Wedding Woes

Wicked Wednesday

Yep, it's cold.  Last night 6let came home from practice with a box of Krispy Kreme Donuts.  Carpool mom had gone through the drive thru and picked up a box for her family and one for ours.  The kids are already sugared up.  I have calls this morning and then we're making homemade pizza for lunch, popcorn for snacks, and letting them play all afternoon. I'm going to try a few new snack recipes.  I made a 9x13 pan of baked oatmeal Sunday afternoon and it's gone:( DH didn't have any and I had one tiny portion.  These kids can EAT.

We finally got the evaluation schedule for 6let.  Saturday arrive at 9:15.  Evals from 10-1 then 2-4.  Sunday evals from 8:30-noon.  The kid is going to be bruise and battered after that.  And hungry!

Since I'm on the food train, I'm also putting in a grocery order so I can makeup some freezer meals on Monday.

Re: Wicked Wednesday

• I did the apple cinnamon one with regular milk and brown sugar as substitute. https://pin.it/yvddzvdzfaalyk
  • It’s polar vortex here in Buffalo. We’re still projected to get 18-24 inches of snow although i was able to sneak out to the gym and get a 4 mile run in before it started. Now it’s basically white out conditions outside. 

I’m working from home and sort of cranky about it. Our technology is bad (I have to remote in to my desktop at the office rather than just working on a regular computer) and it slows everything down. And my manager still wants regular updates on everything that was supposed to be done today. I get it but it’s annoying because everything takes longer. 

H is off today. And bored. 
  • DH went to the office today. I thought he was going to stay home.  He said he's going to try to leave early.  We need to have a fire tonight to give our furnace a break. 

DefConn is in youtube heaven.  We do have some homework to do.  I won't be surprised if they call a 2 hour delay tomorrow, but IDK about another full 'snow' day. 

At least it's sunny out.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    DH went to the office today. I thought he was going to stay home.  He said he's going to try to leave early.  We need to have a fire tonight to give our furnace a break. 

DefConn is in youtube heaven.  We do have some homework to do.  I won't be surprised if they call a 2 hour delay tomorrow, but IDK about another full 'snow' day. 

At least it's sunny out.  
    All the schools here cancelled yesterday for today and tomorrow. I was in a meeting and like 4 people got text messages at the same time updating parents. At least they got a heads up?
  • H and I are home. It’s -24 and feels like -53 right now. 

There’s a handful of things I still want to clean but we don’t have a whole lot going on today. H is trying to lose weight and doesn’t want me to bake but if he thinks he’s going to take my baking away from me when work is closed on a Wednesday and it’s colder than fucking Antarctica, he’s wrong. 

The electric company has a program where they give you $50 for old working fridges and freezers. They’re supposed to come today. I doubt it. Even our garbage is delayed, thank god. 

Im so intrigued by baked oatmeal! Is the texture like a soft granola bar kinda thing?

Stay safe everyone! 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We haven't heard anything about tomorrow yet. I can handle one day, but two is pushing it.  Especially since tomorrow is Max's school day so if it's cancelled he will have gone ONE DAY this week. 

@shessocold- It's like solid enough I can scoop out a piece, but it's not solid enough I could eat it like a bar. So a super soft granola bar. Make sense? 6let eats it cold.  M2 puts it in a bowl with a splash of milk and heats it up.  I liked this because the ingredients are things I have 995 of the time.

• edited January 2019
    @charlotte989875 I saw a news clip of a squall going through Buffallo! Crazy! 

Not too cold in NY today. We're supposed to maybe get another 1-3"? I don't even know. 

My FSIL finally decided on a color of shoes for the wedding, so I'm happy I can pick a pair out. 
    We just got an updated forecast of 3 feet of snow. I currently can’t see the houses across the street. 

Most of it is lake effect snow so I doubt it’s this bad outside of Buffalo. 

The really crazy thing is that we live on Main Street in our village (just south of the city) and I can hear tons of cars driving by). We don’t have a driving ban or anything so people are still out. Insane. 

ETA: the view of our backyard. There’s a fence back there we can normally see. And trees. 

• @6fsn thanks for the recipe! I'm so excited to try these! And hopefully Babypants will eat them too :)
  • @6fsn thanks for the recipe! I'm so excited to try these! And hopefully Babypants will eat them too :)
    I’m lazy and just did the 9x13 pan. That’s what was left last night  
  • Holy crap @charlotte989875. I did a winter in Rochester and it was craziness. 
  • @charlotte989875 stay safe in Buffalo! H has two cousins that live out there (one right in Buffalo, another out in a suburb) but I haven't seen any pictures from them yet. It's definitely cold in my part of the state, but we only got about an inch of snow overnight.
  • 6 thanks for the baked oatmeal reminder. I used to make it and enjoyed it so I should do it again.

Working from home today. Went into the office but the power was out so had to come back home. I think our furnace is struggling to keep up but luckily I have an electric fireplace in the bedroom keeping me warm. 
  • @charlotte989875 I saw a news clip of a squall going through Buffallo! Crazy! 

Not too cold in NY today. We're supposed to maybe get another 1-3"? I don't even know. 

My FSIL finally decided on a color of shoes for the wedding, so I'm happy I can pick a pair out. 
    We just got an updated forecast of 3 feet of snow. I currently can’t see the houses across the street. 

Most of it is lake effect snow so I doubt it’s this bad outside of Buffalo. 

The really crazy thing is that we live on Main Street in our village (just south of the city) and I can hear tons of cars driving by). We don’t have a driving ban or anything so people are still out. Insane. 

ETA: the view of our backyard. There’s a fence back there we can normally see. And trees. 

Ahh that's super crazy! 
  • I woke up to -29 air temp with -55 windchill.  The city buses were pulled off the road last night due to fuel issues in the cold. They are running some from Park & Ride locations this morning but that's all.  I'm WFH but only for an hour or two.  DH was on his way to work when they called and cancelled his route.  So we're both home.  Otherwise is bright and sunny outside!
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    WFH as well. Thank goodness I have a job that allows me to.  However, H isn’t that lucky and they’re still running trians today and he’s out in this cold (and if he catches a cold right before vaca and gives it to me I’ll be piiiiiiiissed).  I dont umderstand why they’re running a non priority train which is what he’s on (priority trains I MIGHT understand).

hope eveyone is staying warm!  Whether it be snow conditions or wind chills.  Winter sucks ya’ll.

eta words

eta:  oh, and also - day time TV sucks.  I’m sitting here waiting for price is right, which will be the highlight of my day.

• I feel for all of you. 

@CharmedPam SNS, you are wrong. Daytime tv is the best. Judge Judy, cops, price is right, maybe a teen mom marathon if you are lucky. ;)

SSDD. Had lunch with a friend, picked DH up early b/c he had a Dr’s appt near my work. The plan was that he would cab over afterwards to watch the baby while I taught my class. I was prepared to baby wear but DH showed up at the last second. 

Tomorrow, I am going to my other friends to see her new apartment. Friday, friend group breakfast then work. Saturday, I have a lesson then a massage that night. 
  • Oh Teen Mom?  That I can get down with.

when will these companies learn? H got stuck on the tracks waiting for an engine swap out because of the cold, so it took money to get a crew out to do that PLUS he’s going to need a recrew to get the train up to Chicago because he can’t work over 12 hours.  

Talking to my friend who’s husband works for UPS.  Four trucks stalled on the road while they were doing deliveries so he’s waiting (indoors) for a tow truck.  Along with 3 other random trucks on the road.  Was THAT worth it?  Making people work in this cold costs more money for these companies!

• edited January 2019
    We’re home with all the animals staying warm. Mutt is being a PITA and actually wants to stay out in the cold. We take him out to do what he needs to do and get him inside ASAP. He’s not even a breed that was bred for cold weather. SMH.

I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that my dad had knee replacement surgery. I talked to him last night and he’s doing OK but he’s not going home for a couple days. He was supposed to go home today, but that’s not happening.

I’m going to try to do housework today, and DW mentioned that she wants cookies, so I might bake. I definitely plan on making veggie chili.
  • I'm not complaining after seeing @ShesSoCold, @charlotte989875 and @MNNEBride's posts!  We are currently -6 with a real feel of -32.  I'm at work but leaving at 3.  Then, I'm off for a mani/pedi with some girl friends!

So work update - my layoff has been rescinded with a significant paycut.  Basically, I am sititng down with the boss today to try and negotitate an increase in 2-3 months or I'm going to keep looking for a new job.  The new salary is actually what I turned down during negotiations - but it's significantly higher than unemployment.  I'm pissed about the whole thing, but have to be financially smart.
  • I'm "WFH" today.  Except since our office closed and all 300+ ppl are trying to work from home I can't login to our system.  Because we apparently do not have enough license for everyone to do that at once.  I don't have anything critical necessarily, but it would have been nice to be able to sit in my sweats and watch TV while I work on spreadsheets.  I'll keep trying.

I can't believe UPS didn't close around here.  In IA and parts of IL the USPS and FedEx suspended delivery today, but not UPS.  @CharmedPam that stinks about your H and the trains - it's crazy to try and run equipment in this wind and cold.

Luckily, it's sunny so it feels nice and cozy in my house for the moment.  I'm ready for sunnier days!

• A lot of our team members are WFH if they're affected by the vortex.   I talked to one coworker who said it was -22 and that was an hour ago in GB.   That's not a windchill!   The main LTL carriers are just not picking up but last we heard UPS was a possibility at the time. 

I have major respect for anyone who leaves their home today. 
  • I don’t know how any of you are functioning in this polar vortex. I would have said “nope” and then gone back to bed. 

@mrsmitten I’m sorry your job is pulling you all over the place. How shitty. 

@OurWildKingdom good vibes for your dad! 

School today. I have no desire to do anything right now. I should probably take a rest day from the gym but I’m torn. Last night I made “healthy” cookies and they were actually pretty good. A little on the expensive side because of the ingredients, but definitely edible and they take the edge off a sweet tooth craving. 

I have the next few days off after today and I’m so torn whether to pick up shifts or take a second to breathe. Ugh. The adult decisions in life.

Stay safe and warm, everyone! 

• For those of you who don't frequent other boards, you can now upload an avatar - thank you TK! For some reason MobKaz and I were the only ones for awhile now that didn't have the two eyed button instead of our avatar. Now you can have one plus a signature and pictures too!!!! Will wonders never cease!
  • banana468 said:
    A lot of our team members are WFH if they're affected by the vortex.   I talked to one coworker who said it was -22 and that was an hour ago in GB.   That's not a windchill!   The main LTL carriers are just not picking up but last we heard UPS was a possibility at the time. 

I have major respect for anyone who leaves their home today. 
    USPS is closed today in Michigan, but our Fed Ex guy was just here.  Poor thing!
  • Question for you ladies in the vortex - do you think you'll be shut down tomorrow as well? 
  • Question for you ladies in the vortex - do you think you'll be shut down tomorrow as well? 
    My office hasn't issued any closure yet and I doubt they would close for 2 days.  But tomorrow morning is supposed to be just as cold as today so I'm holding out hope.
  • edited January 2019
    Casadena said:
    Question for you ladies in the vortex - do you think you'll be shut down tomorrow as well? 
    My office hasn't issued any closure yet and I doubt they would close for 2 days.  But tomorrow morning is supposed to be just as cold as today so I'm holding out hope.
    Thanks! We have a bunch of vendors that are closed today, and I'm just wondering if they'd be back open tomorrow. 

ETA: I hope you're all able to stay home again!