Wedding Woes

Friday the 13th!

What's up for the weekend?

I leave in an hour to take the kids to MIL's.  I hope they have a good weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.

DH and I have zero plans.  I'm thinking Farmer's Market, hike, day drinking...

Re: Friday the 13th!

• Today I work my PT job from 1-6. After that, we are going to the Wilmington Blue Rocks game. It's weird, I love minor league baseball more than MLB. There is just something about it and I can't put my finger on it. 

Tomorrow I am taking my first pole fitness class. I'm nervous, but I really want to work on my core and I think this is a fun way to target those muscles. 

Sunday - grilling out and pool day!   
  • I don't want to think about the fact that it is Friday the 13th.  Because we are picking up my new (used) truck today.  And I need all the good vibes I can get that this vehicle won't turn into a lemon, lol!

An OOS friend flew in last night.  She used to live here and was a former coworker.  She originally hailed from the same area of CA that I did!  We became fast friends.  She moved back to CA a few years ago.  I'm not sure what our plans are to meet up, but I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

On Sunday, my H and I have a mystery shop at one of our favorite restaurants.  It's one of those charming breakfast/lunch kind of places.  That has more variety of breakfast entrees than you could have ever imagined, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oooh people I know who take pole dancing love it!

Tonight is chiro and Hotel Transylvania 3. 
    Tomorrow we go to Baltimore for the weekend! yay.  I'm currently looking up a ghost tour at night and I think we'll do a seafood tour during the day.  Ok, I hate seafood.  HATE.  But for my H, I'll do it.  That's love ya'll.  That's love.  Because you basically pay for the food and he'll be having my share.

• I don't want to think about the fact that it is Friday the 13th.  Because we are picking up my new (used) truck today.  And I need all the good vibes I can get that this vehicle won't turn into a lemon, lol!

An OOS friend flew in last night.  She used to live here and was a former coworker.  She originally hailed from the same area of CA that I did!  We became fast friends.  She moved back to CA a few years ago.  I'm not sure what our plans are to meet up, but I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

On Sunday, my H and I have a mystery shop at one of our favorite restaurants.  It's one of those charming breakfast/lunch kind of places.  That has more variety of breakfast entrees than you could have ever imagined, lol.

@short+sassy what's a mystery shop?
  • oooh people I know who take pole dancing love it!

Tonight is chiro and Hotel Transylvania 3. 
    Tomorrow we go to Baltimore for the weekend! yay.  I'm currently looking up a ghost tour at night and I think we'll do a seafood tour during the day.  Ok, I hate seafood.  HATE.  But for my H, I'll do it.  That's love ya'll.  That's love.  Because you basically pay for the food and he'll be having my share.

I took my H on a "Love Potion" tour through the French Quarter for a Valentine's Day present one year.  It included stops at various places for edible treats and little gifts related to love and romance.

The first stop was at a bar famous for its oyster shooters.  OMG, they were DELICIOUS!!!  I thought it was going to be straight liquor with an oyster on top.  But they added a little bit of other flavoring/ingredients.  It was definitely the potency of a shot, but with a spicy Bloody Mary taste.

Anyway, my H wasn't going to touch that.  So I was thrilled to get two, lol.  On the bright side, he loved all the rest of the tour and was thrilled with my creative present.

As an aside, one of the stops was at a Voodoo shop, where we each literally got a "love potion", lol.  It was a really fun tour.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H and I are arguing over who gets to rage quit our jobs today, since I don't think us both doing that on the same day would be a good idea.

So that's where I'm at. LOL

But should be a good weekend. Tomorrow night we're going to my sister's house and going out for a friend's birthday and Sunday my uncle is having a family party. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We don't have any definite plans.  I need to do a small grocery run, get my nails done and would like to make a run to a consignment shop I like.  I also need to do laundry and other stuff around the house.

I'm being recruited for another position at work.  It's not an advancement in job title but would be advanced responsibilities and a pay increase.  If I took it, I would be training new employees for the job I currently do and developing continuing education opportunities.  It's an area I really want to work in and I think it would be a good fit.  On the down side, I have only been in my current position 13 months and 5 of those months I was away on special assignment so I feel guilty for considering leaving. 

At this point I think I will interview and then, if there is an offer, I can decide.  During the interview I might find out it's not going to be a good fit or they might decide not to make the offer.   
  • The concert last night was aaaaammmmaaazzzing.  If you have a chance to see the Evanescence/Lindsay Stirling tour this summer, do it.  You won't be disappointed.   I got some great video.  

No idea on the weekend.  Our house guest, like 3 day old fish, is starting to stink and needs to go.  This week has been slightly stressful and I've kept my shit together better than I normally do when I'm stressed, but I'm losing the little patience I have.  I need my house and routine back.  DH and I are having a chat once his friend leaves because I feel taken advantage of. 

If DH has to work tomorrow, I'm finding something for DefConn and me to do out of the house.  We might go to a movie, as he has a GC from his bday and there's a couple out he wants to see.  Sunday, I have no idea.  I do need to go grocery shopping at some point.  
  • @short+sassy, I would love to do that tour when I'm there next! This tour had crab dip and pretzel (may be able to stomach that if it's more cream cheese than crab), oysters and cream of crab soup.  The soup I may be able to do a bit of too.  But alas, that tour was Annapolis and not Baltimore, and we don't have a car, want to do little uber has possible!  So I need an idea of what to do during Sunday now. 

@MNNEBride, do not feel guilty leaving! Take that opportunity if you want it!

I have regaled this board before with my side gig mystery shops, so I didn't define it, lol.  But I know you are a "newer" regular on here and am happy to explain.

A mystery shop is where I go to a business and pretend like I am a normal customer.  In this case, a restaurant.  For restaurants, I'm given instructions and a form to review ahead of time, by the mystery shopping company.  After my visit, I come back home.  Fill out the report, which is primarily yes/no questions with narrative required at the end of each section.

For my work, depending on the MS company, I'm either given just reimbursement for my meal.  Or a reimbursement for my meal plus a $10-$15 fee.  There is a max. limit to the reimbursement, but it is usually enough to cover a meal, appetizer or dessert, and beverages for two.

In a nutshell, the industry process is

• mystery shopping companies have and prospect for business clients who want this service.
    • MS company turns around to shoppers, like myself, that are in their database.  And send out e-mails for a shop they have open in one's area.
    • MS shoppers apply for the shops they are interested in.  There is never any obligation to "have" to apply for any shop.
    • A scheduler at the MS company chooses the shopper from the people who applied and send them an e-mail that they got the assignment.
    • Shopper goes out and completes the assignment on the date/time or date range.

I used to do it a lot, years ago, when I had more time than money, lol.  Overall, it's really flexible work, but not that great paying.  So now, I'm very choosy about the assignments I request.  I usually only do 1-3 shops/month.  It just depends on what I have going on. 

For anyone interested, the best place to learn more about it is www.volition.com.  It's a free website that has a huge message board, as well as a list of just about all the MS companies in North America (also free).  Unfortunately, you have to apply to each one individually (though each app. doesn't take that long) and you usually won't know who even regularly has any shops in your area.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I have regaled this board before with my side gig mystery shops, so I didn't define it, lol.  But I know you are a "newer" regular on here and am happy to explain.

A mystery shop is where I go to a business and pretend like I am a normal customer.  In this case, a restaurant.  For restaurants, I'm given instructions and a form to review ahead of time, by the mystery shopping company.  After my visit, I come back home.  Fill out the report, which is primarily yes/no questions with narrative required at the end of each section.

For my work, depending on the MS company, I'm either given just reimbursement for my meal.  Or a reimbursement for my meal plus a $10-$15 fee.  There is a max. limit to the reimbursement, but it is usually enough to cover a meal, appetizer or dessert, and beverages for two.

In a nutshell, the industry process is

• mystery shopping companies have and prospect for business clients who want this service.
    • MS company turns around to shoppers, like myself, that are in their database.  And send out e-mails for a shop they have open in one's area.
    • MS shoppers apply for the shops they are interested in.  There is never any obligation to "have" to apply for any shop.
    • A scheduler at the MS company chooses the shopper from the people who applied and send them an e-mail that they got the assignment.
    • Shopper goes out and completes the assignment on the date/time or date range.

I used to do it a lot, years ago, when I had more time than money, lol.  Overall, it's really flexible work, but not that great paying.  So now, I'm very choosy about the assignments I request.  I usually only do 1-3 shops/month.  It just depends on what I have going on. 

For anyone interested, the best place to learn more about it is www.volition.com.  It's a free website that has a huge message board, as well as a list of just about all the MS companies in North America (also free).  Unfortunately, you have to apply to each one individually (though each app. doesn't take that long) and you usually won't know who even regularly has any shops in your area.

@short+sassy - got it! I worked in retail for a long time so we have dealt with mystery shoppers before. 

For some reason, I was thinking it was a Priceline style date/adventure where you just show up and you don't know where you are going...

It's been a long week lol
  • @short+sassy, I would love to do that tour when I'm there next! This tour had crab dip and pretzel (may be able to stomach that if it's more cream cheese than crab), oysters and cream of crab soup.  The soup I may be able to do a bit of too.  But alas, that tour was Annapolis and not Baltimore, and we don't have a car, want to do little uber has possible!  So I need an idea of what to do during Sunday now. 

My H isn't a seafood person either, though there are a few things he likes.

He would hate every bit of the food offered in that tour, lol.  He is disgusted by crab and raw oysters.  But will eat chargrilled oysters, which are very different in both texture and taste.  I would happily scarf up all of his portions on that tour, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy - got it! I worked in retail for a long time so we have dealt with mystery shoppers before. 

For some reason, I was thinking it was a Priceline style date/adventure where you just show up and you don't know where you are going...

It's been a long week lol

Yep!  I've done retail store assignments also.

In fact, my very first MS shop ever was for a national maternity store.  You didn't have to be pregnant to complete it, you just had to pretend to be pregnant.  First trimester "pretend" was fine, since the person wouldn't have a bump.

I have never been pregnant, plus it was my first shop!  I was super nervous.  I tried to think of all the questions they might conversationally ask me that a real pregnant woman would automatically know the answers to, so I could answer naturally and not look like a deer in headlights, lol.  Like, "When are you due?"  "How far along are you?"  And make sure those answers "matched" each other, lol. 

I successfully completed it.  I don't think the store personnel was any the wiser.  It was a big boost of confidence to continue with my new side gig.  Now I look back at that one fondly and laugh!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just dropped FI off at work and now I’m at the gym. I need to stop by Sephora to try and get a new foundation that is closer to my current skin tone, although I’m not sure “orange” is a foundation color. Lol. I should stop trying to make fake tans happen. They just don’t mesh with my skin tone. 

I have my first dental appointment in like two years today and I’m a little nervous although I shouldn’t be. I’ve never had a cavity before. But it is a new dentist. So if they tell me I’ve got issues going on I’m going to be very suspicious and I’ll have to suck up an extra payment and long drive to my old dentist.

Afterr the dentist we’re heading down to San Diego. We have a beer tour tonight and then maybe we’ll pub crawl in the Gaslamp district. 

He would hate every bit of the food offered in that tour, lol.  He is disgusted by crab and raw oysters.  But will eat chargrilled oysters, which are very different in both texture and taste.  I would happily scarf up all of his portions on that tour, lol. 

STIB 

The only chargrilled oysters I have ever had was when H and I were in NOLA. We stopped at Acme Oyster House and my life was changed for sure! 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    @short+sassy, I would love to do that tour when I'm there next! This tour had crab dip and pretzel (may be able to stomach that if it's more cream cheese than crab), oysters and cream of crab soup.  The soup I may be able to do a bit of too.  But alas, that tour was Annapolis and not Baltimore, and we don't have a car, want to do little uber has possible!  So I need an idea of what to do during Sunday now. 

STIB 

The only chargrilled oysters I have ever had was when H and I were in NOLA. We stopped at Acme Oyster House and my life was changed for sure! 

A local restaurant called Drago's is the one who first created this dish.  A travel/food writer described them as "the best single bite you will find in New Orleans".  I think that is a perfect description!

I've had them at Drago's, Acme, and a few other restaurants.  Drago's gets the slight edge for me.  But they're pretty much fantastic wherever you go, lol.

For those who have not had the pleasure, the shells are opened and then chargrilled over an open flame in a garlic butter sauce.  Garlic Butter.  I will let that sink in, lol.

They're served at the table piping hot and still in the shell.  With slices of French bread and wedges of lemon.  Because they're cooked, they don't have the "slimy" texture that a lot of people don't care for with raw oysters.

And once you're done eating those delicious, flavorful bites.  Grab a piece of French bread and dip it into that yummy garlic butter that has collected in the shells ;).

Edited to add:  I've heard, though I've never done it, that the chargrilling part is really easy to do at home, if you have access to purchase oysters in the shell.

However, the hard part is opening them.  I'm not exaggerating, for someone who has never done it or doesn't do it regularly, you need to wear a chain mail glove.  It is close hand work with an extremely sharp knife that easily slips.

The oyster shuckers in the restaurants are FAST and rarely wear one of those gloves.  But, man, that is a skill that only comes with umpteen hours of practice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to my best friend's place for a going away party/birthday party. She and her son are moving to TX. They live almost 2 hours away now so I rarely see her anyway. I want to go to see them but dang it is going to be 95 tomorrow with a heat index of over 100. That sounds miserable for an outdoor party with a 1.5 y/o. Not to mention the long drive back and he'll be a monster. Ugh. 
  • Nothing.  We're going to dinner with K's parents tonight to some restaurant their parents have been raving about, then lounging tomorrow, then a volunteer gig on Sunday.  I'm sure somewhere in there we will be cleaning the apartment up too.

Until then, I need to find some motivation for work today.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Nothing.  We're going to dinner with K's parents tonight to some restaurant their parents have been raving about, then lounging tomorrow, then a volunteer gig on Sunday.  I'm sure somewhere in there we will be cleaning the apartment up too.

Until then, I need to find some motivation for work today.

Yeah (sigh).  I've been TKing, instead of doing my timesheet.

I hate timesheet day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

STIB 

A local restaurant called Drago's is the one who first created this dish.  A travel/food writer described them as "the best single bite you will find in New Orleans".  I think that is a perfect description!

I've had them at Drago's, Acme, and a few other restaurants.  Drago's gets the slight edge for me.  But they're pretty much fantastic wherever you go, lol.

For those who have not had the pleasure, the shells are opened and then chargrilled over an open flame in a garlic butter sauce.  Garlic Butter.  I will let that sink in, lol.

They're served at the table piping hot and still in the shell.  With slices of French bread and wedges of lemon.  Because they're cooked, they don't have the "slimy" texture that a lot of people don't care for with raw oysters.

And once you're done eating those delicious, flavorful bites.  Grab a piece of French bread and dip it into that yummy garlic butter that has collected in the shells ;).

Edited to add:  I've heard, though I've never done it, that the chargrilling part is really easy to do at home, if you have access to purchase oysters in the shell.

However, the hard part is opening them.  I'm not exaggerating, for someone who has never done it or doesn't do it regularly, you need to wear a chain mail glove.  It is close hand work with an extremely sharp knife that easily slips.

The oyster shuckers in the restaurants are FAST and rarely wear one of those gloves.  But, man, that is a skill that only comes with umpteen hours of practice.

Someone else mentioned Drago's not to long ago - I'm feeling like I missed out! 

I just found this picture from when we were in NOLA - I need to go back 

• My face was a hot mess and now I'm recovering from some allergic reaction to something I put on it.   I'm not sure what it was but now I'm taking baby steps with all the face products while my skin goes from looking like I have pepperoni cheeks to more of myself.   That plus my healing poison ivy and bug bites makes me glad DH likes the lights dim! 

Now I'm playing the where are you aunt flo game.   DH and I use NFP and I'm pretty strict about using phase 3 but every month I still have this panic as my period day approaches.   
  • Oh, no, Banana! I hope your skin get better and your period comes! I wonder what it was that gave you the reaction!

I have an IUD and I still have a big sign of relief when I start. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Oh, no, Banana! I hope your skin get better and your period comes! I wonder what it was that gave you the reaction!

I have an IUD and I still have a big sign of relief when I start. 
    We still don't know.  I didn't use any one product brand new and for the first time when my skin started breaking out.

My theory and I have no scientific basis for this is that I *did* start using a few new products within a few weeks of each other but not at the same time:
    -Primer in the AM before make up
    -Different make up remover in the PM
    -I *think* my night cream was used before but the packaging was different
    -Hairspray was new in June.  JUNE.
    *THEN* days before the reaction I got poison ivy on my arm.   My thought is that my skin fought the poison ivy and reacted with a new-ish product because I couldn't tell you the last time I had poison ivy (or oak??).   I may have also scratched the poison ivy and touched my face because well....that's hands for you.

So now my face is healing and I get to start patch testing the primer on my arm to see if I break out in it.   Perhaps in the fall I'll do an allergy test on my back.  IN the meantime, I am just glad that the steroid cream healed most of this quickly. 
  • I'm going to check out those Turkish towels. A friend of mine has a lake house. I go there frequently, so I thought I might buy a couple as a gift for her. I don't always take her something (usually food when I go) but once in a while, I take a gift.

House cleaning and garden weeding this weekend before heading back to Chicago. The babies have doctors appointments next week so I'm lending a hand. Next weekend all my kids and spouses will be in town along with the babies. I can't wait! DH will be grilling all weekend and will love every minute of it!

Hope you can figure out what is causing your reaction @banana468. @CharmedPam, I'd eat all your seafood for you! I love all the crab in Baltimore. Have a great time there!
  • No specific plans.