Wedding Woes

Diabetic desserts

My dear old dad turns 70 today and he's a type II diabetic.   I'm going to celebrate him with Chiquita and want to have a dessert for him that he can feel better about eating.  

Any recs for something that may work?

Re: Diabetic desserts

• Do you have a Whole Food near you? They should have sugar free cakes. 
  • Ha!   I live in CT's colon county as far as retail selection is concerned.   The nearest Whole Foods is an hour away.   But I'll take a look in our local places in town to see if there are any selections available.   

• I've found a large number of sugar free cheesecake recipes online. I haven't made any of them, but I do have my own recipe for a very light lemon cheesecake with minimal sugar that I successfully swapped out for sugar substitute (I used Swerve).

I also found a recipe for sugar free brownies (if you want I can try to find it - it was AWESOME) and used Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream and sugar free chocolate frosting to make an ice cream cake. Everyone loved it, not just the diabetics. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I basically love a SF cheesecake.  You can just replace any sugar in a regular cheesecake recipe with splenda or another sweetener and it still tastes good. I love The Cheesecake Factory's one.  I bought some low carb graham crust - but let me tell you, I should have looked at the ingredients first. I could have done this with almond flour...although the price of both isn't that much different:

https://www3.netrition.com/dixie_graham_cracker_pie_crust.html
    Ingredients: Pecans, almonds, soy flour, soluble vegetable fiber, flax seeds, soy lecithin, low glycemic monosaccharide, low glycemic fruit concentrate. 

• banana468 said:
    Ha!   I live in CT's colon county as far as retail selection is concerned.   The nearest Whole Foods is an hour away.   But I'll take a look in our local places in town to see if there are any selections available.   

Damn. My old company sold WF a sugar free cheesecake, and it was good. I definitely know that the CT stores bought it. 
  • And happy bday to your dad.  You're so sweet to think of him! If you're looking for pre-packaged stuff walmart (by me anyway) also has a low sugar/sugar free section on the bakery.  You could give him an individual pie from there too.

• I have Type I diabetes so I'll chime in.  Though, I don't bake and I don't like sweets.  Overall, I don't eat dessert type stuff very much.  And, when I do, it's typically a few bites of something I really like.  Whether it's high in sugar grams or not.

But I can at least give a few tips:

• Don't let the words "no sugar added" fool you.  Always check the number of sugar grams per serving.  Fruit and dairy products both have naturally occurring sugars in them.  Bananas are high in sugars.  Especially, especially fruit juices and dried fruit.  Those are insanely high in sugar grams.
    • Sugar-free Cool Whip for a topping is awesome.  It tastes good and only has 15 calories for a tablespoon.  It either has 1g or 0g of sugar, I forget which.
    • Hershey's choco syrup has a sugar-free version.  I like it, but it has a slightly bitter aftertaste. 
    • You can typically find no-sugar-added ice cream.  But vanilla is often the only choice available.  Sometimes butter pecan or chocolate, if it's a really lucky day//s.  I've never had amazing no sugar-added ice cream from a grocery store, but it tastes fine.  I think one serving usually has around 10-11g of sugar (from the dairy used).  But don't quote me on that. 
    • If you're baking something yourself, I've heard replacing sugar with Splenda comes out tasting great.  But I've never tried it.
    • I've heard no-sugar-added, no-bake cheesecakes come out especially great.  But I've never done one. 
    • The baking aisle does have no-sugar-added cake mixes and frosting.  I've occasionally done those.  I like them!  I don't think they taste much/any different from their sugar counterparts.
    • I also make my own cream cheese frosting.  I had a friend make one with just Splenda.  It tasted great!  But, admittedly, I usually make mine by just cutting the sugar in half.  Because I like my frosting tangier and cream-cheesier anyway.
    • Grocery stores typically have apple and/or cherry no-sugar-added pies available.  They will definitely have some kind of sugar grams from the fruit used, so double check that.  Generally speaking, they're okay (meh).  But I'm biased because I think anything that comes out of a grocery store bakery is marginal, at best.
    • I've never looked at Whole Foods bakery, so I can't speak about their no-sugar-added cakes.  The only NSA cakes I've seen in grocery stores are angel food.  Gross.  I can't stand angel food cake and see my above opinion about grocery store bakeries, lol.  Needless to say, I've never tried one. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Damn. My old company sold WF a sugar free cheesecake, and it was good. I definitely know that the CT stores bought it. 
    • I've never looked at Whole Foods bakery, so I can't speak about their no-sugar-added cakes.  The only NSA cakes I've seen in grocery stores are angel food.  Gross.  I can't stand angel food cake and see my above opinion about grocery store bakeries, lol.  Needless to say, I've never tried one. 
    This makes me want to check out my WF....but I know I'll come out with more than just a SF baked item.... it's called whole paycheck for a reason.

• Damn. My old company sold WF a sugar free cheesecake, and it was good. I definitely know that the CT stores bought it. 
    This makes me want to check out my WF....but I know I'll come out with more than just a SF baked item.... it's called whole paycheck for a reason.

Mine delivers to me now :).  For free.  As long as my order is over $25 and I remain an Amazon Prime member.

I love it.  So.Much.  I went from never shopping there, to luxuriating in the convenience 1-2x/month.  But, because of their higher costs on most things, I still do more than half my grocery shopping at Wal-mart, Winn Dixie, or Costco.

Pfft.  The pick-up option for Wal-mart is at least a $50 order and I still have to drive there.  And not to the one that is most convenient for me.  WF delivery totally kicks their butt.  Just not on cost of items (sigh). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Mine delivers to me now :).  For free.  As long as my order is over $25 and I remain an Amazon Prime member.

I love it.  So.Much.  I went from never shopping there, to luxuriating in the convenience 1-2x/month.  But, because of their higher costs on most things, I still do more than half my grocery shopping at Wal-mart, Winn Dixie, or Costco.

Pfft.  The pick-up option for Wal-mart is at least a $50 order and I still have to drive there.  And not to the one that is most convenient for me.  WF delivery totally kicks their butt.  Just not on cost of items (sigh). 

what? stop telling me these things!!!

what? stop telling me these things!!!

It just started a couple months ago.  Hopefully it will be rolling out to your area soon.

On my very first order, I got a pint of ice cream.  Just because I could, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker