Wedding Woes

Tit for Tat

My fiancé and I just recently got engaged but after several years of day dreaming I already knew my heart was set on a sexy wedding dress. I got a full back tattoo a few years ago and just knew I wanted a dress that showed it off which means something backless or very low-cut. The problem? I’m small everywhere except my 28H boobs courtesy of my two kids. I haven’t tried any dresses on yet but I’m already feeling hopeless as I can’t stand your typical “wedding dress” and I’m almost certain my boobs are gonna slide out ofanything backless :(

Re: Tit for Tat

• My fiancé and I just recently got engaged but after several years of day dreaming I already knew my heart was set on a sexy wedding dress. I got a full back tattoo a few years ago and just knew I wanted a dress that showed it off which means something backless or very low-cut. The problem? I’m small everywhere except my 28H boobs courtesy of my two kids. I haven’t tried any dresses on yet but I’m already feeling hopeless as I can’t stand your typical “wedding dress” and I’m almost certain my boobs are gonna slide out ofanything backless :(
    You won’t know until you go try things on. You may have to compromise between what you can’t stand and what works. I feel like that is lesson number one in wedding planning, lol. For instance, I loved the look of silky, sheath dresses but I didn’t love the look on ME so I chose something else. 
  • If you’re not into traditional weddding dresses then I’d start trying on dresses at department/specialty stores. Depending on the structure of the dress you maybe be able to have cups of boning sewn in which will give you lift. There are also low back/long line bras depending on how low the back of the dress is. I wore an illusion back dress and had a long line bra sewed into my dress to hold everything up, but I did have a dress from a bridal shop so they had much more experience with these types of alterations. 
  • Also, there are a lot of dresses with sheer backs that allow the fabric to have more structure but you could still see your tatoo. Plus many wedding dresses have build in longline structures and bra cups (or they can be added). 
  • Your title is everything. I was expecting a post on some sort of pettiness.
    Ditto PP- get out there and try on some dresses.  Talk to seamstresses who specialize in evening gowns - lots of dresses can have bras sewn in.  
  • kerbohl said:

If I had to do my wedding over, I'd have my dress custom made.  My husband had his outfit made and it ended up not that expensive - I bet I could have gotten the exact dress I wanted for the same price or cheaper than what I paid for my wedding dress.  Maybe look into it, but AFTER trying some on at a department store or a bridal shop.  You need to really know what you are after before you get something custom made.

Also, love the title of this thread - very fun!

I agree SO MUCH with this. As an A cup, I clearly do not have the same fit issues as OP. But after trying on over 100 dresses, I finally settled on something I didn't even want because I was sick of shopping and didn't think I could afford to have something made. Turns out that I totally could have. The dress is one of only two regrets I have about my wedding.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I will also chime in that you need to try dresses on!

I'm a busty gal myself (D-cup) and figured there was no way I could wear a strapless wedding dress.  Which was challenging, because I knew the majority of wedding dresses were strapless.

I was adamant I wasn't even going to try on a strapless dress, because strapless anything else I've ever tried on looks horrible on me.  Even strapless bras aren't supportive enough.  I wanted a dress with a halter style.  Because halter tops look great on me.

Fortunately, the friends I was with and the bridal shop consultant talked me into at least trying on a strapless dress.  I tried on all different styles of dresses.

I was shocked to discover that strapless dresses looked much better on me than any of the other styles, even the halter.  It was the boning and structure of the dress that made all the difference as opposed to more casual strapless dresses/tops that typically don't.  I wore a corset under the dress just to be extra sure I had enough support, but I don't think I even needed it.

I realize you're looking for a backless dress, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find some of that same goodness with a wedding dress.  Especially with PP suggestions of a long-line bra.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PPs. As a busty woman myself, I’ve had to go on adventures to find bras that support me. Luckily there are more options out there now that don’t look like Madonna bras and are actually comfortable. You might need to go talk to a lingerie seamstress (their real name escapes me right now) and have a specialty corset custom made. Or you might get lucky and find one that works for your situation. 

• kerbohl said:

If I had to do my wedding over, I'd have my dress custom made.  My husband had his outfit made and it ended up not that expensive - I bet I could have gotten the exact dress I wanted for the same price or cheaper than what I paid for my wedding dress.  Maybe look into it, but AFTER trying some on at a department store or a bridal shop.  You need to really know what you are after before you get something custom made.

Also, love the title of this thread - very fun!

I agree SO MUCH with this. As an A cup, I clearly do not have the same fit issues as OP. But after trying on over 100 dresses, I finally settled on something I didn't even want because I was sick of shopping and didn't think I could afford to have something made. Turns out that I totally could have. The dress is one of only two regrets I have about my wedding.
    The bolded is exactly how I felt. I didn't try on that many dresses, but I hated dress shopping because I thought I couldn't afford my dream dress. I totally could have, and should've done it, and now I won't even hang wedding photos in my house because I hated my dress so much. Don't rule out having something custom made, or seriously altering a dress that you find off the rack. My girlfriend bought a dress for $300 and the altering cost was far less than she thought (full sleeves on a strapless dress, buttons, etc).
  • Another vote for "You need to go try dresses on!" and with this being Prom Season for formalwear, you can try on multiple styles for what works on your body and once you know that, you can order online if necessary.  It may come down to needing a clear strap in back to hold things in place, but first you've got to go try things on to find out what your options are.  Something you also may need to plan ahead is who is going to do the alterations may be your first decision and then the gown.  

The important part is your budgeting because alterations can double in some cases the cost of the dress.  Recognize this when you set your budget so when asked "I have a budget of $$$$" knowing it will be easier for you to go under budget than break it to get something you're scrambling to afford to have alterations done on.  

• Another vote of try on dresses,  and even go to some great bra shops.  Also, go to shops that are not Davids Bridal but instead ones that will work with you.

• banana468 said:
    Another vote of try on dresses,  and even go to some great bra shops.  Also, go to shops that are not Davids Bridal but instead ones that will work with you.

Absolutely. A small bridal shop would probably be your best bet, and definitely find a good seamstress.

Congratulations! 
  • Great news for anyone that has the same “busty” problem who happens to come across this thread. There IS a bra out there for us: it’s called the Soutien-Gorge Dos Nu Low Back Set. I got it from a local boutique here in VA for $120 and it’s worth every penny. It lets you wear low-back dresses, keyhole, strapless, etc. my only critique is I found myself spilling out the top if I bent over, but that was easily solved with some $7 double-sides tape.