Wedding Woes

Friday!

What's up for the weekend?

Today started by asking Alexa what symptoms of a broken finger are.  6let took a ball or a foot to his finger.

Tonight we're picking the kids up from school, going to my ILs to drop them then coming back for DH's Christmas party.

Tomorrow we go to the ILs for Christmas with them.  It's going to suck.  The food is going to suck. MIL asked me to bring scalloped potatoes. Those travel well you know. The menu is ham, scalloped potatoes, overcooked green beans, and lime fluff.  She actually commented that this was a healthy and well rounded meal.

Sunday church and......

Re: Friday!

• Oh no, I hope it's not broken!!

My husband has been listening to me Knotting for too long. Last night I asked him if we should do a white elephant with his family for Christmas. He goes, "Is that really appropriate? You wanna come over, you gotta pay $10". LOL

I'm going to bake tonight and going downtown tomorrow. Our aunt and uncle (who we share our Bears tickets with) got my sister and I a hotel room tomorrow night. So we'll have dinner and hang out with them tomorrow and head to the game together Sunday. 

If we don't pay at home in the playoffs and H and I do move, Sunday could be my last Bears game. :( 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Yikes at that meal! 

I'm so fucking glad this week is almost over. Tonight, I'm going to the gym, and then going home and getting into bed. 

Tomorrow I've got a bunch of errands to run. 

Sunday we have the unveiling of the gravestone for my H's friend that passed away last year. 
  • Well crud, today is my friend's birthday.  We don't usually do anything and we live states away, but it's her FIFTIETH (why does that look funny spelled out?). I should probably send something but I don't have a clue.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2018
    The freaking weekend is here!! 
    6, really hope it’s not broken.  Christmas dinner aside (although I do like lime fluff), looks like a good weekend though! Fiftieth does look weird spelled out... 
    ssc, yikes.  Last bear game. Puts things in perspective doesn’t it?  It looks good for them for playoffs right? 

I had plans to do the escape room with H and my friends but his schedule got all turned around so I have NO idea what’s in store for me.  A cracked back and new nails for sure.  Last night I wrapped all the gifts I had and they’re under the tree.  Never have I been this early on Christmas shit.  Who am I even?

i came into work so excited since the complainer AND annoying coworker were out but complainer just walked in (wih a pained look on her face already).  She was just late.  Don’t give my hopes up like that!

• I'd been feeling crappy most of the week and then it hit me like a ton of bricks when I woke up on Thurs.  No way I could go to work, so I took a sick day.  I got up to go send an e-mail notifying my work of that.  Went back to bed and didn't wake up again until after 11AM!  Feeling a little better today and am at work.

But I missed the work Christmas lunch I was going to attend and was disappointed about that.  I even had my White Elephant gift already.  Which was mostly scratch off tickets.  Since I'm stuck with them now, I hope I win a JP and it turns out to be Fate intervening in my favor, lol.  In reality, I'd be thrilled just to win enough to get my money back.

I'm taking it as easy as I can this weekend, since I'm still not feeling great. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DH left last night to go to OH for the night.  He and BIL took off bright and early to go get GMIL from NC.  They'll be back late tomorrow.  

Tonight, no idea.  It's rainy and crappy.  I want to hole up on the couch and do nothing.  But I also told DefConn we'd go to the movies.  We'll see if he remembers. 

Tomorrow, cookie baking day.  (which I need to make some dough tonight) My mom offered to drive me and DefConn and my younger sister is picking me up.  That means I get to day drink with the baking. Wahoo!!  

Sunday, grocery shopping and more stuff around the house to get ready to host Christmas.  I need to get some major wrapping done.  I did one round and then bought a bunch more shit...and didn't wrap another thing.  :D  I'm also going to have to start putting stuff under the tree.  My present closet is bursting at the seams. 
  • Oh @6fsn none of that sounds fun.   Maybe you can put a salad on top of the potatoes in the transfer? 

If you have any kind of insulated bag I do find that they are really helpful for transferring hot items.   My mom has brought scalloped potatoes for an hour ride to my house and then there's minimal heating in my oven.   I know your situation is....special though. 

We are back from the North Pole!   The kids had a great time although my 8 yo is starting to act suspicious and I am hoping that we are able to get through Christmas without bursting a bubble.   I really love the magic in the kids. 

Every day I hug my kids and make sure that they hear me say "I love you" as one of the last things before I leave the daycare.   Today I can't help but want to hug them closer and give them more hugs and pray that we never experience the tragedy that occurred 6 years ago.
  • Same here @banana468...absolutely one of our country’s worst days. Must be even harder for you being so close. Did you take the Essex ride? Glad the kids enjoyed :)

H’s sisters just group-texted me asking if we could have a more traditional “Italian” Christmas Eve-type dinner next Saturday.  I have my ILs for dinner every year on the 22nd/23rd or whatever weekend day is closest to Christmas.  H and his sisters arent really close and I felt bad watching my FIL go from one house to the next dropping off presents so a few years ago suggested we all have a celebration together, purposely not on Eve or Day since they like to do their own things.  I make something special each year but I guess they see on social media that I do the seven fishes with my family on Christmas Eve?  And so they  just put in their request  :o I’m more than happy to host the full meal, it’s not a potluck I never expect them to bring anything.  But...am I wrong to feel a little %$&?!? over a request for frutti di mare, lobster tail, etc?  And my planned menu is nice!  Chicken oreganata, a fresh pappardelle or stuffed shells, shrimp cocktail ring...like not @6fsn MIL’s food lol.  Should I meet them halfway and include  a lobster ravioli in pink sauce or maybe a linguine fra diavolo or white clam sauce?  WDYD when guests request specific dishes?
  • eileenrob said:
    Same here @banana468...absolutely one of our country’s worst days. Must be even harder for you being so close. Did you take the Essex ride? Glad the kids enjoyed :)

H’s sisters just group-texted me asking if we could have a more traditional “Italian” Christmas Eve-type dinner next Saturday.  I have my ILs for dinner every year on the 22nd/23rd or whatever weekend day is closest to Christmas.  H and his sisters arent really close and I felt bad watching my FIL go from one house to the next dropping off presents so a few years ago suggested we all have a celebration together, purposely not on Eve or Day since they like to do their own things.  I make something special each year but I guess they see on social media that I do the seven fishes with my family on Christmas Eve?  And so they  just put in their request  :o I’m more than happy to host the full meal, it’s not a potluck I never expect them to bring anything.  But...am I wrong to feel a little %$&?!? over a request for frutti di mare, lobster tail, etc?  And my planned menu is nice!  Chicken oreganata, a fresh pappardelle or stuffed shells, shrimp cocktail ring...like not @6fsn MIL’s food lol.  Should I meet them halfway and include  a lobster ravioli in pink sauce or maybe a linguine fra diavolo or white clam sauce?  WDYD when guests request specific dishes?
    Nope! 

If they want specific dishes dishes they can host. SorryNotSorry but that’s like next weekend. I would not be fronting even more money than I planned because they saw pictures of something they’d like better. 
  • banana468 said:
    Oh @6fsn none of that sounds fun.   Maybe you can put a salad on top of the potatoes in the transfer? 

If you have any kind of insulated bag I do find that they are really helpful for transferring hot items.   My mom has brought scalloped potatoes for an hour ride to my house and then there's minimal heating in my oven.   I know your situation is....special though. 

We are back from the North Pole!   The kids had a great time although my 8 yo is starting to act suspicious and I am hoping that we are able to get through Christmas without bursting a bubble.   I really love the magic in the kids. 

Every day I hug my kids and make sure that they hear me say "I love you" as one of the last things before I leave the daycare.   Today I can't help but want to hug them closer and give them more hugs and pray that we never experience the tragedy that occurred 6 years ago.
    Oh jeez.  Apparently the kids were sent home due to a bomb threat at Sandy Hook today.

Sick.  Sick.  Sick.

• banana468 said:
    Oh @6fsn none of that sounds fun.   Maybe you can put a salad on top of the potatoes in the transfer? 

Oh jeez.  Apparently the kids were sent home due to a bomb threat at Sandy Hook today.

Sick.  Sick.  Sick.
    OMG, that's fucked up.  Sadly not shocking, which makes me squeamish. 

There was a bomb threat against a few schools in my sister's district today, so there's cops at all the schools.   A week until Christmas break and it seems like for-ev-er to her right now.  :( 
  • 6 - I hope the finger isn't broken!  As for your friend, does she live near a major city?  If you have prime, you can send her a same day delivery gift basket.

Eileen - I would be a bit put out by that request.  Fish adds up quickly!  We are not Italian, but still do the 7 fishes every year.  I now host it at my house, we don't do the traditional fishes, just make sure we have 7! LOL!  But everyone who attends that dinner, pitches in on the cost of the fish and cooking it all (we fry about half of it).  I think your idea of lobster ravioli is a good one!

I have a half day today and leave in about 45 minutes.  Can't wait!  I need to do a deep clean on the kitchen set I got DD for Christmas.  Then I will pick her up early from daycare and take her for a hair cut.  I think after we will hit up the Amish mart too.   I also have a craft project to do with DD, it will be a hand print picture frame thing for the grandmas.  I will see if we can get that done today too.

Sometime this weekend, I will take her for a Santa visit.  Not sure how that will go.  She seems interested in him, knows his name and what he says.  But seeing the big guy in person can be a much different experience!  We will also do church this weekend and probably a few projects around the house too.

This week, H had something big going on at work.  So I took DD all week to daycare.  She was such a crying mess most of the week.  Today was the best drop off, she gave me a smile and a wave!  It made up for the crying in the car all the other days! 

• Whoa @eileenrob can you enlist help or start to talk about what is feasible?  I think it takes balls to ask the hosts to be like a restaurant. 

They evacuated Sandy Hook for a bomb threat and sent the kids home.   I cannot fucking imagine what anyone in that town is feeling right now.  I know people with kids in that school and know people who were personally affected by this years ago (including a first responder).    I know they think that this isn't a credible threat but this is such a sad sign that anyone even CONSIDERS doing this.

Also, YES @eileenrob we were on the Essex train.  We go every year and love it!

• eileenrob said:
    Same here @banana468...absolutely one of our country’s worst days. Must be even harder for you being so close. Did you take the Essex ride? Glad the kids enjoyed :)

If it isn't too much/too many people, I'd offer an invite to them for Christmas Eve if they want to experience an Italian "7 fishes" feast.  If they typically have other things/plans on the Eve and can't make it, then I think it's a good compromise to have 1 main course similar to that.  But no need to go whole hog.  The entrees you mentioned for their dinner sound great.  I'm about to invite myself over, lmao.

But, yeah, that sounds completely crazy to do a whole bunch of work on the 22nd/23rd for them.  Only to do the same thing again 1-2 days later.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2018
    banana468 said:

Sick.  Sick.  Sick.
    What in the actual fuck is wrong with people? Ugh. Like, what happened to you that you think this might be amusing? Disgusting. 

ETA - I mean general you, not you, Pam. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 6fsn said:
    Well crud, today is my friend's birthday.  We don't usually do anything and we live states away, but it's her FIFTIETH (why does that look funny spelled out?). I should probably send something but I don't have a clue.
    Flowers! And you’re probably early enough to get same day delivery. 
  • Thanks guys.  On the actual 24th it’s a group effort (always has been).  One sister brings Branzino, another sole, my parents handle the lobster tails, etc.  I typically do two of the dishes I mentioned above plus cioppino.  I told my SILs this when I responded a little while ago, what I contribute plus what others do, and asked if they wanted to go this route instead of the menu I was planning.  Waiting on a response.  We’re not super close so I wasn’t sure it’d be crass to make it about money but it’s a stretch financially to buy seven fish for 15 people.  Didn’t mention that but it’s a big factor.

Wow I can’t believe there was a bomb threat in Sandy Hook. Disgusting and terrible.  Those poor families. 
    Nice @banana468- we go on a Polar Express ride in Whippany, NJ, it’s a bit closer than Essex but I’ve heard fantastic things about Essex’s ride 
  • edited December 2018
    This week has straight up kicked my ass. We’ve been super busy at work and I’m still behind. So so ready for the weekend. 
  • DH's stepgrandma asked for amazon links for the kids and ordered everything I sent her and then asked me to send her ideas for myself.  It took me three days to come up with something to send her and I'm still like, "you don't have to do this." 

I do hope she gets me the electric wine-opener and sweet stainless steel wine glasses I sent links for, though.  :D 
  • @eileenrob I’m also Italian and that 7 fishes meal is a ton of work to make. I like @short+sassy’s suggestion of offering them an invite on Christmas Eve though. 

@short+sassy I hope you feel better!

@6fsn I hope 6let’s finger is okay!

FI’s work Christmas party is tonight. I’ve gotten my nails done and now I’m waiting to get my hair done. I can do makeup decently well but man, for the life of me I cannot figure out hair. I’m over stressing about it for events so I decided to get it professionally done. 

I’m starting to get anxious about the Christmas dinner I’m doing next weekend. I don’t know why. I actually sat down and figured out that I can do a ton of the prep the day before. Maybe it was going to Whole Foods yesterday. Although I did buy all of the cheese. And it was delicious.