Wedding Woes

Block them?

Dear Prudence,
I was fired from my job six months ago, along with four of my co-workers. It was very ugly and more than one person is suing for wrongful termination. But within the past few weeks, I have started receiving messages from my old company—emails, texts, phone calls—all from different people, all at high levels. They’ve all been surface-level communications asking how I’m doing, if I’d like to get together for coffee, what am I up to, etc. I have a hard time believing the messages are genuine, and tend to think they either want to rehire me or are looking for inside information on the upcoming lawsuits. I’m not interested in giving them any information and have no desire ever to speak to anyone there again. I just want to move on with my life and forget I worked there. I also want these messages to stop. So far, I have just ignored them. Should I continue to do so? Or should I say something to let them know I’m not interested in hearing from them? I plan to testify on behalf of my former co-workers when their cases go to trial. While I want the texts to stop, I also don’t want to say anything that will harm my credibility when I testify against the company.
—Still Sniffing Around

Re: Block them?

• banana468 said:
    Frankly I'd consider talking to an employment lawyer.   Even if I didn't intend to sue I would find that communication highly suspicious and if I knew that lawsuits were pending I would want to stay as clear as possible from them.

At minimum I would say, "I am well but do not have an interest in any further correspondence."

I'd also document the shit out of it. 
    Excellent advice. I suspect employment lawyers see this all the time. 
  • Multiple higher levels who (presumably) have never been friendly before are suddenly asking LW for drinks? LW needs to get in on this case because obviously they are either scared and trying to smooth things over, or they want info to help their case. Either way it suggests that they know they were in the wrong and will probably lose. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm also wondering why LW isn't in on the suit but the others are. Like PPs said I am guessing the Higher ups either thing this person is also suing or at least can do serious damage to the company's side of things
  • kvruns said:
    I'm also wondering why LW isn't in on the suit but the others are. Like PPs said I am guessing the Higher ups either thing this person is also suing or at least can do serious damage to the company's side of things

My mom was fired after working at her hospital for almost 20 years.  She was the 4th nurse fired who was older.  My mom did nothing wrong and was actually fired while she was out on short term disability for a bad allergic reaction to a medication.  It was looking very obvious that they were slowly firing all of the older aged nurses.  My mom was urged by many people, to go see an employment lawyer.  She even mentioned one of the other nurses was already in talks with one and was going to file a lawsuit.  She had no interest.  She just wanted to get well and find a new job, which she did when she was ready.  She was unemployed 2 months - tops.  She retired from the 2nd hospital, with two new knees from their very top rated orthopedic surgeon too!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2018
    That’s a good point. I guess I was thinking if this person is willing to testify and seems to be somewhat helpful for those filing suit your exerting some effort and time toward the cause and might as well join if you can