Wedding Reception Forum

Cocktail Hour Introduction

Has anyone joined in during their cocktail hour? We really want to take pictures before hand and then just our couple pictures right after the ceremony but still have time to greet people at the cocktail hour. Do we get introduced into cocktail hour? Or do we just walk in and then do a big formal introduction into dinner?

Re: Cocktail Hour Introduction

• Has anyone joined in during their cocktail hour? We really want to take pictures before hand and then just our couple pictures right after the ceremony but still have time to greet people at the cocktail hour. Do we get introduced into cocktail hour? Or do we just walk in and then do a big formal introduction into dinner?
    We mingled in our cocktail hour and then were introduced.   It worked well as a way to signal that guests needed to take seats and that dinner was going to be served.  The on site coordinator and DJ coordinated with us to exit the room and then the into into first dance happened.   
  • We joined in on cocktail hour, no introduction needed. We also announced to guests when it was time to move to the dining area for dinner. We didn't get announced but also had a smaller wedding (50 people). I like when the couple join in on the cocktail hour. More time to spend with guests.
  • We also attended our cocktail hour, and then did an introduction into the dining room once everyone was seated. Seems pretty common in our circle. 
  • Go to your cocktail hour if you can.  I personally think huge introductions are really dumb and they are certainly unnecessary (seriously, everyone knows who you are and for the love of God do not make your bridal party dance in to a stupid song, it's embarrassing and uncomfortable).  If you dont' want to give up the big intro, just do it after cocktail hour.

• edited July 2018
    Yeah, I agree with PPs - especially Casadena and the forced cutesy BP intros. My brother and SIL wanted us all to do that at their wedding and literally only the MOH did a dance or something. The rest of us walked in, held up our glass toast-style and sat the fuck down. So uncomfortable. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Our intro was more of a "walk into the room".   Then the BP stood while we had our first dance.   There was no forcing of anyone to dance.   They just walked in.

I did have to dance in during an into once and it wasn't my favorite.  
  • We attended cocktail hour. We just walked in and started socializing. You know what was really cool? They let me budge in line for the bar and all the circulating servers bee-lined to me first with appetizers. Woo!

At the end of the hour, the DJ announced for people to take their seats for dinner. The wedding party stood off to the side and then the DJ did our introductions. The wedding party sat down, and DH and I stayed standing to do our cake cutting.

I still think intros are nice at some point, even when you're already at cocktail hour before them, because you usually have a diverse guest list. Relatives don't know the besties standing up with you, friends from work don't know your parents, that kind of thing. 

• banana468 said:
    Has anyone joined in during their cocktail hour? We really want to take pictures before hand and then just our couple pictures right after the ceremony but still have time to greet people at the cocktail hour. Do we get introduced into cocktail hour? Or do we just walk in and then do a big formal introduction into dinner?
    We mingled in our cocktail hour and then were introduced.   It worked well as a way to signal that guests needed to take seats and that dinner was going to be served.  The on site coordinator and DJ coordinated with us to exit the room and then the into into first dance happened.   
    We did the same. 

We just introduced me and H, not the entire bridal party. We loved being at cocktail hour and the staff saved an entire tray of appetizers at our table for us. 
  • we went right into the reception and mingled and drank.   No introduction at all.  I did the very least "spot lights" I could do for myself.  

• We attended cocktail hour. We just walked in and started socializing. You know what was really cool? They let me budge in line for the bar and all the circulating servers bee-lined to me first with appetizers. Woo!

At the end of the hour, the DJ announced for people to take their seats for dinner. The wedding party stood off to the side and then the DJ did our introductions. The wedding party sat down, and DH and I stayed standing to do our cake cutting.

I still think intros are nice at some point, even when you're already at cocktail hour before them, because you usually have a diverse guest list. Relatives don't know the besties standing up with you, friends from work don't know your parents, that kind of thing. 
    I know, I LOVED it. The staff waited on me hand and foot.  First and last time that'll ever happen!

I know, I LOVED it. The staff waited on me hand and foot.  First and last time that'll ever happen!

After our wedding, my friend stood there waving while like 7 cabs drove by. I'm like "I got this" and as soon as I stepped into the street and put my arm up, one made a u-turn and came hauling ass up to me. I felt so important. 

I should really bust that dress out more often when I need shit in a hurry.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

After our wedding, my friend stood there waving while like 7 cabs drove by. I'm like "I got this" and as soon as I stepped into the street and put my arm up, one made a u-turn and came hauling ass up to me. I felt so important. 

I should really bust that dress out more often when I need shit in a hurry.
    My husband and I had ~15 minutes to kill before our train home after our wedding lunch and he wanted to offer someone a dollar for a cigarette, but only had a 20$, so I offered to go up to a hot dog cart guy and buy a soda so we could get change. The cart guy practically threw two sodas at us and kept saying "Congratulations" after us as we walked away once he saw I was in a white dress and he was in a suit. So yay free soda, but boo no change :P