Wedding Woes

Still not the weekend yet...

At least the weather is nice and I'm looking forward to the Evanescence concert tonight with my sisters. 

Other than that SSDD. 

Prudie is coming up.  ;) 

Re: Still not the weekend yet...

• My H calls me when he's super pissed because I calm him down. He just called. I could hear him shaking. I know you should never rage quit a job but if he does, I understand. His boss has been treating him like complete shit ever since H said he didn't want to buy the company from him. 

Maybe our move is moving up whether we like it or not!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    no, not a weekend yet. Close!  Have fun at your concert.

I had to laugh because one of my customers sent a screen shot of something from his desktop.  In his "favorites" on the top of his browser, I saw a tab for "cafeteria menu".  I too, have one.  Although mine is my first tab.  I know my priorities. 

Hope something juicy comes from Prudie today.

• I’m fighting with HR.

I reached out to the benefits administrator on 6/21 to see what documentation I needed to drop coverage because I am switching to H’s healthcare plan.

Her response on 6/26: “I will need a letter from his employer stating that you are covered under his benefits, which benefits (medical, dental, vision) and the effective date of coverage.”

I provided that information to them on letterhead on 6/28 and she emails me YESTERDAY that she needs copies of my insurance cards and I need to fill out all this paperwork to drop coverage.

The reason I reached out proactively is that I did not want to pay for coverage as my coverage started on 7/1. Now I’ll have to go through the process of trying to get reimbursed for the month because she did not give me all the information I needed in the first email.

Grrrrr

• @mrsconn23, have fun at the concert!

@ShesSoCold, I'm sorry your H is having such a hard time at work!  I hope with time his boss stops with that nonsense and just gets over it. 

@CharmedPam, I strategically keep all my work related tab favorites at the top of the list.  It's come in handy!  I have had two occasions, one with the big boss, where someone was looking over my shoulder while I had to bring one of those websites up.  I can grab the one I need quick, so nobody will see that 80% of my long list of favorites are personal.  Including TK, lol.

Truck update!  My H went back to the used car dealership yesterday, that has the 2011 Ford Ranger we are interested in.  He took it to a nearby mechanic, who gave it a fairly clean bill of health.  It needs a tune-up, a new transmission filter, and a front-end alignment.  It also needs new tires in the fairly near future.

The guy was originally asking $4400, which was top end KBB for private party.  My H talked him down to $3600.  Which is much better considering we'll need to shell out $600-$800 for the new tires and minor repairs anyway.  A deposit has been put down.  We'll be paying the rest tomorrow (my half-day) and picking it up.  One bonus is the truck bed already has one of those nice tops on it.  Even used, those run about $300-$400.

Now I'm just praying! this truck turns out to be a good, reliable one and doesn't give us much grief.  Especially for at least the first 6 months.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited July 2018
    @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    @short+sassy, sounds like a great deal!  I suck at talking the price down.  Good on H! 
    @NBSquared2017, I did NOT need a letter from H's company when I switched.  I know this, because it would be easier to pull the boss' teeth out than get a letter from his! All I needed was to provide my company proof of current insurance and voila.  Sorry your'e having such a hard time!

• @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    @short+sassy, sounds like a great deal!  I suck at talking the price down.  Good on H! 
    @NBSquared2017, I did NOT need a letter from H's company when I switched.  I know this, because it would be easier to pull the boss' teeth out than get a letter from his! All I needed was to provide my company proof of current insurance and voila.  Sorry your'e having such a hard time!
    I was thinking this too. I do employee benefits in IL and all I need to terminate someone is the reason why (and I prefer the app, but not necessary). I don't even need proof of anything. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    I was thinking this too. I do employee benefits in IL and all I need to terminate someone is the reason why (and I prefer the app, but not necessary). I don't even need proof of anything. 
    Thanks! I was able to print the temporary cards off the website, so I should be all set. I was told they can't prorate my checks...I'm fine with that. I was paying for a single so it's only 94.00 for the month. 

I'm just more annoyed because she made it seem like she needed a simple letterhead and now it seems she needs the blood of my first born child lol 
    Thanks! I was able to print the temporary cards off the website, so I should be all set. I was told they can't prorate my checks...I'm fine with that. I was paying for a single so it's only 94.00 for the month. 

I'm just more annoyed because she made it seem like she needed a simple letterhead and now it seems she needs the blood of my first born child lol 
    Right.  Exactly. And $94 is still $94!  That's like a good dinner with cocktails involved.  OR two good dinners without drinks.....  Either way....that's dinner! 

• That sucks for your H @ShesSoCold

@NBSquared2017 my job did the same thing to me when I switched insurances. Because they gave me the runaround I ended up paying almost $70 more a month for insurance. It’s so frustrating. 

I have a ton of things to do today and I’m not sure if I’ll get to them all. I’m trying a spray tan today and I’m a little nervous. We’re going to a pool party while we’re down in SD and I can’t be this pasty. I’m also not thrilled about being in a swimsuit around a bunch of skinny hot 20 something year olds, but it’s not my birthday weekend so I’m sucking it up and hoping the spray tan works some miracles. 

Can you call the insurance company directly if the HR director doesn't do it?  What a PITA.

I don't remember it being this hard to GET on DH's insurance and cancel mine.   It was just a PITA to STAY on it.   Personal vent;

-His employer hired an outside contractor to help curb insurance fraud.   Essentially you had to prove that you were still allowed to be covered as a spouse.   Do you know that it's a pain in the ass to prove that you DIDN'T divorce?   They wouldn't accept a marriage license from years ago and we had to ask what WOULD work to prove that the two people living in the same house with the same last name with a filed marriage license and no divorce record were actually married.  Otherwise I would lose my benefits.

-Then, by some fantastic stroke of genius, his company decided that if you have a spouse who is "eligible for coverage" then it would be an extra $1300 / year to insure that spouse.  It absolutely chapped my ass because I'm offered insurance benefits through my company.   However I could be employed as a contractor making tons more and not penalized.   OR, I could have elected to be a SAHM spouse and not be penalized.   And technically the ACA made everyone have access to benefits but because I have a job offering me benefits *we* are the ones who are penalized vs. making it some kind of an across the board statement.   It's a shitty policy.

Ultimately we decided that I'd get my own ins. through my company and keep DH's dental.   It still cheeses me off. 

Sorry!  Vent over! 

• I think I just had to e-mail HR a copy of our marriage certificate to add him to my insurance. 

I've told this story before.  But I remember having a 10+ minute argument with a medical insurance company because they were requiring proof of prior coverage to cover a pre-existing condition dr's visit (before ACA).  I kept explaining to her, over and over again, that my prior coverage was also their company.  Just with a different employer.

I finally gave up and told her, "Fine!  Then transfer me to whoever at this company provides those letters."  Her (all exasperated), "NO!!  It has to be from your PRIOR insurance.  Me, "YES, I UNDERSTAND THAT.  Like I've been telling you for 10 minutes, YOU ARE my prior insurance company.  Hopefully whomever I speak to can just walk down the hallway and hand that letter to you (sarcasm)."  Oh.  She finally looks me up by my social to see my full history with them, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company

Can you call the insurance company directly if the HR director doesn't do it?  What a PITA.

I don't remember it being this hard to GET on DH's insurance and cancel mine.   It was just a PITA to STAY on it.   Personal vent;

-His employer hired an outside contractor to help curb insurance fraud.   Essentially you had to prove that you were still allowed to be covered as a spouse.   Do you know that it's a pain in the ass to prove that you DIDN'T divorce?   They wouldn't accept a marriage license from years ago and we had to ask what WOULD work to prove that the two people living in the same house with the same last name with a filed marriage license and no divorce record were actually married.  Otherwise I would lose my benefits.

-Then, by some fantastic stroke of genius, his company decided that if you have a spouse who is "eligible for coverage" then it would be an extra $1300 / year to insure that spouse.  It absolutely chapped my ass because I'm offered insurance benefits through my company.   However I could be employed as a contractor making tons more and not penalized.   OR, I could have elected to be a SAHM spouse and not be penalized.   And technically the ACA made everyone have access to benefits but because I have a job offering me benefits *we* are the ones who are penalized vs. making it some kind of an across the board statement.   It's a shitty policy.

Ultimately we decided that I'd get my own ins. through my company and keep DH's dental.   It still cheeses me off. 

Sorry!  Vent over! 

One if the universities I worked for did this and I thought it was ridiculous; it’s penalizing people for making choices that are cheaper/have better coverage for their families.  

• Not much today; we had a long conversation about the house last night, we’re doing a rehab loan and the lender is taking FORVER to process documents. Apparently here has been some fuckery with our contact and H didn’t tell me because as he said “you’re too busy/stressed/tired to handle it”. Cue angry face. I’m not a child and yes I’m tired and stressed from a new job, but I did all of the loan paperwork and closing for our first house so I do have some experience with this. So I’m annoyed things are taking a long time and that H didn’t tell me about the problems. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I hate insurance.  That's all.

This has been swim lesson week so we've been at the pool every morning.  Yesterday we want back later in the day and a miracle happened....I took a nap.  All 3 kids were playing together so I sat down to read, closed my eyes, then bam, it was 10 minutes later.  Oh, and Max went off the diving board. Not while I was napping.

The kids are going to my MIL's for the weekend.  It could be interesting.  It's been a really long time since she's taken care of them at all and she's never kept all 3 overnight.  There could be a disaster, but I really hope for everyone's sake it goes well.

And a head tilt:
    I took M2 to gymnastics last night.  Dropped her and went for a run.  In mile 3 of a 4 mile run MIL called. She left a message that she wanted to check what the kids would eat and to call her back.  I finished the run, caught my breath and called her back.

In the middle of the conversation she asks how the run was.  I asked how she knew I was running.  In that less than 10 minute window she had called my husband, talked to him about the food stuff, but asked him to have me call her. 

What? It wasn't an emergency. How about let me call you back or when I do call back just say "I talked to my son and got all the info." 

Andplusalso- my kids are better eaters than she or her husband.  If they will eat it my kids will eat it.

• With my current medical insurer, I get about two annoying automated calls a year.  That ask if I have any other medical insurance.  Press "1" for yes and "2" for no, smh.  I just had one of them a couple days ago, so I'm freshly irritated by their unnecessary intrusion in my life.  Even if it is for only 3-5 minutes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

Sorry!  Vent over! 

One if the universities I worked for did this and I thought it was ridiculous; it’s penalizing people for making choices that are cheaper/have better coverage for their families.  

Not to mention, they now have different tiers of benefits for people that are allegedly doing the same thing.  DH's coworker in the same position with a SAHM wife is essentially getting more  from the company in actual dollars spent on the employee because his wife decides not to work vs. DH who has the same job but a wife with an employer with benefits.   Then there's the other coworker who's wife is self-employed making customized European tours and gets her husband's insurance through the company.   I'm not blaming those people.  However the company physically pays more for them than for DH even if their salaries are all the same.   They're not giving DH an extra check because I opted out.   So instead we are now spending MORE on insurance but it just costs me less OOP per year than the $1300 penalty.  
    edited July 2018
    6fsn said:

This has been swim lesson week so we've been at the pool every morning.  Yesterday we want back later in the day and a miracle happened....I took a nap.  All 3 kids were playing together so I sat down to read, closed my eyes, then bam, it was 10 minutes later.  Oh, and Max went off the diving board. Not while I was napping.

The kids are going to my MIL's for the weekend.  It could be interesting.  It's been a really long time since she's taken care of them at all and she's never kept all 3 overnight.  There could be a disaster, but I really hope for everyone's sake it goes well.

And a head tilt:
    I took M2 to gymnastics last night.  Dropped her and went for a run.  In mile 3 of a 4 mile run MIL called. She left a message that she wanted to check what the kids would eat and to call her back.  I finished the run, caught my breath and called her back.

In the middle of the conversation she asks how the run was.  I asked how she knew I was running.  In that less than 10 minute window she had called my husband, talked to him about the food stuff, but asked him to have me call her. 

What? It wasn't an emergency. How about let me call you back or when I do call back just say "I talked to my son and got all the info." 

Andplusalso- my kids are better eaters than she or her husband.  If they will eat it my kids will eat it.

ditto. Although I wouldn't have gotten the sleeve surgery had it not been for H's since my company didn't have it covered.

But all this insurance talk reminds me to call them up. Every single time I log on to the website I get an alert asking me if I want to go paperless.  Sure.  Cool.  I'll just go online if I want to look up my statements.  Let's save a tree.  And I STILL get the hard copies mailed to me and I still get the "go paperless" question every time I log on!

• 6fsn said:

And a head tilt:

ditto. Although I wouldn't have gotten the sleeve surgery had it not been for H's since my company didn't have it covered.

But all this insurance talk reminds me to call them up. Every single time I log on to the website I get an alert asking me if I want to go paperless.  Sure.  Cool.  I'll just go online if I want to look up my statements.  Let's save a tree.  And I STILL get the hard copies mailed to me and I still get the "go paperless" question every time I log on!
    I hate when companies don't listen. A huge pet peeve is when I unsub from an email list and I still receive notifications. 

My mom told me to create an email account specifically for retail and keep it off my phone.  

One of the best decisions I have ever made!
  • Hi all!  Its been a crazy few days at work, so I haven't had time to knot.  It also is my Friday today!  We are heading down the shore early tomorrow for a long weekend.  The other end of our island is having a BBQ & Blues festival.  It is full of yummy food and good music!  We hit it up every year.

I will have a few errands and chores to do tomorrow, but my H works until noon.  DD is still going to daycare so I can get everything done quickly, so we are hoping to leave as soon as he gets home with DD.  But in the morning I'm getting a pedicure and will need to spray bug spray around the house for the yard.  We think our quarterly contract ran out because we haven't seen/heard from the pest company in a while!  So we are self treating.

• edited July 2018
    6fsn said:

And a head tilt:

If it's BCBS, it's hopeless. We're "paperless" and we receive 2 bills a month for H. One with the monthly balance and one showing a balance of zero. No idea why.

At least their phone payments are working again. We used to have to sit on hold and talk to a person every month to pay our bill. I don't understand why I have to beg them to take my money.

ETF typo.
  • I got an interesting call this morning from Section 8 (housing assistance).  In regards to my least favorite, PITA tenant.  Who my H and I have been strongly considering giving a 30-day notice to vacate anyway, putting in new floors, and then selling it.  We're on a month-to-month lease.  Sorry it's a long story!  And this is even the briefer version, lol.

The a/c part of the HVAC conked out a couple years ago in her house.  The heat part still works.  Too expensive to fix for such an old, crappy unit.  Not worth it to replace.  The house is only worth about $60K-$65K and a new HVAC would probably run $6K.

Instead, I put in window units for all the bedrooms and the living room.  Which are SUPER common in this area, anyway.

Unfortunately, on an inspection earlier this year, the inspector pointed out that two of the bedrooms have no other egress, than the window.  So we took those units out and put in portable a/c's, instead.  They still vent through a window, but can be yanked out in seconds, in case of a fire.

Unfortunately again, these bad boys use more electrical power than the window units did.  Our tenant complained back in May that they have to keep flipping the breaker, when both of those units are running.  I sent out an electrician.  Nothing can be done, other than totally rewiring that side of the house.  Definitely not doing that either.

I am TOTALLY sympathetic with her plight.  But I'm not spending thousands on either of those items.  I very clearly told her that.  Twice.  Because apparently she didn't believe me the first time.

I also told her that I absolutely understand if this is not an acceptable situation for her and, if she wants to find a new place, just give me notice.  I'll be super flexible.  It doesn't even need to be a 30-day one.  She just needs to pay for whatever days she is still living there and I'll return the pro-rated rest of the rent.

She didn't want to do that.  She didn't want to move.  Sure.  I haven't heard anything else about it.

Until today.

Her case worker called me because I won't "fix the a/c" and this tenant has requested a "special inspection".  To clarify, she wasn't being rude or mean at all, she was just calling to discuss it with me.  I told her the history on this.  She seemed to understand exactly where I was coming from.  She didn't mention anything else about scheduling a "special inspection".  She said she would call the tenant back and basically relay what I have already told this woman.  That it's not being fixed and her option is to give notice and move.

JFC, what exactly did this tenant THINK was going to happen?  That I'd (maybe) fail the inspection and then replace the HVAC?  Hell no!  Failing an inspection = 30-day notice to vacate for you.  Period.  Not as retaliation, but I can no longer collect rent under a govt. program until whatever has failed is remedied.

I'm not sure she fully grasps the reality that, just because she's lived there for over 8 years...I've owned the house for 3 years, I inherited her...doesn't entitle her to stay there forever, while I waste thousands of dollars to make it "perfect" to her liking.  Especially when she gives zero f**ks about getting the rent to me anywhere near the due date. 

As an aside, I also wouldn't need to put a new HVAC in to sell the house either.  Or rent it to someone else, for that matter.  It would probably raise the value some, but I doubt that higher value would even come close to matching my cost.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh that's obnoxious, S&S. I'm sorry. You're a better person than I. I would have given her notice months, if not years ago. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I was supposed to have a year end pto dinner tonight. Dh was going to take the kids to foot skills for 6let and m2 and have a picnic. My dinner got cancelled. Max would rather be with but it it’s a 30 min drive and 2 hrs of skills (separate groups an hour each). 

I dont want to stay home and figure out dinner. I want to go out with friends. 
  • Ugh that's obnoxious, S&S. I'm sorry. You're a better person than I. I would have given her notice months, if not years ago. 

My only explanation is she can sometimes have an anger problem and just doesn't think things through.

Because, if she doesn't want to move, then DON'T call for a special inspection and make waves.  Craziness!

And if she changed her mind and does want to move, then she can just find another place and leave.  On my end, I've opened the door wide to make that as easy for her as possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

My only explanation is she can sometimes have an anger problem and just doesn't think things through.

Because, if she doesn't want to move, then DON'T call for a special inspection and make waves.  Craziness!

And if she changed her mind and does want to move, then she can just find another place and leave.  On my end, I've opened the door wide to make that as easy for her as possible.

Sounds like she's just smart enough to get in her own way! 
  • So someone just totaled FI’s truck. He’s okay but I’m sure stressed out. He parked it on the street and was walking away when another car hit it and destroyed it. No one was hurt and I’m glad they weren’t in the car at the time and were safely away. I’m also really glad they weren’t in his tiny tin can company car. 

• levioosa said:
    So someone just totaled FI’s truck. He’s okay but I’m sure stressed out. He parked it on the street and was walking away when another car hit it and destroyed it. No one was hurt and I’m glad they weren’t in the car at the time and were safely away. I’m also really glad they weren’t in his tiny tin can company car. 

STUCK

Oh my GOD I'm glad he's okay!! How freaky!! I'm so sorry!
  • If it's BCBS, it's hopeless. We're "paperless" and we receive 2 bills a month for H. One with the monthly balance and one showing a balance of zero. No idea why.

At least their phone payments are working again. We used to have to sit on hold and talk to a person every month to pay our bill. I don't understand why I have to beg them to take my money.

ETF typo.
    United.  I LOVE dupage medical group and northwestern because they both do "mychart".  Everything like questions to the doc, nurses, scheduling and bill paying is on there!  I don't have to talk to anyone and I work best when I don't have to talk to people!

But I did call them and *now* I'm paperless.