Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Dress and Veil

I had a horrible experience shopping for my wedding dress. The dress and veil I ordered came in and it looks wrong. The color is wrong and it looks used and old. Neither had any types of tags or anything. Do wedding dresses and veils normally come with tags?

Re: Wedding Dress and Veil

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2018
    I had a horrible experience shopping for my wedding dress. The dress and veil I ordered came in and it looks wrong. The color is wrong and it looks used and old. Neither had any types of tags or anything. Do wedding dresses and veils normally come with tags?

Where did you get it from?
  • I had a horrible experience shopping for my wedding dress. The dress and veil I ordered came in and it looks wrong. The color is wrong and it looks used and old. Neither had any types of tags or anything. Do wedding dresses and veils normally come with tags?

I got it from a bridal salon and the designer is Casablanca. I'm thinking the bridal salon never ordered it because they refuse to show us any confirmation that they ordered it. 
  • I would push back that you will not accept them unless you can see the order confirmation and if you are not satisfied, you will follow up with Casablanca directly about their product. Ask to speak with a Manager or Owner. Most things should come looking pristine unless the colour is something off. If the colour is not what you ordered, then you certainly shouldn't accept it. 

• ernursej said:
    I would push back that you will not accept them unless you can see the order confirmation and if you are not satisfied, you will follow up with Casablanca directly about their product. Ask to speak with a Manager or Owner. Most things should come looking pristine unless the colour is something off. If the colour is not what you ordered, then you certainly shouldn't accept it. 

We spoke with the manager and he said it's our dress and to take it or they will keep it and our money. I just can't believe it didn't come with any tags. I thought new dresses always came with tags.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2018

And what does your paper work/receipt say?  Is this a privately owned boutique or a chain?

ETA.....wait a minute......has there been ONE piece of your wedding that has been without drama?  I am seeing more than a pattern/theme here.  Sometimes, a person needs to take a long, hard, objective look and think......is it them, or me?

• MobKaz said:

And what does your paper work/receipt say?  Is this a privately owned boutique or a chain?

ETA.....wait a minute......has there been ONE piece of your wedding that has been without drama?  I am seeing more than a pattern/theme here.  Sometimes, a person needs to take a long, hard, objective look and think......is it them, or me?

It is privately owned. My paperwork says no refunds, but they insist it is the right dress, but there are no tags to actually confirm this nor a confirmation that the dress was ordered. 
  • And when I asked them to show me the dress she just pointed to a bag hanging up and then stood at her computer. When I asked her questions she kept telling me to speak to the manager. I asked her why she never called me to confirm when the dress was even supposed to arrive and her answer was that was none of her business. Yet she is the one that said she was going to call me to let me know when the dress would be in by and she never did so I have no clue how that's none of her business.
  • MobKaz said:

It is privately owned. My paperwork says no refunds, but they insist it is the right dress, but there are no tags to actually confirm this nor a confirmation that the dress was ordered. 
    Zero refunds is a red flag, particularly for a privately owned business.  Do you have any pictures of yourself when trying on the dress?  Do you have a picture and description of the dress from the manufacturer?  Does the dress have an interior tag that details the fabric content and/or other identifying information?  If it does not, then your only recourse is to write to the designer of the dress.  Let them know that there is a chance THEIR LABEL is being promoted in a fraudulent (and and substandard) way.  Perhaps they can intervene with the shop if they indeed sell to this boutique.
  • I would follow @MobKaz's advice to contact the designer. If you have been defrauded in any way, then you should take it up with your credit card company. But yeah, NO REFUNDS is a massive, capital letter, all in red, red flag. Never buy something that expensive without recourse.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    edited December 2018
    Can you compare the dress with the one you tried on? What specifically makes you feel like it is old and used? If you point to specific examples saying: there is a stain here, here and here, there is a tear here. What is the shop’s response to that? Also try to take some photos if you can. You need specifics.

Also, colours vary wildly in light so can you compare to the original swatch.  

Don’t waste time on intangible things like not being called, you need specific and dispassionate examples that the product you purchased is wrong if you are going to dispute this with your credit card. 

• I ordered a Casablanca from a salon, and it did come with the tags on. Ditto contacting the designer directly. 
  • FTC law is on your side on this one (under the "Textile and Wool Acts" - if link not allowed, please remove https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/threading-your-way-through-labeling-requirements-under-textile#covered ), the dress MUST have a label in it detailing the designer, fiber content, and country of origin...  If the dress does not have the manufacturer's label, then you may have options and I'd venture to say I'd want the designer brought in because they carry a little more weight legally because how do you know it's not "Cheap knockoff from overseas" or the display vs. the real deal new from the designer.  Veils often do not have a label on them or one that is easily removed.  If your receipt says "Boogie Woogies Bridal Gown Style #1234", Veil new in package, and they hand you a dress with the labels removed and a veil that looks like it's been on 80 heads, that is not what you ordered, you ordered a NEW dress/veil with tags on, not something off the rack at a clearance markdown as-is.  This is where you must have your ducks in order because you also need to be ready to dispute it with your Credit Card Company, file proper reports within legal options, etc.  
  • We just spoke with the designer of the dress and the company never ordered the dress from them. They looked under my name and the company's account number and no order was ever placed. The designer said we would have to take it up with the company. The credit card company is also saying there is nothing they can do because all sales are final. 
  • We just spoke with the designer of the dress and the company never ordered the dress from them. They looked under my name and the company's account number and no order was ever placed. The designer said we would have to take it up with the company. The credit card company is also saying there is nothing they can do because all sales are final. 
    That's awful. Although, your credit card company is wrong. If you ordered a new dress and they didn't give you a new dress, that is fraud. Flag it as a fraudulent purchase. Just because the store has a no final sales policy, your credit card protects you against a fraudulent purchase. Is there another factor here? Did you purchase it with a debit card, not credit card? Did you buy a sample? What does your documentation say? I feel like there must be more to this story. 
    That's awful. Although, your credit card company is wrong. If you ordered a new dress and they didn't give you a new dress, that is fraud. Flag it as a fraudulent purchase. Just because the store has a no final sales policy, your credit card protects you against a fraudulent purchase. Is there another factor here? Did you purchase it with a debit card, not credit card? Did you buy a sample? What does your documentation say? I feel like there must be more to this story. 
    The terms of the contract we signed are as follows:

1. I understand all sales are final.
    2. I understand the company's policy of no cancellation, refunds, or returns.
    3. I understand all special orders, layaway and formal wears require a down payment of 75% of the total amount due and if cancelled by me the down payment is nonrefundable. 
    4. I understand if wedding is postponed or cancelled, money deposited will not be refunded.
    5. I under all monies deposited on pending orders will not be refunded under any circumstances.
    6. I understand that I am responsible for paying the balance due, one week after the notification of the arrival of my order.
    7. I understand that if after one month of the arrival of my order, the balance due is not paid in full, all monies and merchandise will become property of Venus Bridal Collection.
    8. I understand that all alternations are an additional charge.
    9. I understand that all accounts must be paid in full prior to first fitting.
    10. I understand that Venus Bridal is not responsible for any purchases once it leaves the store.
    11. I understand no checks accepted at the time of pick up.
    12. This contract is without recourse. 

It was purchased by my mother on her credit card. Within about 5 hours of buying the dress, I realized I didn't want the dress anymore and my mother called the store the following day as soon as they opened and they were not going to order the dress, but said we had to talk further with the manager if we wanted our money back. The manager was never there when we called nor would return our calls. I received an email from them a week ago letting me know the dress was in and to come pick it up. My mother, grandmother, and I went to the shop to get the dress. Both of them were with me when I tried on the dress. When we went into the store the saleswoman immediately asked me to sign something with telling me what she wanted me to sign and without looking at a dress. Instead I told her I wanted to see the dress first. She proceeded to point to the dress hanging up and then stand at her desk while we went over to look at the dress. We looked at the dress and did not see any tags. The dress also appeared old and used. We asked the saleswoman about these problems and she told us to talk to the manager the next day. So my mother called the next day and for once the manager was there. He was extremely rude to my mother and said we could come get the dress or leave it there and they will keep it. My mother spoke with the credit card company and they said we signed a contract and to discuss it with the manager of the store. Since the manager told my mother he wouldn't speak to her again unless it was in court, we reached out to the designer. The designer checked their records to see when the dress was ordered and found no record of the dress ever being ordered. They checked under my name since it was my dress and under the shop's account number and no record of anything. The designer said the just must have already been in the shop when we purchased it because they did not place an order for the dress. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    edited December 2018
    We just spoke with the designer of the dress and the company never ordered the dress from them. They looked under my name and the company's account number and no order was ever placed. The designer said we would have to take it up with the company. The credit card company is also saying there is nothing they can do because all sales are final. 
    The terms of the contract we signed are as follows:

1. I understand all sales are final.
    2. I understand the company's policy of no cancellation, refunds, or returns.
    3. I understand all special orders, layaway and formal wears require a down payment of 75% of the total amount due and if cancelled by me the down payment is nonrefundable. 
    4. I understand if wedding is postponed or cancelled, money deposited will not be refunded.
    5. I under all monies deposited on pending orders will not be refunded under any circumstances.
    6. I understand that I am responsible for paying the balance due, one week after the notification of the arrival of my order.
    7. I understand that if after one month of the arrival of my order, the balance due is not paid in full, all monies and merchandise will become property of Venus Bridal Collection.
    8. I understand that all alternations are an additional charge.
    9. I understand that all accounts must be paid in full prior to first fitting.
    10. I understand that Venus Bridal is not responsible for any purchases once it leaves the store.
    11. I understand no checks accepted at the time of pick up.
    12. This contract is without recourse. 

It was purchased by my mother on her credit card. Within about 5 hours of buying the dress, I realized I didn't want the dress anymore and my mother called the store the following day as soon as they opened and they were not going to order the dress, but said we had to talk further with the manager if we wanted our money back. The manager was never there when we called nor would return our calls. I received an email from them a week ago letting me know the dress was in and to come pick it up. My mother, grandmother, and I went to the shop to get the dress. Both of them were with me when I tried on the dress. When we went into the store the saleswoman immediately asked me to sign something with telling me what she wanted me to sign and without looking at a dress. Instead I told her I wanted to see the dress first. She proceeded to point to the dress hanging up and then stand at her desk while we went over to look at the dress. We looked at the dress and did not see any tags. The dress also appeared old and used. We asked the saleswoman about these problems and she told us to talk to the manager the next day. So my mother called the next day and for once the manager was there. He was extremely rude to my mother and said we could come get the dress or leave it there and they will keep it. My mother spoke with the credit card company and they said we signed a contract and to discuss it with the manager of the store. Since the manager told my mother he wouldn't speak to her again unless it was in court, we reached out to the designer. The designer checked their records to see when the dress was ordered and found no record of the dress ever being ordered. They checked under my name since it was my dress and under the shop's account number and no record of anything. The designer said the just must have already been in the shop when we purchased it because they did not place an order for the dress. 
    Ok, your credit card company is wrong. If you had a contract to purchase a new dress and they don't deliver a new dress, that is a fraudulent purchase. What documentation do you have saying that you purchased a new dress with them? Just flag it as a fraudulent purchase with your credit card company. Don't get into the terms of your contract with them, the phone calls, the rudeness. Just say "I would like to report a fraudulent charge: I purchased X new dress, here is my receipt for the new dress, and this company did not deliver X dress." Your contract was for a new dress, if they didn't deliver a new dress, its a fraudulent purchase. 

Have your mum file a dispute with the credit card company. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clairetsosie/2017/03/16/when-you-should-and-shouldnt-dispute-a-credit-card-purchase/#6d172b212e39
  • I would not only dispute it with the Credit Card Company, I would file a police report for fraud if no one else is going to help you, but also under the Textiles act...  You ordered a NEW dress, they did not deliver a NEW dress, that's fraud, file a police report in-store if you have to...  Chances are they'll either get you the new dress or your Credit Card will back you because there is a police report...