Wedding Woes

Leave it to the meeting leader

My team at work primarily consists of strong women I really look up to. A couple of months ago, a man in his 50s joined our team, although we don’t work with him on a daily basis. When we do have larger team meetings, he usually interrupts my boss to explain something that she not only has already mentioned but probably knows more about than he does! His tone is usually very brusque, and these moments tend to feel awkward, especially as he’s long-winded. I’m not sure what to do. He’s otherwise polite, but I don’t like seeing my boss (or anyone for that matter) interrupted when she’s the expert on the subject being discussed. Should I speak to her about it and see if she’s noticed? He doesn’t report to her. Bring it up to him? I’m in my late 20s, so I’m not sure how well that would go. Or just ignore it?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Leave it to the meeting leader

• I don't think LW should talk to the guy directly, or mention it to her boss. I do think when this jackhole is done mansplaining she should ignore him and say something like, "Boss made some great points about x, y, z. I think...etc" 

• If she's in charge she's noticing.  
  • levioosa said:
    I don't think LW should talk to the guy directly, or mention it to her boss. I do think when this jackhole is done mansplaining she should ignore him and say something like, "Boss made some great points about x, y, z. I think...etc" 

I agree, I don't think it's this employee's place to say something to the new person.  That's for the boss and/or meeting leader to do with the guy, privately, if they think he is being disruptive to the meeting.

I also wouldn't necessarily assume this is a gender thing.  It might be.  But most offices I've worked in have a few people like this.  I've usually just found this to be their personality and they treat everyone like this.  Doesn't matter what gender or "level" of the company the other person is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Poor LW, welcome to the patriachy.  I suggest she buy herself this coffee mug and bring it to the next meeting, but then again, I'm evil.  

• mrsmitten said:
    Poor LW, welcome to the patriachy.  I suggest she buy herself this coffee mug and bring it to the next meeting, but then again, I'm evil.  

Want!
  • levioosa said:
    I don't think LW should talk to the guy directly, or mention it to her boss. I do think when this jackhole is done mansplaining she should ignore him and say something like, "Boss made some great points about x, y, z. I think...etc" 

I agree, I don't think it's this employee's place to say something to the new person.  That's for the boss and/or meeting leader to do with the guy, privately, if they think he is being disruptive to the meeting.

I also wouldn't necessarily assume this is a gender thing.  It might be.  But most offices I've worked in have a few people like this.  I've usually just found this to be their personality and they treat everyone like this.  Doesn't matter what gender or "level" of the company the other person is.

This...  Even NPO's I'm involved in are like this...  Annual meeting will be going along great and get taken over by these personality types, annoying AF!