Wedding Woes

Tuesday. 2 Day

Not Wednesday wha? Huh?  What day??

I'm back at work after taking Friday and Monday off.   I'm also fighting another sore throat.   I loathe the inside season of germs but I look really cute in my new turtleneck sweater.   

Over the weekend one night DS walked up holding a little tiny change purse and said, "Mom?   Is this the purse that I used as a baby?"  It made me giggle for so many reasons and made me smile that I'm not forcing my kid into dumb gender roles.

Last night he told me that the first thing that he wanted on his wish list was a Barbie dream house....so he could play with the cars in the garage. 

Re: Tuesday. 2 Day

• awww your kids sound precious @banana468.  I love that she saw 'small' so it was meant for a small person. :)

We got the official email that we can leave at 2 tomorrow.  wooo hoo! Which is great because I have some pies to pick up at the bakery and then I presumed we'd get out early and my Walmart pick up is from 3-4. Then I have to go home to clean and bake my cherry no sugar added pie.  My MIL gave me a bunch of splenda when I was visiting, I'm also thinking of adding some cheesecake stuff to my list to also make a SF cheesecake.....those freeze well.

• That is so cute Banana! What a cutie!

I made a batch of Stuffin’ muffins today and they were such a flop! Idk why, neither DH or I could put our finger on it but they definitely didn’t taste like Thanksgiving. :( Anybody have any tips for tasty dressing?

My stepdad is making great progress in his recovery. Yesterday he was strapped into one of those crazy exoskeleton contraptions and was able to walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes. He doesn’t understand how incredible that is though and just wants to leave rehab as soon a possible. My mom is trying to convince him to stay as long as he is still improving, but I guess it would be really hard to be there during the holidays.
  • I’m I’m volunteering this morning. 600+ kids and we couldn’t get 15 effing volunteers. Im
    going to be up all night getting shit ready to leave tomorrow morning. 
  • I woke up this morning with one of those “maybe I am getting sick” feeling throats. I have the day off so the plan is to try to head it off and rest. I’m sure the drinking and lack of sleep this weekend didn’t help. We had FSIL and FBIL over this weekend and we did happy hour on Saturday and then a family thanksgiving celebration on Sunday. Since we met in our (well, their) old hometown we went to our favorite bar afterward and then we tried out a new brewery. Yesterday I finally got my nails done. It’s been so long. I finally feel like myself. Good vibes for everyone traveling this week!

• levioosa said:
    I woke up this morning with one of those “maybe I am getting sick” feeling throats. I have the day off so the plan is to try to head it off and rest. I’m sure the drinking and lack of sleep this weekend didn’t help. We had FSIL and FBIL over this weekend and we did happy hour on Saturday and then a family thanksgiving celebration on Sunday. Since we met in our (well, their) old hometown we went to our favorite bar afterward and then we tried out a new brewery. Yesterday I finally got my nails done. It’s been so long. I finally feel like myself. Good vibes for everyone traveling this week!
    Same and I’m really hope I can stop it with a ton of water, apples, and cold medicine. 

H and I are volunteering tonight with his company, we were both out last night with different things, and I feel like I’ve rarelt been home. We *should* get out at 3 tomorrow so I’m hoping Wegmans won’t be as crazy then and I can pick up the rest of things I need for TDay. Like a fully prepared pumpkin roll. 

I made a batch of Stuffin’ muffins today and they were such a flop! Idk why, neither DH or I could put our finger on it but they definitely didn’t taste like Thanksgiving. :( Anybody have any tips for tasty dressing?

My stepdad is making great progress in his recovery. Yesterday he was strapped into one of those crazy exoskeleton contraptions and was able to walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes. He doesn’t understand how incredible that is though and just wants to leave rehab as soon a possible. My mom is trying to convince him to stay as long as he is still improving, but I guess it would be really hard to be there during the holidays.
    I 100% just use StoveTop. So if you’re cooking from scratch I’d like double the amount of salt and add that kinda nasty chicken bouillon in a cube? I think once muffinized stuffing needs to boost. 

I 100% just use StoveTop. So if you’re cooking from scratch I’d like double the amount of salt and add that kinda nasty chicken bouillon in a cube? I think once muffinized stuffing needs to boost. 
    ^ This except I use chicken stock.

@charlotte989875 I have the opposite problem of you.  H and I go to the Lions game on T-Day and are hosting since it's just our parents, well my parents and his mom.  I said my parents can stay at the house to make sure the Turkey doesn't burn down the joint.  Which means 20 phone calls later my MIL is bringing everything except for the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (because she wanted to bring canned yams - gross), and green bean casserole (because when I offered a healthier vegetable option she said she would still bring it).

I know I should be grateful since it's less work for me to do but she takes everything over and only cooks with canned foods and I'd prefer real food and am happy to make it.  We don't need 27 dishes for 5 people.
  • I have a great stuffing recipe, but haven't made it into muffins, so I'm not sure how that would work. 
  • mrsmitten said:
    That is so cute Banana! What a cutie!

@charlotte989875 I have the opposite problem of you.  H and I go to the Lions game on T-Day and are hosting since it's just our parents, well my parents and his mom.  I said my parents can stay at the house to make sure the Turkey doesn't burn down the joint.  Which means 20 phone calls later my MIL is bringing everything except for the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (because she wanted to bring canned yams - gross), and green bean casserole (because when I offered a healthier vegetable option she said she would still bring it).

I know I should be grateful since it's less work for me to do but she takes everything over and only cooks with canned foods and I'd prefer real food and am happy to make it.  We don't need 27 dishes for 5 people.

I have to say, it makes me feel a tiny bit better that someone else feels my pain of having a MIL who does this exact thing all the time.  Seriously, if I invite you for dinner, I will make dinner.  This is something she can't understand.
  • Banana - That story is so precious!

MJL - My plan is to make the Stuffin Muffins from Allrecipes, I hope they will come out good - now you have me nervous!  One season that we always add to stuffing, whether inside or outside of the bird is Poultry seasoning.  When stuffing a bird my recipe is: cubed bread (not the crouton like pre-cut ones), enough eggs to bring a little moisture and bind it together (if a whole loaf of bread - 2 eggs usually does it), parsley, basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, fresh onions dice, and celery (optional).  I like to use potato bread the most.

I have someone interested in my armoire on the FB yardsale page, so fingers crossed it goes through!  I am also about ready to head over to the mall to pick up an online order from Crate & Barrel.  Then I'm heading to Wegmans.  I know I'm over booking my 1 hour lunch but whatever!  Work is slow!  I'm also hoping for an early dismissal tomorrow, but no emails yet!

Tonight is yoga and hopefully a pick up for the armoire!

• Casadena said:
    mrsmitten said:
    That is so cute Banana! What a cutie!

I have to say, it makes me feel a tiny bit better that someone else feels my pain of having a MIL who does this exact thing all the time.  Seriously, if I invite you for dinner, I will make dinner.  This is something she can't understand.
    I'm there with you guys. Also the cooking for 27 when 5 are coming.
  • I love cute kid stories.  <3 

Stuffing is garbage and none of it is good.  The only stuffing type thing I had is a couple years ago, Mr. Conn's uncle made this bread pudding thing with leeks or something and it was really good.  I need to get his recipe.   I do love me some canned jelly cranberry, so that negates any hard opinions that I have on holiday foods. 

DH and I are hosting Christmas and we haven't thought much about the menu, but we already have cocktails planned out and started purchasing alcohol for them.  :) 

Almost done with today and I've been a garbage employee.  So unproductive.  I cannot wait for the long weekend. 

Mom got home from TX last night.  We're going to have dinner with them Saturday.  DH and DefConn are going to the state football finals on Friday night with FIL and FIL's little brother (he started doing Big Brothers, Big Sisters late summer...which is amazing).  We're going to pick out our tree Friday morning. I'm going to have dinner with a friend on Friday night.  Sunday, I think we're going to try and get some serious decorating going for Christmas.  I can't wait.  :D  Looking forward to a busy, but productive break for all of us. 

My sister's foster stuff is going well, but she's been so open with my older sister and me about the experience.  It's got it's ups and downs, but the strides her foster child has made in the week or so they've had them is heart-warming and lovely.  
  • I generally don’t like stuffing, but I made this recipe two years ago and it was delicious. I’m going to make it again for Christmas this year. 

https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a5271/apple-walnut-stuffing-recipe-clx1114/

• My moms my moms dressing is my soul reason to love thanksgiving. Today has kicked my ass but I’m ready for the weekend- 2 loaves each pumpkin, banana and cranberry bread; 10 dozen peanut butter blossoms, 6 pounds sweet potatoes, Costco pumpkin, pecan, and white cake (those are for the in-laws), a case of beer and a flask of whiskey. I also did a Johnny marzetti for a 4th grade Friendsgiving today. 4 hours volunteering at school, 4 hrs billed for work (1 to go) 

I’ve got my response ready for when mil asks about my little job, when sil makes a comment about me having all sorts of free time, and when smil says I’m too skinny. 

The kids ate staying thursday and friday Friday night with fil and smil. I CANT WAIT. I need a moment to regroup before the holidays. 
  • edited November 2018
    the only cranberry sauce I like is from a can so I am there with ya, @6fsn

As to my flop,I think it might have been the bread I used. I used chicken stock, celery, onion, garlic, and apples with salt, pepper, thyme, and dash of cinnamon plus a couple eggs to help hold it together. I thought maybe because I didn’t have any sage or rosemary to add or I had heard of people adding a splash of OJ... but I will blame the bread. 

@climbingwife I am pretty sure, from all the different recipes I read this week, that any stuffing can be put in a muffin tin but then again, mine sucked so what do I know.

@OliveOilsMom I am sure you will have better luck than I did. I am going to try againwith a different bread to see if that helps. Do you think I need poultry seasoning if I use chicken stock? Also, be sure to press them into the tin a little. If the stuffing is too loose at the bottom they will definitely fall apart.

@levioosa that recipes sounds awesome.
  • @missJeanLouise yes you definitely need poultry seasoning even if you use chicken stock IMO. I've never heard of using OJ hmmmm.

I went shopping with a friend at the outlets. We do this every year as a pre-black Friday shopping trip. All their sales are on the week of Thanksgiving. It wasn't crowded at all and I knocked off a good portion of my list. We went to our Ecumenical church service - five different denominations get together every year to have a Thanksgiving service. I feel that this year it was particularly needed.

The menu at DD's has changed again! SIL's grandpa is doing much better - thankfully so his mother is bringing some of SIL's fave dishes. I'm just repeating," I'm not hosting" in my head and will just fix my "normal" Thanksgiving dishes another time. I think this will be the first time in my life that I won't have some kind of cranberry, sweet potato and stuffing at Thanksgiving! Oh well, I'll get to see those grand babies though and that is all that matters really!

Safe travel to all of you that are traveling!
  • @missJeanLouise yes to both chicken stock and poultry seasoning!
  • @ILoveBeachMusic what are they serving if they are having those things???
  • @ILoveBeachMusic what are they serving if they are having those things???
    Mashed potatoes and chestnut puree. Apparently they don't do/like stuffing. DD said if we really wanted the things we normally have we could fix it, but I don't think we need to have that much food for 7 people!