Wedding Woes

Thursday

Aaaaaand we wake up to another mass shooting :(

I just spent $100.00 on candles.  The one with the rings in them I'll never wear?  But one was a Christmas gift and the others were to enticing not to try.

I guess I am hosting Tgiving.  For a possible 4, but 3 for sure (we never know H's scheudle).  I reminded my mom that Dad wanted to go out.  "He absolutely doesn't!".  Fine.  I really don't care because we'll keep it simple, but I swear he said he wanted to go out.  H even heard it too!

Re: Thursday

• @CharmedPam, Yeah :(.  Don't get me wrong, all shootings are tragic.  But, for me, it's extra striking when it is so random.  People just living their lives, doing their normal stuff/routine.  Like I do, like we all do.  And are killed by a sick individual for no reason, other than being at the wrong place at the wrong time.  The uptick in frequency of these mass shootings is also making me sad and ragey.

I'm finally starting to feel on a more even keel in my own personal life.  My special project is done and I finally had a relaxing weekend.  My work had been extra stressful this week, but I finished the extra urgent stuff yesterday.  Still busy and more to finish up, but I can be more relaxed about it.

And, in an unusual twist, I have to keep convincing myself that, "Yes!  It IS Thurs."  It keeps emotionally feeling like I have more work days left for the week.  But I don't, other than finishing today and my half-day Fri. tomorrow.  Phew! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Getting new brakes today.  Between tires and this I'll be sinking $700 into my car within 2 weeks.  Blergh.  Oh well it's still cheaper than a car payment.

That's really about it.

• My dog died suddenly and unexpectedly today. The vet thinks it might have been a blood clot. DH and I are both a mess.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    My dog died suddenly and unexpectedly today. The vet thinks it might have been a blood clot. DH and I are both a mess.
    I am so sorry. 😢 Big hugs.
  • I am so sorry @missjeanlouise.  That's awful.  Giant internet hugs.
  • @Jen4948, fx for you
    @6fsn, sorry your brakes went.  It really sucks :(
    @MissJeanLouoise, super big hugs to you.  That's so heartbreaking 

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited November 2018
    6fsn said:

Getting new brakes today.  Between tires and this I'll be sinking $700 into my car within 2 weeks.  Blergh.  Oh well it's still cheaper than a car payment.

That's really about it.

I'm sorry you're having car trouble. Hope that after your brakes are fixed, your car is safe to drive and you can recoup your money at least eventually.
  • @missJeanLouise, I'm so sorry!
    @6fsn - Adulting sucks when it comes to car repairs and such.

I was out sick yesterday with upper respiratory crud.  I curled up in the recliner and cleared out the dvr.  So I'm now caught up on This is Us and my Housewives. I'm back today but at about 75%.  I just want to crawl under my desk and take a nap (ala George Castanza!)

Our election results were good with a few disappointments.   

@mrsconn23 and any other Bravo fans - have you caught Play By Play with Jerry O'Connell?  It recorded after a couple of my shows and it was really funny.  Now I don't see it in the line up.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018

@Jen4948, It's an interesting story!  I can picture that it is hard for some...maybe to some extent "all"...writers to take constructive criticism from editors.  Especially when it comes to content.  And from your perspective, you're thinking, "OMG, I am telling you obvious things to improve the readability of the story and give you a snowball's chance in hell to maybe have a publishing house give it a second glance.  Yet, you're still not listening to reason."  At any rate, you can only do what you can do within the parameters she wants.

Edited to add:

@missJeanLouise, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog!  I think it's always a little harder when it is so unexpected.  ((Hugs))

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Omg @missJeanLouise I am soooo sorry.  How devastating.  I am sending you all the good healing vibes.  Thank you for loving your pup and giving him/her a home and life full of love.

• My dog died suddenly and unexpectedly today. The vet thinks it might have been a blood clot. DH and I are both a mess.
    Oh MJL I’m so so sorry. That’s awful. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited November 2018

@Jen4948, It's an interesting story!  I can picture that it is hard for some...maybe to some extent "all"...writers to take constructive criticism from editors.  Especially when it comes to content.  And from your perspective, you're thinking, "OMG, I am telling you obvious things to improve the readability of the story and give you a snowball's chance in hell to maybe have a publishing house give it a second glance.  Yet, you're still not listening to reason."  At any rate, you can only do what you can do within the parameters she wants.

Well, I have some leverage over her, because no agent or publisher is going to "only give her what she wants." If she tries that with anyone else in the editing or publishing world, she can hope their doors don't smack her in the butt too hard on the way out. None of them will put up with the crap that she gave me.

They are concerned with producing, marketing and selling books to target markets, not the personal beliefs and delicate feelings of first-time novelists.

And editors are like other professionals. Just as your plumbers won't let you tell them how to fix your sink, your accountants won't let you tell them how to prepare your tax returns, your lawyers won't let you decide what arguments to make while representing you in court, and your doctors won't let you decide how they should perform your surgery, editors won't put up with clients trying to control how they do their jobs. A client who does that is told "Buh-bye" and shown the door.

I think she's going to learn that the hard way.

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    Omg @missJeanLouise I am so sorry. 

Seems like a pretty shit day so far for a bunch of people. Hugs to everyone. I can’t (but can) believe about the shooting. And what’s even more sick is that people there survived the Las Vegas shooting a year ago. We’re at the point where people are surviving multiple mass shootings in their life time. That makes me so nauseous. 

I have another paper to do and the house is a god awful mess so I’ll be working on that. I need to set up a schedule for a cleaner again. I hurt my foot/ankle somehow so I’m trying to figure out a game plan there. I’d like to go to the gym but my biggest reason for going are the cardio machines and I probably should be off the foot as much as possible. 

Edit: for some reason I thought LV shooting was two years ago because so much has happened since then. Nope. That’s how fucked up and often mass shootings are now. 

Oh my god. I'm so sorry! 
  • @missJeanLouise I am so sorry. You get all the hugs today. 
  • I am going to pick up the Dear Prudie gauntlet, in light of @mrsconn being in TX.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hugs @missJeanLouise! I am so sorry!  

Adulting sucks 6. 

I need a nap and this day has been long already.  I need to make it about another 12 hours.  Easy peasy. 
  • So sorry @missJeanLouise!  How sad.

John Berman on CNN: “The largest mass shooting in this country in TWELVE DAYS. Let that sink in.” :( 

The Director of Student Activities is a huge ham so he’s constantly planning faculty performance events.  Faculty Karaoke Challenge, Faculty So You Think Can Dance, etc.  All for the students to watch.  He’s been trying to get a Faculty Talent Show going, even though it wasn’t well received when brought up at the last faculty meeting.  The show is slated for next Friday night but it may not happen since there are only three acts so far (one of which is him and another is a duo-him and another teacher).  The principal loves him and always give his ideas the green light but he’s all pissed at everyone for their lack of enthusiasm. Just sent a passive-aggressive and unfair email saying we don’t get involved with the students after-hours.  (False bc most of us attend the student talent show as well as their concerts, plays, games, etc.)  And 15 minutes ago semi-cornered me in the faculty room saying it was a shame I wouldn’t sign up considering I was the most recent faculty member asking for volunteers (faculty doused the students with colorful powder at the color run I was in charge of).  I tried to say cheering students on from the sidelines of a color run is different than getting on stage.  He walked away saying “oh I’ve been hearing excuses alll day..”.  So I’m in an annoyed place.
  • Oh no sorry MJL
  • Ugh @eileenrob that sounds super annoying. Performing =/= organizing an event. Only hams would think otherwise. Tbh at this stage in my life performing for anything sounds like a nightmare. 

• levioosa said:
    Ugh @eileenrob that sounds super annoying. Performing =/= organizing an event. Only hams would think otherwise. Tbh at this stage in my life performing for anything sounds like a nightmare. 

Agreed!  You have my sympathies @eileenrob.  Many teachers already go far and above their job requirements, in donating their time.  It is such b.s. to get pissy because people don't want to give up their Fri. night for an event that he already knows most people don't want to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry to hear that @eileenrob. That does sound extra annoying that this guy is being such a jerk about how you and the other faculty spend their time.
  • I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday.  Then Saturday we finally have our big fancy fundraiser party we've been planning for forever.  K's mom is fixing the sleeves on my dress, shoes are bought, jewelry done.  We're getting our hair done starting at 1 on Saturday.  I need an updo and I've found some I like, but I'm pretty tempted just to tell my hair dress to do WTF he wants too.

Today is just a SSDD day.  
  • @short+sassy, congratulations! Thanks for sharing your good news. We all needed to hear some today.
    So sorry!
  • MJL - I'm so sorry for your loss.  That is heartbreaking.

Eileen - That dude needs to get over himself!  There is a huge difference between cheering students on a various events THEY are in and performing on a stage.  Besides - would the students even show up?  I don't think I would have gone to school to see my teachers perform when I was in HS.

Today started at the dentist for a cavity to get filled.  It went smoothly and pretty quickly.  While I was perusing FB, a 5 year old black lab named Olive came up from the local shelter.  I told H I needed to have another black lab named Olive in my life!  So we are meeting her tonight, after work! Squeee!  I think as long as she does good with DD (and our current Olive), we will add her to our family! <3

• Oh, no, MJL. I am so sorry.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Thanks everyone.  What bothers me are that there are some teachers who don’t attend or participate in any after school activities.  Some can’t, some don’t want to.  But many of us, myself included, do. Quite often.  I didn’t perform in talent shows when I was a student myself (partially shy/partially not particularly talented) so it’s just not my thing.  I always attend the one the students put on and I feel like that’s enough for them, seeing their teachers/counselors in the audience. A silly thing to be irked over with everything else going on...but thank you for letting me vent!