Wedding Woes

Just STOP with the attempted go-arounds to Roe vs. Wade

Sorry for the vent, but I am so ANGRY right now that I had to post.  Apparently OH just banned abortions after the first fetal heartbeat.  I know Louisiana and other states are looking to do the same thing.

Except, here's the multiple problems with that.  Fetal heartbeats happen EEAARR-LEEEE in the pregnancy.  As early as 5 weeks, usually around 6 weeks.  When it's very possible a woman doesn't even know she's pregnant yet.  It's my understanding that a doctor can't perform an abortion until the fetus is visible to the naked eye.  Which typically happens around 6 weeks.

Soooo, really?  States aren't making abortions outright illegal (because they can't).  But they're going to randomly pick a step in fetal development that happens around the same time or before a doctor would even be able to perform an abortion, smh.

And, at least in this new OH law, no exceptions for rape or incest victims either.  But that's okay.  Because it's only women.  And, heck, 13-year-old little girls raped by their dad/brother/uncle/stranger are 5 years from voting anyway!  So who even gives a s**t about them//s.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just STOP with the attempted go-arounds to Roe vs. Wade

• Iowa passed the fetal heartbeat law last year, but thankfully it got vetoed at the supreme court level. 

I genuinely don't understand the level of idiocy needed to support something like this.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Completely maddening.  My second pregnancy my oldest was 5 mos old and nursing so often that my period was barely around, I didn't even know I was pregnant until about 8 weeks.  Laws like this are sick and I also support Supreme Court term limits.  (And FWIW I'm personally - like for my very own self- pro-life.  I've always voted pro-choice though.)
  • eileenrob said:
    Completely maddening.  My second pregnancy my oldest was 5 mos old and nursing so often that my period was barely around, I didn't even know I was pregnant until about 8 weeks.  Laws like this are sick and I also support Supreme Court term limits.  (And FWIW I'm personally - like for my very own self- pro-life.  I've always voted pro-choice though.)
    Especially on the no exceptions for rape and incest, they are evil monsters.  Not a hyperbole.  Just disgusting that people this vile got elected and now have power over laws. 

I especially admire people like yourself, @eileenrob.  From your statement, I'm assuming that you are morally pro-life.  For yourself.  But understand that's your own moral code and don't want these types of laws to dictate what others choose.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2019
    The grossest conversations are the ones around 'late-term' abortion.  The reporting shows that the vast majority of cases, the termination is because the fetus is incompatible with life OR there is an issue threatening the health of the mother (or both).  These are not decisions being made all willy-nilly, "Oops I don't want this any more!" or "My man left and I don't want to raise a baby alone!" or some other petty or superficial reason. 

These parents are trying to make the most loving decision at a most heart-breaking time.  It may be their final act of 'parenting' for that child.  The children were wanted, planned for, possibly named, and loved.  And for their healthcare providers to stand there with their hands tied because some lawmakers think women are so empty-headed and irresponsible that they need to be coerced into bring the child forth into the world makes me so stabby.  That has way more of a psychological impact on parents, than removing a clump of cells that haven't organized into real, sustainable life because they've only been around for 10 weeks. 

Oh and like @eileenrob, I'm personally pro-life.  I thankfully never got pregnant until I planned to, but I don't think termination would be on the table for me unless it was necessary.  But also, the pro-life movement is not only about restricting access to abortion, but to birth control in general.  The most rabid ones want to take away our autonomy over our reproductive process.  
  • I’m beyond pissed about the Ohio law. I work in child welfare and am constantly either disgusted or horrified by what parents put their children through. With more children being born who aren’t prepared for or even wanted, all my colleagues’ jobs are going to get that much harder.