Wedding Woes

Open enrollment- health insurance question.

At open enrollment for my husbands company I was a contract employee with no access to my company health care. My husbands insurance has a penalty if you have access to healthcare but opt out. 

My my company wants to bring me on as a part time employee. I need to verify if I have access to the insurance, but if I do I need to go back to my husbands company and tell them? Open enrollment is closed. I’d be an employee as of Jan 1

If I have to go back and either buy my company’s insurance or take the penalty for dhs I’ll need to do some negotiating. 

Re: Open enrollment- health insurance question.

• If, as a part time employee, you'll have access to health insurance, you will need to contact HR/Benefits at your DH's company.  And you'll take the penalty for declining your company's insurance.

My company also has the penalty for a spouse opting out of their employer's insurance.  My DH was eligible for his insurance but it was outrageously expensive so the penalty was definitely much cheaper for us. Last year, he dropped to less than 30 hours and was no longer eligible for insurance at his work so I made the change with my employer and no more penalty.

If you have access to insurance as a part time employee, I would definitely negotiate a wage high enough to cover the penalty you'll pay for declining the insurance.  Actually, it might be well worth your employer paying you the difference because then they don't have to pay the employer portion of your premium.

Just my .02.  I know there are other ladies on here who are on the insurance side of things.
  • Having access to health insurance through your employer on Jan. 1st would be a qualifying event that would allow you to drop off your H's policy, even though it is no longer open enrollment.

If you haven't already, double check that you would be eligible for healthcare on your first day of employment.  Some companies will make new employees wait 30, 60, or 90 days before benefits kick in.

• A question for H's HR would be if they base the penalty on a spouse's status during open enrollment.  Or at any time throughout the year, if that situation changes.
    • Questions for your HR are if you are even eligible for medical benefits.  And, if so, how much will they be.

Then, "compare and contrast" the penalty (if applicable) vs. opting for your company's healthcare (if applicable).  Or, if you're better off just staying totally contract not taking the p/t job.

I know you know all or most of that, lol.  I am just trying to help boil it down to the nitty-gritty questions you need the answers to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy has it covered and said it better than I could! I work in employer benefits and she's spot on with her advice.
  • @short+sassy has it covered and said it better than I could! I work in employer benefits and she's spot on with her advice.
    Exactly what I was going to say! 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Thanks all!  It ends up I don’t have access until I consistently work 30+ hrs anyway. I’m pretty close but not quite there.  Is I have the info for nextvyear
  • banana468 said:
    I think because your situation would be changing your H can make changes to plans because it's a qualifying event.   That's similar to adding a baby or getting married.

Tangent: I FUCKING HATE the penalty clause and think that they're bullshit.  It now costs DH and me more money for health insurance because DH and I have full time jobs and we'd pay $1300 to be on his insurance PLUS the additional cost of me on it or I can go through my company's insurance for a slightly different level of care. 

Let's not talk about the fact that this is supposed to be offered to all employees and spouses as an equal benefit and now he's essentially not getting something that his coworkers get.   Let's not talk about how he works with guys who have wives who CHOOSE to stay at home.   And theoretically they have "access to" healthcare if they wanted to buy it on an exchange.   And he also works with other people who are married to small business owners or work by contract so they technically don't have "the same access to insurance" but they bring in more money per year.   Nope.   Let's screw over employees in the name of saving money on an unequal basis.  Make it the same or nothing.   Don't penalize just the employees with spouses who have jobs. 
    AMEN. This is H's company as well and we had to take the penalty a couple of years ago because at the time my company's "choice" for health insurance was super shitty for those of us with pre-existing conditions. 
  • banana468 said:
    I think because your situation would be changing your H can make changes to plans because it's a qualifying event.   That's similar to adding a baby or getting married.

Tangent: I FUCKING HATE the penalty clause and think that they're bullshit.  It now costs DH and me more money for health insurance because DH and I have full time jobs and we'd pay $1300 to be on his insurance PLUS the additional cost of me on it or I can go through my company's insurance for a slightly different level of care. 

Let's not talk about the fact that this is supposed to be offered to all employees and spouses as an equal benefit and now he's essentially not getting something that his coworkers get.   Let's not talk about how he works with guys who have wives who CHOOSE to stay at home.   And theoretically they have "access to" healthcare if they wanted to buy it on an exchange.   And he also works with other people who are married to small business owners or work by contract so they technically don't have "the same access to insurance" but they bring in more money per year.   Nope.   Let's screw over employees in the name of saving money on an unequal basis.  Make it the same or nothing.   Don't penalize just the employees with spouses who have jobs. 
    AMEN. This is H's company as well and we had to take the penalty a couple of years ago because at the time my company's "choice" for health insurance was super shitty for those of us with pre-existing conditions. 
    I'm lucky that we are theoretically possibly not having more kids so the major benefit of his insurance is not needed for me and my insurance is good enough if I do get pregnant.

But it's something that the company is not acknowledging.   He doesn't get any financial credit for me NOT being on his insurance.  It's an alleged advertised benefit that is not equal for all employees and I call complete and total BS on that. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I'm lucky that we are theoretically possibly not having more kids so the major benefit of his insurance is not needed for me and my insurance is good enough if I do get pregnant.

But it's something that the company is not acknowledging.   He doesn't get any financial credit for me NOT being on his insurance.  It's an alleged advertised benefit that is not equal for all employees and I call complete and total BS on that. 

I agree with you all.  Though I've never had an employer who did that.  But, alas, it could be even worse.  I have worked for a couple companies where the employee had to pay for 100% of the extra monthly premium cost of having anyone else on their medical plan (spouse only or kids only or family plan) .

My friend is a SAHM.  Her H's company's offers medical plans for employees only.  She and their minor child have to get their medical coverage off the exchange.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I agree with you all.  Though I've never had an employer who did that.  But, alas, it could be even worse.  I have worked for a couple companies where the employee had to pay for 100% of the extra monthly premium cost of having anyone else on their medical plan (spouse only or kids only or family plan) .

My friend is a SAHM.  Her H's company's offers medical plans for employees only.  She and their minor child have to get their medical coverage off the exchange.

We're like that. My insurance is paid 100% but if I added H, we'd pay 100% of his premium (nearly an entire paycheck for me). It's like half the price to have him go through the marketplace for a lesser plan so that's what we do since his company doesn't offer insurance. 

Sucks, but we still save significantly because insurance, no matter who or where you are, is expensive as shit. And I appreciate that I pay nothing for my insurance, which is rare in my experience.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I miss my previous employer's insurance. I had a $12,000 deductible but paid nothing to cover both H and I. They also gave you a $2,600 HSA contribution. I pay less than $100 a month now for H and I but it's a $13,100 deductible and no HSA contribution. Thankful that we have no spousal penalty.
  • I miss my previous employer's insurance. I had a $12,000 deductible but paid nothing to cover both H and I. They also gave you a $2,600 HSA contribution. I pay less than $100 a month now for H and I but it's a $13,100 deductible and no HSA contribution. Thankful that we have no spousal penalty.
    I am officially kissing my sweet sweet $2000 deductible.  I don't even remember my catastrophic health insurance that I carried through college having such a high deductible!
  • VarunaTT said:
    I miss my previous employer's insurance. I had a $12,000 deductible but paid nothing to cover both H and I. They also gave you a $2,600 HSA contribution. I pay less than $100 a month now for H and I but it's a $13,100 deductible and no HSA contribution. Thankful that we have no spousal penalty.
    I am officially kissing my sweet sweet $2000 deductible.  I don't even remember my catastrophic health insurance that I carried through college having such a high deductible!
    $1500 here! (And a $3500 out of pocket max). 

But basically nothing besides preventative is covered pre-deductible. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    I miss my previous employer's insurance. I had a $12,000 deductible but paid nothing to cover both H and I. They also gave you a $2,600 HSA contribution. I pay less than $100 a month now for H and I but it's a $13,100 deductible and no HSA contribution. Thankful that we have no spousal penalty.
    What I wouldn't give for a $2,000 deductible. I could enroll in a richer plan, but it would cost significantly more. I'd rather put that money into the HSA. Unfortunately, H has hit the individual out of pocket maximum 2 years in a row ($6,550 and $6650) so we've still spent $12,000+ on his medical treatment, not including any premium. My HSA has taken a beating.
  • Shockers and small wins.  This year at my job, they didn't increase the employee portion nor did the deductible increase.  But it's still a crappy, high deductible plan.

My portion for employee+spouse is $137.46.  No complaints there.  Nothing is given toward HSA from my employer.  But I choose to max mine out.  Though, sadly, I use about 40-50% of that every year, anyway.  I feel some of your pain on that, @cupcait927.

Other than the handful of legally required stuff, the medical insurance pays nothing for anything until the ded. is met.  Which, in-network, is $4K/person or $8K family.  OOP limit is $6400/person or $12,800 family.

Yep, come pretty close to reaching the individual ded. each year, but don't.  So it's just always a lot of money I'm paying OOP.

Wedding Countdown Ticker