Wedding Woes

It's Wednesday

2»

Re: It's Wednesday

• levioosa said:
    Nevada elected a dead brothel owner. It sounds like the title of an Onion article. 
    I can't really roll my eyes too hard.  MO elected Carnahan to the Senate after he passed b/c of election laws.  It happens.  I was happy with that particular outcome, since the race was a hard fought one between two of the major players in each party at the time, Ashcroft and Carnahan, so I can't make too much fun of this one.

Now, the brothel owner part, tickles me (though I eyeroll at the hypocrisy).
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    This is the first I even heard of him passing away! From this article here, not one from October 16th.  

• levioosa said:
    Nevada elected a dead brothel owner. It sounds like the title of an Onion article. 
    can you link to a news article? I'm intrigued!
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dennis-hof-dead-brothel-owner-wins-election-nevada/story?id=59028452

• VarunaTT said:

From what I read in the article I read (perhaps the same one), it actually kinda makes sense.  If I understood correctly, since the deceased elected official is a Republican, whoever is appointed into his spot also has to be from the Republican Party.  So, for "party voters"...and so many people are...they were essentially still voting for the Republican Party.  Perhaps there were other GOP candidates, but I don't know.

With all that said, while I could understand someone who owns 20 brothels being a pro-business, GOP kind of guy.  You'd think the GOP social politics might not sit too well with him and the GOP Christian Right voters would hate him.

I wish he were still alive so I could ask him these questions, lol.  I'm also fantasizing if it had been him (still alive) or Democrat choices.  And the uber-right had to agonize over Brothel Owner vs. a Democrat.  #WorstElectionDayEver for them, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats Mittens!!!! 
    I was bummed Beto lost too @Jen4948 and I’m all the way across the country.
    I was happy enough with my local results.  What I expected (blue area) but since 2016 I’m anxious until the results are officially in. SSDD otherwise.
  • On a side note: the Olay lady at the top of the page is driving me crazy. 

• Busy day today!  I'm happy that at least one of the chambers flipped yesterday!  I am very impressed with the voter turnout alone!  I've never had to wait in a long line to vote, but I'm always impressed with those who stick it out!

And congrats Mr. Representative Elect Mittens!

• VarunaTT said:

From what I read in the article I read (perhaps the same one), it actually kinda makes sense.  If I understood correctly, since the deceased elected official is a Republican, whoever is appointed into his spot also has to be from the Republican Party.  So, for "party voters"...and so many people are...they were essentially still voting for the Republican Party.  Perhaps there were other GOP candidates, but I don't know.

With all that said, while I could understand someone who owns 20 brothels being a pro-business, GOP kind of guy.  You'd think the GOP social politics might not sit too well with him and the GOP Christian Right voters would hate him.

I wish he were still alive so I could ask him these questions, lol.  I'm also fantasizing if it had been him (still alive) or Democrat choices.  And the uber-right had to agonize over Brothel Owner vs. a Democrat.  #WorstElectionDayEver for them, lol.

I had no idea this was actually a thing, replacing deceased candidates with another party member. 

But as far as #worstelectiondayever, this is why I abhor our two-party system. I'm not in that state so who knows if there were more candidates for that position, but theoretically they didn't have to vote for the brothel owner or democrat- could have chosen someone else or written in. Also, a friend of mine recently posted an article that true Christians* really don't fit in the two party system. Our current political environment needs to get with the times! More people identify as independent than either D or R these days. A lot of people do not feel represented by the major parties. 

*By true Christians, I personally mean the non-hypocrites. The real followers of Jesus's message of love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others, etc. 

• VarunaTT said:

I had no idea this was actually a thing, replacing deceased candidates with another party member. 

But as far as #worstelectiondayever, this is why I abhor our two-party system. I'm not in that state so who knows if there were more candidates for that position, but theoretically they didn't have to vote for the brothel owner or democrat- could have chosen someone else or written in. Also, a friend of mine recently posted an article that true Christians* really don't fit in the two party system. Our current political environment needs to get with the times! More people identify as independent than either D or R these days. A lot of people do not feel represented by the major parties. 

*By true Christians, I personally mean the non-hypocrites. The real followers of Jesus's message of love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others, etc. 
    sure they could have. But why would they if they want a republican in the seat?
  • Our ballet had 2 stupid questions:
    Would you like us to raise property taxes 1%?
    Would you like us to charge a "per mile" tax on all vehicles?

Yes, let me pay the state of IL even more money.  I don't give them nearly enough - said no one ever.

Well, actually 76,718 people said yes to the vehicle motor tax, but a bunch of us on nextdoor think the question was worded poorly and intended to trick people. I can't find the results for the property tax question...still searching.
    @CharmedPam do you have a site for your area board of elections? I was able to find every single result for Chicago on the BoE site. 
    We voted to ban straws, so, there's that. (Non-binding of course.)

oooh got it.  Thanks!
    Apparently 101,924 ppl in my county said they wanted a property tax increase. again, I feel like not many people knew what they were answering....

And only 55% voter turn out in my county too :(

• VarunaTT said:

sure they could have. But why would they if they want a republican in the seat?
    This is why Collins not just stayed in the race in my district but a shitton of money was funneled in by National Republicans. Because when he goes to jail the party will likely pick his replacement. 

Yes, let me pay the state of IL even more money.  I don't give them nearly enough - said no one ever.

Well, actually 76,718 people said yes to the vehicle motor tax, but a bunch of us on nextdoor think the question was worded poorly and intended to trick people. I can't find the results for the property tax question...still searching.
    @CharmedPam do you have a site for your area board of elections? I was able to find every single result for Chicago on the BoE site. 

oooh got it.  Thanks!
    Apparently 101,924 ppl in my county said they wanted a property tax increase. again, I feel like not many people knew what they were answering....

I dunno I always vote in favor of tax increases! I like lots of govt services and I think they’re worth paying for. 

oooh got it.  Thanks!

I dunno I always vote in favor of tax increases! I like lots of govt services and I think they’re worth paying for. 
    The tax increases in our state thus far were a burden that was shifted from the public sector to private sector.   And two major business left our state in the last 18 months under current leadership.

There's a massive deficit here but until the concept of a 401K is approached over a pension-based system I am loathe to open my arms to the concept that increasing my taxes is going to get me anything other than a lower net pay.

oooh got it.  Thanks!

I dunno I always vote in favor of tax increases! I like lots of govt services and I think they’re worth paying for.  Services are worth paying for. Depending on your state, you're literally paying less for services and more for things like financial penalities on mismanaged budgets and pension bail-out attempts after imbeciles fucked over their constituents by mismanaging their retirement accounts. 
    Personally, I don't reward mismanagement and corruption by consenting to flush even more of money down the toilet. 
    VarunaTT said:

sure they could have. But why would they if they want a republican in the seat? Because of the original question, if the guy was still alive, they're not just voting for an R candidate but an actual person who doesn't share some of their more important values. 

• Congrats to the Mittens!

I’m pissed at my state and the senate turn out. Fucking Braun. 

I’m in TX at my grandparent’s house and this is all surreal. I’ve not spent this much time with my mom’s side of the family alone (without my kids or DH) since I was a teenager.  My mom’s side is an interesting bunch for so many reasons. My grandpa is breaking my heart, but he’s hanging in there. It’s been wine o’clock for him since noon.    
  • VarunaTT said:

I certainly can't speak for other areas, but candidates cannot be written in on my ballot.  Maybe on the mail in ones?  I've never done that, so I'm not sure.  But the ballots themselves in the booths are electrical push buttons, that are cleared between each voter.  There is nothing to write on, even if one wanted to.  With that said, I vaguely remember for the Presidential Election there were instructions given on how to write someone in.  Or there was some way to do it, even with the "electric" ballot we have.  But there was nothing like that, this time.

I agree the two-party system is limiting and I don't care for it either.  But it is what it is.  Pre-Trump, I generally tended to run Democratic on social issues and Republican on some fiscal ones.  I used to read up about specific candidates from both parties to choose the one who aligns with my views the best.  But I recognize I have become very biased against the Republican Party in the Trump administration.

I certainly wasn't trying to bash Christians and I hope I didn't give that impression.  The true teachings you mentioned...as is true with most major religions...are lovely and to be strived for.  But some of the worst, most intolerant, hateful people I have ever met are super Conservative and loudly proclaim themselves "Christian".  "Force it down your throat" Christians with no tolerance for other religions.  Which is very unChristian-like, but they never seem to recognize that irony.  And those are the people I like to see squirming when GOP candidate choices aren't "conservative enough" for them.

----------------

As a last aside, and I'm not picking on you :), but I always like to clarify when someone uses the term independent when they really mean non-partisan (no party affiliation).  The vast majority of the time, people understand what is meant.

But there actually is a party called the American Independent Party and they are pretty extreme, imho.  Their candidates will have "Independent" as their party affiliation, so I always like to spread the word/remind that Independent ≠ Non-Partisan.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I dunno I always vote in favor of tax increases! I like lots of govt services and I think they’re worth paying for.  Services are worth paying for. Depending on your state, you're literally paying less for services and more for things like financial penalities on mismanaged budgets and pension bail-out attempts after imbeciles fucked over their constituents by mismanaging their retirement accounts. 
    Personally, I don't reward mismanagement and corruption by consenting to flush even more of money down the toilet. 

This was EXACTLY my thought!  I don't mind paying more in taxes when needed services/more benefits are included.  And sometimes those will be specific propositions.

But it's often a general "give us more money" to do with as we see fit.  NO WAY!  NO HOW!  Not in my city.  I realize this is area-specific, but New Orleans has a long standing history of blatant corruption in government.  It's not even a distant past of the "bad, old days".  Former Mayor Ray Nagin (mayor during Hurricane Katrina) is in a Federal prison as we speak, for bribery and other related charges.

And that's a different guy than the former Congressman I mentioned earlier, who is also in prison for bribery.

Along with NOLA can't manage what they have after "gov't money gets pocketed/vanishes".  Though I suspect mismanagement is a complaint for a lot of places.  

For anyone wondering why I still live here.  That is a good question that I don't have an answer for at times like this, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsmittenmrsmitten member
    Combo Breaker 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2018
    @kvruns and @ILoveBeachMusic I admittedly would have googled him too if it was someone else hahaha.  Just don't tell the public about his crazy mom:).
  • My district voted to re-elect a Congressman who is currently under indictment (and outnon bail!) for insider trading. So that’s how I’m doing today. 
    At least your state didn't elect a guy who is ineligible to practice law in this state as Attorney General (among other reasons not to vote for the individual)...  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    My district voted to re-elect a Congressman who is currently under indictment (and outnon bail!) for insider trading. So that’s how I’m doing today. 
    At least your state didn't elect a guy who is ineligible to practice law in this state as Attorney General (among other reasons not to vote for the individual)...  
    Shockingly, I've read that the MN constitution does not require the MN AG to hold a law license or be a trained lawyer.  Among other reasons not to vote for the individual indeed.

Congratulations to the Mittens!

@NOLABridesmaid, I'm sorry about your horrible day - hope Weds was better!