Wedding Woes

Hump Day

and I love waking up to this news story.  Love that guy!
https://wgntv.com/2018/11/14/dave-chappelle-photobombs-ohio-couples-engagement-photo-shoot/

SSDD for me.  Last night i had dinner with my friend whom I hadn't seen in awhile, which was really nice.  annoying co-worker is off which is GREAT for me. I get a full complain free day :) 

Re: Hump Day

• Yay for a complain free day Pam!

SSDD here. DH made dinner and every pot is dirty. Why?!?

my bff here got back into town after being gone for a month so she and I have a nail date tomorrow before she jets off to Paris for a week. Lucky bish ;).

Random: How did everyone like their Turkish towels??
  • edited November 2018
    @ShesSoCold do it!

@6fsn congrats on the weight. Boo to not getting the credit you deserve. That really sucks. You can’t say anything?

my bff here got back into town after being gone for a month so she and I have a nail date tomorrow before she jets off to Paris for a week. Lucky bish ;).

I loved mine! They were bigger than regular beach towels and dried super quickly. They also held up really well and still looked new after an entire week at the beach. 
  • Not much going on for me either.  I have all these little to-do tasks that I keep forgetting about.  Almost all of them only involve using the phone to pay one-off bills, setting up appointments, sending e-mails.  Ugh, that kind of annoying minutia.

But, overall, it's been a good week and next week should be even better because it is a short one.

I need to get some of those knit, fingerless gloves for my office.  It's way too cold in here.  I don't know what the HVAC magic is.  You'd think the heating would come on automatically.  But it doesn't seem like it.  Every year, it seems like someone finally decides to turn the system on.  And only then does it come on periodically.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not much here. We had bagel breakfast this morning at work and it was delicious. I’m dragging today too and need a nap. I have been getting slightly more sleep than I normally do (yay!!) but just not feeling rested. 

My sister got more, not great, news about niece. She’s strongly delayed in expressive communication (like in the 1 percentile for her age) and has other delays in the other domains. They also recommended she do the ASD and OT tests. So she’s doing all of them but she’s scared and overwhelmed. I feel so bad for her. My niece is sweet and smart and a generally happy kid. It breaks my heart she’s struggling so much. 

I forgot about that post!  I never did order them.  Boo.

Amazon list:

• Turkish towels
    • Knit, fingerless gloves

Speaking of Amazon, I saw they chose the two cities for their "split" headquarters.  Crystal City, VA (suburb of D.C./Arlington) and Long Island City (Queens borough).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats on the grant @GBCK!! That’s huge! 

And that sucks about insurance. Our healthcare system is fucked. 
  • @6fsn, congrats on the weight loss!  Considering it's been over the course of the year, has it primarily been due to lifestyle changes?  I know you've occasionally mentioned your progress, but don't remember the details.

@GBCK, congrats on the grant!  And thanks for the recommendation that I should definitely get some gloves, lol.  I'm sorry to hear about all the pain and medical issues you've been going through.  And then having to deal with insurance problems.  Why must it always be an uphill battle to pry even a dime out those companies.

@charlotte989875, I'm sorry to hear there wasn't better news for your niece.  Ts and Ps for her and your family.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats @GBCK!!
    Sorry to hear @charlotte989875.  If she can, tell your sister to try schedule your neice’s intake Evals with each discipline on separate days. It’s tougher on your sister and BIL’s schedules but your niece will be fresher if they’re not back to back.  Not easy either way  :/

Today is our first cold day...possibly snow tomorrow which would be fun.  (Any snow before Christmas is fun and magical...Jan-March snow annoys me.)  Playing phone tag with an interesting work-from-home gig but I’d love for it to work out.
  • Yay for the grant @GBCK.  Boo to the pain.  I hate insurance.  HATE.  I'm in a battle because they think Max is double insured.  By an insurance company we haven't had since July 2017.

As for the spreadsheet.  There's no real way to correct anyone.  They love me and my work so I don't feel any real need to "prove" myself.  I just still have "feelings" about an old boss stealing my work, or changing my work so it was wrong.  I had to protect sheets, bcc myself for proof, add headers and footers with passwords just so I didn't look bad. 

@short+sassy- I started beachbody workouts in January.  I know it's an MLM and I don't really care.  The On-demand workouts have been really great for my schedule.  I pretty much follow the meal plans (minus supplements and shakes) for whatever program I'm doing.  I still drink and eat out though. 

• eileenrob said:
    Congrats @GBCK!!
    Sorry to hear @charlotte989875.  If she can, tell your sister to try schedule your neice’s intake Evals with each discipline on separate days. It’s tougher on your sister and BIL’s schedules but your niece will be fresher if they’re not back to back.  Not easy either way  :/

Today is our first cold day...possibly snow tomorrow which would be fun.  (Any snow before Christmas is fun and magical...Jan-March snow annoys me.)  Playing phone tag with an interesting work-from-home gig but I’d love for it to work out.
    Thank you so much for this, I’ll let her know. My sister is a college professor and he husband has flexibility in his schedules so they probably could make it work.

And it’s been snowing off and on here since the weekend. If it’s going to be cold (it is) as least it can be pretty!
  • 6 - That weight loss is amazing!  Fuck whatever MIL tries to tell you!  As long as you are happy with yourself, that is what matters!

GBCN - That grant is amazing!  Congrats!  I also hope you can find some good pain management and insurance answers quickly!

Charlotte - Sad news about your niece, hopefully they can find the root causes and being the proper therapies to help her!

Back in the office today.  H was supposed to work late yesterday, but he forgot.  The other woman who does the late shifts didn't have anything else, so she just stayed.  So that was a few hours of time and half we missed out on, so that is a bummer.

Today H is meeting with friends after work.  He can still pick up DD, so that is a break for me!  We are starting to work on cleaning up the office, so we can put the extra bed back up before my niece and nephews stay over on Dec 1st.   So I may continue to work on that a bit once DD is in bed.

• @6fsn, yay for the weight loss.  41 pounds is great.  I love beachbody so no judging there.  I did really well with turbo jam years ago.
    @shessocold, glad your 2nd appt went well.  Makes the upcoming 9 a bit less stressful huh?
    wtg @GBCK! Sucks about insurance.  We're currently fighting with ours too.  Gotta love insurance billing. 
    @eileenrob, snow before December is wrong.  It's magical around Christmas, but not Thanksgiving.  And then yeah, January on can suck it. 

• Good vibes for your niece @charlotte989875

That’s awesome about the weight @6fsn

Congrats on the grant @GBCK. I hope you feel better and insurance stops dicking around. 

I have a final today. I’m nervous about this one. My bff is in town so hopefully we will get to see each other over the next few days. On Saturday FSIL and her FI are coming over and then we have the family Thanksgiving celebration on Sunday. I also booked my birthday trip to Vegas yesterday, complete with Muse tickets. Now I just have to decide where to eat. I’m so excited. 

• @gbck congrats on the grant! 

@charlotte989875 I'm sorry to hear about your niece - hopefully once she's doing therapy she will have marked improvement! sending you good vibes

@6fsn congrats on the weight loss! 

My dad is still in rehab and won't be able to come home for Thanksgiving. The rehab hospital apparently puts on a really nice family Thanksgiving dinner so my mom will be dining with him. I feel like I am being guilted into so many different family obligations for Thanksgiving that I just want to cancel the damn holiday altogether, but H says that's not an option. Seriously though. Can it just be November 23 already? 

We are hoping my dad will be able to come home for Christmas, but his mobility is really not improving the way everyone would like it to. He has been there for a week and a half and is only just able to sit up. And his MS is getting worse so he is now also in speech therapy. MS sucks.

Other than that, SSFSDSFD.
  • The power of the people has spoken!

I am so gleeful and amused.

For those of you familiar with Nextdoor, there will be "Sponsored" ads on there.  Yesterday, our local cable monopoly (Cox Communications) put up an ad on Nextdoor for Gigablast (whatever that is) "the internet of the future to power all your devices."  Totally new ad.  Not there before.  Posted sometime yesterday afternoon.

----

First, a poster made a snarky comment that this must be why his Internet has slowed down to a crawl over the last month, because they are trying to force us to "upgrade".  A Cox rep actually replied under his post with their phone number, offering to lend assistance looking into their speed problem.

Then I came along.  I could write a book on why I loathe and despise Cox Communications.  But I was very proud of my post.  I kept it short and succinct.  Sassy, but factual with the common complaints that are never addressed by Cox.  My starting salvo, "Oh look.  It's our local cable monopoly trying to sell us what they want us to buy instead of listening to what their customers actually want.  Like...(four sentences, each a sum up of a different, common issue)"

Closed with, "Cox Communications, stop patronizing us as if you actually care what your customers think and are making life "better" for us.  Your actions speak 1,000x louder than your lies."

----

I got a Nextdoor e-mail this morning about NOLA issuing a freeze warning for tonight...which is just so wrong, but I digress, lol...so I popped over to Nextdoor to read about the freeze warning.

And I noticed that Cox Communication ad is already GONE.  No sign of it.  Just yanked, LMAO.  I don't know if people posted after me, because there is a lot of hate for Cox on Nextdoor.  But I am so proud!  Proud of being at least partially responsible for making a giant corporation tuck their tail between their legs.  Pick up their marbles and go home.

Of course it would be nice if they actually did something about their problems instead of running away from them, as usual.  But I just can't stop laughing that they so abruptly stopped their Nextdoor ad campaign.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got a Nextdoor e-mail this morning about NOLA issuing a freeze warning for tonight...which is just so wrong, but I digress, lol...so I popped over to Nextdoor to read about the freeze warning.

And I noticed that Cox Communication ad is already GONE.  No sign of it.  Just yanked, LMAO.  I don't know if people posted after me, because there is a lot of hate for Cox on Nextdoor.  But I am so proud!  Proud of being at least partially responsible for making a giant corporation tuck their tail between their legs.  Pick up their marbles and go home.

Of course it would be nice if they actually did something about their problems instead of running away from them, as usual.  But I just can't stop laughing that they so abruptly stopped their Nextdoor ad campaign.

What can you do for us and TK here?

Alas, some dragons cannot be slain, lol.

I know from the other thread on here there are definitely some advertisers you all wish were gone, lol.  I haven't had those issues for a long time, but know what you all are talking about.  whisper: I dare not speak their names, lest they be summoned to my computer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is this day/week going terribly slow for you guys too?

Bring on the shortened week!

• Our tournament is moving fields. The grass is too wet so they’re finding turf fields to play on. The hotel was already 40 minutes from the fields. Now we have no clue!!  What are the odds we’ll be closer?  Zero. That’s the way this week is going. 
  • I know I am jumping the gun, but am already slightly panicking.

I made an appointment earlier for our cat Nip to see our vet on Friday.  From the concerns I told him over the phone, he is guessing she has Chronic Renal Failure (CRF).  I looked it up but, there is such a broad range in symptoms and outcomes, I don't have answers and need to be patient and wait until Friday.  Except of course I'm not patient and am worried.  Apparently, it's a common disease in cats, usually in their elder years.  Nip is around 14-15 years old.

On average, by the time a cat is symptomatic, they have lost about 70% of their kidney function. It's always fatal eventually, but not necessarily over a short period of time.  Nip has some of the key symptoms, but not most of them or even the worse ones.  If she indeed has CRF, I hope we have caught it early enough to manage it and buy us some more time with her.  She's not as energetic as she was even last year, but isn't lethargic either.  She doesn't appear to be in pain or discomfort, other than her back legs are sometimes unsteady, though I've heard cats and dogs will often mask it when they are. 

I think I can handle it a lot better if the vet can give us a plan of attack to make her more comfortable and slow the progression.  Give us a timeline for her life expectancy so we can ease ourselves into it.  But my worst case scenario is finding out she's dying or will need to be euthanized in the near future.

Thanks for letting me vent my worries.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy- Our cat was diagnosed with renal failure.  They put her on a special cat food and she lived another 6 years.  I did eventually have to put her down, but it wasn't even from that.
  • @short+sassy My kitty had renal failure. They first diagnosed it with blood tests a few years ago (no symptoms, just the annual). She was on a special diet for a couple of years. When she finally started showing symptoms, it was dehydration, litter problems, and being really shaky and unsteady. Sadly, we just had to put her down this week because she was in pain and her quality of life had deteriorated. But, she had at least 3 years from diagnosis, and she lived to be 19.

It's so hard when they start to get older, but veterinary science has come a long way. Even if she has kidney or renal problems, it's likely that they'll be able to treat her.
  • @short+sassy sending healing vibes to Nip (awesome name)
  • @short+sassy My kitty had renal failure. They first diagnosed it with blood tests a few years ago (no symptoms, just the annual). She was on a special diet for a couple of years. When she finally started showing symptoms, it was dehydration, litter problems, and being really shaky and unsteady. Sadly, we just had to put her down this week because she was in pain and her quality of life had deteriorated. But, she had at least 3 years from diagnosis, and she lived to be 19.

It's so hard when they start to get older, but veterinary science has come a long way. Even if she has kidney or renal problems, it's likely that they'll be able to treat her.

I'm so sorry to hear you all just had to put her down!  But sounds like she lived a good, long life.

I'd read annual check-ups are a good way to catch it early and vets will usually test for it when a cat is older than 7.  We do annual check-ups and I think the last one was in Spring.  She didn't have any symptoms then and, assuming our vet tested for it, nothing came up.  So hopefully we're catching it on the earlier side.

Thanks to you and @6fsn for sharing your stories.  And thanks @eileenrob for the healing vibes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m so sorry @short+sassy. My last cat had chronic renal failure. We did some IV fluid stuff with her. She also had special food and a medication. She was diagnosed and then lived like 8 more years and was 23 when she finally passed away. This was almost 15 years ago now and I’m sure there are more advancements. Fingers crossed for some good news. 

Im so sorry for your loss @MyNameIsNot