Wedding Woes
Options

4 friends in the world.

Dear Prudence, 

I’ve had the same close friend group since high school. We are now all in our early 20s and in different stages in our lives. My friend “Alex” and I are working, going to school, and have driver’s licenses. The other three live with their parents, are working on their art, and don’t drive. Alex and I have happily helped out with lifts and paying for the bulk of our group activities since we were 16. Over the years I’ve always had a strained relationship with “Jane.” I feel like she only has time for me when she wants something. This semester, Jane, who’s never been to college, decided that she wanted to take a class with me at the community college where I take an extra class every semester.

So, without telling me, she signed up to join my class, then assumed that I would drive her. Because of where we’re both coming from, that means I don’t get home until 11:30 p.m., but I have to be up at 3 a.m. for work. I work full time and attend two schools. I finally told her that I couldn’t drive her anymore, as I just don’t have the time, but that I would drive her for another week so she had time to arrange for another ride. She told me that I was the most selfish person she knows, which is why everyone hates me, and that I just don’t want to see her succeed. At this point I really just want to be done with Jane. I think I deserve to be treated better than this. I’ve expressed this to the rest of my friends, and they all agree that Jane has acted badly, but they still invite her to everything. The group expectation is that I continue on the way I had been, including picking her up so she can participate. I feel like my options are business as usual or walk away from all of my friends. I know that at this age it’s normal to drift away from each other, but I’m scared to be alone, and I don’t make friends easily. Do I have any other options?

—Borderline Friendless

Re: 4 friends in the world.

• Options
    I don’t know if Jane is employed or not, but maybe LW can help her get a job where she works so Jane can Uber/Lyft it to school & events and back. That’s how she can help. 

• Options
    You can stop doing favors and still be friends.  
  • Options
    The great thing about not being in high school is that you are free to develop independent relationships with friends instead of one cliquey group. 
  • Options
    Stop being a doormat for Jane. She’s not your friend and doesn’t treat you like one. 

If your other friends see this and “side” with her they’re not really your friends either. 

Good news is with attending two colleges, you’re bound to meet other people (who already have their own way to class). 
  • Options

I also don't understand why this is an "all or nothing".  Jane can throw a fit if she wants.  LW doesn't have to do unreasonable favors and, if a mutual friend actually pressures or brings it up, can just say that.

Really, though.  Sounds like it is probably a good time to cultivate other friend groups, if the LW hasn't already done that.  People who don't drive, have jobs, or go to school because they are busy "cultivating their art" are going in very different directions than the LW.  Which is not to say everyone can't stay friends and hang out occasionally, but I think the LW is going to increasingly find they have less and less in common with this friend group. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker