Wedding Woes

Need some ideas for my mom

my mom had toe surgery in late June. The implant disconnected and she had another one in late July. She thought she was doing ok last week so she decided to take ice cream sandwiches to the neighbor kids (wtf?). Anyway she fell and broke her shoulder!  

Its hard to walk, go to the bathroom, shower, get out of the house. She’s BORED. 

My dad bought her a puzzle but that lasted about 20 mins. Any ideas that hold keep a 1 armed, 1 footed 72 year old busy?

Re: Need some ideas for my mom

• Reading (a kindle would mean she doesn’t have to really use two hands to hold a book and flip pages)

Find a show to binge watch

Is she creative? She could work on organizing photos for a photo album/creative memories. 

Does she cook and/or have some great secret recipes? Now would be a great time to write/type them down to pass along. 

• And sending her good vibes for a quick recovery! 

• Books on tape, a new show to binge watch (and a Roku if they don’t have one) a sudoku book, a box of old photographs to put in order?
  • We got my mom wireless headphones and an audible subscription for her bday so that she can listen to books during chemo or when she's too tired to read, but wants to keep her mind busy. 
  • Did she break the shoulder on her dominant side?  If not, maybe adult coloring books?  

Is she interested in family history?  How about a subscription to Ancestry and a laptop or tablet to explore?
  • My mom recently had surgery and she's binge watching Netflix. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It’s the nondominant arm. She’s over tv. So over tv. I like the recipe idea. I’ve been making a few of her recipes and the kids are asking for more.  It would be mind and a little physical. 
  • If she can get to a local library, they are always looking for reading buddies for kids.
  • A book of sudoko (I always spell that wrong) or brain teasers?  A 3D puzzle or one that is more complicated?
  • Could she write or record some memories of her growing up days or of yours? 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    a calligraphy kit?
    new brush lettering stuff is awesome, just spend $50 at jetpens
  • 6fsn6fsn member

I don't know how I'm stuck in a box alone.  She's very much not a crafty person. 

She's able to get to her normal volunteer gig and I don't see her adding reading buddies then dropping it.

I'm going to send her some word searches and just visit once a week.

Probably worse than boredom is being cooped up with my dad:)

• 6fsn said:

I don't know how I'm stuck in a box alone.  She's very much not a crafty person. 

She's able to get to her normal volunteer gig and I don't see her adding reading buddies then dropping it.

I'm going to send her some word searches and just visit once a week.

Probably worse than boredom is being cooped up with my dad:)

HA!  Yes.  My mom was the same way during her recovery.  My dad works from home part time and the rest in the office.  She about had a party the first day she was alone once she started feeling better.  ;)