Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Engagement photog vs Wedding Photog

Is there any weird rule about having to hire the photographer who shot your engagement photos to also shoot your wedding?

I was thinking of hiring a cheaper photog for my engagement photos since they will mostly be for social media and STDs vs wedding photos which will be printed and need to be a higher quality (IMO). 

Would love to hear from everyone!

Re: Engagement photog vs Wedding Photog

• Is there any weird rule about having to hire the photographer who shot your engagement photos to also shoot your wedding?

I was thinking of hiring a cheaper photog for my engagement photos since they will mostly be for social media and STDs vs wedding photos which will be printed and need to be a higher quality (IMO). 

Would love to hear from everyone!
    Nope. No such rule.
    some people like to use the same photographer because they get comfortable with them or because the photographer will offer a discount on an engagement and wedding package but it is not necessary to use the same.
  • No rule. But, a valid engagement photographer is going to give you the same quality print options. You may choose a lower-priced photog who is less skilled in the artistry, but actual product quality should be the same. 

• Do you have someone in mind for wedding photos already? I know most of the photographers I spoke with offered an engagement shoot with the wedding package. Maybe that's a regional thing but it was almost standard with everyone I talked to! Might be worth looking into. 
  • That is what we are doing. We booked a higher quality photographer for the wedding who had more experience then are planning to have a friend of mine from college do our engagement pics. The friend's photography business is just starting out, so prices are cheaper, but she's done pics for us before so we know what to expect.