrsconn23- I was thinking about your mom just this morning.

My kids get back within the hour.  It's been glorious to be apart, but I'm ready for theme to come home. Yesterday I went shopping at the outlets and spent too much.  I did get a dress for my brother's award (in October).  I was shocked at just how much I needed to size down in clothes. 

Dh and I went for burgers and cocktails last night.  It was sooooooo good.  They had massive onion rings and everything.  The only bad part is all of this rain meant we couldn't sit on the patio.

So MUCH RAIN. 

DH took today off.  We bought 6let a new mattress and because it's Costco I got underwear and rice and DH picked up a shirt.  I helped a friend and worked.  He went to the fireworks store (we don't get anything that shoots in the air), cabela's, and Dick's tent sale.

Tomorrow morning M2 has gymnastics.  The boys are going to a professional lacrosse game tomorrow night.  I'm not sure what M2 and I will do.  Maybe she'll want to go to?

Sunday we're either going to the art museum or hiking. 

• @short+sassy I think you’ll have a hard time getting the vaccine. One study isn’t usually enough to change practice or recommendations unless it’s a large scale collection of data and replication of several other smaller studies over years of research. And this study only used nine patients. From what I can tell, it doesn’t seem like the study is respected in the diabetic community and I don’t really blame them. Those are some big promises to make off an absurdly small sample size. Physicians also don’t typically give care off of single studies. Current treatment is evidence based and has research to support it. That doesn’t mean it isn’t flawed with a lot room for improvement, but decades of research beats a single study with a total of 9 participants receiving a drug. Now that the idea is out there, hopefully more researchers can replicate it. She’s currently working on a larger second study, but in order to be acknowledged and respected it needs to be replicated by others too. It sounds like Europe might also be looking at that possibility, but I haven’t been able to look at any of their research yet. 

How did your hair come out? I got mine cut the other day, but I kept it simple. Cut it back to chin length with a few layers. Empty salon. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    We are truly soccer crazy house. My husband just bought goalie gloves. Our 9 yo kicks too hard when they play the penalty shot game. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Happy Friday!! I’m waiting to get my hair cut and colored. I still need to find some more blouses. It’s amazing how damn hard it is to find just plain, quality blouses. At least I found a bunch of pants, skirts, and blazers. 

How did your hair come out? I got mine cut the other day, but I kept it simple. Cut it back to chin length with a few layers. Empty salon. 
    It was good! Just kept the cut simple and added some layers. I mainly needed the color to cover the gray!
  • GBCKGBCK member
    s&s, I thought they didn't like the TB vac in part because you'll always test positive for TB too?
  • levioosa said:
    @short+sassy I think you’ll have a hard time getting the vaccine. One study isn’t usually enough to change practice or recommendations unless it’s a large scale collection of data and replication of several other smaller studies over years of research. And this study only used nine patients. From what I can tell, it doesn’t seem like the study is respected in the diabetic community and I don’t really blame them. Those are some big promises to make off an absurdly small sample size. Physicians also don’t typically give care off of single studies. Current treatment is evidence based and has research to support it. That doesn’t mean it isn’t flawed with a lot room for improvement, but decades of research beats a single study with a total of 9 participants receiving a drug. Now that the idea is out there, hopefully more researchers can replicate it. She’s currently working on a larger second study, but in order to be acknowledged and respected it needs to be replicated by others too. It sounds like Europe might also be looking at that possibility, but I haven’t been able to look at any of their research yet. 

Thanks for more info.  The articles I'd read hadn't mentioned the study size was so small (sigh).  It sounded so great, safe, and simple.  I'll keep my fingers crossed much larger studies produce the same results.  It's just so frustrating because, if it works, it will probably be at least a decade before it is available to the masses.  I'll keep watching the research.

@GBCK, that was the only drawback I read about the TB vaccine (there could be others) is that, once someone has it, they can test positive for TB.  Not necessarily that they would, but then there would be a question if it was the vaccine or the disease itself producing a positive result.

However, that would be of no concern to me.  I learned so much about TB in looking up info about the vaccine, lol.  I'm not in any risk of contracting TB and don't see where I ever would be.  It's not a condition that will usually occur from a chance encounter with an infected person.  People need to be living in areas with TB and/or working with a TB infected population for at least 3 months to be at much risk.

More crazy facts.  The vaccine is most effective for people under the age of 16.  It's somewhat effective for people from 17-35. Though, the older someone is in that range the less effective it becomes.  And, after the age of 35, they typically won't even bother giving someone the vaccine because it won't work anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker