Wedding Woes

What day is it?

I can't remember the day to save my life. Monday holidays always screw with my sense of time. Not much going on today. Getting my eyebrows done in a little bit - boy do they need it! The ice maker is finally getting repaired as I type! Tonight is the first play of the year with my girls' group. We go to our city's theater to see the preview (kind of a dress rehearsal) performances. We always go out to dinner before hand so it is a fun evening.

What about y'all?

Re: What day is it?

• I'm having a Monday.  I've been off since Friday and left for work without my name badge.  Not a big deal as I work in an employee only space so not meeting with patients.  Except.... my desk key is attached to it and my computer is locked in my desk drawer.  DH to the rescue!  

We had an Indian wedding this weekend.  Started Friday night with the henna party, Saturday with religious ceremonies in the morning and dance in the evening.  Sunday morning was the grooms procession, wedding ceremony and lunch.  Sunday evening was cocktail hours and then reception and dinner.  It was beautiful and fun.  Our friends were very helpful in explaining things and made us feel very welcome.  I feel like I want to buy a saree now - so beautiful!  If you ever have the chance to attend - do it!

Yesterday I took off to do things at home and get ready to pack for our cruise.  We leave Sunday to stay at a hotel near the airport.  We'll have dinner with friends and then fly out Monday morning.  I have a feeling DH will be pulling clothes out on Saturday and then some will need washing or we'll have to go to the store.  I remind him to do things but somehow he keeps thinking we have all this time left.  Get going - sheesh!

• I slept not that great last night.  Then when I was standing up after bending over at the sink, my back jolted.  It's currently at a dull ache and my chiro isn't even in the office until 2!  I just hope she can fit me in.  I do have yoga tonight, so at the very least, I will have that to help me stretch it out some.
  • Just finished at the gym. It took me 45 minutes to make the normal 15 min drive because of traffic. So annoying. I have errands and house stuff to do today. Otherwise not much is happening. 

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2019
    I texted one of my BFF's this morning that I had this dream last night about how I was PISSED and screaming unintelligent shit about how I didn't want to adult.  

A half hour later, my internet went out and I had to go into the office because they can't fix it until tomorrow.  My dream was apparently prophetic.  

Other than that, SSDD.  
  • @ILoveBeachMusic have fun at the theatre! 
    @mmebride, where are you going on your cruise?

i heard Chicago traffic was bad.  Still working from home. I put in a request for my day off tomorrow but so far boss hasn’t approved it.  I need the approval before I submit my hours otherwise it’s all cray cray and I end up with the whole week as pto logged. Stupid system. I think he’s out too 😞

• Speaking of not knowing what damn day it is, I almost forgot it's DefConn's early out day.  I have to leave work earlier than I thought.  Glad I remembered in time.  I left for the office after he got on the bus this morning, so he has no idea I'm not home. 

Also, having no internet is going to make us feel like we're Amish or something. LMAO  ;) 
  • I had a really productive morning at work.  I'm still overwhelmed to try and get everything done by Thurs., because I want to take Fri. off, lol.  But at least I made some good headway!

I got my first credit card bill from the Wells Fargo Home improvement card I opened to help pay for the HVAC work.  It's a $13K balance and the minimum payment is something like $455!  Darn you, Wells Fargo.  Ouchies!  It's okay and I'll manage, lol.  It's 12 months interest-free and I am going to pay it off in that timeframe.  But was thinking I could get by with a couple hundred bucks/month, until the renovations are over.  It depends, but 'ccs usually have minimum payments that are 1-2% of the balance so I was surprised how high this one is.

The renovations are mostly going along fine, but so much slower than I was expecting and I'm annoyed by that.  I know my H is stressed out with it and working hard when he is there.  But it seems like only 4-6 hour days are happening and that's not going to cut it.  We did purchase a paint sprayer...there is SO much painting...so I really hope that speeds it along.  However, most of the time painting takes anyway is the prep work.

I'll post the before/after pics once we get the first unit done.  Which (God help me!) should be soon.  I don't know if I told you all, but we're going to try out acrylic kitchen counter tops.  We've already experimented and liked the way they came out.  We can make them ourselves for super cheap, but they're sturdier and look better than laminate counter tops.  We're going to be using wood edges and border (staining that a light-medium oak), with a marble-look tile on the inside. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Work has been surprisingly busy (at least the last couple days have been going fast).  Just getting lots of random cleaning and organizing done at home a little at a time - so that feels good too.  

So, I've been entering the lottery to win $10 Hamilton tickets for almost a year.  We saw the show last Friday, and since then (as in, the last 4 days), I've won TWICE. I turned them down for yesterday, but I don't know if I can do it again, lol.  I think i'm going to ask a friend to go with me tomorrow night.  H would love to see it again, but will not miss the Bears/Packers game to do it.  

• @CharmedPam - we are doing a 7 night Alaskan Cruise.
  • Oh wow!  I didn't realize.  I was just reading an article online on my local newspaper site.  Because the docks for Port Canaveral and Port Miami were closed due to the impending hurricane, two cruise ships were re-routed to NOLA yesterday and thousands of people got stranded here.

Apparently, it had started to turn into a s**t show on the cruises.  They were originally supposed to go to the Bahamas.  But meandered around and ended up in Cozumel instead.  The cruise was longer than it should have been and the ship started running low on supplies, including food.

It sounds like, once they docked in NOLA, the cruise lines put people in hotels and have been helping them get flights home.  I hope at least some of the passengers enjoyed their unexpected trip here and saw it as a silver lining.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah one of my friends is trapped on a cruise circling Cuba waiting to be able to dock in the US. Her kids are missing the whole first week of school. Mess. 
  • I have felt terrible the last 2 days. I have a headache, I’m exhausted, and I have zero motivation. 

And now someone is hammering in my office. 
  • Yeah one of my friends is trapped on a cruise circling Cuba waiting to be able to dock in the US. Her kids are missing the whole first week of school. Mess. 
    oh wow.  I had wondered what happened to all of the cruises that were likely out to sea when the storm started approaching. 
  • My kids' first day of school went well, my work day was okay too.  One of my aunts who has advanced Parkinson's attempted suicide yesterday evening. My mom is an absolute wreck, I feel bad for everyone with a mix of that helpless-but-wish-i-could-help someone feeling. 
  • So sorry @ei34.  Thoughts are with you and your family.

hope anyone in the path of Dorian stays safe.  Interesting story @short+sassy about the cruise lines helping the stranded families. 

• I'll come back and reply to posts but

1 - I hope everyone here is safe from hurricane!

2 - BabyKitten had a shit night. Part of a molar broke, so we don't know if this is the rest bugging her or another tooth coming. We were up at 6am so she had an early nap and I've had coffees lol
    We may have also hit a growth spurt

3 - I looked up the timeline and BabyKitten starts school in 3yrs {aka 36 months}
    WHY DOES IT SEEM LIKE SUCH A SHORT TIME WHEN SAID IN MONTHS!?
  • ei34 - I'm so sorry!  Prayers for your aunt and those around her.
  • The cruise thing is so freaky. Being trapped is my biggest issue with cruises. (I'm mildly claustrophobic anyway). Being stuck on a cruise ship during a storm would be my worst nightmare. Potentially running out of food and clean water, or fuel and sanitation are terrifying. Not to mention the hassle of having to take extra vacation days, pay extra to board pets longer, have kids out of school, etc for the privilege of being trapped. My mom keeps asking me why I don't want to go on a cruise; this is exactly why! 
  • @ei34 oh I'm so sorry :(

@ILoveBeachMusic Urg I need brows done soon too -.-'

@MNNEBride oh an Indian wedding! Those always look amazing. Did they explain why it goes over a few days? I've never known much detail about them.
  • The cruise thing is so freaky. Being trapped is my biggest issue with cruises. (I'm mildly claustrophobic anyway). Being stuck on a cruise ship during a storm would be my worst nightmare. Potentially running out of food and clean water, or fuel and sanitation are terrifying. Not to mention the hassle of having to take extra vacation days, pay extra to board pets longer, have kids out of school, etc for the privilege of being trapped. My mom keeps asking me why I don't want to go on a cruise; this is exactly why! 
    This is why I cruise out of hurricane season! We go Feb/March usually.  I think the cost is more because it’s in higher demand, right?

I know someone on here did noom. Was it @iLoveBeachMusic?  Do you like it?  What exactly IS it?  Is it far from ww?  

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2019
    The cruise thing is so freaky. Being trapped is my biggest issue with cruises. (I'm mildly claustrophobic anyway). Being stuck on a cruise ship during a storm would be my worst nightmare. Potentially running out of food and clean water, or fuel and sanitation are terrifying. Not to mention the hassle of having to take extra vacation days, pay extra to board pets longer, have kids out of school, etc for the privilege of being trapped. My mom keeps asking me why I don't want to go on a cruise; this is exactly why! 
    One of the passengers described her ordeal like the song Hotel California...you check in, but you can never check out.

Technically hurricane season is June 1st to Nov. 1st.  But 75% of the big ones hit in Aug. and Sept.  It's already been such terrible news for the Bahamas and I hope everyone in its path stays safe.  At least it's stayed offshore instead of going through FL.  Though on the negative side, that's probably also why it's kept it's strength and longer duration. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So sorry to hear that Eileen 
    This is why I cruise out of hurricane season! We go Feb/March usually.  I think the cost is more because it’s in higher demand, right?

I know someone on here did noom. Was it @iLoveBeachMusic?  Do you like it?  What exactly IS it?  Is it far from ww?  
    Yes it's me. I've been doing it for 3 weeks and am down 4 lbs. It is sort of like WW but not. They don't use a point system but rather a color system: green, yellow and red. Based on age, sex ,height and current weight they determine a calorie range. Most of your calories (I can't remember the percentage) should come from the yellow group (lean meats, starchy veggies, whole grains) followed by green (fruits, veggies and some lean meats) and red is the smallest percentage (oil, fats, sweets, alcohol). It is done on an app on the phone. I wish there was an app for the computer. They send you assignments everyday to do making you think about food behavior and retraining it. You are assigned a individual coach and a group coach. Once you have a group, some of the assignments are to tell your group things. I think I like it better than WW because it is a daily accountability. The first two weeks were a free trial then 4 months for $128 by going through their website. Some people in my group said if you sign up through the app it is more expensive (don't know why).
  • Ok that explains it very well.  Thanks!  The reviews and commercials are good.  I may give this a a go!  I hate that I need to track in order for this to work 😞

• @MissKittyDanger - I've only been to 2 Indian weddings and both ran Friday -Sunday.  There are many different rituals and ceremonies.  My understanding is that they can go a whole week in India and include the whole community.  Here is a close description of the weddings I have attended.

https://todaysbride.com/blog/planning/2018/11/29/traditional-indian-wedding-customs/