Wedding Woes

When did you start wearing makeup?

I'm trying to decide if I am being judgey or SUPER judgey.  My neighbor is letting her 10 yo wear mascara and lipstick daily.  It seems so young, but maybe I was just late wearing it.  I was 8th grade before I could wearing stuff on a special occasion.

Re: When did you start wearing makeup?

• I think I started in 6th grade. I was definitely wearing a full face daily by 7th grade. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I actually don’t know when I did.  I do know I developed a huge addiction to it when I did.  All my money went to shoppers drug mart, on maybeline eyeshadow.  All.  I would guess 13 or 14?  I should ask my bff how old we were since we developed the addiction together. 

• I got to experiment with makeup in grade school, like 5th or 6th grade. I developed really oily skin and bad acne very young (grade 2) and started with foundation and powder.  I definitely had lipstick and eye shadow for special occassions too. I didn't wear them daily, but that was more my tom boy attitude than not being allowed.
  • Middle school - maybe 7th grade??  
  • I didn't start wearing makeup until 8th grade, and I believe at that time, it was only eyeliner. 
  • I haven't yet, lmao.

But seriously, I think 10 is really young also.  I remember it being 6th grade when a few girls started wearing minor stuff, like light colored lipsticks.  And jr. high (7th and 8th) when my friends really started experimenting with make-up.  Or maybe that was just when our parents allowed us to.

I think 12 was the age when I could start wearing lipstick.  There was probably a minimum age for other types of make-up, but it never came up.  By the time I had any kind of interest, I was 15 or 16.  I wore lipstick everyday, but still only wore blush and eye make-up every once in awhile.  I've never worn foundation on a regular basis.  Nowadays, I wear lipstick/mascara a few times a month and other make-up products a few times a year.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was 12-13 and in 7th grade. Started with eye shadow. By high school it was blush, mascara and foundation.
  • I got to experiment with makeup in grade school, like 5th or 6th grade. I developed really oily skin and bad acne very young (grade 2) and started with foundation and powder.  I definitely had lipstick and eye shadow for special occassions too. I didn't wear them daily, but that was more my tom boy attitude than not being allowed.
    I was similar to this. My acne and horribly oily skin started around 5th grade, so I think I was allowed to wear makeup earlier than my mom would have liked to help with my insecurities. She was awesome about it too, took me to Clinique to get the good makeup and a dermatologist and everything. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2019
    I think I was allowed light makeup in the 5th grade.  A lipgloss and mascara.  I know I was in NM at the time and junior high started in the 6h grade (which I think is more common now than when I was in school) and there were definitely girls with full faces of makeup at that time.  When I moved in with my grandmother (7th grade), I don't really remember her telling me no to what I wanted, but we had to go someplace for me to learn to put it on.  Most of high school was just a lip gloss, mascara and blush for me.

I wouldn't be judgey.  Makeup doesn't equal anything except makeup if you don't let it.  It needs to stop being so heavily policed and attached to being gay or whorish.
  • lipgloss and mascara in 7th grade, eye shadow if it was a special occasion.  By 9th grade it was whatever I wanted.  I think 10 is way too young.

I definitely went through phases - sophomore year was a lot of eye liner and dark eye shadow, other years it was nothing but mascara.  Even now, I'm usually a mascara only girl. 

• 6th or 7th grade?  
  • I think my mom let me wear makeup for special occasions starting in 5th grade. I wasn’t really allowed to wear makeup in high school. I think I started in sophomore year? She also took me to a dermatologist since I had acne. I wore foundation, blush, mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow. Although I have to say my makeup game at that time is nowhere near the makeup game 12 year olds have now. 

• 35?

I allow special occasion makeup even now, but I've put the kabosh on things that are not 'natural' or glitter.
    she's bummed about me not letting her wear red lipstick like I sometimes do, and I've used the ever-unpopular 'sweetie, you're 8.  I want people to treat you like you're 8.  Not like you're 14'.  (she says she doesn't quite understand, and I say she unfortunately will at 14.  I told her she doesn't have to get it, but it is the rule for now)

I find it's a weird place to be with 'NO, of course you can't wear the makeup I do, because you're a kid and not allowed to....wear stuff that you think makes you look pretty'
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2019
    I started wearing makeup when I was 14 or so. I've never worn it every single day and I still do less with my makeup than a lot of people.
  • I got some little-kid makeup to experiment with when I was about 9-10 but wasn’t allowed to wear it out of the house. I started wearing it out of the house when I was about 13-14. I had almost no guidance on how to apply it, though, since my mom and my Oma rarely wore more than eyebrow pencil, powder, and lipstick. I learned everything out of magazines.
  • 12, when I started grade 7 (Junior High).  My Mom let me wear mascara, blush and lip gloss and took me out to buy some.  But I soon then started spending my allowance on trying new stuff - foundation, eyeshadow.  But I wasn't very good at it, and hated spending money on stuff when I wasn't sure if it would work for me colour wise so I didn't get very far.  I wear mascara, and concealer if needed now unless it's something special

• VarunaTT said:
    I think I was allowed light makeup in the 5th grade.  A lipgloss and mascara.  I know I was in NM at the time and junior high started in the 6h grade (which I think is more common now than when I was in school) and there were definitely girls with full faces of makeup at that time.  When I moved in with my grandmother (7th grade), I don't really remember her telling me no to what I wanted, but we had to go someplace for me to learn to put it on.  Most of high school was just a lip gloss, mascara and blush for me.

I wouldn't be judgey.  Makeup doesn't equal anything except makeup if you don't let it.  It needs to stop being so heavily policed and attached to being gay or whorish.
    Super agree with this. 
  • 6th grade with basics then foundation around 8th when I was doing some stage events.  

DD is in 8th grade and after having had some on for a photo shoot she liked the look but went "wouldn't want to wear this stuff daily!"...  All dependent on the individual, but yea, that 6-8th grade split IMO...
  • My daughter started wearing makeup when she started middle school. The first couple of days, she took forever putting on the lip gloss and a bit of mascara, but when she realized that the bus came at 6:40 a.m., she quickly decided that sleep was waaay more important than makeup.

After that, she wore it when she had time and for special occasions. Our one rule was that she had to learn to apply it tastefully.