Wedding Woes
Options

This is why social media is the devil.

Dear Prudence,

My mom made me a tote bag as a birthday gift. I love it. She gave it to me early, on Mother’s Day, because she said she couldn’t wait. I stared at it in awe for a few seconds, said thank you, hugged her, then immediately took pictures to send to my friends. I didn’t post the pictures on social media, partly because I thought people would think it was weird that my mom gave me a present on Mother’s Day. Three days later, my mom posted a picture of the bag on her Instagram with the text “made this tote for my daughter. Did not get the reaction I hoped. Making it was fun because of the anticipation she would be excited.”

What the hell? First of all, who posts something like that on social media? Second, I was excited! I guess I didn’t express my excitement in a way that satisfied her? I commented on the post saying that I love the bag and I was excited, but I don’t know how else to address this. My husband thinks that my mom is stressed about other things in her life and taking it out on me, which may be true, but that is the kind of thing my mom will not ever admit to. I feel very hurt by the public Instagram post. Can you offer an objective opinion as to how this should be handled?

—Tote-ally Grateful

Re: This is why social media is the devil.

• Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Hee hee, I love the LW's sign-off name.

• Options
    Talk to her face to face and tell her how it made you feel.

This is why I stopped wishing people HBD on FB, or posting things in general. It is too stupid to spend time on.
  • Options
    Call your mother and say words to her about how you feel. 
  • Options
    This is something my granny {mum's mum} would do ....

This is such a passive-aggressive comment. Unfortunately, (large) praise is what the mother is looking for but didn't receive it.
    LW might just be better to just fluff it off and talk to their mother and give the praise she wants.

Age of social media. Always hard to please everyone.
  • Options
    It is weird to me that a person would post a public message criticizing someone else...knowing the person the message is about will probably read it.  But then, I'm not much for social media.

Is this a new (not-so-new) form of passive-aggressiveness?

I agree the LW should talk to her mother that she was hurt at the public forum used to complain about the reaction to the gift.  And, next time, say something to me.  Don't embarrass both of us like that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It is weird to me that a person would post a public message criticizing someone else...knowing the person the message is about will probably read it.  But then, I'm not much for social media.

I agree the LW should talk to her mother that she was hurt at the public forum used to complain about the reaction to the gift.  And, next time, say something to me.  Don't embarrass both of us like that. 
    It's weird, but a thing for some people. It's more a passive-aggressive way of doing it.
    My granny would 1000% do this if she had social media.
  • Options

Some people I see on FB are really passive aggressive or use it like we need to know about the workings of their child's 501 plan.   

FB should not be used to bash your family.  I judge anyone I see who uses FB to engage in personal drama.  
  • Options

This is why I stopped wishing people HBD on FB, or posting things in general. It is too stupid to spend time on.
    I don't wish people HBD b/c of this reason.  I get anxious about missing someone and their feelings getting hurt, so I just don't for anyone except K and my BFF of 20+ years.  just easier.

Agree with everyone else about speaking in person.  

That's some passive aggressive shit my former MIL would do, too.  Hell, she still does.  I've seen screenshots.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

I don't wish people HBD b/c of this reason.  I get anxious about missing someone and their feelings getting hurt, so I just don't for anyone except K and my BFF of 20+ years.  just easier.

That's some passive aggressive shit my former MIL would do, too.  Hell, she still does.  I've seen screenshots.
    How old is your former MIL? My granny is 78 and would if she had social media, I'm just wondering if it's an age thing
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    VarunaTT said:

How old is your former MIL? My granny is 78 and would if she had social media, I'm just wondering if it's an age thing
    It is a person thing, not an age thing. My parents don't do it (70 this year), and neither does my grandma (92 this year) or many, many other people. I do see lots of people mad/hurt/whatever but it crosses all ages
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited May 2019
    VarunaTT said:

Oh, former MIL is only in her late 50s?  She was always just a passive aggressive meanie.  I'd overhear things like, "Well, her family history is not the best, but she's come out all right," when she was talking to her friends about me before exDH and I married.  During the marriage, there were too many things to even summarize here and old Knotties probably know the stories (forcing exDH to go out of town the weekend before the vow renewal {{sub, we had eloped, so we did a vow renewal big dress and party}} -- granted he could've said no and both of his other brother did to the nonsense) And during the divorce, there were things like, "Well, now that your life isn't ruled by a controlling wench..." and then, "This is my daughter-in-law.  I'm finally a grandmother and with her [ex-DH] finally knows what real love is like."

ExDH did not control it with her.  The only time he stood up for me was when she told me I was selfish for not having a child for exDH, b/c we would die alone in nursing homes, being jacked off by the attendants.  Yeah, that was a super fucking great night.  And I was the meanie of the family because I refused to speak to her until she apologized.  Which she did...a year later, by EMAILING me, "I'm sorry but it was one of the worst nights of my life."  NO, just say you're sorry b/c it was a fucking horrible thing to say.

ETA:  Sorry, there is still some massive bitterness in me over that woman. No lie, when I moved into my apartment, I was walking around, relishing that exDH had never even breathed the air in the apartment and then I was like, "And I never have to speak to [former MIL] again."

• Options
    Wow, @VarunaTT, your former MIL is a real piece of work. So glad you’re away from her!
  • Options
    @VarunaTT Holy crap! No kidding there is some left over bitterness. I would have some too if I knew someone who pulled even HALF that crap :O 
    Last question {I swear!} was it just you or did she act like this to others?

The nursing home comment really shocked me, mainly because my mum's bff is going through courts because of a nursing home failed to care for both her parents :( 
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I think she was always pretty passive aggressive, but since she fell into the "she's so nice and sweet, she'd never do anything mean to anyone" category, people just took it.  I did not.  I can remember one time the ILs came in from OOT after moving.  They were in town for like...2, 3 weeks?  She guilt tripped the oldest brother to come in from a city 3 hours away, on a specific day that a tree fell on his house and his wife was OOT working, b/c "she needed her family all together" on that very specific one day in the 2-3 weeks they were going to be there, for whatever reason.  I was just like, This is BS, your son can come at a later time, b/c a TREE has fallen on his HOUSE, he might need to take care of that.  I also told brother he shouldn't have come, that he needed to stop giving into his mother and he just sighed and said, "This is easier."  Well, I am a goddamn adult and I didn't take it.  My "No" meant no, and I didn't provide explanations.  So, she didn't like me much.  *shrug*
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2019

Yes, unfortunately social media lends itself to various kinds of passive-aggressiveness.

My brother and I still don't talk after his ugly behavior to me this year which involved Facebook.
  • Options
    My Mom drives me nuts with social media. She got upset when I accepted a friend request from a sister she no longer talks to and called me to tell me she was hurt that I didn't "Like" the post she made about her and my dads anniversary. *eyeroll*. Also there was some tension between her and my MIL and MIL unfriended her which I found petty but come on are we in high school, why do we have to takes social media so serious.