Wedding Woes

Tuesday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited July 2018 in Wedding Woes
I mean, I got nothing - but we still need a post for Tuesday. 

edit: wait, I do got something.  yay Thailand rescue mission! It's not very often you hear a happy ending to the news these days.

Re: Tuesday

• SSDD for me. I’m just counting down until San Diego this weekend. 

• I'm writing this post STANDING!

LOVE the new standing desk so far.

What I do not love, is all of the other people. Only a handful of us got standing desks to try them out before he orders like 30. So I'm getting all kinds of snark with why I got one and they didn't. I sat for an hour or two this morning and got at least two "Oh? Sitting already?". STFU. 

H and I are going out to dinner with his grandparents tonight. I love his grandma and she loves me because I say all the shit no one else will. LOL 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @levioosa, yay San Deigo! We were there in May and ate at the Pushkin Russian Restaurant.  It was soo sooo good! I think it's in the Gaslamp district, but I can't remember.  We were only there one night :(

@shessocold, tell them to STFU is right! With my back, I'd be happy to stand 1/2 hour! Very cool concept though.  You reminded me of my posture as I write this, so I just straightened up. lol.

• Levioosa- SD must be the place to be! My nana and some family are there right now.
  • Levioosa- SD must be the place to be! My nana and some family are there right now.
    LOL I read this as South Dakota and thought, "uhhh....why?"

It appears my trying not to drink coffee anymore isn't working.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I know this is a wedding planning site and I'm snarky and I'm sorry.

But please tell me I'm not the only one annoyed by the Knottienumbers on CC asking us about every.single.tiny.fucking.detail about her wedding? And it's still a year away!!! 
  • Levioosa - I love SD - have a wonderful time!

SSDD here as well.  But I did find out last week that I've been asked to go to AZ for three weeks for work in the fall, so that's kind of exciting.  DH is supportive and I'm waiting to find out more details today.
  • edited July 2018
    TK ate the rest of my post. 

SSC- is it a desk that raises and lowers or is it fixed? 

My day was good. Cleaners came this morning, then I had lunch with a friend that just got back in town. Work was a breeze because I messed up, thinking we were leaving tonight and rearranged my classes to finish in time. So I am already home, it was so weird leaving during daylight.
  • Just got back to work.  we had a helluva weekend.

Friday, I had taken the day off to go to Memphis with K for an away roller derby game.  Friday morning my mother calls.  Bennett the beagle is really sick, need to go to the vet, fearing the worst.  Hold off on leaving until his appointment at 1:45, find out it's just a bad case of pancreatitis.  (Mom didn't recognize the symptoms like I would have, we've been through this 3 times before).  He has to stay the weekend for fluids and medicine.  Leave for Memphis late. 

K gets a strange FB message, checks an old e-mail and finds out they've been suspended for the first half of the game.  Massive upset and drama follows for the next few days with roller derby.  I'm trying to be supportive; that team has pissed me right the fuck off with their drama, rumor mills, innuendo, and lack of leadership.  

We get to Memphis late on Friday, so can't do anything we planned.  So we just hit up Hard Rock Cafe and listened to a great band.  Then spent most of Saturday at the pool.  Saturday night was the game.  I had to step out during warm ups.  Watching my partner, who usually owns that track, try and make themselves so small on that track was hurting me.  K didn't need to see me upset, so I left for a bit.  They won the game, K got MVP even only playing the 2nd half.  Went to the afterparty and managed to avoid too much interaction.  But we also had the best damn wings I've ever had in my life at this place, so that was worth it.

Woke up on Sunday with the absolute worst congestion/cough/fever I've had in a long time.  Like, will become bronchitis if I'm not careful.  Managed to at least make it through a bit of the National Civil Rights museum (it's HUGE, lots of text and interaction and we just couldn't handle it all), then the Metal Museum (which is amazing), then home. 

Work up on Monday and realized I wasn't making it to work.  Mom is able to pick up Bennett from the vet.  Woke up this morning to the news that Bennett had passed.  I'm okay; he was 16 years old and every day of his life he knew he was loved.  He was starting to suffer in his old age and I'm just glad that he was at home, with people who loved him when it happened.  Zelda, my other dog, also got to see him and I think that will be helpful in the days to come. They were so bonded, that she is really going to mourn.

So yeah...I really just want to go home again and not deal with work, but that's not really a possibility.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited July 2018
    oh, so sorry about Bennett, @varunaTT . Hugs to you and your family!

Other than that, it did sound like a good weekend!  Did you do Beale? Love Beale.
    edit: wait, Hard Rock is on Beale, right?  So of course you did!

• Another day, more feeling like I don’t know anything. But I’m learning so that’s good. I feel like I haven’t worked this hard at something since grad school. Which I know is a good thing, but damn it’s tough! 

Glad you like thr new desk! My standing desk has been ordered so I’m just waiting for it!
  • Can I bitch about Hs cousins wedding for a minute? It’s a DW in NC in late August. We got STDs a while ago, but just got the invite sometime last week. Ha sister group texts me, other SIL (Ha brothers wife), and MIL telling us to RSVP by cousin wants to make tables. C’mon the wedding isn’t until late August and why aren’t you texting your brother. He’s just as capable of doing this. 
  • @ShesSoCold, yay standing desk!  Eff those people.  Even spending some of the day standing is so much healthier.  I suspect they were probably just trying to make a little conversation.

@VarunaTT, Sounds like Memphis was a good trip overall, albeit with a few snags.  I'm so sorry to hear about Bennett!  But it sounds like he had a long, happy life.  That is extra comforting he made it back home first.  Surrounded by all the things, smells, and people that he knew and loved.

With any luck, I might become the new owner of a used pickup truck today or tomorrow.  We went to test drive one yesterday at a small used car dealership.  We liked what we've seen so far, though the truck does need a front end alignment, shocks, and new tires.  The alignment and shocks are hardly surprising for our area.  We have some of the worst, most potholed streets in the country.  My friend, who has always driven pickup trucks, warned me that you need to replace the shocks every few years on them.

My H and his friend are driving back out there today to take it to a mechanic for a check-up.  Assuming all goes well and there are no major surprises, then H will start negotiations on the price.  It's a 2011 Ford Ranger with 154K miles.  They are asking $4400, which is within private party KBB.  BUT we'll need to work on at least the items mentioned above, so I think we can still get some money knocked down. 

Other than that, it has been a really busy day at work!  Which is rare for me.  But I was already a little behind from only working two days last week and was surprised yesterday with an unexpected big chunk of work.  I have until the end of the week to do it.  And I could probably push some of it to early next week.  Still, I need to kick myself into "extra efficiency" gear.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    I know this is a wedding planning site and I'm snarky and I'm sorry.

But please tell me I'm not the only one annoyed by the Knottienumbers on CC asking us about every.single.tiny.fucking.detail about her wedding? And it's still a year away!!! 
    Although some admittedly went "overboard", this makes me miss FFF's. 

Although I never joined the "abandon ship" wave a few years ago, it looks as if the Pro Boards/Tree House has sunk.

The Thailand rescue mission is beyond miraculous, but I am convinced casting for the movie has already begun :/ 

We have begun placing standing desks in many of our classrooms!
  • I know this is a wedding planning site and I'm snarky and I'm sorry.

STIB 

You are not. 
  • Oh, no, Varuna I'm sorry. Hugs to you and your mom. 
  • I’m so sorry @VarunaTT

• TK ate the rest of my post. 

My day was good. Cleaners came this morning, then I had lunch with a friend that just got back in town. Work was a breeze because I messed up, thinking we were leaving tonight and rearranged my classes to finish in time. So I am already home, it was so weird leaving during daylight.
    It's adjustable. I have bad hips and standing too long will make them sore, so I'm trying to start out small and only stand for a couple hours a day. 

My coworker is looking forward to getting one because she'll get abs. Honey, it takes a hell of a lot more than standing for a while to get defined abs. 

It's adjustable. I have bad hips and standing too long will make them sore, so I'm trying to start out small and only stand for a couple hours a day. 

My coworker is looking forward to getting one because she'll get abs. Honey, it takes a hell of a lot more than standing for a while to get defined abs. 

And then there's me.

I want a desk attached to a fainting couch, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

And then there's me.

I want a desk attached to a fainting couch, lol.

Right?! I should have pushed to get one of these

Image result for bed desk
  • @ShesSoCold I have kind of a dumb question. Are you wearing normal dress shoes or sneakers? I feel like my feet would get so sore wearing dress shoes. Lol to your coworker about the abs. 

• levioosa said:
    @ShesSoCold I have kind of a dumb question. Are you wearing normal dress shoes or sneakers? I feel like my feet would get so sore wearing dress shoes. Lol to your coworker about the abs. 
    I wear sandals with good support, but the desk did come with one of those anti-fatigue mats so I'm standing on that too. If I wasn't wearing good shoes, I'd take them off and stand on the mat barefoot.
  • I also have a stand up desk that I adore.  I try to stand up at least 2 hours in the am and 2 hours in the pm, sometimes longer.  Any time I have trouble concentrating, I stand up.  

I wear decent shoes, but if the heels are too high, I just take them off and stand on the mat barefoot.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I know this is a wedding planning site and I'm snarky and I'm sorry.

STIB 

You are not. 
    Ditto. I hadn't been over to CC in forever until yesterday when I was thinking about the 90 day fiance thread that I thought used to be there and I was like who the heck is posting all this 
  • @VarunaTT and @ShesSoCold, I realize you all are talking about standing barefoot on a supportive mat.  So my idiot former coworker story is not directed at you all, lol.

But it did remind me of a former coworker I had that sometimes wore bath slippers to work.  Yes.  Bath slippers.  Because she had a "medical condition".  That sometimes caused her feet to swell.  So then her shoes didn't fit.

And this wasn't even an office job!!!  This was at a convenience store!!!  We were already allowed to wear sneakers, as long as they were all black.  We were on our feet, walking and standing, all day long.  Lifting boxes.  Helping customers, ie should be projecting a professional image.

The whole thing was completely ridiculous and outrageous.  Not to mention, for someone with "foot problems", the last thing she should have been doing was walking/standing for 10+ hours straight on "shoes" that have zero support.

I was the co-manager and tried on multiple occasions to talk some sense into this woman.  Including a suggestion to purchase a cheap pair of sneakers that were one size bigger.  But, for reasons I will never understand, the store manager didn't care and wouldn't back me up.  I was 2nd in charge, but he was the only one who could have written her up for being out of uniform.  Oh, and she was a manager also (overnight manager), so also setting a bad example for others.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m so sorry about your loss @varunaTT
  • @VarunaTT. I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad he was able to pass peacefully, but that doesn’t make the absence any less heartbreaking. I hope your mom is doing okay, all things considered.