Wedding Woes

Happy Friday, ladies!!

edited June 2018 in Wedding Woes
Any fun weekend plans?

I'm going to the lake with my sister tonight. Should be a fun, drunken weekend!

Edited to fix - I'm jealous of you, mrs.conn and hope you're having fun! 
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Happy Friday, ladies!!

• I think she's on vacation, @shessocold, I bet she's doing wonderfully. LOL. Not sure if it was 2 weeks or 1.
    that's awesome @NBSquared2017!  More reason to celebrate. 

Tonight is Jurassic World.  Tomorrow is cleaning and then I'm having some friends over for bbq and games. I'm going to suggest we stay INside though.....and then who knows what Sunday will bring me?

• I think she's on vacation, @shessocold, I bet she's doing wonderfully. LOL. Not sure if it was 2 weeks or 1.
    that's awesome @NBSquared2017!  More reason to celebrate. 

Tonight is Jurassic World.  Tomorrow is cleaning and then I'm having some friends over for bbq and games. I'm going to suggest we stay INside though.....and then who knows what Sunday will bring me?
    Oh GOOD! I forgot about that and I was worried about her mom!!! Thank you!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • You all have so many fun, exciting things planned for the weekend!

My H and I will be (hopefully) finding a few good contenders for a used pickup truck or van for our real estate stuff...and to be a second vehicle for me until I get the MINI drama sorted out.

But, even if we find the perfect second vehicle, I doubt we would be able to conclude anything until next week because I will insist on having anything we buy checked out by a mechanic first.

Wow, do people put some serious mileage on pickup trucks!!! Phew!  I've seen ads for some that are 5 years old or less and already have over 200K miles.  Which make it hard for me because I want it cheap.  But not too old and not too many miles.  However, "cheap" is the opposite of newer and lower mileage, lol.  Especially when the average pickup truck owner apparently puts 30K-40K miles/year on their vehicle.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

My H and I will be (hopefully) finding a few good contenders for a used pickup truck or van for our real estate stuff...and to be a second vehicle for me until I get the MINI drama sorted out.

But, even if we find the perfect second vehicle, I doubt we would be able to conclude anything until next week because I will insist on having anything we buy checked out by a mechanic first.

Wow, do people put some serious mileage on pickup trucks!!! Phew!  I've seen ads for some that are 5 years old or less and already have over 200K miles.  Which make it hard for me because I want it cheap.  But not too old and not too many miles.  However, "cheap" is the opposite of newer and lower mileage, lol.  Especially when the average pickup truck owner apparently puts 30K-40K miles/year on their vehicle.

We had a similar problem a few years ago. H was driving this like 82 Dodge truck that he bought from my dad for $300. Not a deal, it was literally worth $300. Here I was, thinking that 4X4 trucks would be similar to cars in the mileage, resale, etc. and I was hoping we could get something reliable and cheap-ish to hold us over for a few years. We were finding 10 year old trucks with 150,000 miles for like $10,000! No freaking way! 

Good luck, on both vehicles! 
  • Today should be relatively easy day for me at work.  So I'm here early! LOL!

We aren't doing much this weekend, which is nice since I feel like we have been on the go non-stop.  We will have cake for my nephew's birthday on Sunday.  I also need to get out to the used children's clothing store.  DD needs tops.  I have a good selection of pants and shorts for her already.  My friend's hand me downs were full of long sleeve shirts and pants, so that doesn't help me too much right now!  But at least I only need to buy some items and not a full wardrobe!

H has a few more things he wants to do around the house as well.  We are still trying to pick up some slack from vacation.  I really need to do a major cleanup around the house.  There is just stuff everywhere!  I have a few things I want to try and sell too.  I also need to organize baby clothes and pull out a bunch to give back to my friend who just had her third girl.

Today is the start of our first heat wave of the summer.  So having lots of indoor things to do will be good!

We had a similar problem a few years ago. H was driving this like 82 Dodge truck that he bought from my dad for $300. Not a deal, it was literally worth $300. Here I was, thinking that 4X4 trucks would be similar to cars in the mileage, resale, etc. and I was hoping we could get something reliable and cheap-ish to hold us over for a few years. We were finding 10 year old trucks with 150,000 miles for like $10,000! No freaking way! 

Good luck, on both vehicles! 

@ShesSoCold
     One of our friends went to look at a Ram and the price points were insane. 

60,000 for a Hemi and fully loaded is still soooo high. 

I can't believe what some people pay for vehicles - especially since they depreciate so quickly. 

•  One of our friends went to look at a Ram and the price points were insane. 

I can't believe what some people pay for vehicles - especially since they depreciate so quickly. 

That's not even a bad price for a Hemi and fully loaded! I'm pretty sure similar model Ford and Chevys are even higher. 

After buying a new truck (a regular cab "work truck" trim level truck), I always notice the giant loaded trucks I see and wonder what they do for a living or if they're just regular people making a mortgage payment for a vehicle. 
  •  One of our friends went to look at a Ram and the price points were insane. 

That's not even a bad price for a Hemi and fully loaded! I'm pretty sure similar model Ford and Chevys are even higher. 

After buying a new truck (a regular cab "work truck" trim level truck), I always notice the giant loaded trucks I see and wonder what they do for a living or if they're just regular people making a mortgage payment for a vehicle. 
    Oh my...I clearly know nothing about trucks  :D

I clutched my pearls when I heard that price! @shessocold
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Last day of Bible school aka last day of freedom:)  The website I need for my ONE project today is being stupid. 

Once Max is home we're hitting the sale at Dick's (13 pairs of cleats and none for 2 of them!) then Costco then picking up the others to go to the pool! 

Tonight we're grilling out and roasting marshmallows

Tomorrow M2 has gymnastics. 6let and I are going shopping for vacation stuff.  Then it's a Crew game and fireworks!

Sunday DH's company is having an outing at a baseball game.  I hate baseball. I hate company outings.  It's going to be hot and lord help my kids if they act up.

• I’m at a class for work all day today. Then I have to go return a million swim suits at Nordstrom’s and hit the gym. For some reason I am just exhausted today. We had some kind of animal break open the container we keep cat food in outside last night. The craziest thing we’ve seen is an opossum in the back yard so we’re not really sure what did it. We’re in a city/suburban area so while coyotes and opossums are common, and I know there’s mountain lions in the hills, there’s not too much else that would have been able to get into it. Maybe a raccoon? But I’ve never seen one here. FI said it was kind of eerie the way it was broken. Maybe the outdoor cats are becoming self-aware and are banding together. 

We have a ton to do for our BBQ on the 4th. I am not looking forward to braving Costco this weekend. It’s going to be insane. I can’t believe June is already over. 

Congrats to your H @NBSquared2017

Have fun at the lake @ShesSoCold

• One of our friends went to look at a Ram and the price points were insane. 

Oh, I hear you!!!  Especially since I'm not a "truck" kind of gal anyway, if I'm spending over $60K for a vehicle, it better be because it goes from 0-60 MPH in 4.6 seconds, lol.

I'm also running into issues where my ideal pickup truck is a smaller, single cab, normal length truck bed.  But most of the trucks out there are these giant monsters that, quite frankly, I'd be petrified of driving.  A second row of seats (double cab) would be completely useless for us, but that's also what most trucks are.

I mean, come on, after driving a 2-door MINI Cooper for the last 4 years, I find normal-sized passenger vehicles "big", lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I’m at a class for work all day today. Then I have to go return a million swim suits at Nordstrom’s and hit the gym. For some reason I am just exhausted today. We had some kind of animal break open the container we keep cat food in outside last night. The craziest thing we’ve seen is an opossum in the back yard so we’re not really sure what did it. We’re in a city/suburban area so while coyotes and opossums are common, and I know there’s mountain lions in the hills, there’s not too much else that would have been able to get into it. Maybe a raccoon? But I’ve never seen one here. FI said it was kind of eerie the way it was broken. Maybe the outdoor cats are becoming self-aware and are banding together. 

We have a ton to do for our BBQ on the 4th. I am not looking forward to braving Costco this weekend. It’s going to be insane. I can’t believe June is already over. 

Congrats to your H @NBSquared2017

Have fun at the lake @ShesSoCold

I heard a joke, in reference to how intelligent and crafty raccoons are, that was something like, "Why have wasted trillions of dollars on NASA and space travel?  We should have just told raccoons that there are a bunch of full garbage cans with easy-open lids on the moon and then just followed them."

There was a hilarious milk commercial from the UK a few years ago that was "what if cats suddenly had thumbs?"  And all the cats with their new thumbs...it looked like an extra pad on their paw, but had the movement/dexterity of a thumb...got into so much more trouble!  Including a gang of them opening the door to a guy's house as he was at his kitchen table eating cereal.  With the jug of milk sitting RIGHT on the table next to him ;).  He looked surprised and petrified.  The commercial ends with the gang of cats still in the doorway, but all of them are eying the milk. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    Had a crazy week so I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend.

Today is my mom's 70th birthday. Her apartment overlooks the Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park in Houston, so every year, she and my dad like to throw a July 4 party and listen to the July 4 concert and watch the fireworks from their balcony and celebrate her birthday as part of the fun. 

I wasn't originally sure I would go this year because of some problems between me and my parents, but I may.

• Totally like Consumer Reports as well for car buying advice.  In addition to their car reviews they also have a podcast talking about what they do and don't like about certain models and it's fairly informative.    Ex: one of the Land Rovers that came out about 2 years ago was issued with summer tires.   WHY would they do that knowing that if you're buying a car in New England you're going to need winter tires?   It was a quality piece of information.

Anyway, I'm buried in work but hopeful that the weekend can be relaxing and enough people will be out of the office to make next week a 4 day in plant holiday (even if I WFH).   Tonight we hope to go to MIL and FILs with dinner and bubbly to toast to the new digs. 
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2018
    banana468 said:
    Totally like Consumer Reports as well for car buying advice.  In addition to their car reviews they also have a podcast talking about what they do and don't like about certain models and it's fairly informative.    Ex: one of the Land Rovers that came out about 2 years ago was issued with summer tires.   WHY would they do that knowing that if you're buying a car in New England you're going to need winter tires?   It was a quality piece of information.

Anyway, I'm buried in work but hopeful that the weekend can be relaxing and enough people will be out of the office to make next week a 4 day in plant holiday (even if I WFH).   Tonight we hope to go to MIL and FILs with dinner and bubbly to toast to the new digs. 
    I briefly researched Land Rovers and the came back to reality when I saw the base price  :D

For 70,000 that thing better be making my dinner and doing laundry every night.

Consumer Reports is great for mattresses too! 
  • banana468 said:
    Totally like Consumer Reports as well for car buying advice.  In addition to their car reviews they also have a podcast talking about what they do and don't like about certain models and it's fairly informative.    Ex: one of the Land Rovers that came out about 2 years ago was issued with summer tires.   WHY would they do that knowing that if you're buying a car in New England you're going to need winter tires?   It was a quality piece of information.

I briefly researched Land Rovers and the came back to reality when I saw the base price  :D

We have started to swear by them for major purchases.  Even sunscreen I'll review by them so I know  what to pick up.   When you have kids slathering them in sunscreen is just part of days that don't rain.

If you have a membership with them (and I highly recommend it) you can also download their app so you can do things in store without running to a magazine.   We purchased their washer and dryer based on their recommendations and our minivan purchase was among their recommended ones (Honda Odyssey).

Yeah, Land Rovers are not for the faint of heart.  We have one but it's about 8 inches tall and has no motor and yeah it's a kid's car. 

• in other news, it's 11:15 am right now, and I think I should send out a work email in case I need proof I was at work today.....

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @charmedPam that is one of the first things I do, especially when working from home early in the morning. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    I don't even think I have a "thank you!" email response right now....lol

eta for:  oh wait! I signed for a company delivery from fedex today. Proof I was at work. 

• I’m on lunch. Crazy crazy week I feel like I don’t know what day it is. I had a great one on one meeting with my manager today; he said his goal is to work toward promoting me to a senior Analyst in 6 months. Awesome. I still don’t know how my printer works so yeah that seems reasonable. 

No no real plans for the weekend besides catching up on sleep. And staying out of the insane heat that is headed our way. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

We have started to swear by them for major purchases.  Even sunscreen I'll review by them so I know  what to pick up.   When you have kids slathering them in sunscreen is just part of days that don't rain.

If you have a membership with them (and I highly recommend it) you can also download their app so you can do things in store without running to a magazine.   We purchased their washer and dryer based on their recommendations and our minivan purchase was among their recommended ones (Honda Odyssey).

Yeah, Land Rovers are not for the faint of heart.  We have one but it's about 8 inches tall and has no motor and yeah it's a kid's car. 

I just signed up for the digital version! 

Thank you!! 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Thank you!! 
    You're welcome!   It's well worth the money it saves.  
  • Current status: 

Patio+beer (not pictured because I’m drinking it). 

Happy Friday!

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hi all! I've had a great week being with the grandsons and DD. DD is doing much better. She is exhausted from being up with the babies but isn't every new mom? We went to the grocery for the first time today! That was quite the excursion. She's a bit overwhelmed with the effort it takes to go anywhere. Those boys are so stickin' cute though! I just love kissing their little heads and smelling that sweet baby smell. 

I head back to Indy tomorrow so H and I can go to Ohio to help DS1 and DIL move into their new town from SC. It is a busy summer in the Beachmusic household. I'm sad to leave DD and the babies but will be back in a week or so. Next week her MIL is coming over most days to help out. She lives close by. Hopefully she will do something other than hold babies!

Have a great weekend!
    I must have missed the announcement!  Congratulations, Grandma!  I hope all went well and that your DD continues to recuperate well!  I have no doubt you will wear a path between your home and hers!

I have been in LA meeting DS’s first little girl. They have no family out there, so we all took advantage of it.  We got the baby and they got a little sleep and free time.  It will be few and far between for them.   Our little LA lady <3. It seems insane, but I was almost “chilly” most days with those low 70 temperatures and cool ocean breezes.  As we land tonight, I believe we are being greeted with a heat index of approximately 105 :-O

I look forward to grandma updates, @ILoveBeachMusic!  Congratulations again!
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Thank you!! 
    You're welcome!   It's well worth the money it saves.  
    Thanks for the recommendation.  I just checked it out and am definitely going to sign up for at least the digital version.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker