Wedding Woes

Chicago

I've just confirmed that H and I are going to be in Chicago on July 4th weekend. We've got an extra day to fill doing fun things. Any recommendations for things to do, food, breweries, or whatever else? I know there are some locals on here. 

We're staying downtown, near the bean. Won't have a car, but I'm good with uber and public transportation. Not sure if that's relevant.

Re: Chicago

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2019
    The first McD's is there...  Neat to see/drive past..  Great America and Medieval Times are good too but a hike...
  • Go have a drink on the top floor of the Hancock building and look out over the city. Expensive drinks but you would spend the same to do the observation deck. And, fyi, the best views are from the women's restroom.

The bean is fun. I would skip the pier. Shopping along Michigan. 
    Several of the major museums are fun - Shedd and Field. 
  • Take an architectural tour on a boat on the Chicago River - there a different ones to choose. There are also several Frank Lloyd Wright houses if you are interested in that. The Museum of Science and Industry near the UofC is a little farther but lots of fun - not just for kids! Walk along Lakeshore - path not the street. Look to see what plays are playing and maybe get a day of ticket.
  • I loved Girl & the Goat for a pricier but delicious dinner  and totally agree with the Architecture Boat tour! Also the Art Institute is amazing and tear to Millennium Park & Grant Park. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I second architectural boat tour if its a nice day. We did a cupcake walking tour which was fun and a nice way to see some places I hadn't otherwise visited. I think there are also pizza tours and other food tours although some sell out ahead of time. 

Maggie Daley park is fun to walk around, it's a park and playground but I think its neat for adults and then you can walk over to the lake from there too (its a nice segway between the bean and the lake)
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Nothing helpful in a specific way to add -I haven't been yet- but the Mets just played the Cubs and I think it every time that I have to get to Wrigley for a game.  Such a pretty stadium.  And I've heard good things about the (deep dish) pizza.  Enjoy!
  • eileenrob said:
    Nothing helpful in a specific way to add -I haven't been yet- but the Mets just played the Cubs and I think it every time that I have to get to Wrigley for a game.  Such a pretty stadium.  And I've heard good things about the (deep dish) pizza.  Enjoy!
    I second this! 

We went to a Cubs game on the 4th a few years ago at Wrigley and it was a ton of fun!! And there were fireworks after the game which was neat.  
  • I loved Girl & the Goat for a pricier but delicious dinner  and totally agree with the Architecture Boat tour! Also the Art Institute is amazing and tear to Millennium Park & Grant Park. 
    If you go the Girl and the Goat, make reservations now. Their walk in wait time is long - unless it has changed in the last year.

• We love Chinatown in Chicago.  We do either Daebak Korean BBQ or Little Sheep Hot Pot.  In the shopping center where Daebak is located, there is a candy store with different types of candies and snacks imported from asian countries and some great places for awesome bubble tea.  Bonchon has fantastic korean fried chicken wings too.  We love just hanging out there for a while and exploring. 

We always stay near Millenium Park or in River North (across the river from Millenium Park).  We walk to Xoco and pick up some pistachio glazed churros every time we are in Chicago to have a treat back at the hotel.  The last time we went we had a quick lunch at Naf Naf Grill (Chipotle concept for Middle Eastern food) that was great.  Nando's for peri peri chicken is another winner.  Both are close to the Bean on Michigan Ave.

Architectural boat tours are really interesting.  They can be pricy, but we found a groupon when we went.  We love the Science and Industry museum and Field museum.  Water taxi ride from the museum campus to Navy Pier is fun too when the weather is nice.
  • City Winery on the Riverwalk is super fun in the summer time.  If you're a baseball fan, Wrigleyvile is fun even if you dont' end up going to a game.  Lincoln Park Zoo is fun (and free!) and there are lots of good restaurants and coffee shops in that neighborhood.  The bean is just fun to walk by and do pictures, and the huge fountain on the south side of the park near the lake is beautiful!
  • When we when we have guests visit one of my favorite places is the Tribune building. It has pieces of other buildings attached on the outside from places like themTaj Mahal, Westminster Abbey, the great pyramid of Egypt. The architecture boat tour is great. The Bean is alway interesting. The Riverwalk is nice to stroll and good for pictures.

Have a wonderful time. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    Another vote for the boat tours!  Because you can be dropped off right at the gate if you take the train, take a trip to the suburbs and hit up Arlington Park Race Track!
  • Yes!!  Arlington Park is SO fun (if you're ok with horse racing, not everyone is) and it's supposed to be pretty nice this weekend. 
  • Thanks all! Sorry to post and run; I've been in office training all week. I had the boat tour on my list, so now it's a must. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    I would definitely go to Wrigley Field/Wrigleyville if possible.  I LOVE the Chicago art museum (Art Institute of Chicago).  They have some incredible works in their collection like American Gothic and The Old Guitarist.  Definitely worth a visit.

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    we were just there and, of course, all the museums.
    We did Pequods for pizza and were NOT disappointed.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited June 2019
    I feel, since I live 1/2 hr away from the city, I should be chipping in - boat tour for sure (it just got high rated reviews).  If you like jazz check this place out: https://buddyguy.com/index.cfm
    fave to eat: https://www.monkspubchicago.com/location/monks-pub/

• GBCK said:

I think Pequod's is by far the best Chicago pizza!!  Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, and Gino's are all good too, but man - hard to beat Pequod's!
  • Casadena said:
    GBCK said:

I think Pequod's is by far the best Chicago pizza!!  Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, and Gino's are all good too, but man - hard to beat Pequod's!
    My sister in law said the SAME thing!  I’ll have to go one day

• I agree about Pequod's! I'm not a fan of Giordano's. Lou Malnati's is my fave after Pequod's.
  • I agree about Pequod's! I'm not a fan of Giordano's. Lou Malnati's is my fave after Pequod's.
    See?  Now I need to go back and visit Chicago, lol.  We got to Lou Malnati's and Giordano's.  We liked them both, but preferred Giordano's.  In fact, Malnati's was walking distance from our hotel and was our first meal in Chicago.

Pequod's sounds familiar, so I'm sure it was recommended to me.  But so much good food and so little time! lol.

They've already been mentioned multiple times.  But both mine and my H's favorite thing we did was the architectural boat tour.  My two favorite museums are the natural history one (I think it's Fields) and the Art Institute of Chicago.

The first time I went to the Art Institute of Chicago was over 20 years ago.  I am by no means an art connoisseur.  If I recognize a painting, that's because it's famous AF.  About halfway through that first visit, it hits me, "Ya know.  I've recognized a lot of these paintings and sculptures.  Wow! This must really be a world class art museum, lol."

And back to food.  If you like high tea, there's a Russian restaurant about half a block from the art museum that was awesome.  There are different levels of high tea you can order, but we went whole hog.  So many varieties of yummy two-bite savory snacks and sweet treats.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    I forgot!  Speaking of food, if they still offer it, and you live for chocolate, a restaurant in The Peninsula Hotel hosts a chocolate bar ......
    http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-eats/2017/08/the-chocolate-bar-at-the-pen-may-just-be-the-best-bar-in-town/

Garrett's popcorn is yummy, as is a slice of Eli's cheesecake. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I’ve never heard of Pequods and I’ve been to chicago a bunch. Need to check this out

art museum is great. I remember it used to be free 1 weekday night each week or month and I’d go after work on those days just to look at my favorite paintings for a bit. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    and, because this is the think I always preach...
    If you have a local museum you're thinking of buying a membership to, remember reciprocal memberships are a thing.

My membership at my museum (which would cost me $75 if I bought it, instead of the employee price) incl. ASTC museums (assoc. sci & tech. centers). Which means we got in free to the planetarium, the field, the mus. of sci and industry in Chicago.  Realistically, if the ONLY reason we bought it was to go to Chicago, it would probably still be worth it.  But it's not just the ASTC, I know the Shedd has a few partners, so does the art museum.
    Worth considering if there's someplace you want to go