Wedding Woes

Leave your salary out of it and your H needs to get what he's worth.

Dear Prudence,

My husband and I are employees at the same small school. His superior left a few months ago, and my husband inherited his duties. He requested a raise from our new director but was denied. We all just received our new contracts for the next school year and were told all increases were 2 percent or lower for all staff. My husband’s increase was exactly 2 percent. Mine was 5 percent. I don’t know what to do, as I signed and turned in the contract before doing the math. We have completely new staff in our business office and HR, so I believe the 5 percent was meant for him and they mixed us up, since we have the same last name. The only reason I’m hesitant to say anything is that, since I make more than him to start with, a 5 percent increase in my salary is more than a 5 percent increase in his, and we could use the money. (Who couldn’t?) Ethically, I should tell someone, right? Does it make me a terrible person that I haven’t yet?

—Contract Discrepancies

Re: Leave your salary out of it and your H needs to get what he's worth.

• I wouldn't say anything about my paycheck, although I would advise my husband to push harder for a raise due to the new position/responsibilities.
  • I wouldn’t say anything, but if the H hasn’t signed his yet I’d encourage him to ask for more. They might say no again, but why not ask. 

Also, keep what they gave you. Mistake or not, that’s what they offered and you accepted. 
  • I’m with you ladies.  How does she know that was even a mistake? But also - we have verbal talks about our raises as well as written.  Odd to me it wasn’t relayed verbally either.