Wedding Woes

You can't make her face reality, but stop giving her money.

Dear Prudence,

Last year, my sister-in-law lost her husband to suicide, leaving her and her two sons in serious debt. They live in an expensive community, and my sister-in-law only has a part-time job. My husband and I have stepped in and spent over $20,000 to help them, from paying for the funeral to paying the mortgage so they don’t lose the house. We have had to dip into our savings. We can’t keep this up, but my sister-in-law will not see reason. Her mother has offered up her home and even arranged a job. Selling the house and moving would put my sister-in-law in a stable financial position. My sister-in-law refuses to face reality. She will not discuss the situation and tells us it is “none of our concern,” then demands we pay her bills. I understand the desire to keep her home and the boys in their schools, but that is not possible. She can’t afford this lifestyle anymore, and she will lose the house without us. My own family is facing a medical crisis over my father’s dementia. My husband and I are losing money, losing sleep, and losing our patience. What should we do?

—Something Has to Give

Re: You can't make her face reality, but stop giving her money.

• Yup, stop giving her money. 
  • Tell her you cannot pay her bills any longer but that you will pay for a (or a few) meetings with a financial planner. Maybe hearing it from a professional will make more of an impact. But beyond that, if you’re done you need to be done. 
  • Love Banana’s wording.  Agree that it’s simply time to stop giving the SIL money.  She is a grieving widow so it’s easier said than done, but especially if LW already has her own financial strains, it has to happen.
  • She won't be homeless. Let her know that it isn't your business, but you are giving her forewarning that you don't have any more money to give them. 
  • I feel for SIL, but LW and husband are veering awfully close to setting aside their own needs to pay for someone else's. If they can't afford to continue this financial support, they need to stop it as soon as possible before they endanger their own future.
  • Like everyone says, stop giving her money: "Unfortunately, it isn't possible for us to provide you any additional financial support now. I hope things get better for you and you continue to have our moral support."
  • Sounds like they've already given the SIL great advice.  Move to a lower COL area where there is a FREAKIN' F/T JOB and free place to live just waiting for her.  But it's incredible how stupid people can be, even when they are desperate and a golden opportunity presents itself.  I have seen it IRL, so many times.

I don't know if both the LW and her H work f/t.  But I sure as f**k would not be busting my ass working f/t and giving my SIL money, while she lolls around with a p/t job. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker