Wedding Woes

Tuesday

I had to start it.  I need your help.  I’m putting together my Halloween costume and the theme is “alien invasion”. I want to make this cape myself - and I LOVE the collar piece.  Does anyone know where to even start to find something like this?  I’m also wondering if this is supposed to be a head piece and maybe they turned it into a collar.  Any help would be appreciated!    

Re: Tuesday

• @CharmedPam I FUCKING LOVE THAT CAPE!!!! Check Hallowe'en stores first. If you know anyone who cosplays, ask them also.
  • So does anyone here (spouses or self) play the Fall Out series? M and I had a discussion and there isn't strong backup confirming, but there is actually some backup confirming a theory I had last night.
    {M is watching someone play Fall Out - New Vegas and they're talking about various vaults}

If no one does I can still get into it - vaults were human experiments, but theory is more about vaul-tec the company that owns the vaults, etc. - in case anyone is interested.

Last night we just randomly decided to play some music and BabyKitten was dancing. Those toddler dance moves are really coming in strong :smiley:  If I can figure it out, I may post one vid here later.
    I got videos of her dancing to "old town road" Billy Ray & Lil Naz version and "superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.
    I had her briefly kinda doing the chicken dance lmao I use to play that with her when she sat on my lap, so part of me wonders if she still remembers it sorta.

That upper right molar seems to be powering thru. We got a brief look last night. And possibly a canine beside it is coming also.
    She was up from 1230 - 3 ... she tried to sleep a few times but just struggled.

Tomorrow is her belated 15 month appt, so we're hoping she'll sleep in a bit because it'll be skipping her morning nap. I'm just hoping it'll go well because shots are rough :(
  • @CharmedPam, that's gorgeous!  I see why you like the collar.  I have zero craft or sewing skills, lol.  But I wonder if you could find something like that in more the home décor or gardening categories.  I could see it being made out of a really light and flexible metal.

However on a very un-Halloween/Oct. feeling, my H went to take a shower Sun. afternoon after a super hot day of working on the duplexes.  And he had to double-check he hadn't accidentally turned the hot water on.  Nope.  Our COLD water was coming out at 84 degrees (he tested it), lol.

I want to take tomorrow and Fri. off this week to use some of my vacation time.  I almost dare not write that because I don't want to Fate to hear that I'm busy, but I think caught up enough at work to do that, lol.

My new contacts came in and my H is picking them up today!  They're colored contacts and I've had them before.  They're a turquoise color that's similar to my natural light-medium blue color, but amps that color up by brightening and darkening it.  I love the effect.  Plus, the contacts aren't a "solid" color.  They are Freshlook "Colorblends".  They have different shaded flecks and small clear areas to give a more natural look.

I found out the hard way you need to be really careful with the Colorblends, though.  Because some of your own eye color comes through also, they work best when you're using a complimentary/similar color to your own eyes.  I tried the Amethyst a few years ago after I'd been so happy with the Turquoise.  They turned my eyes a hazel color.  They weren't shaded purple at all!  I still wore them so they wouldn't go to waste.  But it's so "meh" to put on colored contacts when you like your own eye color better, lmao.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • awwwww her dancing sounds cute, @MissKittyDanger.  Need to see this!
    @levioosa, you’re at the happiest place on earth.  No april Ludgate allowed (though I do love her)

• April Lindsay’s away @levioosa, id be cranky there too. 

I haven’t been feeling great that last few days and H is asking me 5,000 questions about it. He’s excited about having a baby, has no idea about babies/pregnancy/periods/birth control (seriously he asked me last night if PMS aid real) so he asks me everything he can think of. Great but I don’t know all the answers and I’m tired. It’s cute he’s so excited but also if he asks me how I’m feeling one more time how I’m feeling! 

Other than that not much; I’m teaching myself how to knit and I spent an hour working on it last night. I’m pretty bad but it’s fun. 
  • re: Halloween. If you have a Party City that is closing near you check it out. My store had 80% off costumes although I couldn't find anything to use for work. 

I haven’t been feeling great that last few days and H is asking me 5,000 questions about it. He’s excited about having a baby, has no idea about babies/pregnancy/periods/birth control (seriously he asked me last night if PMS aid real) so he asks me everything he can think of. Great but I don’t know all the answers and I’m tired. It’s cute he’s so excited but also if he asks me how I’m feeling one more time how I’m feeling! 

Other than that not much; I’m teaching myself how to knit and I spent an hour working on it last night. I’m pretty bad but it’s fun. 
    You should send him some good, comprehensive links on those subjects with instructions to "read these", before asking you any more questions, lol.

I hope you start feeling better.
    Haha that’s a great idea. He did ask for books to read so I’m helping him with that. 

He’s not an idiot or uniformed he’s just, excited and wants to know more but doesn’t know where to start. 
  • @charlotte989875 I know it sounds weird, but you could easily get pregnancy symptoms shortly after conceiving. I looked for every symptom and thought something was it .... until I had a few - then doubted myself lmao!

@CharmedPam if you can watch, I have it currently on my insta stories
    instagram.com/misskt
    If you can't, let me know and I'll try to upload {I may still lol}

I found a Detective Pikachu hat but I'm not thrilled.
    Seems a little expensive for just a hat with ears :\  Speaking of which, I'm not thrilled with the ears.

https://www.amazon.ca/Detective-Pikachu-Childrens-Cosplay-Costume/dp/B07S3H1B47/ref=sr_1_2?crid=6T8P91B38P93&keywords=detective+pikachu+costume&qid=1568130822&s=gateway&sprefix=detective+pikachu+cos%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-2
  • MKD - I love toddler dancing!

Charlotte - What about getting a daddy book for DH, so he can read how it all works!  LOL!  

Charmed - I'm pretty crafty, but I'm at a loss on how to do that collar.  Unless you somehow have access to a 3D printer?  But we have our very own costume designer here - maybe Varuna can help!

S+S - Fingers crossed you can get your day off!

Last night was good.  I was able to keep DD entertained on her own enough that I was able to also work on the cake.  It came out pretty good! The shower is in a few hours and I can't wait to eat it!!!!

Our siding guys start tomorrow.  I'm so excited!!!  They dropped off some stuff and our dumpsters are getting delivered today.  We will have to take out the A/C units from our bedrooms, which sucks.  Its been cooler, but tomorrow and Wednesday are supposed to be back in the 90s for us.  I will also have to empty out the china cabinet, which the contractor recommends just in case.  So there is still a bunch to do tonight!

You should send him some good, comprehensive links on those subjects with instructions to "read these", before asking you any more questions, lol.

Haha that’s a great idea. He did ask for books to read so I’m helping him with that. 

He’s not an idiot or uniformed he’s just, excited and wants to know more but doesn’t know where to start. 
    Oh, for sure!  I don't have that impression at all.  In fact, it's with the intelligent guys that having more info can backfire on you!  He might have even more and advanced questions, once he has the basics down, lol.

It's awesome he's so excited that he's looking for book suggestions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2019
    @CharmedPam I think you're going to have to combine some patterns to get close.

This cape would probably be best, b/c the 2nd collar attachment I'm posting is going to require being tied TO the cape and you can easily loop those ribbons into it a number of different ways:  https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m2016

Collars:
    https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m2083
    https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m2118

Otherwise, the structure on that Alice Corset (I'm pretty sure I follow them on Instagram) is pretty intense to get the back drop off/cold shoulder like that.  Most of their stuff is bespoke.  You might be able to recreate some stuff through the EVA foam and there's loads of tutorials on YouTube for working with that.  You'll need to find some specifically that deal with attaching fabric, b/c even w/a light gossamer, that cape is going to be heavy.

Another method might be to grab one of the "vampire" type capes and after you create the collar, basically exacto knife the filigree in.  I'm not 100% sure about that though, b/c you might end up with frayed fabric.  So, I think using the boning might be you closer to what you want.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2019
    @CharmedPam Here's some close up video and shots of that collar on Insta:  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz8rikpIEvG/

And I found a pattern for a "cold shoulder" cape that might be a better starting spot:  https://sewguide.com/cape-diy-patterns/#1_make_an_easy_cold-shouldered_circular_cape

Oh, for sure!  I don't have that impression at all.  In fact, it's with the intelligent guys that having more info can backfire on you!  He might have even more and advanced questions, once he has the basics down, lol.

H bought a few books as well for both pregnancy and once the baby's here. For pregnancy, he bought We're Pregnant by Adrian Kulp and The Expectant Father for Armin Brott. He also bought What to Expect: the 1st year for both us, and The Baby Owner's Manual, which is equal parts hilarious and informative. 
  • @missJeanLouise that is the fucking cutest!

@cupcait927 @charlotte989875 look for "happiest baby on the block" and "happiest toddler on the block" for later.
  • @short+sassy our cold water gets hot here too. We turn off the hot water heater. The hot water heater stores water inside so it is cooler than that coming from outside. We do this from May to October basically.

Less than 2 weeks before my bestie gets here and I am stoked. I half want to make DH bunk with her BF so we can have slumber parties like when we were roomies, lol.

I got a call today that our Villa has been sold to a new owner. We have to give notice if we plan on moving next month and I REALLY hope they don't try to up our rent or that we are forced to move. I was not prepared for this. 😒

It is going to be "cold" in Berlin when we go next month so DH got DS some "cold weather gear". 

That's hilarious!  And a great idea.  Though, unfortunately, our hot water heater is outside anyway.

Such cute pics!  His little feet with the rolled up cuffs are adorable.  His hats says Berlin weather.  His shirt says UAE weather, lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @missJeanLouise he is just the cutest! I love that hat.
  • MJL how cute! And how is that baby old enough to be walking?!?!
  • AHHHH THE BABY CARHARTT IS KILLING ME DEAD!  He's so freaking adorable!

H bought a few books as well for both pregnancy and once the baby's here. For pregnancy, he bought We're Pregnant by Adrian Kulp and The Expectant Father for Armin Brott. He also bought What to Expect: the 1st year for both us, and The Baby Owner's Manual, which is equal parts hilarious and informative. 
    Thank you!!

this one is already in my Amazon cart so I’m really glad you recommended it! 
  • mrsconn23 said:
     AHHHH THE BABY CARHARTT IS KILLING ME DEAD!  He's so freaking adorable!
    Co-signed. 

Super adorable!!
  • @missJeanLouise wow, beyond adorable...can't believe he's standing!  @MissKittyDanger the hat is cute but I agree it's a bit pricey because it's just a hat.  I mean I've gone with the $60 Pottery Barn Kids costumes in the past so I'm certainly not against spending money on kids' Halloween costumes but the headpiece was always what my kids were ripping off at 15 months. 
    @short+sassy hope you can wrangle a day off soon!  @mrsconn23 it sounds cliche but what has helped me is one of those large calendars meant for desks, I buy them from Staples but they're everywhere, I hang it on the wall and each kid gets their own color, as well as family events, dr appts, therapy sessiosn, etc.  Once a couple weeks out events go into my phone too, but the calendar on the wall is nice for displaying the big picture
    The new job continues to be meh.  Principal of the school I interviewed at yesterday asked me for references today, so that's interesting.  I have a PTA meeting and Meet the Teacher Night at my kids' school in a couple hours.
  • @ei34 yeh I think I'm just gonna see if I can find a knock off because she won't wear it. It's really only for just family. Maybe a couple houses but idk ... she's not ready for trick-or-treating yet
  • MJL - So cute!  I love babies in overalls!!!!  I'm going to get a new pair for DD soon, but need to make sure it will work with her going potty!
  • Thanks for those patterns @VarunaT. Great start. Yes yhats where Ingot the idea from but she’s not takikg new orders till Feb 2020.