Wedding Woes

It's Monday again

This weekend was kinda boring. These fires in California are looking really scary. 

Saturday 6let had his first futsal game. It was REALLY fun to watch.  His coach is animated and really gets into it.  Because of the location, the fans sit on the same bench as the teams and coaches and there is no our side vs. their side. 

The down side was that I watched a parent make his kid cry after the game because the kid didn't play well.  I had heard these parents do this, but had never seen it.  They're on the team for the tournament this weekend too.  This is when I'm glad my kid is a keeper and I can go to the other end of the field if necessary.

Sunday was church and nothing much else.  I did manage to do a bunch of on-line shopping and have Christmas pretty close to done.  M2 wants to get her ears pierced for Christmas. She LOVES dragons and I found these earrings! https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Stud-Earrings-Sterling-Silver/dp/B075KN1P35/ref=sr_1_16?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1542031304&sr=8-16&keywords=dragon+stud+earrings&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Re: It's Monday again

• Oh and speaking of Amazon- I ordered Christmas party invitations.  I got 2 soccer books instead.  They refunded my money and I get to keep the books.  I'm totally giving them to 6let for Christmas.  Then I found invites that would work for $10 cheaper than Amazon.
  • Those are so cute, 6!!

I had a pretty good weekend. Ran errands and cleaned and stuff Saturday, Bears game yesterday. We won, but our kicker left 8 points on the field. EIGHT. Teams like the Vikings and the Packers and the Rams will not let us get away with that kind of shit. 

I cannot believe Thanksgiving is next week already!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm totally ignoring Tday right now.  Wednesday we go to the woods with my family.  Thursday morning we get up and head to MILs for a 1pm lunch.  DH has not talked to them about what we need to bring.  He has not spoken to FIL about if we will be doing anything with them. 

I have so much shit to work out for this weekend- DH, 6let and I traveling to Maryland Friday to some time on Sunday.  I'm team admin and field marshal so need to keep that together (and we have a family traveling with us and the parents do speak English).  Max is spending the weekend with MIL.  M2 is with my parents Friday night and a sleepover Saturday night.  blergh

• It was a happy, mellow weekend!

I did have an eye-roll with a "Nextdoor interaction".  Someone was selling brand new 30oz Yeti travel mugs for $20.  I was e-mailing back and forth with the seller on time/where we would meet for the exchange.  A woman.  I was meticulous on, not just where we were meeting, but literally where I would be standing...near the entrance...and what I would be wearing.  Obviously, I'm expecting someone to be walking up to me.

She sent me a text message at 10:11 that she was on her way (the meeting was at 10:30).  I was already on my way and didn't see it until I got there at 10:28.  No biggie.  I texted back that I was at the entrance.  Waited about 10 minutes...hmmm, weird she isn't here yet.  I was just getting my phone out to send a text message, when a guy...in an exasperated tone and about 10' from me...calls over, "Hey, are you the one buying the cup?"  I told him I was and started walking over to him.  In the same exasperated tone he tells me that "S" had to run inside, he has four grandkids waiting in the truck...his truck was parked in the emergency lane...and I was supposed to be waiting "by the carts".  To which I reply, "Nooooo, I told her I would be waiting by the entrance that has the carts.

The entrance, I'll point out, that he couldn't see from where he parked his truck.

At any rate, I got my Yeti cup.  So I guess it could have been worse, like if no one had shown up.  But it irritated me to be "chastised" when I was exactly where I'd said I would be and she/they were the ones suddenly changing what I was expecting, with no word to me.  I'm also strongly suspicious that the whole "her being in the store" was b.s.  Because, unless they got there before I did, she would have had to walk right past me without saying a word. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S+S not gonna lie when I read that I figured you either got stood up or he tried to pull you into the truck! Glad it worked out. I only do porch pickups for stuff because I don't have the energy to deal with meeting flaky people

BTW I was going to ask you, any diabetic friendly treat ideas? I'm pretty sure one of B's teachers is diabetic and I was going to get the other teachers a food gift (truffles in a pretty box or candy or whatever) but I'm not sure what to do for her. At first I thought sugar free something but then I was like what if I'm wrong and she isn't actually diabetic and thinks I'm weird.  
  • Weekend was okay. I was canceled (again) on Saturday so we went to visit my parents instead. It felt...off...for some reason. We didn’t have an argument of anything, but it wasn’t that enjoyable either. Yesterday FI and I relaxed for most of the day. And then one of the worst things in my life happened to me. I was drinking a cup of tea, and I had one more sip left so I finished it but felt something weird so I spit it back out into the cup. I looked to see what it was...and it was a FUCKING SPIDER. I’m traumatized. I don’t think FI has ever heard me scream before. 

Clinic today. And I have to pick up the house for the cleaner on Tuesday. I’ve been toying with the idea of one day of the week vegan, another vegetarian, and a third no red meat. I think it would help me cut down on eating crap. Not that I eat super bad anyways, but I do love steak and red meat and I eat it too often. It would also help me find some good recipes for when my vegan/vegetarian friends visit. 

• omg levioosa
  • kvruns said:
    S+S not gonna lie when I read that I figured you either got stood up or he tried to pull you into the truck! Glad it worked out. I only do porch pickups for stuff because I don't have the energy to deal with meeting flaky people

BTW I was going to ask you, any diabetic friendly treat ideas? I'm pretty sure one of B's teachers is diabetic and I was going to get the other teachers a food gift (truffles in a pretty box or candy or whatever) but I'm not sure what to do for her. At first I thought sugar free something but then I was like what if I'm wrong and she isn't actually diabetic and thinks I'm weird.  

Yeah, I can see where my story had the initial hallmarks of being a bigger deal than it was, lol.  I just found his behavior so rude, ie calling to me from 10' away instead of walking up to me and then speaking to me sharply.  When I was the one exactly where I'd said I'd be (shrug).

For the teacher you think might be diabetic, but aren't sure.  You're probably better off opting for a savory treat, instead of a sweet one.  You can find sugar-free/no sugar added alternatives for sweet treats, including chocolates.  But they will say that and, if she is a diabetic, she would want to know it anyway.  But there really aren't treats that are naturally sweet, without normally having a lot of sugar in them anyway.

Maybe one of those Hickory Farms boxes.  Or fancy mustards/dips (in non-perishable bottles) with crackers.  Things like that.  Though keep an eye on the nutrition label.  Sometimes condiments/dips/sauces can have a surprising amount of sugar in them.  Not necessarily a hard and fast rule but, if sugar or a type of sugar is one of the first three ingredients, it's probably high in sugar grams in relation to it's portion size.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks S+S. I'm not 100% sold on a food item, I have gift cards already but was trying to do something else too. 
  • nope, nope, nope @ levioosa.  I'm not even really scared of spiders, but that would have me still shivering.

@kvruns- The last two years I did cabin socks for my kids' teachers.  This year I go them reusable hand warmers ($5 at Bed Bath and Beyond) to go with the gift cards.

• kvruns said:
    Thanks S+S. I'm not 100% sold on a food item, I have gift cards already but was trying to do something else too. 

kvruns said:
    S+S not gonna lie when I read that I figured you either got stood up or he tried to pull you into the truck! Glad it worked out. I only do porch pickups for stuff because I don't have the energy to deal with meeting flaky people

I think gift cards + a handwritten card from your kid is more than enough! 
  • @levioosa Oh.My.God. 

Weekend was good. We went out to dinner Friday. Saturday I ran some errands, and spent entirely too much money at Home Goods. Yesterday we had my brother's engagement party, which was so much fun. I had too much champagne, and now I pretty much just want to die. 
  • 6fsn said:

nope, nope, nope @ levioosa.  I'm not even really scared of spiders, but that would have me still shivering.

@kvruns- The last two years I did cabin socks for my kids' teachers.  This year I go them reusable hand warmers ($5 at Bed Bath and Beyond) to go with the gift cards.

Ooohhh!  I've seen the ones that aren't reusable (at least that was my impression), but that seemed wasteful.  I could use something like this right now, lol.  My office building has trouble "transitioning" between seasons and I've been chilly since I got to work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @levioosa I'm cringing/crying for you!

Weekend was fun and a modge podge.  I got my second holes repeirced in my ears because I've wanted them forever.  Went to a bowling event hosted by the woman just elected to Congress and it was fun to see everyone post election and just hang out.  Sunday, the BFF and I went to see A Star is Born.  We split a bottle of wine and a box of tissues.

This week is busy, but good!  I get to do salesy stuff which I feel I put off too often here.

H and I want to take a 4 day trip now that the election is over and before his term starts in January but the search is pain in the ass.  Hipmunk used to have a last minute deals section on their website where you could find the cheapest destinations by date, but that's not there anymore.  Cheap Caribbean has great deals, but you have to search by destination.  I'll take requests if anyone has one!
  • Happy Monday!   I cleaned off a lot of counter space over the weekend and I'm trying to continue to be on top of laundry.

Saturday is our annual friendsgiving.   So far including our household we have close to 48 coming.  That includes kids but it's 48 people.

I need to make approximately one metric fuckton of chili and two giant trays of mac and cheese.    Plus sweet potatoes, plus corn bread muffins, plus apple pie bars and pecan pie bars and store runs for cheese, crackers, chips - you know the drill. 

I love doing this every year but I flip out from stress as the date gets closer.   Thankfully today DH is off and doing leaf clean up.   I HOPE there are enough down that Friday we can devote time to actual party prep and not just cleaning up nature. 
  • @mrsmitten have you looked at Skyscanner? You can search by date.

thanks everyone for your kind words the other day, it has been a hard few days.

@banana468 that is So Many People!! I send you good nature vibes.

i made a test run of the pumpkin bars I posted in the other thread. They are ~really~ good but they have to have a million calories in them. I’ll take a big ol’ slice of regular pumpkin pie over a tiny piece of pumpkin dessert anytime.
  • Omg @levioosa I just gasped! Yikes! And @short+sassy that would annoy me too!  @CharmedPam the cake looks great. So festive.  I’ve never used fondant I’m afraid to lol.

Took the kids for their Christmas photos last night- hope we got at least one good one.  Schools are closed for Veteran’s Day today so we’re just hanging out.  
  • eileenrob said:
    Omg @levioosa I just gasped! Yikes! And @short+sassy that would annoy me too!  @CharmedPam the cake looks great. So festive.  I’ve never used fondant I’m afraid to lol.

Took the kids for their Christmas photos last night- hope we got at least one good one.  Schools are closed for Veteran’s Day today so we’re just hanging out.  

Ah ha!  THAT'S why traffic was so light this morning, lol.  I knew yesterday was Veteran's Day, but didn't make the connection that today would be the holiday.

Which is actually good to know.  One of my tenants has her rent due on the 10th (which was Sat.).  She deposits it into my bank account, so I was expecting it today.  But now I know it won't be available until Wed and won't nag her too soon, lol.  Unfortunately, she is often a "problem" with paying the rent and I need to stay on top of it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Leviosa - That is so gross.  I'm sorry that happened!

AND WHEN WILL THE GOD FORSAKEN OIL OF OLAY AD BE GONE!

Just stopping in quick.  I have to make a FedEx deadline, so I need to get started, but I'm here on TK instead!

Weekend was good.  We did not adopt the Olive from the shelter.  The two Olive's met and the shelter Olive showed teeth and also snapped at my Olive.  Then my Olive wanted nothing to do with her.  The trainer didn't like the behaviors together and having DD at the house, he didn't think it was a good fit.  I'm disappointed, but after DD, my next priority is my Olive.  I want her to relax and enjoy her senior years and not live in a high tension situation, with a dog she doesn't care for.  So we will keep an eye on the shelter website and see if anyone else comes up.  Its just so weird that the sweet dog we met Thursday night was the same one we met on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday was a marathon!  First was church, then H gave blood and I went to a house for a porch pickup.  DD fell asleep in the car on the way to pick H back up, so by the time we got home, she wanted no official nap.  The ILs came over for dinner, for BILs birthday.  So it was just cooking and cleaning as soon as we came home.  We relaxed for about 30 minutes before we had dessert.  During dessert we went from having a CTJ with MIL about her not contacting her sons during her ICU trip.  There was so much crazy in that conversation.  MIL at least acknowledged that H and BIL need to know about these things in the future and her BF said that he would call or text next time regardless what MIL says.  BF said the only reason he didn't call was because MIL said to not call - but he kept encouraging her to call the boys.  By the time everyone left at 630 it seemed like midnight! 

H is off today and doing the dishes and a few other things around the house.  We will go out to dinner somewhere tonight.

• Omggggggggggggggg levioosa! Eww! 

I'm sorry the new Olive didn't work out, OOM. :(

So, last week I mentioned that my work is adding another agent to my workload. The owner apparently told my current agent about it on Thursday. He hasn't spoken to me since and the emails he's sent me have been super short and have an odd formality to them. It appears he's not taking this well. LOL
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    Thanks @eileenrob.  It was a bit to sticky to work with for my personal taste, even after adding more powdered sugar.

@levioosa, nope nope nope! I always joke with my H that he has to eat with the lights on (except movie theaters) probably for that reason but I'll let him know that can even happen in the daylight.  I'm going to assume it wasn't in the dark.

@short+sassy, come to think of it, I can usually pay my rent the next day. I set up a payment today and it was 2 day.  I didn't even think of it...just thought, maybe it was never next day?  You're right.  Bank holiday!

@mrsmitten, don't forget that southwest flies to some tropical places too.  Sometimes a good deal.  But sometimes it's competitive with other major airlines. 

@banana468, that's a CRAZY amount of people to cook for! Do you do that plus Tgiving the next week with the family? Or is your family Tgiving more relaxed for you?

Sorry Olive didn't work out @oliveoilsmom, funny how they can react to different scenarios.  But the right dog will come along!  edit for:  Also, I agree with you DOWN WITH OIL OF OLAY AD! What do we have to do to get that thing down?

• kvruns said:
    omg levioosa
    Same. Gross. 
  • Leviosa - That is so gross.  I'm sorry that happened!

AND WHEN WILL THE GOD FORSAKEN OIL OF OLAY AD BE GONE!

Just stopping in quick.  I have to make a FedEx deadline, so I need to get started, but I'm here on TK instead!

Weekend was good.  We did not adopt the Olive from the shelter.  The two Olive's met and the shelter Olive showed teeth and also snapped at my Olive.  Then my Olive wanted nothing to do with her.  The trainer didn't like the behaviors together and having DD at the house, he didn't think it was a good fit.  I'm disappointed, but after DD, my next priority is my Olive.  I want her to relax and enjoy her senior years and not live in a high tension situation, with a dog she doesn't care for.  So we will keep an eye on the shelter website and see if anyone else comes up.  Its just so weird that the sweet dog we met Thursday night was the same one we met on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday was a marathon!  First was church, then H gave blood and I went to a house for a porch pickup.  DD fell asleep in the car on the way to pick H back up, so by the time we got home, she wanted no official nap.  The ILs came over for dinner, for BILs birthday.  So it was just cooking and cleaning as soon as we came home.  We relaxed for about 30 minutes before we had dessert.  During dessert we went from having a CTJ with MIL about her not contacting her sons during her ICU trip.  There was so much crazy in that conversation.  MIL at least acknowledged that H and BIL need to know about these things in the future and her BF said that he would call or text next time regardless what MIL says.  BF said the only reason he didn't call was because MIL said to not call - but he kept encouraging her to call the boys.  By the time everyone left at 630 it seemed like midnight! 

H is off today and doing the dishes and a few other things around the house.  We will go out to dinner somewhere tonight.

That’s such a bummer, but it sounds like the right choice not to adopt her. A pal for Olive could be great but it really doesn’t sound like a good match. 

I have today off; yay for federal banking holidays. I slept in, had coffee and breakfast while snuggling on the couch and watching tv with the cat and dog. I went shopping because I needed new perfume and moisturizer, and now I’m getting my hair cut and colored. It’s been way too long and it looks gross. 

Weekend was great; dinner out with friends last night and just relaxing around the house yesterday. 

Oh also, H wants to have a baby and said one of our rooms would make a great nursery. So I’m a little freaked out. 

• That’s such a bummer @OliveOilsMom

• Oh also, H wants to have a baby and said one of our rooms would make a great nursery. So I’m a little freaked out. 

Whhaaattt!

How are you feeling about that?  Or does the thought need to settle in a bit first?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh also, H wants to have a baby and said one of our rooms would make a great nursery. So I’m a little freaked out. 

Whhaaattt!

How are you feeling about that?  Or does the thought need to settle in a bit first?

That was exactly my face. 

He’s actually been saying things that this for a while. He definitely wants a kid. I don’t not want kids, I’ve always been on the fence. I really just worry I’d be a terrible parent (I don’t have a great relationship with my parents) and I really thought I’d be more together by the time we’d have kids. That Id be further along in my career, we’d have traveled more, be more adult than I feel. But I guess I also don’t want to wait too long. I was never a “child-free by choice person” or a “can’t wait to have kids” I’ve always been in between. 

How did you all decide??
  • All - yes, it's a ton of people and food.   Weather report is good so far and DH is doing is honey-do leaf clean up so I'm hopeful that the yard is in good shape by the time Saturday rolls around. 

@charlotte989875, for DH and me I think it was more about age than anything else.   But we were also people who knew that we wanted kids and it was just a question of when and how many - not if. 

If you wait for the perfect time to have them you just won't.   And I think it's a perfectly legitimate feeling to stress about the kind of parent you'll be.   I still do.

That said - it's not a magical formula.   It's something that you figure out together.  I can say that I would love to travel more and do want to see more of the world but for me, I love what having our kids has brought to our lives.  That was the right answer for us.