Wedding Woes

Oscars

I thought Charlize Theron's dress was terrible. I have no idea why people are raving about it. 

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper - I had chills. I'm so glad she won for the song. 

I was watching the red carpet arrivals on E! and Guiliana Rancic said to both LG and BC that the movie made her love her husband more. It was really fucking bizarre. Did anyone else catch that?!

Re: Oscars

• I LOVED all the pink on the red carpet.  I thought Charlize looked nice but the style has been worn many times, so I don’t think the look deserves quite the level of attention. My favorite red carpet looks were JLo, Emilia Clarke and Billy Porter who slayed in the tuxedo-dress.

I wake up around 4:15 so I’m usually in bed by 9. I do wish that they spread some of the bigger awards throughout the show.  I did catch Gaga and Bradley’s performance a little while ago- superb!
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2019
    So I’m the one who DIDN’T catch Lady G and BC’s performance or her speech.  I was on the dreadmill with no cable access 😐

so glad Rami won!
    olivia colman did surprise me because weird movie aside, I didn’t think her acting was THAT great....
    you all know my love for Julia Roberts.  Let’s see... what else did I catch? Happy Boheim Rhapsody got 4 awards.  Loved that movie.  Guess I have to see Green Book now! 
     Eta for Charlize dress:  not horrible.  Not stunning.  Not sure why its getting attention either?

• My lunchtime activities today will be looking at all the red carpet dresses.  So I can't comment yet, lol.

I learned this morning from my local newspaper that Green Book was filmed in NOLA.  Fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like Charlize's dress and hair were a little too....Christina Ricci about 15 years ago for me.   And I'm not a big fan of a backless dress.   From the front it looked...fine.   Safe?    It wasn't a stunner and the only thing I think is maybe she opted for something a little more safe because she wasn't nominated and was presenting?    

I went to bed before the big 3 but I'm not sad that there are spoilers.   We recorded the rest and  I'll watch tonight.   I want to see Rami's speech and see if Spike does look like he's about to run out after the Best Picture win.
  • I think Angela Bassett looked AMAZING.  Also, Paul Rudd has not aged since Clueless. 

Barbara Streisand was...um...wtf? And how did SHE get picked to intro Blackkklansman? 

I loved Olivia Coleman's speech.  

I haven't seen any of the best pic noms, except Black Panther, but I want to see most of them.  I think a few will be on HBO soon. 

I did like the hostless format.  It seemed to move more quickly. 
  • Paul Rudd is always adorable. 

Agree the the hostless format was enjoyable. 
  • I was skeptical about the hostless format going in, but seeing as how I was able to watch 95% of the show before bed (a rarity in recent years), I say they should keep the show hostless going forward. 

Did not like Charlize's dress or her haircut, but I LOVE the dark color on her!

I've only seen Black Panther, but now I have a few movies added to my Watch List. 

The Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper performance was well done, but I'm wondering how his fiance felt about it. WOWZA - that chemistry seemed a bit more than just acting...

Also, UO, but I don't think Bradley Cooper is that good of a singer - although he is nice to look at while he's singing. 
  • My lunchtime activities today will be looking at all the red carpet dresses.  So I can't comment yet, lol.

I learned this morning from my local newspaper that Green Book was filmed in NOLA.  Fun!

Hmmm...disappointing.  A lot more "misses" than "hits" for me on what people were wearing.  Usually it is the other way around.

I thought Charlize's dress was okay, not a hit or a miss.  But I'm also not sure why it's being raved about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, UO, but I don't think Bradley Cooper is that good of a singer - although he is nice to look at while he's singing. 
    I'll raise you that I don't even like that song.  I think it's rather bland and while the live versions seem to be much better, the recorded version bores me to tears.

Billy Porter's dress was everything to me.  I love Christian Siriano, I love the nod to Hector Xtravaganza, I was just so happy.  
  • I loved their performance but I don't love the song lyrically.   Also, I think the sexual tension helped just a bit.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2019

I also don't really care for the song at all, it's pretty boring and not all that well written and I don't think it should have won.  The performance last night was far better than Gaga's weirdo solo version at the Grammy's though.  I'm finding this "real" Lady Gaga very unappealing and insincere.  I liked crazy Gaga better.

ETA: I thought Charlize looked awful - and it's hard for her to look awful I think. 

• Casadena said:

I also don't really care for the song at all, it's pretty boring and not all that well written and I don't think it should have won.  The performance last night was far better than Gaga's weirdo solo version at the Grammy's though.  I'm finding this "real" Lady Gaga very unappealing and insincere.  I liked crazy Gaga better.

That Grammy version was so terrible.  I loved the way she looked and she was in good vocal form, but trying to make that song sound like some sort of glam rock, pounding forward, anthem just..didn't work.  It came off so odd.  I think the piano last night helped and I really liked seeing her playing skills on display.
  • DW, MIL, and I were all disappointed that “Green Book” won best picture. MIL was rooting for “A Star Is Born,” and DW and I were rooting for “Black Panther.” We were happy that “Into the Spider-Verse” won best animated film, though.

DW hated Queen’s performance with Adam Lambert. I thought Adam was OK, but no one can replace Freddie.
  • I feel like Lambert needs a little restraint as a performer.  He's good, but he can't seem to help himself from veering into the territory of 'doing too much'.  Not quite on Gaga's level (I feel like she's performative in every aspect of her time in the spotlight...which after watching Five Foot Two, bothers me because she's much better and seemingly more authentic when she is holding back slightly), but he could hold back a little bit and give a better performance.  But he's been that way since his Idol days. 
  • Oh, I almost forgot that Free Solo won for best documentary! I was stoked about that! Jimmy Chin is so talented, and I love Alex Honnold. 
  • Oh, I almost forgot that Free Solo won for best documentary! I was stoked about that! Jimmy Chin is so talented, and I love Alex Honnold. 
    DH was very excited about that documentary win.  Alex Honnold has been making some podcast rounds and DH loved listening to him talk about it all.