Honeymoon Discussions

Costa Rica Honeymoon?

We are looking for a honeymoon that provides us with a lot of opportunity not only to relax on a beach but to get up and do things as well. I have heard that Costa Rica is a great place for this.

Has anyone stayed there and have any advice or tips on where to go and what to do? Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Costa Rica Honeymoon?

• We're going to CR in June - staying at Arenal Nayara, El Silencio Lodge, Lapa Rios and Oxygen Jungle Villas.  We are expecting to get a good balance of adventure and relaxation!  We booked with Costa Rica Experts - not saying you should book with them, but I found a lot of helpful info on their website. GL!
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • I lived in CR for a few months.  The months with the most rain are Sept. and October, although from about April- Nov. is the rainy season.  What the means is that it will rain every day, sometimes very heavily, but mostly for 2-4 hours and then you'll be fine.  The Caribbean side had a slightly different rainy season than the Pacific and it was dryer there in Sept and Oct (but still rainy.)  Depending on what you want to do I loved Tortuguero, but it's not a resort of any means so maybe not the best place for a honeymoon.

Arenal (Which is in La Fortuna) is great for seeing an active volcano, having lots of spas and resorts, and zip-lining).  You can go travel to Monteverde through many different companies by crossings Lago Arenal and then take a car 1-2 hours to Monteverde where there are rain and cloud forests (note it does rain every day there, beware of your camera in the rain!)

If you are in the Pacific coast, you can visit Rincon de La Vieja (if you're close) which you get to see an active volcano (no lava, but mudpots, steam vents etc.) and then take a nice, long walk through a forest.  When I did this I saw 3 different kinds of monkeys!

Bring binoculars (you can get a pair for $20 and they'll be fine) and Space saver bags are great b/c no only do they make your clothes take less space, but they keep them dry too :)

Have fun!

I think most people prefer the Pacific Coast--the beaches are gorgeous there!  I did like the Caribbean side a lot too,  but again I traveled as a backpacker so I'm not so sure about the luxury spots.  
  • We are going in June. We're spending 2 nights at Arenal Nayara and 4 nights at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We're gonna do all we can with the volcano at our fingertips in Arenal (hot springs, the waterfall, possibly ziplining) and plan to relax and maybe do some wildlife tours from Papagayo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards