Wedding Woes

Poll: eating out

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2019 in Wedding Woes
I was talking with my coworker at lunch the other day and we were talking about how many times we go out to eat.  I said 1 or 2 times a week.  She seemed shocked.  Said it was a lot.  She went out once a month if that.  I didn’t think 1 or 2 x on an average week was a lot?!?

How many times do you go out to eat or have something delivered or pick up?  Basically anything not involved warming something up/cooking at home?
eta: my 1/2 x a week does NOT include work lunches btw

Re: Poll: eating out

• We are probably 1-2 a week also, mostly just picking up something quick. Used to be almost never but now we're lazy. At times it crept to 3-4 meals, with most being on the weekend. When I was on my own it was probably 1-2 times a month
  • We’re 1-2/week, all on the weekends. We rarely eat out/take out during the week but get a little lazy on the weekends. 
  • We're probably 1-2 times a month-ers. I'm pretty cheap and I like to cook.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I try to keep it at 3 times a month, maybe 4.  We spent 2 weekends in hotels this month so that makes it tough.  We try to always get a room with a refrigerator so I can pack food.
  • Last semester was so bad. It was probably around 5-6 meals a week. I was floating doordash on my own. Lol. This year I’m trying to be much better, and limit my door dash to once a week. And once eating out. 1-2 times used to be a “crazy amount” for FI. He used to never eat out until we started dating. I like to cook too, but a lot of times I’m just so tired I can’t do it. 

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2019
    As a family, we try to eat out  (or take out/delivery) no more than once or twice a month.  Some months we're better than others. 

I order lunch or eat lunch while running an errand about once a month. 

DH will eat out on average once or twice a week.  Again, some weeks are better than others. 

Both DH and I eat leftovers as much as possible for lunches and I cook almost every night.  If leftovers pile up, I plan a leftover night in the menu. 

My friend and her H work downtown within blocks of each other and they eat lunch out together every day.  But they have 5 kids together and rarely take the whole family out.  However, I still wonder how much $$ they spend per week on groceries and eating out. 
  • I go anywhere from 1-2 to 5-6; depends on the week, weather, how I feel, if I'm dieting.  
  • At least once a week. A lot of times by Friday, neither of us feels like cooking. 

I don't ever go out to eat lunch and I always bring food with me. But that's more for health/diet reasons. 
  • We'll go out to dinner once a week and then usually get lunch out once on the weekends. We do need to reign it in a bit because we spend so much when we go out. I like to cook, and I do meal planning for dinners, but some nights I just don't want to cook. H can practically sense when I'm feeling like not cooking and will suggest going out before I even have to say anything. 
  • Yeah I mean there’s times when I open the fridge to cook and everything stares back at me and I’m like “I don’t wanna put things together!!!! Let’s have a chef put things together”.

the convo all started when we were talking about growing up and how no one went out to eat when they lived at home.  We did.  Probably the same amount too. 1-2 times a week.  My mom is a great cook and loved it but that doesn’t mean we didn’t deserve an outing here and there.

• Growing up we almost never went out, definitely not a sit down type place. Occasional fast food but that was it until I was in HS. My parents eat out a lot now in retirement. They always say they don't but they're "grabbing a sandwich" all the time, always makes me laugh a bit
  • banana468 said:
    Does you coworker also have young kids?  When we had DD we didn't do a lot of going out simply because I had a fear that taking her would mean I had to parent in a parking lot while DH ate.  As they get older we have more flexibility with places.

We're at 1-2 times/week now with one solid stop being Dunkin after Sunday mass. That's two coffees, two B,E,&C wake up wraps and two donuts so the net bill is under $12 and it rewards them for good behavior. 

There's often some kind of take out pizza or Chinese in the mix as well.   Aside from that I couldn't tell you the last time that DH and I went out to a restaurant and ate inside with kids - it's been months.   For DH and me the last time we had a meal out was the night we saw Hamilton after Christmas.

Side note: am I the only one relieved that this didn't have to do with oral sex? 
    Oh, do you want one?  Because I do have a question about that....

no, no small kids.  A 26 year old living with her fiancé.  She says she has more control of her food - which is 100% true! But I love going out to eat (or eating out as the subject would suggest)

• Also dining is hugely social in my group “want to meet up for dinner/drinks?”.  It’s what we do.  It’s where we go.

• banana468 said:
    Does you coworker also have young kids?  When we had DD we didn't do a lot of going out simply because I had a fear that taking her would mean I had to parent in a parking lot while DH ate.  As they get older we have more flexibility with places.

We're at 1-2 times/week now with one solid stop being Dunkin after Sunday mass. That's two coffees, two B,E,&C wake up wraps and two donuts so the net bill is under $12 and it rewards them for good behavior. 

There's often some kind of take out pizza or Chinese in the mix as well.   Aside from that I couldn't tell you the last time that DH and I went out to a restaurant and ate inside with kids - it's been months.   For DH and me the last time we had a meal out was the night we saw Hamilton after Christmas.

Side note: am I the only one relieved that this didn't have to do with oral sex? 
    Oh, do you want one?  Because I do have a question about that....

no, no small kids.  A 26 year old living with her fiancé.  She says she has more control of her food - which is 100% true! But I love going out to eat (or eating out as the subject would suggest)
    Ha!   No!   I just wondered what I was about to read.

That's interesting.   At 26 and engaged DH and I had at least one night out a week that we went to the bar for dinner.   It was part of our weekly routine - Thursday night was Dubliner night!  

Then we'd throw other times in there when friends would want to get together or hang out.   

It was soooo easy to make a decision on the fly too.   26 feels like it was last night.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2019

We rarely eat out for dinners, we'll go out/pick up/take-out once or twice a month. 

H has a lot of breakfast and lunch meetings and he doesn't want to eat out for dinner bc that's a lot.  I buy my lunch probably once a week at the cafeteria at work or run somewhere for takeout.

ETA: It also goes in phases - we've had a lot more weeknight outings and other things happening since Christmas so the last month has been closer to 5-6.  But that's not typical. My family definitely ate out more growing up that H and I do now - but I like to cook and my mom doesn't so it was always easy to talk my parents into dinners out.

• Going out when I was a kid meant driving up to a little window on the side of the hardware store and getting a vanilla soft serve in a cake cone for a quarter.  We did this about once a month after church.  Maybe twice a year we would go out to breakfast after church. 

We lived in a very, very small town- there was a stop sign. We were also pretty poor and there were 4 kids. 

When DH and I were first dating/married we were also living in a very small town.  There are only so many times you can eat at the 2 restaurants.  One was Bob Evans and we would go there once a month with our on-call team so we never wanted to go together. 

• We go out once a week when we run errands on the weekend.  My H gets lunch out every Thursday because there is a deal on Chicago dogs at a local place.  I get breakfast or lunch out once or twice a week.  I love to cook, but eating out is fun too.
  • I feel like at 26, I was definitely eating out for a lot of meals and not doing a lot of cooking. 
  • Depends on who got paid, but usually it’s once or twice a week. DW goes out with friends or on her own once or twice a week, and I buy lunch in the cafeteria a couple times a week. I’m trying to keep protein bars and other snacks in my desk and bring food with me to break my habit. 

I do like to cook, and once MIL gets here, I’m going to start doing meal prep for her and for us so we don’t go out as much. 
  • Prekids I would have been all over the meal delivery kits. I just can’t figure out how they’d work for our family now. 
  • 6fsn said:
    Prekids I would have been all over the meal delivery kits. I just can’t figure out how they’d work for our family now. 
    I've heard consistently that the portions are small so you'd need two every night! That would be more expensive than going out!!

H and I definitely went out more when we were younger and in our "if the card doesn't get declined, we're good" financial phase. When we were first dating, he had a self-imposed "we go out on Fridays" rule. 

And I probably lied. H eats out for lunch pretty regularly. I bring leftovers and only eat out rarely if I have to, and then it's grocery store soup or something. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 6fsn said:
    Prekids I would have been all over the meal delivery kits. I just can’t figure out how they’d work for our family now. 
    I've heard consistently that the portions are small so you'd need two every night! That would be more expensive than going out!!

H and I definitely went out more when we were younger and in our "if the card doesn't get declined, we're good" financial phase. When we were first dating, he had a self-imposed "we go out on Fridays" rule. 

And I probably lied. H eats out for lunch pretty regularly. I bring leftovers and only eat out rarely if I have to, and then it's grocery store soup or something. 
    yep I've tried 2 now and the portions are definitely small. Well probably the portion you're supposed to have but my H bitches about it being too small and it isn't worth the fight. My last one when there was a deal I got 2 of the same meal and we cooked it all at once. I think it fed us that night and maybe leftovers for 1 person 
  • Growing up, we rarely went out - maybe for birthdays, so five or six times a year.  Take-out was a rare treat too.

DH was the opposite - his parents always took him out. 

Now we as a couple go out (including take-out and coffee) MAYBE once a month, but it is more once every two months.  For the last two years the amount we spent per month on restaurants was $30/month (averaged out).  I would like to go out more with DH, but he doesn't get a lot out of it.  It isn't special for him because he did it so much as a kid, and he'd rather stay in.  Today is our 5 year anniversary and I think we're getting take-out to celebrate. 

• kerbohl said:

Growing up, we rarely went out - maybe for birthdays, so five or six times a year.  Take-out was a rare treat too.

DH was the opposite - his parents always took him out. 

Now we as a couple go out (including take-out and coffee) MAYBE once a month, but it is more once every two months.  For the last two years the amount we spent per month on restaurants was $30/month (averaged out).  I would like to go out more with DH, but he doesn't get a lot out of it.  It isn't special for him because he did it so much as a kid, and he'd rather stay in.  Today is our 5 year anniversary and I think we're getting take-out to celebrate. 

Happy Anniversary!!
  • We've been cutting back, but we're still higher than most. I'd say probably 2-3 times per week now. We typically go out for dinner either Friday or Saturday, and then take out or delivery one other time. Plus, we may get a sandwich or something out if we're running errands on the weekend. We normally bring our lunches, but we'll buy from the cafeteria or eat out 2-3 times/month.

Five years ago, it would have dinner both Friday and Saturday, plus some lunches or takeout in the mix. But that was back when none of our friends had kids, so there was at least one social meal out every week. 

We ate out about once a week when I was growing up. It was usually something family friendly but sit down. Dinners were typically when my parents socialized. Plus, we'd get pizza delivered any time there was a baby-sitter, but that was usually only about once per month. DH ate out a lot more growing up. He was an only child with a single mother who didn't know how to cook. She would buy a family meal from a chicken place and he'd eat off it for days. He will still buy a rotisserie chicken and eat off it for lunches. 
  • Yes before surgery those meal kits would not fill me.  They are excellent now because sometimes (not all) I can’t even finish one.  H had a surgery that allows him to get fuller faster too, so it works out so well for us.  I feel like the meal kits are decently priced.  The quality is excellent and I love everything I make. 

• We order pizza pretty consistently once a week, and there’s 1 occasionally 2 more take ins over the course of the month, so I’d say 6x a month.  Or maybe 7-8 if you count my cake-pops-from-Starbucks bribe if my kids are well behaved in Target.  

Me and H’s last date night was a Mets game in September...our last date night at a restaurant was our anniversary last February  :D so any eating out is delivery.  I bring lunch from home and the firefighters cook their meals so H doesn’t order out lunch either.

Happy anniversary @kerbohl!
  • We're really terrible.  It's probably 6-7x/week.  I'm trying to cut back a lot.  K doesn't mind cooking, but it's all instant type stuff or chicken nuggets and I don't like that.  My cooking mojo is starting to return as I start enjoying my kitchen more and feeling more settled and at home where we are.  That's still one of the lingering things from the divorce that is taking the longest to heal.
  • if you include pizza, once every other week or so.
    And neither of us eat out at work--it's to damn spendy.
    (I do it about 3x a year)