Wedding Woes
Options

4 men

Dear Prudence,
My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost two years and moved in together about six months ago. While he’s a wonderful, charismatic person, he also has a drinking problem defined by daily binge drinking. The majority of our relationship before he moved in was long-distance, and while I was aware of the drinking issue, I was unprepared for the day-to-day challenges of alcoholism. A year ago, he found out that I had been unfaithful, and after some time apart, we decided to try to make it work. In that time, I’ve dedicated myself to making it up to him by cutting off friends, coming out as gay, introducing him to my family, moving him in, and doing everything I can to redeem myself. However, during our first few weeks and months living together, he still seemed distant, resentful, and uninterested in me. Small things, like mentioning a conversation with a co-worker or meeting with a friend, sent him into a jealous rage. Eventually, I started reporting every move I made to him throughout the day to build trust—but despite brief stints of contentment, we always ended up clashing again. This happened so frequently that we were asked to leave a rental property in my name, barely escaping an eviction. We moved again, and we both have great careers and I was confident that we could still make it work. But he treated me as a roommate with benefits—I would ask for a kiss or a hug or encouragement after a stressful day only to be blown off, repeatedly.

After silently dealing with his suspicion and indifference for months, I confronted him, but he told me I was being dramatic. A year after we got back together, he still views me with contempt—although he has admitted his own indiscretions since then. He won’t listen to anyone about his destructive drinking. He says he loves me but still can’t trust me. I’ve left our home—but he insists I come back daily so he can sleep better at night. Yet when I’m there, his attitude toward me remains the same. I want to get out of this cycle, but I fear I’m in too deep to see the situation clearly.
—Drunk in Love

Re: 4 men

• Options
    Omg he isn’t a wonderful person. 
  • Options
    Move on. There's no trust here and therefore, nothing to build a functional relationship with. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    This is what happens when you tell people relationships are work, or that they should be work. 

No. A relationship is basic maintenance with a person you ALREADY LOVE, so it doesn't feel like a chore. Come on. Love is easy, and it doesn't hurt, and it isn't work. Stop validating shit like this. 

(I am apparently cranky. It's been too hot and muggy to sleep, so I'mma blame that.) 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Queer people are so often in abusive relationships, for so many reasons.  Add to that, a very real fear of never finding anyone again b/c of being queer and it's a recipe for a fucking disaster.  Which is what this LW is in.  LW actually IS seeing his situation clearly, they just don't want to leave.  Find a support system and leave, LW.  No one deserves this.
    Yup.   He needs to get out and have the confidence that no relationship is better than whatever the hell that is. 
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    HE HAS SINCE ADMITTED HIS OWN INDISCRETIONS?!?!  smdh

This guy is not a good guy and you need to ruuuuuuuun away.

• Options
    LW is putting up with admitted open contempt and an alcoholic.  I feel so sad that they even needed to write to Prudie.  GTFO already!  This is an abusive relationship and you can and will do better!
  • Options
    Aside from his cheating, abusive behavior, codependency issues and alcohol addiction he's a fantastic guy! 
  • Options

LW, you just described a textbook case of abuse.  He may not be hitting you...yet.  But he's isolating you.  He's making you insecure.  You're walking on eggshells and adjusting ordinary aspects of daily life in order to not "displease him".  You strive for love that rarely comes.  And that's EXACTLY how he wants it.  Abusers crave power.

Oh, but then sometimes things are wonderful aren't they?  If only he would learn to trust you again?  And then things would be wonderful most of the time.  And he'd be happier too, so his drinking would decrease.  Does this sound familiar to thoughts that run through your head, LW?

Also a sign of abuse.  Abusers aren't horrible all the time.  Their victims would leave them much faster if they were.  They can be charismatic.  And they do dole out the charm and the love...just enough to convince and give hope that "if only you did X and didn't do Y...if only you didn't make me mad...look how great things could be".

Another Prudie letter where the solution is so obvious, but it's hard for the person in it to see the forest for the trees.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He hasn't forgiven you, and it sounds like he won't. Fear of not finding someone else is real and terrifying, but so is a life full of contempt and abuse. Find support and find the ability to leave. 
  • Options
    LW, you are being abused. Your boyfriend is NOT a wonderful person. Please do not let fear of never finding anyone else make you stay with him. Please get out of this and get help.