Wedding Woes

Tuesday...Bluesday?

So, I didn't mention this yesterday but ya know how some people don't know what is and is not a bathroom when they get super bombed? Well, I'd heard stories but had been blissfully unaffected by this. Until Saturday. In my kitchen. We had some people stay over after the pub crawl and I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed and H comes in and goes, "So, I don't mean to be a buzzkill but I'm pretty sure X is peeing in our kitchen." UGHHHHHHHH WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF So we spend the next hour and a half cleaning while X sleeps comfortably on the couch. 

The worst part though is that they're unsealed hardwood floors. They're all waterlogged and starting to warp. H called an acquaintance with a water restoration company and he let us borrow a giant dehumidifier and some fans for the next week. They're taking up the entire kitchen and are SO LOUD. The dog is shitting herself. It's a mess. And the guy said that even with these things, it can take 3 months-ish for the warping to go back to flat. So that's AWESOME being that we're trying to sell in the next month. AWESOME. 

I'm starting to get disheartened. But I do that easily so I'm trying to rein myself in. 

Oh and the "suspicious device" is gone. The county came out with a van and a couple guys. Put it in a metal box. Asked us a bunch of questions about the house and where it was found and shit. The one local cop remembered the kid that lived there. 
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Tuesday...Bluesday?

• Ew @ShesSoCold that’s awful about the kitchen floor!  Glad the bomb was taken care of though..just skimmed through the Monday chat that sounds scary!

Schools are closed this week so I’m off and so are the kids.  Typical of our weather patterns, it’s 20 today and tomorrow, and mid-50s Thurs and Fri, so those will be Zoo/beach/something fun days that don’t cost anything.  Today and Tomorrow will be tricky...do I throw money at entertainment and go to a kiddie indoor playground or the Hall of Science?  They’re not the kind of kids who will just happily, quietly watch tv for hours on end.  So far we’ve baked banana Nutella bread and I’ve broken up six fights.  Debating my next move.
  • :open_mouth:  <-- this was my face reading your post. OMG. Did the guy even at least apologize? That's crazy! 
    Glad the bomb is gone! 

I'm just in a sour mood today and I can't shake it. Stupid stuff going on w/ my family. 

• Glad the house is bomb-free.  ;)  And ugh at X.  Ridic.  I've experienced that BS from people...way back in the day (like twice).

My former next door neighbor's son had emergency surgery last night.  I'm holding my breath for an update.  The kiddo and her older son are still close friends and we were pregnant at the same time (her son is just a few months older than DefConn).  Plus, they went to daycare together for about a year when they were toddlers.  It sounded serious and scary.  :(  He's had some health issues since he was a baby, but I'm not sure if this is related to that or something new. 

DefConn asked for sloppy joe's tonight and I haven't made them in for-ev-er.  I've found a few recipes that might work, but anyone has a tried and true one...hit me with it.  :) 

Other than that, it's Tuesday.  The worst day of the week.  At least I have deep dish to look forward to tomorrow night, as we're taking FIL out to dinner for his bday and he wanted pizza. 
  • @ShesSoCold, Yikes, I hope your floors turn out okay and in time for putting the house on the market.  Not related to drinking, but my H accidentally peed on the couch in the middle of the night when he was a little kid.  In his sleep, he lifted one of the couch cushions like it was a toilet lid, lol.  Glad your bomb-free!  Sounds like it was also a relatively low-key matter.  No SWAT teams arriving by the van loads and a helicopter flying overhead, lol.

@eileenrob, broken up 6 fights and it's not even 10AM? My prayers are with you, lol.

@climbingwife, I'm sorry to hear your having a bad day.  I hope whatever you have going on with your family gets better.

@mrsconn23, I hope things go well for your friend's son.

I had a two steps forward, one step back day, yesterday.  I was excited to get an especially large paycheck from my p/t gig.  Usually it is $700 2x/month.  But, because they added a hotel to my route and there was an extra day or two in the last pay period, I got paid $900.  Except I had a $400 'cc balance with zero interest that is expiring on March 6th, so I paid that off.  And an especially spicy $450 spent on my Amazon 'cc last month.  Paid that off.  So this morning I'm like, "Yay, $900!  Wait.  It's already gone? lol." 

Hate that feeling! But it seems like that’s where all our extra $ is going now too!
  • @charlotte989875, good luck to your H!

@CharmedPam, your weekend sounds awesome!  I'm glad you had so much fun and that your H was really surprised.  I would never doubt that @DrunkPam would have good ideas, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lol S+S!  It was a great weekend.  We also did SNL: the experience during the day and it was quite interesting.  Recommended to the locals if they haven’t done it yet. 

• eeewwwww

Not much today.  Made lasagna for dinner and working on a school project with Max.  Doing a bunch of admin stuff for 6let's teams.  It's a little awkward that 6let got picked for national tryouts, but the coaches kid didn't.

My friend is struggling hard core with her daughter.  The girl and 6let are the same age.  She suffers from a lot of anxiety around eating- fear of choking- and has a few other things (like lost and earring, the hole closed, and she won't get it repierced because of the pain).  The little girl had a palate expander put in yesterday am and now won't eat or drink anything. It makes me sad.

• Oh yeah, X feels awful. And they're paying the $100 that it's going to cost us for the dehumidifier for the week. And they sent us a new garbage can. I texted X yesterday as a heads up about the dehumidifier and they said "I'll pay for whatever". I hope "whatever" doesn't end up being a new floor! LOL 

On Friday, I went to the grocery store on my lunch break and saw my mom. Like, this woman looked EXACTLY like her. It was the strangest feeling. I still have this odd feeling about it.

So, hopefully these are my three things. My mom, the bomb and the kitchen piss. Now it will be smooth sailing. Pray for me. LOL 

Sending good vibes to the kids you know, 6 & Mrs.conn. :( Sounds terrible for these families.

Pam, that sounds like an awesome weekend! I love when surprises are successful like that!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • M2 wants a sleepover for her bday.  Someone asked if we had a gun because her kid has never seen one and wouldn't know the dangers. We have an antique in a combination lock gun safe behind the water heater.  No bullets.  I wonder if she'll be allowed to stay.

• 6fsn said:

M2 wants a sleepover for her bday.  Someone asked if we had a gun because her kid has never seen one and wouldn't know the dangers. We have an antique in a combination lock gun safe behind the water heater.  No bullets.  I wonder if she'll be allowed to stay.

Wow, that seems like a lot. Or am I wrong? I feel like it's a bit much to ask every family your kid hands out with, and to think that they'd be open and accessible to kids? I'm not a parent though so IDK. And you DO hear those news stories..

Hell, we remove our hidden emergency gun when anyone comes over, let alone a child. 
  • @shessocold I've heard of people asking, but this is the first I've ever been asked myself. This mom is particularly overprotective. We live across the street and she won't let her 2nd and 4th grader cross the street or play outside alone.  She drives to and from school every day and picked a preschool specifically because of their security.
  • To be clear- I don’t think it’s overprotective to ask  I feel like we can’t do much mire to secure this gun. I even sent this picture 
  • Honestly, I don’t think that would even cross my mind to ask if someone owned a gun before my child slept over. I mean I get why... but I just don’t think of those things (as a non parent).

• 6fsn said:
    To be clear- I don’t think it’s overprotective to ask  I feel like we can’t do much mire to secure this gun. I even sent this picture 
    Exactly what we have. Beyond that I don’t think there’s anything else to do. 

H and I have talked about this; if other people aren’t comfortable being in a home with guns that’s fine and we’re not taking it personally, but we’re also not changing what we do either. 

Like @STARMOON44 I think it’s totally fine to ask because how else would people know. 
  • edited February 2019
    Yeah, the more I think about this, I agree. I think I read too far into "she wouldn't know the dangers if she saw one" and I thought it was a little much to assume people have guns just lying there on the coffee table. But ya never know; I do know a family that does!

Not that my opinion matters but yeah, you wouldn't know unless you ask. And you never know what other families are like. 

ETA - I'm disagreeing with myself again. Assuming everyone is and has a safe home has been tragic for countless families and who TF am I, or anyone else, to judge one's comfort level and safety checks for their own children. 
  • I agree it's fine to ask.   As DD ages I haven't done this but probably will.   Kids naturally get into shit and it's the unknown that's scarier.   They know not to touch the stove because they see it.   A gun would be something that they would investigate if not locked away.

• MrsConn & 6 - Prayers for both kids.

SSC - I can't believe all of that happened so close to each other!  Glad the cops responded quickly to take care of everything and that your friend is taking the responsibility.

We know MIL and BF have 1 or 2 guns in the house.  And they are not secured and I don't even think they own a cabinet or safe.  We have mentioned this numerous times and we are basically dismissed because if they need the gun to protect themselves, they will never be able to access it in time.  So we told them DD will never stay with them, until they lock them up and show us they are locked up.  MIL was a bit put off by this, but H responded, too bad - how many times do you need to see stories of little kids accidentally shooting themselves or other before you realize this is an issue.  MIL has accepted that if she wants to see DD or babysit, it will be at our house. 

H wants his father's antique gun, it doesn't work and has no value except sentimental, but it still makes me nervous.  It's still at MILs house right now.  Eventually we will take it, full the chamber with something so it can never be fired and put it on display in a shadow box in the basement.

Our weekend was good.  Sunday and Monday we worked on moving the new dining set in place.   The table is so pretty!  I can't believe we got it for $150!  The guy had no idea what he had, I'm just glad I came across it before anyone else!  The date on the back of the hutch says 1956, back when they made furniture to last!  We dropped DD off at daycare on Monday and then H came back home and we cuddled in bed for about an hour.  I joked about how it was our old Sunday routine again!  Staying in bed and watching Leverage on TV!  Then we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

SSC - I can't believe all of that happened so close to each other!  Glad the cops responded quickly to take care of everything and that your friend is taking the responsibility.

We know MIL and BF have 1 or 2 guns in the house.  And they are not secured and I don't even think they own a cabinet or safe.  We have mentioned this numerous times and we are basically dismissed because if they need the gun to protect themselves, they will never be able to access it in time.  So we told them DD will never stay with them, until they lock them up and show us they are locked up.  MIL was a bit put off by this, but H responded, too bad - how many times do you need to see stories of little kids accidentally shooting themselves or other before you realize this is an issue.  MIL has accepted that if she wants to see DD or babysit, it will be at our house. 

H wants his father's antique gun, it doesn't work and has no value except sentimental, but it still makes me nervous.  It's still at MILs house right now.  Eventually we will take it, full the chamber with something so it can never be fired and put it on display in a shadow box in the basement.

Our weekend was good.  Sunday and Monday we worked on moving the new dining set in place.   The table is so pretty!  I can't believe we got it for $150!  The guy had no idea what he had, I'm just glad I came across it before anyone else!  The date on the back of the hutch says 1956, back when they made furniture to last!  We dropped DD off at daycare on Monday and then H came back home and we cuddled in bed for about an hour.  I joked about how it was our old Sunday routine again!  Staying in bed and watching Leverage on TV!  Then we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

Congrats on the table! Do you have a picture of it? We have a bedroom set from (I think) the 30s/40s based on the dates in our guest room. 
  • 6fsn said:

M2 wants a sleepover for her bday.  Someone asked if we had a gun because her kid has never seen one and wouldn't know the dangers. We have an antique in a combination lock gun safe behind the water heater.  No bullets.  I wonder if she'll be allowed to stay.

Wow, that seems like a lot. Or am I wrong? I feel like it's a bit much to ask every family your kid hands out with, and to think that they'd be open and accessible to kids? I'm not a parent though so IDK. And you DO hear those news stories..

Hell, we remove our hidden emergency gun when anyone comes over, let alone a child. 
    I think it’s completely reasonable and support parents asking every time. If they’re responsible owners it shouldn’t be a big deal to reply “yes, we own a gun, it’s stored in a locked safe in the bedroom, the bullets are stored separately.”  If they’re not comfortable answering that question it should be a massive red flag. No, I don’t know you store your gun safely if I don’t ask. Like pools- I think it’s totally reasonable to ask tons of questions about pool safety before sending a kid to a home that has one. Everyone has their own comfort level with risk but I don’t think it’s over the top at all to ask and I wish more people did. 
    Right on @st@STARMOON44. It’s funny, guns and pools are at the very top of those “questions you should ask the host parent before your kid goes for their first play date/sleepover/etc” lists that the parenting blogs I follow post.  From lighter ones like Sanctimommy all the way up to NY Times Well Family.  I didn’t grow up in a house with guns and I don’t live in one now, so I am a bit in the dark as far as how safe the house is when there’s a gun.  I would 100% appreciate the picture you sent @6fsn

@CharmedPam your weekend sounds so fun!  And in our area schools give a week off at Christmas, a week in February and a week near Easter or Passover (depending on whether it’s a Catholic or public school, although often the two holidays overlap).  @“short+sassy" I’m very familiar with that check -> bills routine! 
  • @ShesSoCold sending you good vibes for no more creepy oddities/bad luck! Sucks about your floor, but hopefully it's an easy fix!

Echoing PPs that it's totally reasonable to ask about guns in the house - especially in this day & age - and especially if you don't know a family particularly well yet. 

I've been MIA but lurking. I'm in a major funk. Got called to the carpet for voicing a benign opinion in a professional manner. LSS my boss' boss is a work bully and really has no idea what my team does - and hasn't bothered to learn. I'm at a fairly senior level in my company and should be allowed to provide feedback/express opinions in a constructive & professional manner, but this guy laid into me for over 40 minutes. It was so dehumanizing it triggered my PTSD and the nightmares I thought were behind me are now back. Thank god I have an appointment with my shrink on Thursday. But this guy is one of our top executives, so to report him to HR/Powers That Be could potentially result in my getting fired, which we can't afford. So I am keeping my nose clean and my mouth shut and in the meantime I just sent my resume to a competitor. 
  • Omg @sparklepants41 how awful!  I’m sorry that you’ve been going through all of that!  You’re completely in the right to think you were able to express an opinion.  Even if the competitor doesn’t hire you I’d mention it to HR.  That’s so wrong.

Congrats on the table! Do you have a picture of it? We have a bedroom set from (I think) the 30s/40s based on the dates in our guest room. 

I will take a picture of the set later.  The table is starting to get cluttered with everything from our dry sink, so we can move that out and place the buffet there.  Once everything's away, I will post pictures!
  • Yikes sparklepants41.  So sorry that happened and yes I agree with other pp’s... if competitor doesn’t hire I think you should send it out to a few more companies and activley look.  Boss could dont again if he did it once!

levioosa my parents left Memphis to go to Vegas for some sunshine.  It’s warmer in Memphis. 

• levioosa said:
    I’m not a fan of guns. As a kid I’ve been in houses that don’t keep their guns locked away responsibly. As an adult I’ve been around individuals who joke about how they’ve gotten drunk and shot their buddies in the ass by accident. As a health professional I’ve seen needless gun violence, often with children involved. I totally think it is reasonable for a parent to ask about guns and storage, in the same way it’s totally reasonable to ask about pools, like Starmoon said. 

SSC—that sucks about the floors. Asshole FBIL had a friend that would regularly do that. I couldn’t believe everyone was just like NBD. It’s gross and damaging. 

I have a final tomorrow so I’ll be studying for that today and trying to get my legs to be less dead. I feel like I’ve mentally checked out because next weekend is Vegas and I’m just over all of this work. It’s going to snow(!) in Vegas twice this week. I might need to go find some cute cold weather clothes in the next ten days. 

Good luck finding cute, wintery outfits.  Your post inspired me to look up how often it snows in Vegas.  Apparently, not often.  The last time was in 2008.  I found this fun pic from that year.  The palm tree fronds covered in snow are especially funny:

Wedding Countdown Ticker