Wedding Woes

Bean dip their rude asses

Dear Prudence,

Due to some difficulties at work, I had to quit my job. My husband is a stay-at-home parent, and neither one of us works. We are able to afford to it and have three children, one of whom has special needs. We spend a lot of time taking the kids to activities and taking our special needs child to appointments and therapies. Needless to say, we have a very busy schedule. My question is how do we handle comments and “concerns” from friends and family? They are all so curious how we handle our finances, and I just don’t feel that it’s anyone’s business!

—Unemployed Parent

Re: Bean dip their rude asses

• No one is entitled to the details of your finances. 

But Im guessing inter generational wealth. 
  • On the one hand, they're right.  It's not anyone's business.  But it's also understandable that, especially close friends and family, would be concerned.  And everyone will be curious, lol.  Because it is very unusual.

Darn you, LW, for not at least telling Prudie readers, lol.

I would probably give a very general answer of something like, "We are fortunate to be doing well in our investments."  If they don't want to even say that or someone pushes, then "I appreciate (though really I don't) your concern, but we are fine and are very private with our finances."

Followed with a, "Nice!  I heard your wife just got promoted to Operations Manager.  What kind of money are you all pulling down now?"  Okay, I'm totally kidding on that last part, lol.  But it would be tempting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker