Wedding Woes

And so begins another week...

How was the weekend? (or week, I'm looking at you @mrsconn23).

Saturday am I took M2 to gymnastics then 6let and I hit the dollar stores to buy stuff for vacation.  Bummed around a bit during the day then went to the Crew game. It was fun as always and ended with fireworks.  Then on the drive home we got to watch other community fireworks.

Sunday was DH's company picnic at a Clippers game.  OH MY GOSH it was HOOOOOOOT!  That's really all I have to say about it.  I hate baseball.

Tomorrow we're supposed to go to MIL's to swim.  There's a chance of rain so her back up plan is to go to the Air Force Museum.  That's going to go over well- "Hey kids, instead of swimming and playing around, let's walk through a museum!"  Blergh.

Re: And so begins another week...

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    And shit, we're already driving 85 minutes.  The museum is another 40 from her house.  UGH!!!
  • Oh my god it’s so hot here. Seriously it’s almost 90 degrees already. It’s been like this all weekend. That gods sister has an awesome pool we just sat in all day yesterday. 

Today I have orientation so at least there will be air conditioning? Other than that just trying to get a feel for this job and get up to speed. 

Happy Canada day to our northern neighbors (a day late!)!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Weekend was good. July 4th party and fireworks show went well. Got lots of compliments from neighbors.

Sunday I am pretty sure I broke my toe and it hurts to walk. And today I ended up with a flat tire which is now turning into 4 new tires. Waiting to see what the 3rd bad thing will be
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kvruns said:
    Weekend was good. July 4th party and fireworks show went well. Got lots of compliments from neighbors.

Sunday I am pretty sure I broke my toe and it hurts to walk. And today I ended up with a flat tire which is now turning into 4 new tires. Waiting to see what the 3rd bad thing will be
    Even if you opt out of seeing a doctor for your toe,  I suggest you take care of it.  Buddy tape it to an adjoining toe.  Wear a shoe that will keep your walking surface as flat and firm as possible.  Although I typically never wear them, I wore gym shoes to work for 6 weeks as per doctor advice.  It will make a difference!
  • @NBSquared2017, congrats on the new car!  That sounds amazing.

We've narrowed it down to three used pick-ups we're interested in.  The top choice is at a used car dealership but...get this...car dealerships can't be open on Sundays in Louisiana, smh.  You can buy all the liquor you want on Sundays...but not cars.  Okey-doke then.  I'm hoping they'll be open late enough today to go take a look but, it looks like the kind of small place that will close at 5:00.  And, of course, they don't have their hours listed anywhere, so I need to call them later to find out.

On the bright side, we have another (potentially and hopefully) good reason to get a pickup truck.  I saw a post come through on Nextdoor (of all places!) on Saturday for another real estate investor in our area who is looking for a p/t handyman/property manager.  It estimates it is no more than 20 hours/month, but pays $500/month.  Not a ton of money, but not many hours either.  And it's really within my H's wheelhouse.  All their rental properties are in our neighborhood, so it would be pretty convenient.  My H sent his resume and cover letter over.  The person got in touch with him a short while later and they have an interview set up today at 11:00.  Crossing fingers!

As for the weekend, I was having a really bad day on Saturday.  Nothing really happened.  I was just feeling down, glum, and stressed out.

But Sunday was much better!  We actually had a really fun day.  I had two different coupons about to expire.  One was for a free $10 in concessions at a new, very close by movie theatre.  We'd been wanting to check it out and free popcorn and sodas was a great reason, lol.  As it turns out, they also had all kinds of specialty cocktails for only $8/each.  I thought that was a great price for a movie theatre.  I ended up getting a Blueberry Gin Fizz (something like that).  We saw Jurassic World.  Considering it was a many-sequeled movie, we didn't have high hopes.  But we still liked it.  It was better than I thought it would be, considering.

After the movie, for the next coupon, we went to a nearby pizza place.  The coupon was for a free large pizza, up to 5 toppings!  They're pizzas were enormous and delicious!  It was a fantastic deal.  We went with a neighbor and, at the end of our visit, she got a calzone to-go for her roommate.  That was enormous also and less than $10.  We will definitely be back.  Since we treated her to pizza, she bought the beers!  And a good time was had by all, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2018
    Congrats on your new car, NB! 

S&S, we, in IL, can't buy cars on Sundays either. Good luck to your H today!

I had a great weekend at my sister's lake. Saturday we took someone boat down the river to a sand bar with like 10 other boats. While I think it's kind of funny that everyone from the same trailer park takes their boats down river to hang out with each other, that we all could very easily have done from their own decks or the beach at the trailer park, it was a blast. You can see on my friend where I must have missed when I sprayed him with sunscreen and he burned, oops. 

Even though we're not doing anything for the 4th, it will be really nice to have Wednesday off this week. 

Edited because I said "in IL" like 14 times and it was unnecessary. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • S+S Sunday sounds like a wonderful day! FX for your H and the new role!

I went to a new yoga place today and really enjoyed it. DH (who is yoga adverse) agreed to go to a partner/ prenatal class on Friday so I hope it isn’t too hippy dippy or it will take me another 3-5 years to talk him into going again.
    I picked up some baby clothes secondhand and had a long chat with the mum because she delivered at the same hospital I have been going to. LSS, I think I am going to look into a different hospital. 
    I just realized that our trip is in 9 days. I need to book a car and dig some stuff out of camping supplies.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @mobkaz thanks that is what I am doing. I had it taped yesterday although it hurts more while taped. Today I am wearing my running shoes to work - looks awful with my clothes but I wanted to protect it since I kept bumping it in flip flops yesterday. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    Car lots are also closed here in IN on Sundays. It used to be good to go look and see prices without being hassled by salespeople although then it seemed like they stopped having prices in the window which was annoying. 
  • HA!  Finally here.  This morning has been an adventure...more on that later. 

Vacation was AMAZING!!  Hilton Head is beautiful AND so much more lush than either DH or I were expecting.  They've done a lot to protect their trees and environment.   We also day tripped to Savannah and that was wonderful as well.   The resort we stayed at was perfect and having the bikes was the best decision.  The older kids were able to bike around and go to the pool without us adults.  Biking to the beach and a major shopping area was super easy. 

I learned, after 14.5 years of being with DH, to play euchre.  That is his game and I've been a disappointment to him.  I forgot how much I love drinking and playing cards. 

It took every bit of 14 hours to get back and forth from here.  Traffic definitely sucked in some spots.  We got stuck on I-75 north near Lexington due to an accident...which is the 3rd or 4th time in a row we've gotten stuck in a similar area due to heavy traffic or accidents.  That road is cursed for us.  ;) 

We got home around 9pm on Saturday.  We ran around yesterday and stopped by my parents to see them and bring my mom her bloody mary mix she loves (it's made by a local bartender on HHI).  Mom started chemo last week.  She said she felt pretty good.  Some tiredness to fight through, but no nausea.  She also talked to her doctor and feels better about the course of treatment.  She went back to work today on light duty, which will certainly help. 

This morning...OMG.  I woke up around 4:45am and had the worst bloody nose I've had in years.  It was a horror show.  I was really worried it was not going to stop.  Then as DH was getting ready this morning, our fire alarm went off.  We smelled an electrical burning smell, so I finished making DefConn's breakfast, yelled at the kiddo to wake up (THIS IS NOT A DRILL!) while DH called the fire dept.  We all went outside.  Turns out it's a ballast in our laundry room fixture.  DH called, but can't get anyone out until Thursday.  I called an electrician we know personally (even though he's on his way OOT) and he said DH can do it and he can talk him through it.  

Vacation is certainly over.  :/:) 
  • My cousin visited my parents. It was nice to see her but my mother used the occasion after she left to give me a hard time again about my unemployment.

I have decided not to attend her July 4 party.
  • So sorry she's still harping on you, @Jen4948, it's not what you need right now!
    Congrats on the car @nbsquared2017.  Sounds awesome!
    Keeping my FX for the hubs @short+sassy
    Glad your vacation was so good, @mrsconn23, sorry today isn't going to a great start. 

We saw Jurassic World this weekend too.  I liked it too, but liked the one before it better.  We saw it 3d imax which was great.  Saturday we ran a bunch of errands and then had friends over, and then on Sunday I laid around and did nothing.  We saw Uncle Drew last night and it was a cute movie.

• I'm sorry @Jen4948 it sounds like your family can be toxic at times.

Another day another dollar!   Currently working with an account that wants some of our production rushed to meet their needs only they can't quantify their needs!   I can't schedule you to get "some stuff".   Give it to me in numbers!!

• Clinic today.  This weekend was good. We mainly stayed home and I picked up the house a bit in preparation for deep cleaning tomorrow. We did run a lot of errands on Saturday. We bought a propane grill I’m excited about because I hate the hassle of charcoal ones. 

It’s supposed to be above 110 this weekend and I’m already angry about it. It will be 90 for our 4th of July BBQ but that’s better than last year’s 105.

congrats on the car @NBSquared2017!

I hope your day gets better @mrsconn23

Feel better @kvruns

Good luck to your H @short+sassy

• Can I freeze fresh parsley, does anyone know?  I bought a bunch of it thinking i was going to get around to making some kafta "burgers" this week, but we didn't go to the farmers market and we won't be going now until the 21st! 

• Can I freeze fresh parsley, does anyone know?  I bought a bunch of it thinking i was going to get around to making some kafta "burgers" this week, but we didn't go to the farmers market and we won't be going now until the 21st! 
    I don't think it freezes well on its own, but you can chop it, and put it in ice cube trays with olive oil. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @mrsconn23
    Glad your vacation went well! 
    Kind of a funny story; DH and I are not beach people. But we went on a trip to Savannah last year and figured we should take a quick trip to Hilton Head to see the ocean, considering we're Midwesterners and all.  So first, we co-opted some umbrellas and chairs technically for rent because the lifeguard was nowhere to be found. They only rent by the day, we found out, which- no, so we probably had a good 20 minutes of freebie, shaded relaxing.  We went for a 5 minute walk down the beach before DH got bored. Then we looked around for a boardwalk or something because while we're not beach people, we sure like day drinkin'... only to find out there's no boardwalk. We had no idea Hilton Head was so residential. Luckily one of the few hotels had a beachside tiki bar so we did that for an hour or so. 
    The area sure looked gorgeous though! Just wish someone had told us that there wasn't anything else to do in the area besides swimming and golf, haha. 

• Jen - Sorry your mom has to ruin nice events for you.  Good for you to skip the 4th at their house.  When you mom started in on being unemployed, I hope you just got up and walked out!  Bean dip that woman!

S+S - Car dealers aren't open on Sundays in NJ either.  I think its always been a way to browse without being hounded by salesman!

MrsConn - Yay vacation fun!  Boo coming back to real life!

Weekend was nice.  H suggested the Amish mart on Saturday morning, so how could I say no!  LOL!  We had bacon, egg & cheese pretzel logs for breakfast!  Donuts for Sunday morning breakfast and a brisket for H's birthday dinner.  We also ran a few other errands.

It is grossly hot here too.  I know its not breaking until after the 4th.  We kept inside doing inside chores.  We did get a lot done, but still more to do!  H was all happy, he got the dehumidifier hooked up to our sump pump, so he not longer has to empty it!  I got baby clothes organized somewhat.  Still have the 12m size to do, but got the 6 & 9 months done.  I pulled out a bunch to send up to my friend for her baby.

Sunday was more work around the house.  We also went to my brother's house for cake for my nephew.  My sister got him the game "Don't Step In It", which gives you a mat and a spinner.  Also some play-doh to make dog poop piles!  LOL!  You spread them around the mat, spin the wheel and take how ever many steps it says, blindfolded.  You try to avoid the poo!  My sister, SIL and I played a few rounds with the kids!  It was actually pretty fun!

Our new grill was delivered today!  And it is ginormous!  OMG!  We really should have checked sizes out in person before purchasing off Amazon!  Oh well!  Guess we should be having a BBQ soon!  Tomorrow, the guy will come over to put the grill together.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Damn near lost 2 lbs of sweat just mowing the grass. I know the pool is going to be crowded, but I don’t care. We’re going anyway. 
  • Our new grill was delivered today!  And it is ginormous!  OMG!  We really should have checked sizes out in person before purchasing off Amazon!  Oh well!  Guess we should be having a BBQ soon!  Tomorrow, the guy will come over to put the grill together.

I'm in the market for a new grill.  We fired ours up on Saturday and it took DOUBLE the time to cook (still cooked, everything was still delicious) and I need one that will stay on the deck (covered) during winter and not rust.  Let me know once you try it if you like and then let me know which one it is :) 

• @mrsconn23
    Glad your vacation went well! 
    Kind of a funny story; DH and I are not beach people. But we went on a trip to Savannah last year and figured we should take a quick trip to Hilton Head to see the ocean, considering we're Midwesterners and all.  So first, we co-opted some umbrellas and chairs technically for rent because the lifeguard was nowhere to be found. They only rent by the day, we found out, which- no, so we probably had a good 20 minutes of freebie, shaded relaxing.  We went for a 5 minute walk down the beach before DH got bored. Then we looked around for a boardwalk or something because while we're not beach people, we sure like day drinkin'... only to find out there's no boardwalk. We had no idea Hilton Head was so residential. Luckily one of the few hotels had a beachside tiki bar so we did that for an hour or so. 
    The area sure looked gorgeous though! Just wish someone had told us that there wasn't anything else to do in the area besides swimming and golf, haha. 
    Yeah, there's not much going on besides those two things.  But that was what I wanted, to relax on the beach or at the resort and just let go of worrying about the BS of daily life.  

There is Coligny, which is a public beach and is close to shops, restaurants/bars, etc.  But yeah, I noticed many of the resorts were like the one we stayed in, a small cul-de-sac of townhomes or separated houses and each had a small pool for the people staying in that little resort.  And then among that were houses of residents (or ones that were for renting out).  
  • I'm so surprised at all the PPs who have chimed in that car dealerships are closed on Sundays in their state also.  I'd always thought this was just the bible-thumping, conservative state of Louisiana butting into religious freedom because "people shouldn't be buying/selling cars on the Lord's Day".

So I looked it up to see if something else is going on with that.

Nope.  Nothing else going on.  I was correct the first time.  It's an antiquated "blue" law that Louisiana shares with 17 other states (as of 2015).

I still don't understand it.  Other than alcohol (in some places), I don't know of any other product where stores selling them need to be closed on Sundays so "employees have a day of rest to worship God".  I wonder why car dealers (the owners) have gotten the short end of that stick.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We survived our first camping trip and float.  

I almost didn't survive the camping.  There's a specific river out here that has a reputation as a "party" river.  Meaning lots of drinking, lots of trash, etc.  The businesses around it have been trying to clean up their reputation.  But the campgroud was like one big frat party.  Someone had a megaphone, that if I had found them, I would've crammed down their throat.  I finally ended up sleeping in the car because it was somewhat wigging me out.  I've only ever done primitive camping, with maybe 8 spots around me, so it wasn't comfortable.  Plus it was DAMN hot.  But the float went great.  K had a ball for their first float and as long as that happened, I had no cares.  But now I really want to take them to a good river float.  Not a big sunburn and a good time, so I call it a win.
  • I'm so surprised at all the PPs who have chimed in that car dealerships are closed on Sundays in their state also.  I'd always thought this was just the bible-thumping, conservative state of Louisiana butting into religious freedom because "people shouldn't be buying/selling cars on the Lord's Day".

So I looked it up to see if something else is going on with that.

Nope.  Nothing else going on.  I was correct the first time.  It's an antiquated "blue" law that Louisiana shares with 17 other states (as of 2015).

I still don't understand it.  Other than alcohol (in some places), I don't know of any other product where stores selling them need to be closed on Sundays so "employees have a day of rest to worship God".  I wonder why car dealers (the owners) have gotten the short end of that stick.

I wonder if it's blue law combined with the bizarre aspect of dealerships in general.

If you look at the sales model of dealerships vs anything else, it's bizarre and it's why companies like Tesla are shaking up the auto industry with such backlash from auto dealers.  

• I still don't understand it.  Other than alcohol (in some places), I don't know of any other product where stores selling them need to be closed on Sundays so "employees have a day of rest to worship God".  I wonder why car dealers (the owners) have gotten the short end of that stick.

Chick-Fil-A.

Seriously, I remember a ton of stuff being closed on Sundays when I was younger. Like, make sure you fill up your gas tank on Saturday if you're going for a Sunday drive. I thought it was stupid then, so I totally think it's stupid now. I don't understand how these laws pass church/state muster.  

• I still don't understand it.  Other than alcohol (in some places), I don't know of any other product where stores selling them need to be closed on Sundays so "employees have a day of rest to worship God".  I wonder why car dealers (the owners) have gotten the short end of that stick.

Chick-Fil-A.

Seriously, I remember a ton of stuff being closed on Sundays when I was younger. Like, make sure you fill up your gas tank on Saturday if you're going for a Sunday drive. I thought it was stupid then, so I totally think it's stupid now. I don't understand how these laws pass church/state muster.  
    Chick-fil-A and hobby lobby.

And usually I get the urge to craft and eat chicken on Sunday's....why is that?

Chick-Fil-A.

I think she meant closed by law. 

Yeah I'm surprised too that the law hasn't changed over the years since it's so antiquated. 

Makes car shopping a PITA for people like us because H works Saturdays.
  • I am also shocked at how many states have rules about selling cars on the weekend. When are people supposed to shop? I definitely take it for granted that I can pretty much do anything I want, when I want here. I mean, half the time I’m ordering food to be delivered at 11:30 pm.