Wedding Woes

UO: Tell your BIL she's not going to be in formal family shots.

Dear Prudence,

I’m getting married this year, and we are having a very small wedding with immediate family members only. My fiancé’s brother has a girlfriend he’s been with for a couple of years, but we have only met her once. None of us have any idea how serious the relationship is since she hasn’t attended any family functions (for whatever reason—it’s none of my business). We invited her, but I had to ask for her name because we don’t know her at all, which felt awkward. I have suggested a get-together to become better acquainted beforehand.

My question is: How do we deal with formal family portraits in this situation? I can’t imagine a tactful way to say, “OK, let’s get the siblings in here—now Girlfriend, step out for the next shot,” even if it’s the photographer saying it and not me. (It might be worse for him to do it instead of one of us!) Do we have to just suck it up and rely on Photoshop if they break up? I don’t want to offend her at an already awkward event for someone who doesn’t know anyone, but I also want to be practical. (A friend had to pay her photographer to Photoshop a sister’s boyfriend out when they broke up a couple months after her wedding.)

—Unknown Guest at Small Wedding

Re: UO: Tell your BIL she's not going to be in formal family shots.

• Photogs at weddings take a LOT of pics.  Even the more formal, staged shots that have all kinds of people groups in them.

I think the best way to handle it is to have some pics where the g/f is included in the family portrait and some where she isn't.

I guess it is a little more awkward in that it sounds like maybe a shot like that would be literally just her who isn't in the picture.  But I don't see it as that big of a deal either.  I think most people would understand and wouldn't be hurt by that.  She's not married to the FI's brother, hence she wouldn't be in some of the family portrait pics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:
    I would personally have a few shots where it's just immediate family, no SO's and then a few including everyone.  It' maybe takes an extra 5 minutes, no big deal. 
    Yup, ditto this. I've also been the girlfriend at a wedding/bar mitzvah and I understood. 
  • 3rd Casadena. Get pictures without SO's.
  • Agreed, but also you can have the photographer call people by name. 
  • Casadena said:
    I would personally have a few shots where it's just immediate family, no SO's and then a few including everyone.  It' maybe takes an extra 5 minutes, no big deal. 
    This.
    That way all SO's aren't in and it doesn't seem weird.
  • Talk to the photographer.   Ask how he plans to do this so she can be in some but not all.   This isn't hard and in the digital age, it's about 15 extra seconds and a few extra MB of storage.  My guess is that she'd start off in and step out.   Easy peasy. 
  • I don't think DH took formal shots with our family at my sister's wedding.  I'd have to go look at her album.  We were only dating at the time (got engaged less than 2 months later).  If they don't even know this woman's name and have never met her, then I think telling BIL that they don't intend to have her in formal family pics is that big of a deal. 

Also, why would she want to be in these pics if she's meeting LW on their wedding day? I would think the minute they say 'family only' the GF would know that's not her? 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Also, why would she want to be in these pics if she's meeting LW on their wedding day? I would think the minute they say 'family only' the GF would know that's not her? 
    This.
    I was in the wedding pictures with ex-bf's brother's wedding. I told them take some without me in case we broke up (probably a good sign we would eventually break up ).  I am still social media friends with the bride and meet up every time I am in town but I still feel bad about those wedding photos.
  • Ha! My cousin was dating a dude and we also had a very very small wedding for my sister.  We included him in the big family photo.
    I had a canvas made and he legit had to get cut off because be just didn’t fit it! I was sending it to my mom and dad in another country. He’d never see it.  He
    wasn't even standing close to my cousin so cutting him out was easy.  It wasn’t even done being MADE and they broke up!  Phew!

no advice.  Just my own story. 

• kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Why would you photoshop your sibling's ex out of wedding photos? Like, he was there, you can't change the past. 

I have a group family with my mom's extended family hanging in my office. It includes an ex aunt and ex uncle who have since divorced my mom's siblings. It also include my sister's husband, who was just a boyfriend at the time. That's what the family was at the time, and that's how I'll remember it. Things are always going to change over time. 
    I agree.  SIL and her FI broke up, and he was the best man.  She probably won't display our wedding photos with him in it anywhere, but we took photos with just the family, so there is something to appease her.  I'm never photo shopping him out - he was also a good friend, and it sucks that the relationship ended but I'm not going to erase memories of the good times just because there were bad times at the end.

• I have always stepped aside to let family have photos. I’ve been with FI for six years and I still do it. Maybe the GF will be upfront and volunteer. I don’t think that’s bad. I think it’s nice just to have photos of “mom, dad, daughter” or whatever sometimes. Just because we’re a couple doesn’t mean we need to be joined at the hip for every moment.