Wedding Woes

Tuesday bluesday

What's up folks?

I am SO FREAKING SORE.  Between two really tough workouts and 3 hrs of yardwork my body is feeling rough. 6let has a doctor's appointment this afternoon. I'm afraid his reflux is back:( Poor kid was just standing eating cashews and the noises were driving me up a wall.  It's not his fault but I really wanted to ask him to leave the room!

Otherwise we're back to soccer and futsal discussions for next year.  I cannot do another year of M2's club. Of course the one week of tryouts for every club is the week we're in Disney.  So working on the supplemental tryout thing.

Re: Tuesday bluesday

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2019
    Last day of april ya’ll!

i slept in.  My first alarm went off the usual time but my second one gives me 8 more minutes.  However I turned that one off yesterday and forgot to reset it.  I’m laying in bed going “has it been less than 8 minutes?”.  Oh.  Nope.  It’s been 14.  Jump up and still work out though.  Was only a little late for work.

i got no sleep.  All i see on FB is about the kissing bug making it’s way to illinois.  And everything that brushes up against my face (hair, blanket, air...) is suddenly the kissing bug.  Ugh. 

@mrsconn23 its rare - but I love it when my works works in my favor!

• I was super productive first thing in the office this morning and now I feel blah. Daycare has a family picnic tonight from 4-6. I skipped my workout last night and want to go today but if I do then I will be scrambling for the picnic part - well at least to be able to get there earlier than usual so it doesn't interfere with nightly routine. I don't really know what the picnic is anyway as I thought we were supposed to bring our own picnic dinner but then an email said food would be set up in the culinary room so now idk I'm confused. 
  • I’m in tired and sore and back in the office. All I want to do is take a nap and eat chips. Possibly at the same time. At least I have a few meetings today which will force me to get some work done. 
  • I hate Tuesdays.  The day that makes the week seem like it's going to last forever.  

Work is being annoying, again, but I feel like every law office I've ever been in has horrible HR and management.

Other than that, SSDD.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I hate Tuesdays.  The day that makes the week seem like it's going to last forever.  

Work is being annoying, again, but I feel like every law office I've ever been in has horrible HR and management.

Other than that, SSDD.
    I worked in one law office and that was my experience as well. 
  • Law office peeps - do any of you watch Crazy Ex Girlfriend? Season 1 was great.  2 and 3 were on a downhill but now I’m on 4 and it’s good again!  

Today is @shessocold moving day! I don’t expect her to be on but good luck with your move, SSC!

• Work was busy enough that the day went by quick yesterday.  Always a bonus on a Monday!  I picked up DD, since H was at karate.  We had a lot of fun and she was good for me.  H got home just in time to say good night to DD.  I even read her a 2nd book and clipped her nails trying to stretch out bedtime until he got home!  She was very happy to see him, even if she started screaming because it was bedtime!  Her "Love you mommy" and "Night Night" are funny coming out while she screams in opposition to bedtime!

We've been doing tons of laundry the last few days.  Olive got a bath on Sunday, so H was doing all of her blankets and couch covers too.  She was giving me looks yesterday because she couldn't get up on her favorite couch, since the cover was being washed.  So I made sure to get the blankets back on there for her this morning.  I called her in when I finished and she came in and hopped right up.  She was very happy!

We have another siding company coming out, finally!  We still haven't heard back from the other company with a quote and its been almost 3 weeks.  H called him twice since he was out, but nothing in return.  Weird!  We also have another company coming in a few weeks on a Saturday.  So I will be happy getting more quotes so we can start to figure out when and with who we are doing this project.

• We’re back home after visiting the hometown this weekend. I’m still sick with a pretty bad cough and some congestion. I’m still torn on going to urgent care tomorrow. Our visit was good. We had a lot of fun and it was nice to catch up with FI’s older brother and his wife. Today I have my hooding ceremony which I’m treating like my graduation, since I’m skipping that. I am so ready for tomorrow. I have done something every day for almost two weeks straight and I need a moment to catch my breath. 

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2019
    I need to watch season 4 of Crazy Ex-GF.  It's on Netflix.  I hope Rachel Bloom has other projects in the works because I love her. 
  • @CharmedPam, I used to have two different alarms also in my single days, lol.  But now I have an H who usually wakes up freakishly early.  So he gets me up when I've hit the snooze alarm too many times...or occasionally sleep through it, eek...and still haven't gotten up by 6:30AM.

My goodness, will miracles never cease!  The friend I've mentioned who abandoned his truck on our street, finally sold it for scrap.  It's gone!  It's GONE!!!!  Yaaasss.  I came home yesterday and it wasn't there.  I completely assumed the same neighbors I was talking about yesterday had it towed, because that would be the most logical assumption.  But when I asked my H about it, nope, this friend finally took care of it.  I was happiest to see it gone, but also happy to hear that it was our friend's choice.  He got his tools out, plus an extra $300 from the scrapper.  Rather than it being towed away as an abandoned vehicle and he would have gotten nothing.

He bought a different used truck for $600 a few weeks ago.  It's in terrible condition (shocker).  I warned him to keep scrimping and saving for future repairs or another, better truck.  Because this one just isn't going to last very long and he'll find himself in the same place.  But I know this guy.  He's not going to do that (sigh).

Not much else going on for me today.  On the rental front, we need to replace a washing machine.  I tasked my H with (hopefully) finding a good used one to pick up.  One of my tenants gave us their notice that they're leaving on July 31st.  Nooooooo!!!!  They keep the place in good condition and Section 8 (housing assistance) pays 100% of their rent, so it's never late and I never have to worry about it.  Almost perfect tenants, lol.  But her b/f got a new, better job and they are moving out of the area.  One of the other benefits of S8 is tenants usually stay a long time, because it's often families with kids and they especially don't want to be move and possibly change schools.  So I never expected them to leave, at least not until their kids were older.  Oh well.  They've been there for 3 years, which is still decent.

She gave my H the notice and I asked him why it is so far out, but he didn't know and didn't ask.  July 31st is when her current lease expires and I'm assuming that's why.  I'm wondering if she might be flexible on the move-out date.  Because if she'd rather leave sooner if I find a new tenant, then hmmm...that could be a win-win for both of us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I’m still pissy about my hill not getting mowed. I’ve now contacted all the trustees and zoning enforcement. Next up is the health department. I’m also researching nuisance property laws. The irony is the box store sells lawn mowers. 
  • S+S whatever happened to the units you were thinking of buying. Did you back out of all of them? 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I need to watch season 4 of Crazy Ex-GF.  It's on Netflix.  I hope Rachel Bloom has other projects in the works because I love her. 
    I love it so far!  She reminds me sooooo much of one of my friends it’s uncanny. I keep telling my friend to get on and watch it because she has said the same stuff Rebecca Bunch has said.  Same delivery and everything.  I’m going to see her on the 8th and tell her if she doesn’t start to watch it expect me at her door, with sushi jammies on, because we’re going to get her started on that 

• kvruns said:
    S+S whatever happened to the units you were thinking of buying. Did you back out of all of them? 
    You probably missed my update.  The inspections were BAD.  Really bad.  I knew the interiors were going to be shot and had considered those expenses when I made my offers.  But I expected all the major systems to be at least in decent shape, since people were living in the units.  But there were substantial problems.  One duplex needed a new roof.  Both duplexes needed all the HVAC systems, including the ductwork, replaced.  And those are just the biggest highlights, lol.

I did back totally out of the one that needed a new roof, after the inspection.  I would have been open to still buying it at around $65K.  But, considering the list price was $115K and my accepted offer was $100K, I felt that would be too much of a "shock to the system" for the seller.  I was worried I'd insult them, though $65K is very fair, because I'd be the messenger who gets shot because they deliver bad news.  Even when it's true, lol.

I counter-offered on the other one at $81K.  They completely rejected it and didn't even counter back.

Oh, but wait, the plot thickens.  They relisted both duplexes at $99K each a couple weeks ago.  Over the weekend, they lowered the duplex in worse shape...the one that needs a new roof...to $60K and the other one to $90K.  As soon as I saw that, I contacted my realtor and asked her to prepare a Purchase Agreement for the list price of $60K on that one.  And to emphasize, "Hey, I'm already well aware of the condition!  No inspection needed (other than a quick walk through).  I'm good."  I also asked her to resubmit my previous counter-offer on the other one as a new Purchase Agreement.  Now that the seller has hopefully come to the grim realization that these properties aren't worth nearly what he thought they were, he might be more amenable.

As far as I know, we haven't heard back from the seller yet.  However, he was very slow with his responses/paperwork previously, as well.  I mean, you'd think he'd at least sign the PA where I'm offering his list price.  But he also might hate me now, lol.

And, y'all, I'm telling you.  Let this be a lesson, because I have seen it many times.  Be frugal, but don't be cheap when it comes to property repairs.  In good shape with basics (not even upgrades), each of these duplexes is worth $145K-$155K.  Don't ignore a $500 problem and turn it into a $10K+ one.  He's owned these properties for over 20 years.  Even just a little bit of basic maintenance over the years would have gained him so much more money in increased values now, on the backend, then it ever would have cost him.  The decades of deferred maintenance has cut the values in half.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's like my update post about those duplexes set things in motion, lol.

I'm not quite sure when this happened in the short timeframe since they lowered the price, but they accepted another offer.  And then that already fell through, lol.  As an aside, the listing was never changed from "active" to "pending".  In the meantime, they've had multiple offers (major whomp-whomp) and I was asked to submit my "final and best".   I offered $65,600.  It may not be enough.  I could see someone offering a bit more.  But that's the most I'm comfortable with.

At this price point, they'll probably also have people offering cash.  Always more attractive.  I don't have enough to do that, per se.  But was planning to get a product that is called a "bridge loan".  It gives me the cash for the seller (and the repairs) a lot faster than a bank, because there are much fewer requirements.  The lender basically only looks at the deal and the borrower's credit score.  Like closing in about 14 days fast! 

But here are the catches.  They're fairly short-term loans.  Usually not longer than a year.  And they're high interest and points.  The strategy is using a bridge loan to close deals fast and easily have repair costs, often substantial, included in the loan.  Fix the property up.  Then sell the property if you're a flipper.  Or refinance it to a more typical mortgage, if you're keeping the property as a rental.  Sometimes refinancing with the same loan company, who then waives the duplicate fees and usually doesn't require another appraisal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6 - Have you tried blasting the corporate office?  Calling their HQ or putting it on their Facebook page?

I had to do something similar when the gas company completely ignored an online form for shutting off service, (that is available on their own website!!!!!).  I had called the customer services rep and they told me they essentially don't look at them.  So I asked why do they even have them on their website.  I got stammering and a non-answer.  So I went on their facebook and politely blasted them.  I had a higher up rep contacting me via facebook right away and they fixed my problem ASAP and honored my requested shut off date.

Also, do you know which company owns the building?  Most big box stores don't own their building, they have long term leases instead.  So the building owner may actually be responsible for the mowing - not that it makes it any better.

Lastly, I don't know how your state government is set up.  But in NJ we have state sentators and assembly people.  The assembly people help with local issues, something like this may be in their realm of assistance.  So I would also contact whatever your lower level state representation would be, especially since this is a yearly occurrence for you.

• 6 - Have you tried blasting the corporate office?  Calling their HQ or putting it on their Facebook page?

I had to do something similar when the gas company completely ignored an online form for shutting off service, (that is available on their own website!!!!!).  I had called the customer services rep and they told me they essentially don't look at them.  So I asked why do they even have them on their website.  I got stammering and a non-answer.  So I went on their facebook and politely blasted them.  I had a higher up rep contacting me via facebook right away and they fixed my problem ASAP and honored my requested shut off date.

Also, do you know which company owns the building?  Most big box stores don't own their building, they have long term leases instead.  So the building owner may actually be responsible for the mowing - not that it makes it any better.

Lastly, I don't know how your state government is set up.  But in NJ we have state sentators and assembly people.  The assembly people help with local issues, something like this may be in their realm of assistance.  So I would also contact whatever your lower level state representation would be, especially since this is a yearly occurrence for you.

Those are great suggestions.  Especially contacting your the rep for your district.  Maybe it's just the one in mine, but my next-door tenant had a minor problem with a city related permit, and I was shocked at how extra friendly and responsive this gentleman was.  He quickly resolved my tenant's problem the same day.  This particular tenant runs a number of business endeavors in various parishes (counties) and he said local elected officials have almost always been prompt and helpful, when he's had a question or run into a problem.

At least from my albeit limited knowledge of commercial leases, you'd be shocked at how little property owners are responsible for, lol.  Usually it's just major maintenance items (roof, maybe siding), only related to the exterior.  Anything is possible and it wouldn't hurt to ask, but it's probably unlikely and I'd try the other suggestions first. That's the world of 5 and 10-year leases created by lawyer teams, with verbiage that they don't deal with leaky faucets and overgrown lawns, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I tried Facebook and twitter last year with no luck. I might stick my kid in the grass and take a picture again. I’ve reached out to township trustees and the county board of health today. I really just kept hoping it would get better. 

I havent looked at the property owner but it should be easily found right?  In years past we’ve just called the same manager at the start of the season and never had another issue. He says that the corporate offices sign the landscape contract so they’ve certainly made it sound like their responsibility. 

I’m not above calling the news people either. 
  • 6fsn said:
    I tried Facebook and twitter last year with no luck. I might stick my kid in the grass and take a picture again. I’ve reached out to township trustees and the county board of health today. I really just kept hoping it would get better. 

I havent looked at the property owner but it should be easily found right?  In years past we’ve just called the same manager at the start of the season and never had another issue. He says that the corporate offices sign the landscape contract so they’ve certainly made it sound like their responsibility. 

I’m not above calling the news people either. 
    Haha, posting at the same time, see mine above about commercial leases.

But to answer this question, lot ownership is usually public records.  A lot of states/counties have that info available online.  For example, in Orleans Parish, I can go to the Assessor's website.  Enter the address.  In less than 30 seconds it pops up all kinds of info.  A property pic, lot dimensions, sometimes the building layout.  What person or business owns it currently and sometimes the past history ownership.  The current property tax rate and a 5-year history.  When the current owners bought it and for how much.  Sometimes with the history of bought/sold values.  The history of permits pulled.

Nerded out there for a sec, lol.  I'm still get shocked at how much valuable info there is for the short and compact little form that comes up.

At any rate, it's super handy and easy when those records are available online.  But not all places have their property records online.  Then you'd probably have to go, in person to where those records live, and ask for the owner's info in that file.  You could also ask the big box store.  They might know and just tell you, what business owns and/or PMs their store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm late today but crossing fingers that the new bug doesn't hit Chiquito.   Tomorrow he has his K orientation!  

Last night we were up LATE with Chiquita working on her science project.   She was SUPER proud of it and I think it looks great.

Also, as an update from Friday - for any Northeast/New Englanders out there we went to the doctor Friday night and we didn't have to give a super dose of doxycyclene and now can watch Chiquita for signs of Lyme over the next few weeks.   Here are the things in our favor:

1) Tick season just started.   Those bad boys are just beginning to get started up so the liklihood that they have Lyme is low.

2) The Tick was on her for less then 72 hours.

3) The tick was legs out and not buried into her skin.   It was having a snack but didn't look like a baby grape. 

4)  The red mark on her neck started to go away.

That said to all new parents out there in this area, it's the season to start doing tick checks on your kids for every day that they are outside. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    @short+sassy and @OliveOilsMom it is indeed owned by the box store. Our county auditor site is awesome 
  • 6fsn said:
    @short+sassy and @OliveOilsMom it is indeed owned by the box store. Our county auditor site is awesome 
    I occasionally use them for other areas when I'm doing background checks on potential tenants from out-of-state (and my own).  So I can verify if the application says they lived at 123 Duck Lane and their LL was Ms. Jane Doe, I can look up that Ms. Jane Doe owns 123 Duck Lane.  It's hardly perfect, but just another small verification that piece of the application checks out.

This was a weird experience where it came in handy.  I had a tenant who didn't like a tree that hung into the backyard.  It was on a 13-acre wooded vacant lot that ran behind the houses on that street.  She asked me to ask the city to have it taken down.  I told her I doubted the city owned that land.  It wasn't a park or protected land or anything like that.  She kept saying it seemed like the city would own it.  Okay (shrug), I'll just show her.  I find the parcel on the assessor's map.  Click for the details....that's how I now know it is a 13-acre parcel, lol...and, fun!  Apparently someone living a few blocks away owns that whole kit and caboodle, under an LLC.  She seemed satisfied with that, once she knew it wasn't owned by the city, and let it go.

As an aside, there was nothing wrong with the tree and it wasn't hurting anything.  Except the cheap chain link fence that it had grown into, lol.  My H would occasionally trim back some of the branches to the property line, if she asked us to.  But, because of it's size and inaccessibility, it would cost many thousands of dollars to take down.  No one, not even the city, would ever bother taking down a healthy tree because someone didn't like it.  So I was glad she just dropped it after I took a few minutes to show her it wasn't city-owned.

------------------------------------

I don't know what people's deals are with trees out there.  But one of the next door neighbors for that same house, shortly after we bought the property, came out and demanded we take down the one tree that is in our backyard.  No part of this tree invades his property.  Not the branches or even the roots.  My H asked the natural question of "What is wrong with the tree?".  For some reason, this infuriates him further and he starts screaming incoherently.  My H thinks he said that rats come out of it, but we're still not sure to this day if that's what his problem was.  I dunno.  That tenant never had a problem with rats and I mentioned there's a 13-acre wooded lot that backs these properties, right, lol?

We told him we didn't care about the tree and we'd be okay with him hiring a tree care company to take it down, as long as they were licensed and insured.  He starts screaming and freaking out again because apparently we are supposed to pay thousands to a tree care company for his anti-tree whim.  We've since decided that there is something wrong with this guy.  Sometimes he's fine, but he can also have really non-sensical, erratic behavior.  It's happened a couple other times with us, though that was the one and only time about that tree, and we've seen it directed at other neighbors also.  I don't get a drugs or alcohol abuse vibe but, maybe. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    S+S fingers crossed it works out for you with the new price. I remembered the one unit being a no go and I thought you had countered on the 2nd but didn't see another update. I love your real estate stories as I find it so interesting even though it isn't something I would ever do.